Madden on the Vita - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-18-2012, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Has anybody tried the demo ? What do you think ?

Here is my take on it:

At first blush, Madden on the Vita seems pretty impressive. When you first see the stadium and the players, it seems like it is a pretty good port of an older PS3 Madden to the Vita. Similar to a game like Mortal Kombat, you can tell that everything has a lower polygon count, and they are trying to squeeze the console look onto the handheld, and not totally successful, but still pretty decent overall. It doesn't have the new physics that the console Madden has, but considering the Vita user base, I don't think I can blame EA too much for that. The gameplay seems pretty decent overall. It plays like Madden 12 on the PS3. They have the new announcers, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of them or not yet. I'm guessing they will start saying the same things over and over and I'll end up turning the announcers off.

The biggest negative to me, is that the game itself is very choppy and very "hitchy". Kinda hard to explain with words, but when playing it, the animations and replays and stuff just seem really framey and herky jerky. It's gotten to the point where all the herky jerkiness is starting to annoy me. The other thing that is really lame, is how the players "skate" around on the surface. You can tell that their feet aren't really touching the ground, and it's kinda like they are skating around a few inches off the ground. Just seems kinda weird, and some of the animations look really goofy because of this. Another thing that bothers me is all the touch bullcrap. Hopefully the full version allows you to quickly turn all that touch crap off. The last thing I want is my fingers on the back of the Vita accidentally activating some dumb control scheme that uses the back touchpad.

I'd have to say that this game isn't to Football what Fifa is to Soccer or what MLB The Show is to baseball. Both of those Vita versions are damn good. Especially Fifa. This Madden doesn't seem quite up to that level, and all the choppiness of the replays and stuff is very irritating. Hopefully that can be patched at some point, and maybe be a smoother experience, but I'm not going to hold my breath. At one point, Amazon had this game for $35, and was also offering a $10 credit towards a future Amazon purchase, but the price is back up to $40. If I could have got that $35 deal (which would have essentially made the game $25 shipped), I would have jumped on it, even considering the fact that the game isn't really that great. (what can I say... I love me some football!)

At this point, I'm going to have to pass on it, and wait to find it on Craigslist or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
agree, the demo was way too choppy, even selecting plays was choppy.... if it got rid of that, I'd be fine with it.... I'm going tos tick with the PS3 version unless reviews indicate that problem is fixed.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page