Question about hard drive speeds - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I don't know if this answer just came from an uninformed person or if they are speaking the truth, but I figured I'd ask here anyway.

I have to go buy a brand new PS3 soon (fatty just died for the 2nd time frown.gif) and it's either buy the 160GB slim and then put in my current 500GB hard drive, or just get the 320GB slim and leave it as is. I know to most here it's a no brainer to go with the former, but here is my question.

The 500GB hard drive I have is 7200RPM and when looking for answers I came across someone who said if replacing a hard drive you should stick with 5400RPM because the 7200s cause more heat. Is this in any way, shape, or form true?

Not sure if heat or old age just killed my original fatty, but if it has something to do with extra heat, I'm not sure I want to risk putting in this 500GB 7200RPM drive again.

Also, since I can't seem to find this info, I'll ask you guys. Do you know what brand, RPMs, and memory cache size the hard drives are in the current slims (3000 models)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-18-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I wouldn't worry about it anymore. There are a few tests that show you can get some speed increase with faster drives, enough of them that I no longer believe the common quote here, "it won't be any faster if you get a faster drive". On one of my slims, I wish my drive was faster. It's more of a "seat of the pants" thing, but I am pretty sure it's slower with the 320gb drive I put in it than it was with the original drive. The slims run a lot cooler too, so that might be something to consider.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-18-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I have several PS3 with different type of hard drives. The only time I found 7200 RPM hard drive is faster is when you are downloading games in the background and installing another game at the same time. Unless you do that very often, there isn't any point in getting 7200 RPM drive for your PS3 because it runs much hotter.
post #4 of 17 Old 07-18-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone show me a modern chart (2011 or 2012) that shows a significant heat difference between 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM 2.5" drives. I haven't seen anything like that. I have seen power consumption charts, and the power consumption varies more with model than with RPM.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-mobile-hdd-charts/-22-Power-Requirement-at-Maximum-Write-Throughput,3005.html

Note that there is a 5400 RPM drive that consumes more power than all but one of the 7200 RPM drives.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-18-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What about for games that install a large portion of the game on the hard drive? Wouldn't it stand to reason that these games would load faster with a 7200 vs a 5400? Gran Turismo 5 comes to mind here.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-18-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

What about for games that install a large portion of the game on the hard drive? Wouldn't it stand to reason that these games would load faster with a 7200 vs a 5400? Gran Turismo 5 comes to mind here.

During install, yes 7200 RPM can be faster. But loading during gameplay? That depends how the game is optimized to load. If the game loads in smaller segment, then 7200 RPM isn't going to buy you much improvement. If you are the type of person who must get every possible bit loading quicker, then go ahead with 7200 rpm hard drive. Personally, since I have one of my PS3 running at 7200 RPM hard drive, my general recommendation is no because you are not getting enough speed improvement all the time.

The nice part about PS3 is Sony doesn't prevent you from using 7200 RPM hard drive if you care that much of getting every little improvement here and there. Only catch is you need to ensure your PS3 has more cooling because of the 7200 RPM hard drive. But if your PS3 with 7200 RPM hard drive does fail within the warranty, you can always sent your PS3 with the original 5400 RPM hard drive (recommended anyway) back to Sony.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-18-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Someone show me a modern chart (2011 or 2012) that shows a significant heat difference between 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM 2.5" drives. I haven't seen anything like that. I have seen power consumption charts, and the power consumption varies more with model than with RPM.
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-mobile-hdd-charts/-22-Power-Requirement-at-Maximum-Write-Throughput,3005.html
Note that there is a 5400 RPM drive that consumes more power than all but one of the 7200 RPM drives.

While that is true, depending on the model of PS3, the hard drive is positioned at differently. I would say if you have slim PS3, the hard drive is on the right side which is away from hot electronics like power supply and the CPUs. But on the plat PS3, the hard drive is always on the left side and if you have the PS2 BC PS3, the machine is packed with hot electronics and the hard drive does run hot.

So, pick the hard drive based on the PS3 model type. Again, unless you must gain every possible second faster like installing and downloading at the same time, you aren't getting that much back in overall performance improvement with 7200 rpm hard drive.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-18-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I did mention that since he has a slim... wink.gif
post #9 of 17 Old 07-18-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

While that is true, depending on the model of PS3, the hard drive is positioned at differently. I would say if you have slim PS3, the hard drive is on the right side which is away from hot electronics like power supply and the CPUs. But on the plat PS3, the hard drive is always on the left side and if you have the PS2 BC PS3, the machine is packed with hot electronics and the hard drive does run hot.
So, pick the hard drive based on the PS3 model type. Again, unless you must gain every possible second faster like installing and downloading at the same time, you aren't getting that much back in overall performance improvement with 7200 rpm hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Well, I did mention that since he has a slim... wink.gif

Yes, I just bought the newest slim (3001A).

I'm looking all over for a Seagate 5400RPM that has a minimum of 500GB space and no one seems to have any. Sure, I could probably order one, but I was kinda hoping to be up and running again by Friday.

As for needing every single second, I don't. I've come to expect long load times on certain games. It's just the way it is. I was just curious if it's a big difference in speed vs the extra heat output.

Also, while I've got you guys here, and let me say I appreciate all the help and info you are giving so far, I have one more question. What about the memory cache? in the 5400s it's 8MB, but in the 7200s it's 16MB. Does that play a big factor in this or is that negligible as well?
post #10 of 17 Old 07-18-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

On my PS3s, I just put the cheapest thing I can find and don't worry about it. But like I said, on my secondary PS3, I can tell the drive is slower. What seems to be extremely slow is when it's prepping to download large games in the background. Takes forever.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-18-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 60gb PS3 died last month and it had a 7200 RPM HDD in it. Can't say I really noticed a difference in performance.

I am not convinced that heat is an issue with the older PS3s. I'm certain that LA Noire hastened the failure of the solder points on the PS3's video card. No game that I have played prior or after has ever made my PS3's fan go as crazy as it did with that game.

In any case, I paid $150 off of eBay to have a guy reball my video card and it is working again. However, I swapped the PS3 out with a slim that I got a year ago (with plans to install it in my bonus room, but ended up just sitting in a box for a year) and am now using that as my main PS3.

It has the standard HDD that comes with the PS3, and am not really noticing a huge performance decrease since I've switched to the new PS3.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The heat difference is negligible. If Sony didn't want 7200RPM drives in the PS3 they would say don't do it. Use the fastest drive you can afford with the most cache. I use a 500MB hybrid with 64MB.

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #13 of 17 Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ended up going with this model.
I originally chose the 500GB, but after doing some research, the 640GB for some reason consumes less power and is slightly faster.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-19-2012, 06:00 PM

Liked: 93
Can you still cancel your Amazon order? Just use the 500GB 7200rpm drive you already have. You are talking about a 2W power consumption difference in a system that uses 100W normally. Basic grade school electrical theory tells us that power consumption equals heat. In this specific case you are talking about such a small difference that heat related issues are of absolutely no concern. Certainly not of enough concern to justify $60 spent and a slower drive experience. Even if you live in a hot climate where you now have to air condition away that 2W of additional waste heat, it will take far longer than a PS3's possible useful life to make up that $60 spend in saved air conditioning energy costs.

2W of waste heat will make zero difference in your PS3's lifespan. Be less silly, spend that cash on games.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-19-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Can you still cancel your Amazon order? Just use the 500GB 7200rpm drive you already have. You are talking about a 2W power consumption difference in a system that uses 100W normally. Basic grade school electrical theory tells us that power consumption equals heat. In this specific case you are talking about such a small difference that heat related issues are of absolutely no concern. Certainly not of enough concern to justify $60 spent and a slower drive experience. Even if you live in a hot climate where you now have to air condition away that 2W of additional waste heat, it will take far longer than a PS3's possible useful life to make up that $60 spend in saved air conditioning energy costs.
2W of waste heat will make zero difference in your PS3's lifespan. Be less silly, spend that cash on games.

Based on some of the responses though, couldn't it be said that the difference in speed is negligible as well? Regardless of the power difference, I'd rather be safe than sorry if the speed really doesn't play much of a factor.

Plus, to be honest, I haven't liked how my 500GB 72000RPM drive was running. Every so often the drive light would come on and stay lit for a few seconds and then there would be a clicking noise. I kept waiting for the drive to fail everytime that happened.

All in all, I'm satified with the choice I made and I truly appreciate all the info and advice (from both sides) on this matter. Now, to just get this drive in so I can start the long and arduous task or redownloading all the DLC of the games I still own after all these years. The Rock Band DLC will be the biggest pain that I do not look forward to.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I don't know if this answer just came from an uninformed person or if they are speaking the truth, but I figured I'd ask here anyway.
I have to go buy a brand new PS3 soon (fatty just died for the 2nd time frown.gif) and it's either buy the 160GB slim and then put in my current 500GB hard drive, or just get the 320GB slim and leave it as is. I know to most here it's a no brainer to go with the former, but here is my question.
The 500GB hard drive I have is 7200RPM and when looking for answers I came across someone who said if replacing a hard drive you should stick with 5400RPM because the 7200s cause more heat. Is this in any way, shape, or form true?
Not sure if heat or old age just killed my original fatty, but if it has something to do with extra heat, I'm not sure I want to risk putting in this 500GB 7200RPM drive again.
Also, since I can't seem to find this info, I'll ask you guys. Do you know what brand, RPMs, and memory cache size the hard drives are in the current slims (3000 models)?

Just keep with the original spec. You cannot do anything with the PS3 anyways except play video games and mayby stream Netflix. Even if you play on-line games, you are limited by your internet connecion or Sony's servers.

BTW, the fat PS3 uses a lot of electricity and produces a tonn of heat. Make sure your PS3 hase plenty of space for the heat to escape. Do not put it inside a cabinert or block the vents on the right side of the machine. I accidentally shut the door to my cabinet one time and 30 minutes later I heard this loud sound coming from the cabinet. When I opened up the door I could feel the heat coming out. My PS3 was so hot I could litteraly cook an egg.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #17 of 17 Old 07-24-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 View Post

Just keep with the original spec. You cannot do anything with the PS3 anyways except play video games and mayby stream Netflix.

Or watch a BluRay or DVD, or stream Amazon, or stream audio or video from my server...

But then again, what else would you buy a game console for other than to play video games? smile.gif
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page