YouTube on the PS3 No Longer Sucks! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 08-14-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to the new app that supports HD (highly compressed) and Layback (control via smart phone/tablet). Check it out and say good bye to the awfulness that was YouTube XL and the crappy PS3 browser!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 08-15-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post

Thanks to the new app that supports HD (highly compressed) and Layback (control via smart phone/tablet). Check it out and say good bye to the awfulness that was YouTube XL and the crappy PS3 browser!

I downloaded the app. It immediately crashed my PS3. After reboot it has taken me 20 minutes to load the program and search for a video. I am now going on 5 minutes of waiting for the video to load.

Either the PS3 puts priority on PS Store downloads (I am downloading a few games) or this app is a piece of trash. Im leaning toward the app being a piece of trash.

Edit: It paused my ps store downloads. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to watch approx 6 videos. Minium 3 minutes of load time. EPIC FAIL.

Im on 20mbps hsi connection.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 Old 08-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Odd. I didn't have any trouble. I did notice the app isn't available in the Canada store yet (I really looked for it). There was a firmware update that I did yesterday that I'm not sure was required, but thought maybe it was part of why I couldn't find the app. In the end I had to login to my US account and download the app from there. It booted up fine and I signed it with my youtube info. Everything was there and played fine. Really like how much clearer the videos looked compared to the old version.

I did notice that Crackle is available in the Canada store and not in the US store. But my guess is that it's because we don't have half the streaming apps the US has. HULU isn't available here.
post #4 of 43 Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I was able to play videos fine but at HD resolution the playback was pretty bad, pausing/stuttering quite a bit. I am wireless but I get great quality from VUDU, Netflix, etc. The A/V quality was high, probably too high, it'd be nice if it adapted better to stream smoothly.

Hopefully it gets better.
post #5 of 43 Old 08-16-2012, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I downloaded the app & played around with it for a few minutes last night. I'm not a big YouTube user but came away quite impressed with it on PS3, even with my 1.5mb connection. Another good addition.
post #6 of 43 Old 08-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Not sure why this is not available in Canada, but I downloaded it on my US account. First attempt at using it did not go good... at all. Took a very long time to load up, and then it crashed when changing categories, which forced me to quit the app that made my PS3 reboot. I'll give it another try because youtube XL is very painful to use.

PSN = Hatcher14
post #7 of 43 Old 08-16-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I had no trouble getting the new YouTube app to work and stream videos smoothly last night, but I found the interface and search function a bit clunky (in the search, you select letters of the alphabet like you would when entering your initials in an old arcade game--very tedious to spell multi-word titles that way!). I also ran into some videos from a major game company (Bioware) that would not play in the app, giving an error message that the format of the video was not supported by the device I was using. Huh?

I assume that I'll be able to log into my regular YouTube account with this app, and will have a better experience accessing content than I did when just blindly browsing and searching.
GW-SMOkeY likes this.
post #8 of 43 Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Weird that some people having the same issues I spoke of and others are saying its working fine. I cannot change catagories without a 10-15 second delay or crash. Of the 15 or so videos I've tried to watch only one has loaded, and buffered half way through. There are not video quality options from what I could find either. My ISP in general doesn't do a great job with youtube decodes on HD, but I can watch HD video from other sources just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 43 Old 08-16-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

I also ran into some videos from a major game company (Bioware) that would not play in the app, giving an error message that the format of the video was not supported by the device I was using. Huh?

That likely means that the PS3 app only supports a limited subset of the codecs that Youtube has used over the years. There may be licensing issues there that make it untenable to support them (codec licenses can be pretty expensive). Check out this cost calculator for licensing codecs:

http://www.streamcrest.com/License%20Calculator9.html

Not sure how much of it applies to specifically to the Youtube app but for a wild guess picking MPEG4 / H.264 as the codec and saying 5 million copies adds up to at least a million bucks. If their situation is at all like that it is a lot of cash to blow on a free app.

Cheers
post #10 of 43 Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 PM

Working pretty good here. Love the integration with my phone. I can constantly search and que up new songs to play. Loving it. Please, Sony, Pandora and HBO Go next.
post #11 of 43 Old 08-17-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore27 View Post

Working pretty good here. Love the integration with my phone. I can constantly search and que up new songs to play. Loving it. Please, Sony, Pandora and HBO Go next.
While I would love HBO GO, I've found Pandora works pretty well in the PS3 browser...
post #12 of 43 Old 08-17-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

While I would love HBO GO, I've found Pandora works pretty well in the PS3 browser...

There is no Pandora ap thought...that would be great

post #13 of 43 Old 08-17-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore27 View Post

Thanks for the idea of adding videos I want to watch to my playlist via other devices. When I search in this PS3 app, I'm unable to filter results, so say for example, I want to watch the latest video game reviews from GameTrailers.com, searching "GameTrailers Reviews" brings up ALL their reviews, so dozens of reviews from one or two years ago show up ahead of ones from the past two months, which is what I'm looking for, forcing me to scroll through all of them.
post #14 of 43 Old 08-17-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
At the request of my sister, I installed this program on my parent's PS3.

First playback had no problems. Subsequent attempts to play some videos froze. Hitting the PS button to quit out of the program caused the PS3 to reboot itself.

I advised my parents not to use the app for awhile, until a newer version comes out.
post #15 of 43 Old 08-17-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 63

Why won't they free Crackle from the confines of the browser as well?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #16 of 43 Old 08-18-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

+1
post #17 of 43 Old 08-18-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Just downloaded and installed You Tube app and uninstalled it almost as fast. Total suckage. I couldn't get any video to load and trying to quit the app restarted the ps3. Second time launching same thing couldn't get a video to play and this time couldn't get the app to let me quit out of it. Had to quit the ps3.

installed and dowloaded Crunchy Roll to take a peek. It says I have to activate the system or something like that. I have not been able to activate a system. I remember trying a while back and it said it was done and couldn't get it to do anything. I'm logged on to my account go to activate, video and it says activate, video, ok, and done. Then try to start Crunchy Roll and get the same activate system message. What gives? Does someone know how to activate so I can try the Crunchy Roll app?

Thanks.
post #18 of 43 Old 08-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Just make a Canadian account and you can download the app from the PS Store.
post #19 of 43 Old 08-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Not sure why the app is working for some and not for others. I have messed around with it a bit with no issues. Not sold on the UI, but that will be tweaked as time goes on, I imagine. Just wanted to post so that people would give it a try despite some people's issues with it.

post #20 of 43 Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 PM

Liked: 832
I got it to crash too, skipping around a large/long video.
post #21 of 43 Old 08-19-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I'll jump on as well and say that app sucks worse than the previous browser app. I did manage to get to watch 1 video and it was in hd but it took the better part of 20 minutes to load the app, do a search (incredibly slow) and load the video. Somethings got to give on this. A youtube app is badly needed. And by that I mean one you can watch a 4 minute video and not take you nearly a half hour to do it.

post #22 of 43 Old 08-19-2012, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
just use = ps3youtube.com

even lets you download most videos
post #23 of 43 Old 08-19-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Works fine for me. Just login and it lets you watch vids from your subscriptions.

500 gigs FTW.
post #24 of 43 Old 08-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

(in the search, you select letters of the alphabet like you would when entering your initials in an old arcade game--very tedious to spell multi-word titles that way!)

Are poo and ass taken?

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #25 of 43 Old 08-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Very nice. Better than the 360 app. Got to setup the tablet thing for my wife.
post #26 of 43 Old 08-21-2012, 06:25 AM

I love the new youtube app so far, my only complaint is that it adds a little complication to sign in for the first time with your own youtube account. Jenna Marbles on mute on my 55" LED... smile.gif
post #27 of 43 Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 AM

It sucks for me. Evertyime i try to use it, it buffers and the voice sounds like a robot. Even if i pause it to let load a little it starts out fine then they voice will sound like a robot. Netflix, Hulu, and Vudu run fine. My speed is 6 Mbps.
post #28 of 43 Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I wonder what I'm doing wrong. This app runs very choppy whenever I try to use it. I've played older and newer youtube vids, and even a bunch of the new front page stuff, but it plays back choppy audio and video. It's like the app doesn't buffer enough- pause it for a sec then restart, it plays just fine for 3-5 seconds and then back to choppy. I even tried waiting to the later section of a vid and paused for it to buffer fully, but no luck. I run Amazon Prime, NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice on my connection and rarely have any problems.

Either this could use a patch or Comcast internet just hates it.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #29 of 43 Old 08-24-2012, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've had the same problem on some videos, and I think its the app it-self because all of the other internet features work fine and it's not the internet connection.

post #30 of 43 Old 08-24-2012, 10:42 PM

Super laggy for me - I have a fast cable connection, and the videos still lag a lot... Seems like a sub-par app.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page