Let's Make an Awesome Pirate RPG (or - what RPG stuff do you really like?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 105
So I picked up Risen 2, and it's not so good. Horrible animations, dog-crap-like combat mechanics, etc... BUT there's a nugget of goodness in it that I really like. it definitely has a very strong pirate flavor. I actually like the game, and have enjoyed MOST of the time I've put into it. I'm pretty sure I'll finish it.

But if I could make Risen 3, what would I do to make it a GREAT RPG? It already has Pirates, that's half the battle. Here's what I'd add:

- The "junk pile" mechanic from Kingdoms of Amalur. I personally think that's one of the great RPG innovations of all time. Love it.
- The vastness of Skyrim. Just SO much to do and see.
- Piratey Swashbuckling Goodness! Rope-swinging and climbing rigging with a dagger in your teeth
- The drama and strong characters of Mass Effect 2 (and probably 3, but I haven't played 3 yet)
- Ship-based encounters! Not navigation stuff (boring!), but certainly when the two ships crash together, have ship-to-ship swordplay
- The team mechanics of Dragon's Dogma - I *really* like the idea of pawns. Cool stuff.
- Even though it's a bit action-based, I really dig the combat of Kingdoms. Especially the progression and skills.

So how bout you guys? What would you add?

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"