post #32 of 43 Old 09-07-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

I had no trouble getting the new YouTube app to work and stream videos smoothly last night, but I found the interface and search function a bit clunky (in the search, you select letters of the alphabet like you would when entering your initials in an old arcade game--very tedious to spell multi-word titles that way!). I also ran into some videos from a major game company (Bioware) that would not play in the app, giving an error message that the format of the video was not supported by the device I was using. Huh?
I assume that I'll be able to log into my regular YouTube account with this app, and will have a better experience accessing content than I did when just blindly browsing and searching.

I agree the only thing they should let use use the IN XMB type interface, not that clunky letters at YOUTUBE.
post #33 of 43 Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 PM

guys youtube sucks cas u guys r using american DNS , u should get urself A canadian DNS . & it works smoothly . trust me & u can get crackle it only works with ur canadian DNS also . i use american DNS cas their netflix have different movies but youtube is ******
post #34 of 43 Old 12-01-2012, 12:31 PM

hey there,
Just bumping the thread with what I did to get my PS3 working with the new You Tube app.

My PS3 was always crashing when I would navigate in the new app. When trying to quit it would reboot. I'm on Rogers internet, so I thought I'd try Open DNS's servers (props to killuminati187 for giving me the idea!). Now it's smooth and quick! No stuttering, Device integration is working great,

So, the problem seems to be related to Roger's DNS server. First thing you should try is changing your DNS server settings on your PS3 or even your router to Open DNS and see if that fixes the problem.

Enjoy
post #35 of 43 Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55

It's been freezing my PS3 for nearly a week now. Each time I try and watch something, the screen goes black, save for the video's title graphics, and the console locks, requiring a forced reboot. Since all the other web streaming services work, it's hrd to imagine that the problem is with the ISP-though since I'm with Comcast, it's tempting to blame it on them...

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #36 of 43 Old 12-05-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydog38 View Post

hey there,
Just bumping the thread with what I did to get my PS3 working with the new You Tube app.
My PS3 was always crashing when I would navigate in the new app. When trying to quit it would reboot. I'm on Rogers internet, so I thought I'd try Open DNS's servers (props to killuminati187 for giving me the idea!). Now it's smooth and quick! No stuttering, Device integration is working great,
So, the problem seems to be related to Roger's DNS server. First thing you should try is changing your DNS server settings on your PS3 or even your router to Open DNS and see if that fixes the problem.
Enjoy

I switched to OpenDNS just to see, and the YouTube app now runs as it should. The HD level vids look nice on a flat screen TV, and the sd stuff isn't too bad either. I had no idea that my choice of DNS would have such a dramatic effect on my service. I have been told by more than one person that the choice of DNS shouldn't really matter, so someone that knows more than me can set me straight.

I'll check back soon to make sure it's not just a placebo effect.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #37 of 43 Old 12-05-2012, 08:51 AM

I switched to OpenDNS last night and my YouTube app now works. No more freezing and reboots. I am a Comcast subscriber.
post #38 of 43 Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I've heard of issues from OpenDNS due to their blacklisting. Keep that in mind if you experience further issues. I use 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2.
post #39 of 43 Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

I've heard of issues from OpenDNS due to their blacklisting. Keep that in mind if you experience further issues. I use 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2.

I read up on the OpenDNS site and checked the details before I switched. Their public DNS- 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220 - are open and unlimited. You have to sign up for their parental control service and use a different set of addresses to block any sites. If I ever have an access problem I'll be the first one to dump them, but so far so good.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #40 of 43 Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
OK, didn't realize there were two different services from them.
post #41 of 43 Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

It's been freezing my PS3 for nearly a week now. Each time I try and watch something, the screen goes black, save for the video's title graphics, and the console locks, requiring a forced reboot. Since all the other web streaming services work, it's hrd to imagine that the problem is with the ISP-though since I'm with Comcast, it's tempting to blame it on them...

Well, I changed DNS settings on my router Thursday and-it didn't crash. So maybe that was it, or it coincided with the revamp of their site.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #42 of 43 Old 12-30-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Still sucks for me. Well, I should clarify. Browsing is much improved. Don't know if it's because of the DNS change or not, but I have no issues with that now, where before it was horrible.

However, I still have major stuttering and performance issues actually playing videos. I was able to watch one recent HD video perfectly (Shuffling, don't shoot me, my 7yr old loves it) but after that, the same terrible performance. Stuttering like mad, like it has no buffering at all. Now, my connection is wireless. But I was monitoring the router with my laptop at the time and the laptop's connection and the S/N were basically identical during each attempt. And I have never had streaming issues with any of the other other PS3 video apps I use (Netflix, Amazon, VUDU occasionally, even Crunchyroll which I don't subscribe to but tried out). In fact my son is now watching Phineas and Ferb in HD with excellent quality and no stuttering, immediately after I gave up on Youtube. I get the feeling that Youtube is just picking the best quality no matter what and I have to have a perfect connection for it to work. I've actually reverted to watching videos in the browser because even though the quality is worse it isn't stuttering like mad. Which is pretty pathetic.

I tried checking for settings to adjust the quality. I've tried pausing the video to let it buffer. Nothing seems to improve. Not sure why my experience is so poor, but as it stands the app is unfortunately useless to me.
post #43 of 43 Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is the official app better then -- ps3youtube.com?

I like being able to download videos
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page