Counter Strike: Global Offensive for PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
No threads in PS3 yet?! I can't be the only one to have it lol.

Found this a rebirth of the classic, if you never played the original or at least CS: Source then it may not be your thing. If you at all enjoyed this years ago do yourself a favor and shell out the $15 ($12 if Plus) and have fun!

They re-shelled the Source version so don't expect a lot of mechanical changes. But why mess with something that wasn't broke?? This is still team based driven and classic.

AznNY83 on PSN, also play BF3.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-22-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
I picked it up yesterday. It's definitely still a classic and worth playing in this day and age. The port isn't as polished as I'd have hoped, but source games have always been a little bit shoddy on console.

If you played CS back in the day you absolutely need to pick it up, it's a great trip down memory lane....and still a very good game. I'm itching to play again tonight, CS is still super addictive even today.

If it was running at 60fps and was a little more console-centric....this could really compete with the big guys.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #3 of 16 Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I never played this game, but I loved the Extraction mode in SOCOM II - mystifyingly something no shooter has replicated for PS3.

I'd love to see a decently made Extraction-based FPS/TPS shooter for PS3. It's only been, what, 15 years??

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #4 of 16 Old 08-22-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

If you played CS back in the day you absolutely need to pick it up, it's a great trip down memory lane....and still a very good game.
CS was excellent back in the day. It was (and still is) one of the only online multiplayer games I ever really got deeply into. Killzone 2 is the only other. The original Modern Warfare is a distant third.

I guess I just don't know why Valve wanted to repackage this without adding a lot. I'm sure it's still good, but I've already put in my hundreds of hours. Why would I want to put in more? This release doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #5 of 16 Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

If you played CS back in the day you absolutely need to pick it up, it's a great trip down memory lane....and still a very good game.
CS was excellent back in the day. It was (and still is) one of the only online multiplayer games I ever really got deeply into. Killzone 2 is the only other. The original Modern Warfare is a distant third.

I guess I just don't know why Valve wanted to repackage this without adding a lot. I'm sure it's still good, but I've already put in my hundreds of hours. Why would I want to put in more? This release doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

They added quite a bit. They completely revamped the gfx, added a ton of new content, put in matchmaking, achievements, every control scheme you could imagine, etc. I've put in hundreds of hours too....like a decade ago. It's a good time to revisit it, touched up for the modern age. It's far more than a repackaging....this is a bigger jump over CSS than CSS was over 1.6. I just wish the source engine itself was better on console.

post #6 of 16 Old 08-22-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Definitely agree that they "could have" done more but the fact is that I agree it is more than just a repackaging. New modes, graphics, guns, and CHEAP!! lol

I am dusting off my bluetooth mouse and wireless keyboard, once I get new batteries I will be unstoppable haha. There is something to be said for kicking ass in CS - no aim assist or anything to help other than your own reflexes.

post #7 of 16 Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

For someone who put in so much CS time on PC, how well does the controller translate the experience?

post #8 of 16 Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

For someone who put in so much CS time on PC, how well does the controller translate the experience?

I was skeptical but it actually wasn't that bad. Of course there is a learning curve to get used to the different aiming and mapping. I still missed keyboard and mouse though since there's no way to map all the buttons you can use on the controller.

post #9 of 16 Old 08-23-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Almost as well as any other console game. I find their acceleration curve a little weird, but you can adjust to it.

post #10 of 16 Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been reading up on the early reviews and they all seem very positive. I've never played CS, but as a diehard fan of SOCOM II hostage extraction mode, this game is intriguing.

Anyone here care to comment on the hostage extraction mode? Is it only available on a couple maps? Gameplay?

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #11 of 16 Old 08-23-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin View Post

I've been reading up on the early reviews and they all seem very positive. I've never played CS, but as a diehard fan of SOCOM II hostage extraction mode, this game is intriguing.
Your reaction pretty much answers my above question. I'm seeing more and more people coming out of the woodwork saying they've never played CS. Guess now I understand why Valve would release this updated version! Hopefully you newcomers can see why we "old-timers" still hold it up as the bog standard for all online shooters.

post #12 of 16 Old 08-23-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin View Post

Your reaction pretty much answers my above question. I'm seeing more and more people coming out of the woodwork saying they've never played CS. Guess now I understand why Valve would release this updated version! Hopefully you newcomers can see why we "old-timers" still hold it up as the bog standard for all online shooters.

+1000 :-)

post #13 of 16 Old 08-24-2012, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have been awaiting this release for awhile now. Is it only on PSN, or are there physical copies being sold as well? I put countless hours into this game back around 2000-2003. The only other online experience to come close to this for me is the first COD: Modern Warfare. I have put a lot of hours into BF3 as well, and I do like it...but CS was always my favorite.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-24-2012, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

I have been awaiting this release for awhile now. Is it only on PSN, or are there physical copies being sold as well? I put countless hours into this game back around 2000-2003. The only other online experience to come close to this for me is the first COD: Modern Warfare. I have put a lot of hours into BF3 as well, and I do like it...but CS was always my favorite.

I am pretty sure its download only, multiplayer only and inexpensive.

post #15 of 16 Old 08-24-2012, 10:36 PM

As someone who was playing CS way back in the day (I believe I started at 1.2), I remember when the game used to tell you if you had hit kevlar... Anyway, the game is fun, but has anyone noticed wonky hit detection? I don't know if that's an issue, or if the connection is bad (I do detest how console games don't tell you what your latency is).
post #16 of 16 Old 08-25-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5667 View Post

As someone who was playing CS way back in the day (I believe I started at 1.2), I remember when the game used to tell you if you had hit kevlar... Anyway, the game is fun, but has anyone noticed wonky hit detection? I don't know if that's an issue, or if the connection is bad (I do detest how console games don't tell you what your latency is).

There have def been some situations where I swore I was just unloading into them, and I didn't score a single hit. But that's always been CS.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page