Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 280 Old 05-25-2013, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Now that I finally have a PC setup that can handle 1080p/60/3D....I have to say, it really is so much better than 720p, the extra resolution really brings the 3D image together. Frame rate is still more important than resolution for 3D, I still believe that's the single biggest reason why people hate on 3D so much....because they havent seen it done right. So I'd still take 720p/60 over 1080p/30.....but no way the PS4 is going to handle 1080p/60/3D in more than a handful of PSN games. Now that I know what I'm missing, I'm pretty disappointed the PS4 is going to be behind the curve from day one. I still prefer the "it just works" console over the fiddly nature of PCs....I guess you can't have it all. I just wish they'd make a whole line of PS4s and let me drop 1K on a super PS4 that could keep up with my A/V gear.

Ah well, that's what getting back into PC gaming does to you. :P
We can only hope... rolleyes.gif

OLED Panels/ 4K Ultra HD TV... Redefining an Imperfect World

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 280 Old 05-26-2013, 11:45 PM

Liked: 10
If the PS4 will not initially with HDMI 2.0, it is possible that he will appear in the PS4 slim.
post #273 of 280 Old 05-27-2013, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tttt4 View Post

If the PS4 will not initially with HDMI 2.0, it is possible that he will appear in the PS4 slim.
Possible, and for future video playback that might be useful. While I can understand why Sony played it safe when they spoke about 4K gaming they probably should have said that the PS4 hardware could support it. Many gaming websites don't bother with any research so they post what they hear without context for what it really means.
post #274 of 280 Old 05-28-2013, 07:50 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul View Post

Possible, and for future video playback that might be useful. While I can understand why Sony played it safe when they spoke about 4K gaming they probably should have said that the PS4 hardware could support it. Many gaming websites don't bother with any research so they post what they hear without context for what it really means.

I wouldn't stretch Sony's comments to mean anything other than what they quoted. 4K gaming is not coming to PS4, as much as Sony fans want it to.
post #275 of 280 Old 05-28-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboi352 View Post

I wouldn't stretch Sony's comments to mean anything other than what they quoted. 4K gaming is not coming to PS4, as much as Sony fans want it to.
The problem is that people who don't understand how graphically demanding 4K gaming is might think that the Xbox One is more powerful than the PS4 based on the different responses that were given by Microsoft and Sony. The PS4 hardware is almost certainly capable of 4K gaming so Sony should have mentioned that and than given an explanation for why they are not planning to support 4K gaming on the PS4. Game consoles are often sold based on perception and simply saying that your game console hardware is capable of 4K gaming sounds good from a marketing angle.
vilfrard likes this.
post #276 of 280 Old 05-30-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Well, that sucks....Its too bad plasma can't stay afloat no matter how much better it is than LCD. OLED has promise but....we've been so close to OLED for like the past five years. I'll believe a 50 inch OLED when I see it. tongue.gif

True enough. Hopefully if nothing else Panasonic (and Samsung too) will continue to make high quality plasmas for at least the next 3-5 years. I figure that will be the amount of time it will take to get "affordable" OLED in the market. If not I'm holding off on a new tv because LCD is a non-starter for me.
post #277 of 280 Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul View Post

The problem is that people who don't understand how graphically demanding 4K gaming is might think that the Xbox One is more powerful than the PS4 based on the different responses that were given by Microsoft and Sony. The PS4 hardware is almost certainly capable of 4K gaming so Sony should have mentioned that and than given an explanation for why they are not planning to support 4K gaming on the PS4. Game consoles are often sold based on perception and simply saying that your game console hardware is capable of 4K gaming sounds good from a marketing angle.

Great points all around.
post #278 of 280 Old 05-30-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I would think some of the PixelJunk games could run at 4K on PS4. Or would that not be possible ?
post #279 of 280 Old 05-30-2013, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I would think some of the PixelJunk games could run at 4K on PS4. Or would that not be possible ?

Totally possible. They ran at 1080p on the PS3 - low spec games can always push a higher resolution. PS4 has a lot of ROPs and bandwidth, it can push a lot of pixels, as long as they're conservative with the shaders....they can do it.

Also, 2D (sprite based) games in general should be able to swing it, if the artists care to make the sprites that detailed and they don't go crazy on the effects.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #280 of 280 Old 05-30-2013, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Polyphony Digital did show off 4K tech demos of Gran Turismo years ago using 4 PS3 units. If the PS4 can output 4K gaming like it can with video than it wouldn't surprise me to see Polyphony Digital do the same using a single PS4 just for exhibition purposes.Sony could use such a demo in their stores to help show off their 4K TVs. It would probably be a lot of work so having say a couple of cars and tracks would be good enough for a tech demo on the PS4. For sure the frame rate would have to be 30p or less. Maybe do it at 24p to be safe.

The Nvida shield is capable of outputting 4K videos so it really shouldn't be surprising for the PS4 to output 4K gaming but it would mostly be for tech demos to show off their 4K screens or as mentioned, simple games in the future. Rather or not it's possibly, it'll be up to Sony to enable it. Maybe they'll eventually allow it or maybe they'll see it's not worth it.

Personally, I'm more hoping for the PS4 to be able to playback 2160 60p videos which is why this thing better be able to at the very least be upgradable to HDMI 2.0 if it's not their on the first day.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page