Does PS Move have any good Tennis or Golf games ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 07-08-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I would think that the Move controller would be perfect for Tennis and Golf. Are there any good Tennis or Golf games for the Move ? I'm pretty sure some of the Tiger Woods games work with move, but wasn't sure which ones, and whether they sucked with move or not. As for Tennis, I honestly have no idea which Tennis games might be good with the move, or whether any even support the move.

Also, because I'm being greedy, what are some decent move games in general ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-08-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 186
The PSN version of Hot Shots Golf has the Move patch built in. Otherwise, the disc can be patched for the upgrade. I've played it a bit and while you can't be as pixel precise as you can with the pad, it obviously feels more realistic to swing the Move, and it isn't difficult once you get used to it. You have control over the fade, draw, over and under spin as well as power.

If you haven't tried this game, HSG may look cartoony and has some arcade mechanics, but it is a TON of fun.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #3 of 25 Old 07-08-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The latest version of Tiger Woods (Tiger Woods 13) with Move controls is very good. People have commented that this year's version is more difficult from last year's. Some people have trouble with putting, but it works fine for me.

I also have the John Daly's ProStroke golf game. The graphics will not set the world on fire and it's more difficult than the Tiger Woods' games. But you can pick it up very cheaply.

(I would download the demos for both games and try them out before buying.)

As for tennis there's...

Virtua Tennis 4

Top Spin 4

Grand Slam Tennis 2

Grand Slam Tennis 2 easily beats the other games when using the Move controller. That said, the game is only pretty good to average, but I enjoy it a lot because I'm very forgiving when it comes to tennis games. (I used to play Gram Slam Tennis on the Wii and this game is essentially the Wii version with better graphics and playability.)
post #4 of 25 Old 07-08-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

The PSN version of Hot Shots Golf has the Move patch built in. Otherwise, the disc can be patched for the upgrade. I've played it a bit and while you can't be as pixel precise as you can with the pad, it obviously feels more realistic to swing the Move, and it isn't difficult once you get used to it. You have control over the fade, draw, over and under spin as well as power.
If you haven't tried this game, HSG may look cartoony and has some arcade mechanics, but it is a TON of fun.

I have hotshots on the Vita, and absolutely adore that game, but at the same time, I wonder if it would be just way too simplistic for Move. I wouldn't mind trying it though. Which disk version of Hot Shots on PS3 is the one to get ? Or did they only make one HSG on PS3 ? Also, do you have to "pay" to get the Move update, or is it just a free update to the game that enables it ?
post #5 of 25 Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Try Zen Studios Planet Minigolf on PSN.

Move mode is really hard, but it's a pretty good under-appreciated putting game.
post #6 of 25 Old 07-08-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I have hotshots on the Vita, and absolutely adore that game, but at the same time, I wonder if it would be just way too simplistic for Move. I wouldn't mind trying it though. Which disk version of Hot Shots on PS3 is the one to get ? Or did they only make one HSG on PS3 ? Also, do you have to "pay" to get the Move update, or is it just a free update to the game that enables it ?
It's a free patch. I think all versions work the same.

post #7 of 25 Old 07-09-2012, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Sports Champions 2 is coming out this fall and includes both tennis and golf. Since table tennis was awesome in the first game, I have high hopes for tennis in the sequel.
post #8 of 25 Old 07-09-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

Sports Champions 2 is coming out this fall and includes both tennis and golf. Since table tennis was awesome in the first game, I have high hopes for tennis in the sequel.

The ultimate Tennis game would combine both Kinect and a Move like wand. Hopefully either Sony or Microsoft will think of combining the two for next gen. The thing is, with the Kinect, it can "see" a certain area of your living room. It see's an area about 8 feet wide and about 4 or 5 feet deep (if you can get far enough away from the actual camera, I know it does require a big room) . So, that's basically a virtual area of the Tennis court. All they would have to do, is adjust the area on the fly as you move around, to know what part of the Tennis court you're on. For example, if you use an exaggerated move forward, then it will assume that you are going to the net, and that 8' x 5' area will be an 8' x 5' area close to the net. If you use an exaggerated move backwards, then it will move the space automatically and assume you are in a 8' x 5' area towards the back end of the court. If you had a large enough room, you could actually come very close to simulating a REAL, live, tennis match. They could use a first person perspective, and you would also need a Move like controller for greater accuracy. It could be the closest we've ever come to simulating an outdoor sport in the comfort of our VERY large living room.

I'm hoping Sony is going to be the company to deliver this with the PS4. It's doubtful that Microsoft would be smart enough to know that the "You are the Controller" marketing isn't so amazing that they need to deliberately hinder Kinect's value by not also having a hand-held wand like device with force feedback. So, it's going to be up to Sony to make it happen. Hopefully they will have a motion detecting device even far superior to the original Kinect as well as maybe even better Move controllers.
post #9 of 25 Old 07-09-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sports Champions' table tennis has fantastic game mechanics already. You can lunge forward, backward, to the sides, twist your wrist for back spin, top spin, side spin etc., and input lag is not an issue. The only main complaint from the legion of fans impressed with it is that it doesn't offer online play (local vs. mode works well though).

Unfortunately SC2 still won't have an online mode. That's what I hope to see upgraded in a possible PS4 version of Ping-Pong/Tennis next gen. With the Move controller and PSEye, the main game play already works VERY well.

post #10 of 25 Old 07-10-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
It's amazing how Sports Champion nailed the Move controller dynamics so well, and even more amazing how not a single game since then has managed to harness it.

Everything since SC has pretty much been a dud. I'm really regretting investing in Move. Pretty horrible gaming decision on my part.

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #11 of 25 Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin View Post

It's amazing how Sports Champion nailed the Move controller dynamics so well, and even more amazing how not a single game since then has managed to harness it.
Everything since SC has pretty much been a dud. I'm really regretting investing in Move. Pretty horrible gaming decision on my part.

Other than Sport Champions, the most fun I've had with the Move Controller was playing Playstation Move Heroes. For under $20, I highly recommend it. Was much better than I expected based on the initial reaction when it came out.

At this point, I'm completely over trying to play third-person action games like inFamous or platformers like LittleBigPlanet with the Move. From this point on, I only want games that are specifically designed to be played with the Move and in the sports/recreation genre. I'm still waiting for a really good exercise game that takes full advantage of the Move and where all movements register properly. I'm hopeful for Adidas miCoach that comes out July 24 (though I'll wait a month to buy it when it will be <$20 like all other fitness games to come out for the PS3).
post #12 of 25 Old 07-10-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Sports Champions' table tennis has fantastic game mechanics already. You can lunge forward, backward, to the sides, twist your wrist for back spin, top spin, side spin etc., and input lag is not an issue. The only main complaint from the legion of fans impressed with it is that it doesn't offer online play (local vs. mode works well though).
Unfortunately SC2 still won't have an online mode. That's what I hope to see upgraded in a possible PS4 version of Ping-Pong/Tennis next gen. With the Move controller and PSEye, the main game play already works VERY well.

Yeah, the ping pong is pretty damn good, but alas.... it's just ping pong. I'd much rather have a real tennis game than ping pong. As for the Eye / Move combo being enough, I don't think so. The eye is ok, but it doesn't see a room like the Kinect can see a room. Now, don't get it twisted, I'm not saying that the Kinect is a great piece of technology, because it's definitely weak sauce, but Kinect is better at detecting a virtual playing space than the eye camera is. Hopefully, Sony will have something even better than the eye or Kinect, to go with PS4. I'm hoping MS has a Kinect 2, and includes some type of wand thing, with at the very least some rumble.
post #13 of 25 Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You misunderstand the role of the PSEye in the setup. For the PS2 (and early PS3) they tried using the camera alone and the results were less than stellar, to say the least. However, the camera can easily pick up where the Move is and translate it into 1:1 movement.

Even if you are 15+ feet away dashing left and right playing this game, as long as the Move is not off camera it will translate into accurate movement in the game. This includes subtle motions, like top spin and back spin mentioned above, as well as soft taps, hard spikes, lobs and backhand attacks. The camera alone isn't doing it, but the light from the Move to the camera is what makes it work so well. You seem to be describing a non-problem.

post #14 of 25 Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

Other than Sport Champions, the most fun I've had with the Move Controller was playing Playstation Move Heroes. For under $20, I highly recommend it. Was much better than I expected based on the initial reaction when it came out.
At this point, I'm completely over trying to play third-person action games like inFamous or platformers like LittleBigPlanet with the Move. From this point on, I only want games that are specifically designed to be played with the Move and in the sports/recreation genre. I'm still waiting for a really good exercise game that takes full advantage of the Move and where all movements register properly. I'm hopeful for Adidas miCoach that comes out July 24 (though I'll wait a month to buy it when it will be <$20 like all other fitness games to come out for the PS3).

Sorcery is the first 3rd person action game that I think uses the Move effectively. But,other than that, I'm with you. I have no interest in using the Move with InFamous2.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #15 of 25 Old 07-11-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

Sorcery is the first 3rd person action game that I think uses the Move effectively. But,other than that, I'm with you. I have no interest in using the Move with InFamous2.

Is Sorcery on rails ? Can you use the navigation controller to move around, and then freely use the move? Deadmund's Quest would have been good if it wasn't on rails.
post #16 of 25 Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorcery uses the NavCon to freely move your character in any direction while you aim and cast your magic spells with the Move.

post #17 of 25 Old 07-13-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I'm going to do my evil play through in infamous 2 with the Move, apparently they perfected TPS move controls. I liked SOCOM 4 with the Move as well.

Now playing: Destiny Beta, Wolfenstein
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #18 of 25 Old 07-13-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

I'm going to do my evil play through in infamous 2 with the Move, apparently they perfected TPS move controls. I liked SOCOM 4 with the Move as well.

There's an idea. When I finish my good playthrough, maybe that's when I'll give it a shot with the Move. I'm not even bothering for the first run through.

I will be surprised if they did a better job than Sorcery, though.

post #19 of 25 Old 07-13-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

For me, the Move made the following games a much better experience than I would had I used the normal game pad:

Sports Champions
SOCOM 4 (especially the awesome co-op mode)
Resistance 3 (one of the best FPS solo campaigns this gen)
Rail shooters (i.e. House of the Dead 3 & 4 and the Time Crisis collection)
Heavy Rain
Tumble
Hot Shots Golf (though the pad offers more precision naturally)
LittleBgPlanet 2 (for co-op alongside a pad player or two)

For other titles not listed, I either haven't yet played some of the other great Move-controlled games (like inFamous 2/Festival of Blood and Sorcery, but I will), or its a title that is only mildly enhanced by the motion controls IMHO. Also, I left off games that aren't' interesting to me, like the dancing games my daughter loves to play. I do want to get Child of Eden if it ever comes to the store.

post #20 of 25 Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I forgot all about Tumble. I need to check that out again now that I've got a 3D tv.

post #21 of 25 Old 07-13-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
I was just thinking the same thing. In fact I think I'm going to go try it now.
post #22 of 25 Old 04-30-2013, 04:14 PM

Liked: 16
How does sports champions 2 tennis compare to the other 3 tennis games? I played through the bronze cup so far but couldn't get 3 stars. I think I missed the training about holding trigger to rush the net (read about it after needing help)

SC2 golf has been cool, will play more when time and energy allow. Who wants to stand up to play video games, really? I picked up Hot Shots from PSN last month when the bundle and Plus discount made it super cheap. I put many many hours in on the PS Vita version last fall, looking forward to Move on this too.
post #23 of 25 Old 05-01-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMad View Post

How does sports champions 2 tennis compare to the other 3 tennis games? I played through the bronze cup so far but couldn't get 3 stars. I think I missed the training about holding trigger to rush the net (read about it after needing help)

SC2 golf has been cool, will play more when time and energy allow. Who wants to stand up to play video games, really? I picked up Hot Shots from PSN last month when the bundle and Plus discount made it super cheap. I put many many hours in on the PS Vita version last fall, looking forward to Move on this too.

I really enjoyed SC2 tennis so I picked up Grand Slam Tennis 2 from the Black Friday bargain bin a few months ago. SC2 tennis in comparison is much more natural, precise, and immersive, putting the camera at player level (over the shoulder) rather than the broadcast TV view GST2 uses. One advantage GST2 has, however, is you can control your player's movement on court with a second Nav/DS controller, and of course it offers very deep customization and multiple gameplay modes (exhibition, career, all-time classic matches, training, etc.) I believe GST2 was the first pro tennis game to enable use of the Move in all game modes, including online.

With SC2, however, power, speed, accuracy, and wrist movement (for top spin) come into play in ways GST2 just doesn't really offer. For example, in SC2 if I flail at or mis-hit a ball, it usually goes out, even on lower difficulties. In GST2, flicking the Move controller is almost as effective as carefully trying to place my shot. In fact, I find ball control/placement much easier with the DS in GST2 than I do with the Move. But perhaps the biggest problem with GST2 is a well-known issue with difficulty spikes in career mode and opponent AI. Serve-and-volley opponents will come to the net 95%+ of the time, and it's almost impossible to lob over them, usually resulting in them smashing the ball to the opposite side. I breezed through year 1 of career mode, having never played any video game tennis games before (other than SC2). But then in an early round of my first tournament of year 2, I was matched up against a no-name qualifier serve-and-volley player whom I just can't beat ... so little chance I'll fare any better against the likes of Sampras or Becker should I get that far in my next tournament.

Needless to say, GST2 is now collecting dust, but your post has renewed my interest in seeing how much farther I can go in SC2, having platinumed it last January. (I haven't really touched the Champions round.)
post #24 of 25 Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's interesting that this thread was revived, because reading through it again, I see my post where I was hoping that either Sony or Microsoft would provide a Kinect like camera, in combination with a Move like wand for next-gen. This was obviously way before we saw the PS4 unveiling, where it appears that the Move controllers will be alive and well with the PS4. This gives me hope that we will actually get a Tennis game that could really be a real type simulation where you're actually playing legitimate tennis in your living room. Hopefully the PS4 eye camera thing is advanced enough to make it happen..
post #25 of 25 Old 05-02-2013, 09:08 PM

Liked: 16
Thanks for the info Zookster, looking forward to some good SC2 Tennis.

I've been playing all my SC2 sessions with 3D glasses on... Pretty cool. I kicked the depth to max and golf and skiing look great. I do wonder though if the twitch timing games have some 3d induced lag in them.

Did more golf tonight. Wishing for a good golf club like extension for the Move - It's strange to "air guitar" the left hand above the imaginary golf club. Tell me there's a better way...

Edit: SKLZ SIMSTIX golf club for PS3 Move - looks to be what I'm asking for. Reviews indicate it works great for both Tiger Woods and Sports Champions 2.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page