Help with HDMI No Signal from PS3 on Onkyo and Integra AVRs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some suggestions on troubleshooting/fixing two possibly related issues with HDMI signal from PS3s.

1. My in-laws have an Integra DTR-7.9 that has been working fine with a PS3 for 3 years. Recently (I'm not sure how recently as they don't frequently use it), the receiver starting displaying "No Signal" for the PS3. If I hook up the PS3 directly to the TV with the same cable, it works fine. A DirecTV receiver connected to the same receiver via HDMI works just fine. Nothing in the setup has changed - this sort of just happened.

2. I have an Onkyo TX-SR606 that I have used with a PS3 for 3 years. About 6 months ago, I started having an issue where when I power up my system, the Onkyo will not display anything from the PS3 for about 5 minutes. Then it works fine. Nothing changed. This happens every time, unless the TV and receiver had already been on for a while, and then I turn on the PS3. Again, this just happened.

My best guess is that a PS3 firmware update resulted in some change in the HDMI handshake that these "older" receivers have trouble with. Both of these PS3s are the non-slim 40GB models. Will I get anywhere by calling Sony regarding these out-of-warranty PS3s? Has anyone seen similar issues?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm betting those HDMI boards have failed in the receivers. The Onkyos are notorious for losing the HDMI boards, but the others are not immune. Mine failed on my Pio 1020, and a friend's Denon had the HDMI board go out a few weeks ago. I would think about borrowing a receiver from a friend and see if the problem goes away. OR maybe take your PS3 to a friend's house.

Have you tried resetting the display settings on the PS3? Hold the power button until you hear several beeps.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-19-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the suggestion.

1. I have reset the display on the PS3. When I do that, I see the PS3 menu asking if I want to use HDMI. Once I choose that, I get no signal.

2. I have connected other HDMI devices to the same ports on the receivers and they display fine. I did not confirm whether those devices were displaying at 1080p, like the PS3 probably is. I might try changing the PS3 to 1080i while connected directly to my television and then connect it back up to the receiver.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-19-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
That's exactly what I was thinking. I'd be kind of freaked out if I were in your position too
post #5 of 6 Old 10-11-2013, 03:43 PM

Liked: 24
I have be the same issue but with a new onkyo 818. Is there no solution to this?
post #6 of 6 Old 10-18-2013, 09:30 PM

Liked: 24
I solved the problem by disconnecting everything from the power outlet. Seriously. It sounds siliy but it works. There's probably an issue with the handshake between the Onkyo and the PS3 (or maybe it's my aging Samsung plasma). At anycase, disconnecting the power resets this protocol that is being kept around during standby. Try it.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page