The "Super-Slim" PS3 (4000 model series) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Tokyo Game Show 2012 Update: Here is the new model, due out 9/25/12 in the U.S.

Quote:
The new PS3 will be available in two different models, with 250GB and 500GB HDDs which will allow you to store even more of your digital life. It also features a smaller, streamlined design that will look great as part of any entertainment system. The new model is approximately 20% smaller and 25% lighter than the current PS3.

In order to maintain the superior gaming experiences that you expect from us here at PlayStation, we are always looking for ways to change and evolve with your gaming behavior. You might remember the smaller models that we launched for PlayStation 2 and PSP (PlayStation Portable), and we know that many of you love the opportunity to add these streamlined models to your home. Additionally, as developers continue to release deep and rich digital gaming content, providing an option for larger HDD is essential, especially for games with large DLC packs, and full game downloads, as well as personal entertainment content. The biggest and best games live on PS3 this holiday season, and the new PS3 is the perfect way to play.

We are also excited to announce that the launch of this new PS3 model will include incredible additional value. The 250GB PS3 will be available on September 25th for $269.99 (MSRP) as part of a limited edition bundle featuring UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception: Game of the Year Edition and a voucher for more than $30 worth of bonus digital content for the highly acclaimed digital title, DUST 514. This bundle offers more than $70 in total combined value.

Spec sheet:

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Looks like trying for the sub-$200 price before the end of the year. A bomb for Gamescom?

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #3 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Not surprising.

I always felt this slim we got was a quick and unscheduled redesign to get costs down and fix the major issues the phats had. Now the real slim is coming.
post #4 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
They are always evolving, this is like the 7th model. Nothing is quick and unscheduled in this business. The current slim was a huge success from every point of view. It allowed a $100 price drop into a mass market price range and spurred sales along with the view that Sony finally "turned the corner" with the PS3. It finally helped put the division in the black too.

We can only hope they new one is even cooler, quieter and cost less to produce and thus allow for a lower price point.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #5 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=536648&fcc_id=%27AK8CBEH19C1%27

According to Test Report doc, the wireless is still 802.11g. Why is it so difficult for Sony to upgrade to 802.11n that has been out for a long time and costs almost the same as g?
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1736319

The only picture is the bottom of the 4000 series. Without any measurement unit, there's no way to know the actual size.

Since Sony only produced one model design for 3000 series, it should have been called 2900 model as 2000 series consisted of 2000, 2100 and 2500.

So, what hardware features do you think Sony going to take out for 4000 series? Can't play DVD movies?
post #6 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Count on another big de-contenting hardware revision. One less USB port, smaller stock hard drive, maybe no more built in wifi and PS1 game support (since Sony wants to sell PS1 games on PSN).

The "real" Slim indeed, LMAO... rolleyes.gif
post #7 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Oh, and on a side note, if there is a de-contented super slim announced at GCM or TGS, this shows how much E3 has declined in importance for both the industry and consumer. Just like Nintendo saved the new Smash Bros. and the 3DS XL (which they completely lied about, i.e., they're not working on a 3DS hardware revision, just the next handheld), Sony saving an announcement this big is a direct repudiation of the importance of E3.
post #8 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
My current "slim" has been hurtin; getting loud and not connecting to the controllers wirelessly. I would pick up a new version for sure.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #9 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Not surprising.
I always felt this slim we got was a quick and unscheduled redesign to get costs down and fix the major issues the phats had. Now the real slim is coming.

Still a question if Sony knew anything about 3000 model design issue because it was more like a hurry cost savings cut. Calling it 3000 series was more like Sony had plan to continue with design even 3000 was really 2x00 series design. Assuming 4000 model is physically smaller, Sony can integrated more chips together with a smaller motherboard. The catch is not cramming too many electronics into a small box like the 1st slim PS2 model. It was nice being so small until it heats up. The tiny fan inside just screams.
post #10 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 12:45 PM

Liked: 13
My guess is that they will be offering a slim version with flash instead of a hard drive and just possibly, no blu-ray drive at all (download only).
post #11 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathindustrial View Post

My guess is that they will be offering a slim version with flash instead of a hard drive and just possibly, no blu-ray drive at all (download only).

With Sony now owns Gaikai, maybe 4000 model can only play streamed games. Why continue to put expensive hardware in PS3 if Sony can sell your a "dumb" game terminal?
post #12 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

With Sony now owns Gaikai, maybe 4000 model can only play streamed games. Why continue to put expensive hardware in PS3 if Sony can sell your a "dumb" game terminal?
I don't see them dropping the bluray drive. But they may drop the HDD, and it may launch alongside a preliminary Gaikai service.

Maybe this model will be Sony's response to MS's $99 with a 2-year XBL contract unit? Sony could sell it according to a similar payment plan, and include PS+ with it. That way they could sell it as a way of pushing their PS+ subscription service even further.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #13 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Talk of having no hard drive makes no sense. Like the Blu-ray laser, it is a feature required in too many PS3 games for that to be even considered.

I think streaming with the Gaikai tech is still too recent to expect as a primary feature in the 4K units, so the hard drive is even more important as digital product on the PSN continues to be pushed more and more.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new model was simply smaller and cooler at a $200 price tag.

post #14 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've read the new slim stories on a couple sites, lots of comments think that there will be on board flash in place of a HDD. I could see the savings in dollars and case space but comes at a cost. If Sony goes with a fixed amount of storage that you can't expand then how much is enough? I don't see why Sony would limit the potential sales a large HDD brings. When folks buy a large HDD they tend to fill it up, and if you can't get more space you might forgo that next download purchase. Maybe they change the OS so it will play games and movies off an external HDD?

Either way the storage goes this thing WILL have a BD drive. If not then Sony wants out of the console business.

post #15 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Flip-top lid disc access and external power supply is my guess. $149.99 - $169.99. If I'm right, no thanks (luckily my current slim shows no signs of trouble).
post #16 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

If Sony goes with a fixed amount of storage that you can't expand then how much is enough?
What makes you think you wouldn't be able to expand it? They could easily continue to include an HDD dock, and/or the usual 2 USB ports (for external and thumb drives). Plenty of viable workarounds in addition to whatever on-board memory (8-16gb?) they include.

post #17 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I really hope this one doesn't look like a cheap piece of crap like the current slim does. My aging 40 gig might not have much life left and I'd hate to replace it with that ugly turd.

500 gigs FTW.
post #18 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Pretty bad guess considering how much of a failure the PSP Go was.

500 gigs FTW.
post #19 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

What makes you think you wouldn't be able to expand it? They could easily continue to include an HDD dock, and/or the usual 2 USB ports (for external and thumb drives). Plenty of viable workarounds in addition to whatever on-board memory (8-16gb?) they include.

Even if they didn't include the drive, having an HDD bay would cancel out the space and money saving advantage of this theory. I suppose that Sony could allow external HDD and USB drives play games and movies (which would be nice), there's just no history of Sony supporting such a thing and it's unlikely they change now. I'm thinking they worked it out and kept the 2.5" HDD just to make sure all PS3's work the same.

Guess we'll know in August when Gamescom rolls around.

post #20 of 272 Old 07-05-2012, 05:27 PM

A driveless lower priced PS3 is a pretty good alternative to Apple TV, Google TB, Roku or Boxee as it can do the core streaming stuff (Netflix, Hulu, NHL, etc.) as well as games + web browsing at the same or near to same price point. The media management within the PS3 sucks for any large amount of files so the SSD does not need to be massive, just enough to handle a handful of full size games (which average between 2 and 14GB usually) and some smaller PSN downloads.

My PS3 phat that I used in the bedroom died a short while back and I would likely bite on a lower priced, quiet replacement. From the number of folks I see using Netflix in my friend's list I would say I am not the only one using the PS3 as a streaming device.

PSPGo is a different beast which was primarily killed by Sony's utterly botched execution (lack of day and date releases, crap DRM implementation, shoddy storefront, etc.).

Cheers
post #21 of 272 Old 07-06-2012, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member

The notion of no BD drive is idiotic. Sony practically owns the BDA, it is in their financial best interest to further and propagate the sales of BD games and movies.

Also, people are forgetting that the real money in games in made in software, not hardware. If there is no drive, many third parties will not be able to sell their games on the platform; no third party games = no royalties made from third parties selling their games.
post #22 of 272 Old 07-06-2012, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

Nonsense

Flash is a ton more expensive than a hard drive and they're not about to eliminate their primary distribution method of software and one of the primary secondary uses for the console (Playing various video discs).
post #23 of 272 Old 07-06-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There's some speculation at NeoGAF's forum that the new unit will include an improved PSEye (better depth perception according to patents). Also, a rumor says the new model's release will coincide with a firmware update that will have (among other things) a better browser.

post #24 of 272 Old 07-06-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Flash is a ton more expensive than a hard drive
Only if you're talking dollars-per-GB. But if the choice is between a 16GB flashdrive and a 320GB HDD, you're talking a substantial savings ($50-60 per unit).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 
Even if they didn't include the drive, having an HDD bay would cancel out the space and money saving advantage of this theory.
I don't think there's a big enough savings in cutting down the size of the units. The cost savings would be in using smaller flash drives rather than large HDDs. And there's no reason why Sony couldn't just keep an empty HDD bay to allow for upgrades. It would essentially be a direct answer to MS's arcade sku. Sony could still market it as a "PlayStation Media Player" or something, but it could still ultimately do everything a full-blown PS3 could do once you got a 2.5" in there.

And there's no way Sony would cut out the blu-ray player. Utter nonsense.

post #25 of 272 Old 07-06-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Going with 16/32gb of flash with an empty 2.5 bay would actually be a very smart cost saving measure for a bottom tier unit. Release a high tier unit with a larger flash and a 500gb hdd for those that want it. This would allow for a PS3 in the $150 range that can still play everything the current model can, it would just be lacking drive space for lots of downloadable games. More importantly, it would counter the Wii U fairly well.

Saves and system firmware stored on the flash drive and game installs, updates, dlc, all stored on the HDD seperately... This is actually a brilliant solution since flash has a lot less issues than hdds... I'll buy one day one if this is how they work.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #26 of 272 Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That would be interesting.

post #27 of 272 Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM

If you ditch the blu-ray drive, you arguably have a more compelling version of this:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=NSZGS7

It would allow them to take advantage of all the PSN content as well while staving off those switching to alternatives like Apple TV.

Blu-Ray is accounting for less than 30% of new disk sales in the US. The format itself is arguably less desirable than DVD in every single aspect other than picture quality and adoption is slowing down:

http://www.digital-digest.com/blog/DVDGuy/2012/05/09/blu-ray-the-state-of-play-may-2012/

It is likely that by the time blu-ray could have become dominant, it will already be irrelevant to most consumers as they will have already switched to streaming options. Getting customers hooked on PSN is far more important long term than having a few more blu-ray players in the field.

Cheers
post #28 of 272 Old 07-06-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you ditch the blu-ray drive, you arguably have a more compelling version of this:
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=NSZGS7
It would allow them to take advantage of all the PSN content as well while staving off those switching to alternatives like Apple TV.
Blu-Ray is accounting for less than 30% of new disk sales in the US. The format itself is arguably less desirable than DVD in every single aspect other than picture quality and adoption is slowing down:
http://www.digital-digest.com/blog/DVDGuy/2012/05/09/blu-ray-the-state-of-play-may-2012/
It is likely that by the time blu-ray could have become dominant, it will already be irrelevant to most consumers as they will have already switched to streaming options. Getting customers hooked on PSN is far more important long term than having a few more blu-ray players in the field.
Cheers
That would only be true if blu-ray was just for movies, but it's not. Without it, the majority of the PS3 game library would be useless. Sony can't afford to ditch it for a redesigned PS3.

post #29 of 272 Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

Only if you're talking dollars-per-GB. But if the choice is between a 16GB flashdrive and a 320GB HDD, you're talking a substantial savings ($50-60 per unit).
I don't think there's a big enough savings in cutting down the size of the units. The cost savings would be in using smaller flash drives rather than large HDDs. And there's no reason why Sony couldn't just keep an empty HDD bay to allow for upgrades. It would essentially be a direct answer to MS's arcade sku. Sony could still market it as a "PlayStation Media Player" or something, but it could still ultimately do everything a full-blown PS3 could do once you got a 2.5" in there.
And there's no way Sony would cut out the blu-ray player. Utter nonsense.

The mandatory installations of some of the most popular software on the platform would eart up a huge chunk of those 16 gigs.

It isn't going to happen. A hard drive is a required item for the PS3. They're not going to ever not include one and just provide a few gigs of flash memory in its place.

And the Blu-Ray drive also isn't going anywhere. I don't know why people dream up such things when they're not even practical let alone desirable.
post #30 of 272 Old 07-06-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:

That would only be true if blu-ray was just for movies, but it's not. Without it, the majority of the PS3 game library would be useless. Sony can't afford to ditch it for a redesigned PS3.

I would argue that a low end slim is a media box first, game machine second. It's competition would primarily be Apple TV, Google TV, Roku, Boxee, etc. Folks coming from Apple / Google realm are used to buying <$10 apps (which means small file sizes) so the fact that you can't fit multiple large PSN games on it is mostly irrelevant.

Part of it boils down to what sorts of savings we are talking about. If removing the blu-ray drive gets the price down to $150 or lower then that could be pretty compelling no?

Cheers
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page