Console RPG thoughts... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
You know, I love my RPGs - It's a good time for RPGs lately.

Having recently finished Mass Effect 2, and of late played (but not finished yet) Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon’s Dogma and the old school Chrono Cross, I’m SO in RPG mode right now.

On a side-note, I put in Skyrim last night to get back to that for a bit and… wow. It is SO far ahead of the others in graphics, world, NPCs, sound, music, depth and quality. What a freakin’ amazing game. You play the others to Win, or to finish. With Skyrim, you just kind of live in the world.

I sat in the bar in Whiterun, and listened to some converations, then requested “Ragnar the Red” from the Bard and sat and listened.

Admittedly, it's not perfect, but in my opinion, Skyrim freakin’ rocks.

Overall though, it's a great time for Console RPGs, I'm having a blast.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 185
Yeah, I've recently got the bug myself after having ignored RPGs this gen. Dragon's Age 2 was about the only one I went through until late last year.

In the past six months I've beaten Mass Effect 2 and Eternal Sonata (JRPG - so-so story, good classical music, very fun and challenging battle system).

I had planned to go through Kingdoms of Amalur, but was waiting for a patch to increase the difficulty since I get bored really quickly when a game offers little challenge. Too bad the company went under; the patch will likely never come. So I figure this summer I'll either go with Valkyrie Chronicles (strategy RPG) or dive right into Skyrim.

On a related note, Namco is increasing its Tales of... series output on Western PS3s, so those are JRPG options I will keep my eye on.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #3 of 24 Old 07-05-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I remember lots of complaining happening in 2007 about the lack of RPG's on the "new hardware". Nowadays seems like there's more RPG's than anyone could ever play in a reasonable amount of time. These things take time to make, so now we're getting quite the flood but it's a good flood.

I've put too many hours in Skyrim myself- it's one of the few games that makes me stop and just look at the landscape because the visuals are so well done. I'm almost finished with the main story, afterwards I'll be starting a thief/dark brotherhood play through, with a female character to check out the differences.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #4 of 24 Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I've gone the RPG route recently myself , starting in December with Mass Effect 2. I then proceeded to Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 3. My problem is turn-based combat doesn't appeal to me (I prefer action RPGs), and I'm not really into dragons, knights, and trolls, so my selection is limited at the moment. I'd jump on Fallout New Vegas in a heartbeat if it wasn't so buggy and freeze-prone. I'm still considering Dragon Age II, as the combat feels better and I can put up with dragons and wizards if the story and the gameplay are good overall.
post #5 of 24 Old 07-05-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Zook, my son played Fallout New Vegas (the Ultimate Edition, with all the DLC included) like two or three times through, and said, the bugs, etc. weren't much of an issue. He's kinda like me, in that we're not nitpicky and hyper-critical. He said there were a couple freezes and a glitch or two but in several playthroughs, it's not a deal breaker.

(shrug) I don't know - I've never been one to let stuff like that bother me too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

I've gone the RPG route recently myself , starting in December with Mass Effect 2. I then proceeded to Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 3. My problem is turn-based combat doesn't appeal to me (I prefer action RPGs), and I'm not really into dragons, knights, and trolls, so my selection is limited at the moment. I'd jump on Fallout New Vegas in a heartbeat if it wasn't so buggy and freeze-prone. I'm still considering Dragon Age II, as the combat feels better and I can put up with dragons and wizards if the story and the gameplay are good overall.

post #6 of 24 Old 07-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Agreed: Fallout New Vegas was patched to a decent state of stability. I only froze a handful of times while getting the platinum. It's no Fallout 3, but stability issues shouldn't keep you away.
post #7 of 24 Old 07-05-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Seconded on the FO:NV. If you can deal with the issues that Skyrim had then New Vegas as it is now is cake.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #8 of 24 Old 07-05-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
What's most remarkable is that we're seeing a lot more PC-centric Western RPGs make the transition to consoles. The Elder Scrolls games, the BioWare games, the Witcher series, etc. The only good console-centric RPGs we've seen IMO are Dark/Demon's Souls and the retro-styled indie RPGs.

It's a great time to be a console gamer, but I'm not convinced that RPGs are the reason. There are plenty of great RPGs available on consoles, but I don't think of them as "console RPGs."

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #9 of 24 Old 07-05-2012, 02:12 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

Agreed: Fallout New Vegas was patched to a decent state of stability. I only froze a handful of times while getting the platinum. It's no Fallout 3, but stability issues shouldn't keep you away.
I have the original version still in my PS3 and I rarely ever have an issue. Hope you don;t wait long to play, its the best RPG that's been released in the last 10 year.
post #10 of 24 Old 07-06-2012, 08:41 AM

Liked: 13
Re: FO NV, I stopped playing when everybody aggroed on me for no apparent reason even in areas where I was liked. Maybe that's been fixed? I don't want to start all over again..

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
post #11 of 24 Old 07-06-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60SXRD View Post

Re: FO NV, I stopped playing when everybody aggroed on me for no apparent reason even in areas where I was liked. Maybe that's been fixed? I don't want to start all over again..
Game was buggy as hell from start to finish, even after patching (on any and all platforms). Obsidian took Bethesda's already buggy engine and assets and turned it into an even buggier product, not to mention the game design itself needed some massive retooling. New Vegas had some absolutely brilliant writing and dialogue, but it was one of the most painful slogs of an RPG I've ever played.

As a game it was horrible. As a story it was fantastic.

post #12 of 24 Old 07-06-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60SXRD View Post

Re: FO NV, I stopped playing when everybody aggroed on me for no apparent reason even in areas where I was liked.

LOL!! Oh man - that would suck!

post #13 of 24 Old 07-06-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I don't know if these are considered RPGs or just strategy games, but I truly miss good turn-based strategy games that have decent graphics.

I see there are few that have come out recently, but most of them have that childish Anime look that immediately turns me off. The last true turn-based game that had decent graphics to me was Shadow Hearts: Covenant. I kinda wish I never traded that one in now because there haven't been any others since then that have really excited me.
post #14 of 24 Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Dragon's Dogma
Tales of Graces f
Tales of Xillia (2013)
Star Ocean The Last Hope
White Knight Chronicles 2
Eternal Sonata
Valkyria Chronicles
Resonance of Fate
Tales of Vesperia (360 only in the US)
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Infinite Undiscovery
Last Remnant
Xenoblade Chronicles
Last Story
The NISA and Atlas flood of quirky jrpgs

So many JRPGs this gen, and well spread out across all systems. It's hard to complain

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #15 of 24 Old 07-06-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I don't know if these are considered RPGs or just strategy games, but I truly miss good turn-based strategy games that have decent graphics.
I see there are few that have come out recently, but most of them have that childish Anime look that immediately turns me off. The last true turn-based game that had decent graphics to me was Shadow Hearts: Covenant. I kinda wish I never traded that one in now because there haven't been any others since then that have really excited me.
Valkyria Chronicles.

post #16 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Valkyria Chronicles.

After looking at the pics of this game, like I said, the Anime look turns me off.

I remember when this first came out thinking I really want another good JPRG, but the look of it just didn't appeal to me.

Personally, I would love for Final Fantasy with it's current graphics to go back to a true turn-based system.
post #17 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

By disqualifying a game because of it's art style, you are missing out on some of the most mature themed games out there.
(Valkyria Chronicles being one of them)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #18 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think you're both right.

You CAN certainly miss out on good gameplay and story if you don't play a game because of the art style, but I also feel that if I don't like an art style, it doesn't matter how good the game is. If I don't like looking at it, it won't be fun.

Different strokes 'n all.

post #19 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
I too am resistant to the anime style of most JPRGs, but I tried Valkyria Chronicles anyway and loved it. If you're looking for a turn-based strategy game, give it a try.
post #20 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Valkyria Chronicles, both Souls games, all Mass Effect games, and Fallout 3 are my favorites for this generation. I played New Vegas for 20 hours before deciding that my sanity was worth more than dealing with that glichy mess. I traded it in before any patches, though. Folklore was fun for a bit, but I quit before I got too far. Same with Borderlands and Dragon Age.
post #21 of 24 Old 07-08-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I just watched a video of Valkyria Chronicles' battle. Kinda confused on how that's turn based since there is action going on from the enemy as you are moving in to attack.

Anyway, aside from the Anime look, I just don't think I'd be into this game because I like the fantasy type storylines. This looks like a WWII game with just guns and tanks. Yes, it's a more mature theme, but I'd rather have monsters and magic in my turn-based games (i.e. Final Fantasy, Grandia, Shadow Hearts, etc.)

Oh, and just because I'm sure I know the response that is coming, I'll clear this up now. Yes, I know what I said about Anime and yes I just included Grandia in the list of the type of games I love. Kinda contradictory I know.
Thing is, I first played Grandia 2 on the Dreamcast and absolutely loved it. Back then though those graphics were to be expected, so I didn't think much of it. Then Grandia 3 came out for the PS2 and even though the look is childish, because I loved the other one, I had to try it out. Despite it's look, I still say to this day that Grandia 3 has the best fighting system ever for a turn-based game. I would love for someone, ANYONE to take that exact system and put it to a more realistic looking game. Then I would be in gaming heaven.
post #22 of 24 Old 07-08-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

In Valkyria Chronicles, Valkyria is in the title for a reason. It has a fantasy twist.

As for the combat, it is strategic turn based. You can't just run up to a machine gunner and shoot him in the face with a rifle. You have to think before moving.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #23 of 24 Old 07-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

I just watched a video of Valkyria Chronicles' battle. Kinda confused on how that's turn based since there is action going on from the enemy as you are moving in to attack.
It's just opportunity fire, like in any other turn-based tactical game. The only real difference is that instead of choosing a destination and watching your character walk there, you directly control the character and burn action points as you go.

Quote:
Anyway, aside from the Anime look, I just don't think I'd be into this game because I like the fantasy type storylines. This looks like a WWII game with just guns and tanks. Yes, it's a more mature theme, but I'd rather have monsters and magic in my turn-based games
There are some fantasy elements in the game, but not of the D&D type. It sounds like the scope of what you like is narrow enough that this wouldn't fit inside it.

- Jer
post #24 of 24 Old 07-08-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just loved Mass Effect 2, one of my all-time top 10 favorites.

My favorite character? The Normandy. It really became like Home, always there for me, it became a real refuge from the tough missions to be able to go there afterwards, battered and bruised.

And there was a ton of other great characters, too. Real memorable group. Great, great, game.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page