PS3 Slim with DVI problem? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-20-2012, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I am trying to hook my PS3 slim up to an older HD CRT (Sony KV-34XBR800) but I am having some issues. This television has a DVI port, and I am trying to hook my PS3 up with a DVI>HDMI cable. Whenever I try to change the display to HDMI, I just get a black screen and no signal whatsoever before it changes back. At first I thought it was the cable so I tried my standalone (Sony) blu-ray player with the same cable and it works just fine. I was thinking it was an HDCP problem but I this is my second XBR and the first worked fine. Also, I'm pretty sure that the XBRs were HDCP compliant... Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-20-2012, 10:40 PM

Liked: 93
Early HDCP was super, super flakey. That TV was really early in to HDCP adoption. You are lucky that it works at all with anything that requires HDCP. smile.gif Modern HDCP is still pretty crap, but at least it finally works the majority of the time.

As to solutions? Hook the PS3 up to a PC monitor real quick. Set the PS3 to only do 480i/480p over HDMI. Does it work now? Then try adding 720p to the options. Still work? Try 1080i. Still work? Google says that display is unreliable for 1080i over DVI.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Early HDCP was super, super flakey. That TV was really early in to HDCP adoption. You are lucky that it works at all with anything that requires HDCP. smile.gif Modern HDCP is still pretty crap, but at least it finally works the majority of the time.
As to solutions? Hook the PS3 up to a PC monitor real quick. Set the PS3 to only do 480i/480p over HDMI. Does it work now? Then try adding 720p to the options. Still work? Try 1080i. Still work? Google says that display is unreliable for 1080i over DVI.

The PS3 works fine over standard HDMI cable as I have used it on a different television fine. I know it's not the cable or the tv as I hooked up my blu-ray player to test it and it displayed 1080i just fine. For some reason when I try to change the display to HDMI with my ps3 hooked up to DVI I just get a black screen.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 08:03 AM

Hence the words "unreliable" and "flakey" in my post. Everything may work independently, but in combination it breaks. Did you actually try different resolutions as I suggested, or is your response simply "Everything works fine!" when it so obviously doesn't?
post #5 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hence the words "unreliable" and "flakey" in my post. Everything may work independently, but in combination it breaks. Did you actually try different resolutions as I suggested, or is your response simply "Everything works fine!" when it so obviously doesn't?

The hostility isn't really necessary as I'm new to these forums, but OK. I don't have a monitor with a DVI input, just this television. The slim PS3 does output perfectly via HDMI cables on other sets. I'm trying to use a DVI>HDMI cable to view an HD signal on my CRT which lacks an HDMI input. I have tried lower (composite/component) resolutions on the Sony TV and then tried switching the display setting to HDMI, but when I go to the DVI input, I just get a black screen.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 08:23 AM

post #7 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

I know how to reset the video settings back to the default so sorry if I am being unclear. I am trying to get my PS3 to output in HD via a HDMI to DVI cable. I change the setting on the PS3 to HDMI and then cycle to the DVI input on my TV, but all I get is a black screen before it reverts back to 480i. I know the TV supports both 720p and 1080i, and I know the HDMI>DVI cable works because it works with my sony blu-ray player on the same TV. What I don't understand is why it works with my Sony blu-ray player but not my PS3 with the same television. I know you're just trying to help so I apologize if I am coming off as snide, as that wasn't my intention. I'm just trying to get some help from pros like yourself who know a lot more about this kind of thing than I do tongue.gif
post #8 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I used a DVI input on my old RPTV for years before stepping up. It was 1080i only, no 720p. Here is my advice. Plug it in with an HDMI to DVI cable. PS3 off. Turn on the PS3 with the power button, holding it until the second beep, resetting the video. Do the video setup yourself, only checking the 480 options, and 1080i. If that works, add resolutions until it doesn't work, then redo with the ones that do work.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

I used a DVI input on my old RPTV for years before stepping up. It was 1080i only, no 720p. Here is my advice. Plug it in with an HDMI to DVI cable. PS3 off. Turn on the PS3 with the power button, holding it until the second beep, resetting the video. Do the video setup yourself, only checking the 480 options, and 1080i. If that works, add resolutions until it doesn't work, then redo with the ones that do work.

I have tried this and unfortunately it won't work. I can't get any resolutions to display over the DVI input with the PS3, not even 480i. When I cycle to the DVI input on my TV (video 7) there is just a black screen. I know it's not the cable because again it works fine with a standalone blu-ray player on this TV so the problem lies in the PS3.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 01:38 PM

"so the problem lies in the PS3"

Or the TV. Or the cable. You're making an assumption that you have not proven through investigation.

Again, your display is flaky in regards to both HDCP and 1080i over DVI. A different cable may fix the problem, though it's the least likely culprit. I would also bet that it is pretty likely that if you hooked up another PS3 of the same revision it would still give you issues. Just because HDMI out from a Bluray player works doesn't mean that HDMI from everything will work on that input. It means you got lucky that time. smile.gif

HDMI is a terrible format that is pretty crap in terms of user reliability. Even on all new hardware where HDCP works best, you still have issues. For example, my 2011 Xbox 360 Slim, going in to my 2012 Marantz NR1602 receiver and 2012 Samsung 64" plasma, if I don't turn things on in a particular order the 360 defaults to stereo output instead of Dolby 5.1. Why? Because HDMI hates the consumer. The situation was far worse on early HDCP product, such as your DVI+HDCP CRT, which is just HDMI without audio. HDMI v0.5 if you will.

So, since you've already reset the PS3 video output and tried 480i over HDMI without success, your next step is to get a new cable. If that fails, then borrow a friend's PS3 to see if that functions. Hook your PS3 up to a friend's PC monitor or HDTV to see if it will physically spit out anything over HDMI without failure.

The easy solution? Hook the PS3 up using component video to the CRT. I'd imagine 3rd party PS2/PS3 component video cables are under $5 off Amazon.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Kevers, can you pass through the video from a A/V receiver to the TV? That's how I have my set up right now. I'm still using a 57" Toshiba from 2003 (time for an upgrade) and have the PS3 going to the receiver. Then using the HDMI>DVI cable going from the receiver to the TV.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

"so the problem lies in the PS3"
Or the TV. Or the cable. You're making an assumption that you have not proven through investigation.
Again, your display is flaky in regards to both HDCP and 1080i over DVI. A different cable may fix the problem, though it's the least likely culprit. I would also bet that it is pretty likely that if you hooked up another PS3 of the same revision it would still give you issues. Just because HDMI out from a Bluray player works doesn't mean that HDMI from everything will work on that input. It means you got lucky that time. smile.gif
HDMI is a terrible format that is pretty crap in terms of user reliability. Even on all new hardware where HDCP works best, you still have issues. For example, my 2011 Xbox 360 Slim, going in to my 2012 Marantz NR1602 receiver and 2012 Samsung 64" plasma, if I don't turn things on in a particular order the 360 defaults to stereo output instead of Dolby 5.1. Why? Because HDMI hates the consumer. The situation was far worse on early HDCP product, such as your DVI+HDCP CRT, which is just HDMI without audio. HDMI v0.5 if you will.
So, since you've already reset the PS3 video output and tried 480i over HDMI without success, your next step is to get a new cable. If that fails, then borrow a friend's PS3 to see if that functions. Hook your PS3 up to a friend's PC monitor or HDTV to see if it will physically spit out anything over HDMI without failure.
The easy solution? Hook the PS3 up using component video to the CRT. I'd imagine 3rd party PS2/PS3 component video cables are under $5 off Amazon.

Thank you. I've ordered a high quality DVI>HDMI cable from monoprice so I can test it out with another cable and see if that works. I do have component cables but I can't watch blu-ray movies over component because of Sony's stupid HDCP on the new slim models mad.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipz View Post

Kevers, can you pass through the video from a A/V receiver to the TV? That's how I have my set up right now. I'm still using a 57" Toshiba from 2003 (time for an upgrade) and have the PS3 going to the receiver. Then using the HDMI>DVI cable going from the receiver to the TV.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I have an older Pioneer receiver hooked up with this set and it lacks HDMI. That method probably would have worked too...
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page