Sony at Gamescom 2012 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Sony had a great conference at Gamescom. Besides revealing that the PS3 now has it's own YouTube app for better streaming,I've summarized the other announcements below (links are to the videos):

~~~~

The show has started. After a cool montage of games, the Vita stuff comes up first. LittleBigPlanet on the handheld is looking as awesome as always.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (Vita & PS3) have some more characters added to the roster: Ratchet. Spike (from Ape Escape), Dante and Sackboy. The new trailer for the game is very well done.

Vita "Cross Buy" program announced. Buy the PS3 version of targeted games and get the Vita version for free! First games in this promotion include:
- PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
- Ratchet and Clank: Q-Force

More Vita games being shown... Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation looks great. Vita Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified is mentioned, but no footage was revealed.

PSOne support for the handheld is coming August 28th.

Media Molecule is up. It's announced that their LittleBigPlanet franchise has sold 8+ million units. PS3's LBP2 shown with Vita as a controller support.

Wow, Media Molecule has a beautiful new franchise named Tearaway, exclusively for the Vita. It's a 3D adventure platformer game in a world made of paper with very charming graphics.

Killzone Mercenary, exclusively for the Vita, is now up with footage. The tech engine for the handheld title is very impressive, and the game play looks fun.

PS Mobile games for smart phones will also work on the Vita.

PS+ announced for Vita.

Euro PS+ members get Red Dead Redemption (Sept.) and 1 GB of Cloud Storage (thanks Zookster!).

Wonderbook demo is shown. Walking with Dinosaurs is featured as one of the stories. Looks better than the E3 demo. Disney is on board to support the app with themed book releases.

FIFA 2013 is coming to the Vita. The PS3 version gets Move support.

Until Dawn looks like an interesting take on the '80s slasher horr flick genre. Move controller exclusive.

Rain from Japan Studios announced. A fantastic demo with moody Claire de Lune music of this game is on display. A boy wanders the streets, and he can only be seen in the rain.

Another new franchise? Puppeteer is a 2D platformer that has a cool, quirky visual style.

New trailer for The Last of Us. Brilliant as always.

Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified for the Vita returns. this time with game play footage. A 4v4 mode over wi-fi is confirmed.

God of War: Ascension has a multiplayer beta coming up. Cool new footage of the action was shown.

LittleBigPlanet Karting
is coming along nicely in the new trailer.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Tear Away looked awesome.

EU Plus members are getting Red Dead Redemption (Sept.) and 1 GB of Cloud Storage. Hope we get that too! For the past couple of months, EU Plus offerings (with free games like Dead Space 2 and Darksiders) seem better that ours, depending on your gaming preferences of course.
post #3 of 27 Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Was hoping to see syphon filter ps3. But I've been waiting since ps3's launch...
post #4 of 27 Old 08-14-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Damn I see why they held off showing COD on the Vita. It looked like crap. It looked like I was watch the IOS game Modern Combat.

The 5.0 is here
post #5 of 27 Old 08-14-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My secret wish was for a new Colony Wars reveal (not to mention a cheaper PS3 Slimmer), but the new franchise announcements all have solid potential.

All in all, a very good conference.

post #6 of 27 Old 08-14-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Gamescom trailer for The Last of Us:

post #7 of 27 Old 08-14-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Damn I see why they held off showing COD on the Vita. It looked like crap. It looked like I was watch the IOS game Modern Combat.

Sadly, it's being developed by Nihilistic Software (Resistance: Burning Skies). That's 2 IPs ruined on the Vita by the same subpar developer. I don't know what Sony and Activision were thinking. Killzone Mercenary looks great though and looks to be my first FPS purchase for Vita.
post #8 of 27 Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Wow that COD looks bad. It honestly looks like Nihilistic used COD Wii assets and the engine they used for Resistance. It looks like something closer to a last-gen FPS game, not just in graphics but also gameplay (2 enemies on screen, linear boxed-in levels, etc.).

If they were going to do this on the cheap they should've just hired Gameloft, their Modern Combat games honestly look better than this.

I don't even know why Activision/Sony are bothering. In the end it does more harm than good. Yea, it's "COD on Vita" but people aren't dumb.
post #9 of 27 Old 08-14-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I am even more shocked a bundle was announced.

The 5.0 is here
post #10 of 27 Old 08-14-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

Sadly, it's being developed by Nihilistic Software (Resistance: Burning Skies). That's 2 IPs ruined on the Vita by the same subpar developer. I don't know what Sony and Activision were thinking. Killzone Mercenary looks great though and looks to be my first FPS purchase for Vita.
Unfortunately, Sony's approach to a lot of their exclusive Vita titles is similar to what it was on PSP. Putting a B-team on a pre-existing console IP.

The saving grace of Vita will be its cross-platform connectivity and shared content (PS Classics, PSN content, multi-console versions, etc). Titles like this CoD off-shoot are just marketing tactics, not genuine attempts to make quality games.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #11 of 27 Old 08-14-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

My secret wish was for a new Colony Wars reveal (not to mention a cheaper PS3 Slimmer), but the new franchise announcements all have solid potential.
All in all, a very good conference.

You nerd!....who's talking about Colony Wars in this day and age?

Just messing witcha...I would have been excited to see that, too!

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #12 of 27 Old 08-14-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'll take any arcade space shooter'. It's too bad they fell out of favor.

~~~

The first post is updated with links to videos of all the games shown at the conference.

post #13 of 27 Old 08-15-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 692
The biggie is Sony using the Vita as a controller for the PS3. Leg up on WiiU and Surface if done right and can parlay into PS4 with ease.
post #14 of 27 Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

The biggie is Sony using the Vita as a controller for the PS3. Leg up on WiiU and Surface if done right and can parlay into PS4 with ease.

Really? You think thats the biggie? Pardon me if I am wrong...but I played a resistance PSP game a few years ago on my ps3 with my psp as the controller. There is NO replacement for the DS3.

To me the biggie...something that should have been here all along...is you get BOTH the PS3 and Vita versions of the game when you buy the PS3 version. If they want true cross connectivity this has to happen for more and more games. No matter how much I LOVE a game...theres no way possible I would buy two versions of the same game.

Depending on the functionality of this...it might be enough to get me to buy a Vita for PSASBR.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #15 of 27 Old 08-15-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

PSV-->PS3 as a controller will be less problematic than those early PSP-->PS3 experiments. The PSV was developed with this option in mind, so the communication tech has improved.

I agree that "Cross-Buy" is a pretty big deal. It makes the Vita more appealing and expands the user base that plays those games. And on a related note, what I want to see is Cross-Play (PS3 vs. Vita) in more multiplayer games that they both share, both online and offline. That would be cool.

post #16 of 27 Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Cross play is pretty major indeed...if they can incorporate that in a big way in future dual Ps3/Vita releases, that could move quite a few Vitas.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #17 of 27 Old 08-16-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
I think to use the Vita as a controller, you are almost certainly going to need something like the Nyko Power Grip to make it more comfortable and to increase battery life. I see the Power Grip has finally become available, tempted to get one on the way.
post #18 of 27 Old 08-17-2012, 07:53 AM

Anything to stop me buying the crossplay games, keeping the ps3 version and trading in the vita version at gamestop?
I'm guessing it's download only the Vita version.
post #19 of 27 Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I dont really understand what you're asking above...you thought if you bought the ps3 version they were going to just give you a vita retail copy for no cost?smile.gif

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #20 of 27 Old 08-17-2012, 08:51 AM

Actually I was hoping to buy the cheaper vita version and they would give me the expensive ps3 version for free. cool.gif
post #21 of 27 Old 08-17-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

I dont really understand what you're asking above...you thought if you bought the ps3 version they were going to just give you a vita retail copy for no cost?smile.gif
Sony hasn't yet detailed exactly what its "cross buy" initiative will look like. It could be exactly that (both retail physical copies). Or it could be digital only. Or it could be a pack-in Vita download code for retail PS3 copies. Or it could be exclusive to PS+ subscribers. AFAIK Sony hasn't yet said.

post #22 of 27 Old 08-17-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The presentation said that to get a PS Vita copy you only need to buy the PS3 version. As far as the three games announced so far, Cross Buy is definitely not a PS+ perk.

post #23 of 27 Old 08-17-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The presentation said that to get a PS Vita copy you only need to buy the PS3 version. As far as the three games announced so far, Cross Buy is definitely not a PS+ perk.
Seems to be some questions, though. They didn't talk about the formats (digital or physical or some combination of the two). They didn't talk about pricing (whether "cross buy" games would be more expensive). And when this first appeared in a Sony survey back in early 2012, Sony was suggesting that this might be a PS+ perk only. Nothing about the choice of games suggests one way or the other.

The fact that Sony hasn't said much yet detail-wise suggests to me that they're still finalizing all of these decisions at the corporate level. Hopefully, it really is as simple as "buy the PS3 game and get the Vita version free." It seems simple enough. But Sony's had many corporate-level conflicts in the last few years over its messaging, pricing, and feature rollouts--especially with the Vita. Based on third-party responses to the "cross buy" announcement, other publishers are also skeptical.

EDIT: I'm confident that some key folks high up the chain want everything to go smoothly. But clearly folks even higher up the chain keep putting their foot down. Leadership at Sony is obviously in turmoil, and has been for a while. It's led to all kinds of confusion and delays at the consumer level. Vita seems to be caught in the crossfire. For example, Sony just came out and said no price drop this year (as I suspected).

post #24 of 27 Old 08-18-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You got all that "turmoil" speculation from a simple Cross-Buy announcement. Absolutely amazing.

Sony also announced that cloud storage is being bumped to 1 GB. I suppose we can speculate that means they are plotting to burn down a rival studio. It's all so obvious. rolleyes.gif

post #25 of 27 Old 08-18-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
My guess: include the copy on the PS3 bluray. Then those who own a Vita get the option to install it to the memory card. If it requires PS+, you gotta sign in. Simple as that. But I'm just guessing.

bg
post #26 of 27 Old 08-18-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You got all that "turmoil" speculation from a simple Cross-Buy announcement. Absolutely amazing.
Sony also announced that cloud storage is being bumped to 1 GB. I suppose we can speculate that means they are plotting to burn down a rival studio. It's all so obvious. rolleyes.gif
Nothing to do with any single thing. It's cumulative over the past 5-6 years. This latest is just one small example among many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab 
My guess: include the copy on the PS3 bluray. Then those who own a Vita get the option to install it to the memory card. If it requires PS+, you gotta sign in. Simple as that. But I'm just guessing.
Perhaps. Or just include a download code. Simple and cost effective. They could also roll it into any PSN purchase options.

For example, I just bought Sound Shapes for PS3. But because it's a double-platform title, I also get the Vita version at no extra cost (and vice versa). Having that unused version of a game sitting on my harddrive might start to add up after I buy a handful more titles. At a certain point, I might have 5-10 Vita titles sitting unplayed on my PS3. That seems like a pretty good motivating tactic. But that all depends on how well Sony integrates the program going forward.

post #27 of 27 Old 08-19-2012, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
From what I read on the Playstation blog when the promotion was just announced, you can buy either the digital or retail copies of the PS3 version and get the digital version of the PS Vita game for free. It's true that a deal like this can make the memory cards seam slightly less of a rip off although it would still be nice to decrease the prices of those anyway. That offer will still help sell more cards than usual even if they do keep the price. I'm surprised that they didn't mention anything about being a Plus member to get the offer so it probably doesn't matter if your Plus or not. This kind of promotion as well as the free PS3 games may make it seam like Sony is being very generous which is true but theirs no denying that it increases the chances of people wanting to buy digital copies of games especially when they see how convenient it is to play different ones without changing the discs or cards. Also, as some people figured, this will increase the chances of people buying the games new since it'll be harder to get the free PS Vita versions if you buy used. Never mind the fact that this will increase the chances of people owning both systems to get the PS3 version since some of them will only want to buy 1 copy.

Not a bad deal at all and hopefully this will cause even more third party developers to do more promotional deals for people who wants both versions.
It reminds me of the $10 deal I got from GameStop for Mortal Kombat. Even though I wanted it badly for the PS Vita, it's not easy paying $40 for something I already had on the PS3 but for $10, I couldn't resist.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page