post #1 of 174 Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes is the next entry into the MGS franchise:
Quote:
According to reports from attendees, Konami showed a brief demo of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zero. The game will allegedly be an open-world title that runs on Kojima Productions’ FOX Engine. Snippets of footage showed Snake avoiding searchlights, riding a jeep, and calling a helicopter in for evacuation.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 174 Old 08-30-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Sam Fischer is really Snake?

!

The 5.0 is here
post #3 of 174 Old 08-30-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
^ Lol...Splinter Snake....

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #4 of 174 Old 08-30-2012, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
MGS3 + open world = <3
post #5 of 174 Old 08-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
i think the its called MGS Ground Zeroes. i cant wait to see my favorite video game character again, REVOLVER OCELOT. and im dying to know the plot in this one.
post #6 of 174 Old 08-31-2012, 01:28 PM

Liked: 12
In before they have to rename the game because it has "Ground Zero" in the title. tongue.gif

Cant wait to hear more about this one though.
post #7 of 174 Old 09-01-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Any direct suggestion that this is for PS3? Or might we conjecture that this is in the works for an unnamed future console?

Also, between this and Metal Gear Rising, I don't understand why there's so much reluctance to go ahead and make it "MGS5." What's the advantage of doing Ground Zeroes as a spin-off rather than a full-blown sequel?

EDIT:
Quote:
Though running on a PC, Kojima stated that the footage was comparable to what would be seen on the PS3 version of the game.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/01/pax-2012-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-is-coming-to-ps3/

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #8 of 174 Old 09-01-2012, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
would be shocked if this is not on next gen..
post #9 of 174 Old 09-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

ps3 can handle such graphics. release date yet? tongue.gif
post #10 of 174 Old 09-01-2012, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Any direct suggestion that this is for PS3? Or might we conjecture that this is in the works for an unnamed future console?
Also, between this and Metal Gear Rising, I don't understand why there's so much reluctance to go ahead and make it "MGS5." What's the advantage of doing Ground Zeroes as a spin-off rather than a full-blown sequel?
EDIT:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/01/pax-2012-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-is-coming-to-ps3/

It's not a spinoff. According to Kojima, this is a prequel to Metal Gear Solid 5. And a damn good looking one at that. I wonder if this will come out next year. If it can look almost that good on PS3, then I hope it does. Otherwise, I really hope they wait for PS4 to release it. That would be a killer launch day title to have.

500 gigs FTW.
post #11 of 174 Old 09-01-2012, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The demo video has been added to the first post.

post #12 of 174 Old 09-02-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

It's not a spinoff. According to Kojima, this is a prequel to Metal Gear Solid 5.
Call it whatever you like, it still seems strange to spend so much time/money developing a game that's not a full-blown sequel (and isn't a PS Vita release). Why not just call it MGS5 and still say it's a prequel to the series (like MGS3 did)?

Not really a big deal, since I'll play it regardless. Just odd.

My guess is that this is a marketing tactic. Since this will be a multiplatform game and the 360 still hasn't (will it ever?) gotten an MGS4 release, it makes sense to do a game that doesn't sound like a sequel to a game that hasn't gotten released on the 360.

post #13 of 174 Old 09-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Dammit, it looks like I'm going to have to finally get Peace Walker to understand what's going on in this one.

- Jer
post #14 of 174 Old 09-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I recently finished Peace Walker (on the PS3, as part of the HD collection); it was a blast playing co-op with a friend online.

The graphics in that video are impressive; I'd be amazed if the PS3 version looks that good. I don't know what the hell is going on in that video, though; Snake resembles Big Boss in his surprise appearance in MGS4, but he shouldn't be anywhere near that old if this takes place shortly after Peace Walker.
post #15 of 174 Old 09-03-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I haven't being that exited for a video game since,...well MGS4.
Impressive Fox Engine!
post #16 of 174 Old 09-03-2012, 09:40 AM

Yup, as nice as MGS4 still looks; that screams next gen to me. The same brush off has been said for that new star wars game and the open world one they showed at E3. These are all in dev for next gen, mark my word/
post #17 of 174 Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

From the PS Blog:
Quote:
Hideo Kojima just confirmed that his new game, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, is coming to PS3.

post #18 of 174 Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

The game was confirmed to be 360 and PS3 in the video so I don't get why anyone thinks this is for next-gen. Also at the video you will see the Kinect is mentioned at the bottom with the list of logos. No reason to point out Kinect if it isn't being used. No Move logo.

The 5.0 is here
post #19 of 174 Old 09-03-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Yup, as nice as MGS4 still looks; that screams next gen to me. The same brush off has been said for that new star wars game and the open world one they showed at E3. These are all in dev for next gen, mark my word/

THIS gen! wink.gif
for PS3 and X360.
post #20 of 174 Old 09-03-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

The game was confirmed to be 360 and PS3 in the video so I don't get why anyone thinks this is for next-gen. Also at the video you will see the Kinect is mentioned at the bottom with the list of logos. No reason to point out Kinect if it isn't being used. No Move logo.
Just because a game is "confirmed" for a particular platform doesn't mean it's exclusive to that platform. I think those logos were added later (they weren't in the original video I saw).

We've already seen this happen with Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313. Just like Ground Zeroes, they demoed footage running on PCs that was clearly beyond current-gen console specs without naming a platform. But then when asked subsequently, they had to say "oh, yeah, it's for current gen systems." Riiiight. Because it wouldn't make sense to announce that during the official trailer/demo/announcement!

We're likely to keep seeing this sort of deliberate confusion up until Sony and MS finally announce next-gen consoles.

post #21 of 174 Old 09-03-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Just because a game is "confirmed" for a particular platform doesn't mean it's exclusive to that platform. I think those logos were added later (they weren't in the original video I saw).
We've already seen this happen with Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313. Just like Ground Zeroes, they demoed footage running on PCs that was clearly beyond current-gen console specs without naming a platform. But then when asked subsequently, they had to say "oh, yeah, it's for current gen systems." Riiiight. Because it wouldn't make sense to announce that during the official trailer/demo/announcement!
We're likely to keep seeing this sort of deliberate confusion up until Sony and MS finally announce next-gen consoles.

So when Lucasarts confirmed that the game is running on Unreal Engine 3 how is this "beyond current-gen console specs"? Konami/Kojima confirming the PC demo is running on similar specs to the current gen consoles specs with the new Fox engine. On top of that all 3 games are confirmed for current gen but they just couldn't help themselves to show off now when no one knows when the systems will release for next-gen? It isn't obvious or guranteed that next year MS or Sony are releasing a new console.

To me that strategy you keep describing makes no sense on an unknown release date of consoles. They might as well debuted these games right before the release of actual info for nextgen systems to build hype. For all we know the new systems won't be here until 2014 giving other games that will be shown specifically for next-gen vs announcing it now. Just like it has been done in the past.

The 5.0 is here
post #22 of 174 Old 09-03-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:

So when Lucasarts confirmed that the game is running on Unreal Engine 3 how is this "beyond current-gen console specs"? Konami/Kojima confirming the PC demo is running on similar specs to the current gen consoles specs with the new Fox engine. On top of that all 3 games are confirmed for current gen but they just couldn't help themselves to show off now when no one knows when the systems will release for next-gen? It isn't obvious or guranteed that next year MS or Sony are releasing a new console.
To me that strategy you keep describing makes no sense on an unknown release date of consoles. They might as well debuted these games right before the release of actual info for nextgen systems to build hype. For all we know the new systems won't be here until 2014 giving other games that will be shown specifically for next-gen vs announcing it now. Just like it has been done in the past.

Things are different now than they have been in the past. Launch games are going to take a good 4-4 & 1/2 years to Dev, promote and hype. Remember the huge problems of getting next gen capable games onto just this generation of consoles during both the 360 and PS3 launch?

In the mean time Publishers and Dev's still have shareholders to appease and the need to provide proof of what they're working on and planning and going to sell.

If you're working on a launch, AAA, next gen game.... Right now is about the time you start giving out little bits of info, assuming a fall 2014 launch. Otherwise you'll be behind, and aiming for year 1 or 2. This gen is different in that sony and MS still are seeing strong hardware sales and don't want to announce new tech until it's absolutely necessary. That said we know Hardware dev units have been out in the wild for both companies for some time already.

You think the biggest names are just sitting around twiddling their thumbs with them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

From the PS Blog:

I know, and I'm calling BS. Kojima made it even wierder by saying it will be released for this Gen, and also for next Gen but enhanced GFX and with additional features. Talk about underselling your product!

Make my word, 10K bet, it's a next gen title and they'll drop the shtick once we start getting word on next gen hardware. The lighting, element physics, and shaders in that video are far above anything we've seen on either console. While it might still come to current gen in a greatly diminished visual form, whats been being shown here, in the Star Wars game, and that open world game are far beyond what the consoles could do with playable frame rates.
post #23 of 174 Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^Pretty much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga 

Sony and MS have tied publishers' hands (yes, even KojiPro's) by holding back another year on console announcements. Publishers have been forced into a strange balancing act for the next year or so.

They can't openly acknowledge that a next gen exists without pissing off Sony and MS. They can't piss off investors by not proving that they're looking to the "future." And they can't piss off consumers by showing more of the same visual tech.

Like I said above, the strategy for most publishers seems now to be: show a trailer with in-game footage that goes beyond current console tech, don't announce specific consoles, and after the announcement clarify that it's for current gen and "possibly" for next gen. It's the best way for them to strike that balance and please the console manufacturers, investors, and consumers.

This weird PR "dance" is the only solution for the time being. They have to acknowledge the next gen without acknowledging it. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. There is no spoon. Etc. Etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII 
Make my word, 10K bet, it's a next gen title and they'll drop the shtick once we start getting word on next gen hardware. The lighting, element physics, and shaders in that video are far above anything we've seen on either console. While it might still come to current gen in a greatly diminished visual form, whats been being shown here, in the Star Wars game, and that open world game are far beyond what the consoles could do with playable frame rates.
Another way of saying this: publishers have long since stopped using PC as the lead platform. If that's the case, why are they now starting to use "PC" as the lead platform for all of this new in-game footage? The answer is that they're not, but they can't openly say that their current builds are built according to next-gen specs. So now they're showing us these new games (Watch Dogs, Star Wars 1313, Ground Zeroes, etc) and telling us clearly and deliberately that they're running on PC. Again, more dancing.

EDIT: The good news in all of this is that studios have clearly been working on big next-gen projects for a while now. The extended life of current consoles has given developers extra time to prepare for the next generation. That could mean that the next set of consoles comes out of the gates with an unusually strong line-up.

post #24 of 174 Old 09-04-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

So now the claim is these companies are even deceiving their own investors now? So these same investors that see that these games are confirmed announced for a current-gen consumer base are going to later found out "sike, ha ha this is really a next-gen game and not really for current-gen 120mil+ install base as we claimed officially". I never said these games couldn't be for next gen and later confirmed. It is the way both of you are claiming how they are going about it all because this gen as gone as long or because of MS/Sony. We saw EA do the same thing with Battlefield and later showed the console versions that didn't have what is in the PC version with that engine. How is this situation any different than that. What is even more mind boggling is how people now claim that Metal Gear is coming to PC just because it was demoed on a PC with a new engine even though it wasn't in the credits at the end of the video. Also, Metal Gear is announced as a multiplatform for the first time.

PCs have been used regularly many times showing off games at with using a 360/PS3 controller and I remember early on how companies were getting called out that they would actually claim it was running on a console but a hidden PC was found.

When and where did Kojima ever say this was for next-gen. All I have heard is as soon as the Fox engine was announced people speculated that it was for a next-gen project along with everyone hearing about Project Orge. Which is why everyone asked this weekend was this Metal Gear actually Project Orge.

The 5.0 is here
post #25 of 174 Old 09-04-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So now the claim is these companies are even deceiving their own investors now?
No one's talking about "deceiving" anyone. My wife isn't "deceiving" me when she doesn't tell me what she got me for my birthday, even if she teases me by saying that it's something that I'm really going to like. eek.gif

Publishers can't spill the beans on the next generation, or they risk souring their important relationships with the console manufacturers (not to mention the huge lawsuits they'd face). So they're having to strike a balance by showing next-gen targets while calling them PC builds for current gen platforms.

That's not deception. That's just PR.

post #26 of 174 Old 09-04-2012, 08:47 AM

Kojima has only said it was running on a PC and would "run comparably on the PS3". Sony has stated it is multiform. I did see an article stating that it would be released this gen, but also have a next gen release with better GFX and additional content, but can't seem to find the link now.

Either way, we've been seeing the first glimpses of next gen. Don't expect your late this Gen games to look much better than Last of Us.
post #27 of 174 Old 09-04-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
There's no way the game will look like it does in that trailer on a PS3 or 360.

Like TyrantII, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the game "moved" to next gen systems sometime after 2013.
post #28 of 174 Old 09-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

ground zeroes will release for current gen systems like kojima said in the video. and you all are going to feel stupid when this game launches for the ps3/360 late next year (hopefully). its not the best looking game we've seen yet. don't forget that uncharted 3, BF3 and the last of us look just as good as ground zeroes. now i have a feeling that MGS5 will be a next gen game. but its a guess. tyrantIII, 10k bet right? wink.gif
post #29 of 174 Old 09-05-2012, 01:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Valid points both ways, but I am leaning towards this game coming out for the PS3 and MGS5 for the PS4. The PS2 had MGS2 and MGS3 and subsistence versions of both. I can't see MGS4 being the only one this gen (and Rising doesn't count). The only thing throwing a wrench into my hunch is that 5 isn't in the title of MGS:GZ, but maybe it doesn't have too as long as it's a Hideo Kojima game.

It's the same way I see Gran Tourismo 6 coming out at the end of this gen. The PS2 had GT3 and GT4.

This may all be wishful thinking, but I guess we can only wait and see.

Also found this:
Quote:
We've been told for quite a while that Project Ogre is Kojima Productions' open-world debut to show off the new FOX Engine. So last week when the developer showed off Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, an open-world game running on the FOX Engine, many of us naturally assumed the two were one-in-the-same. But you know what they say about assuming.

Series creator Hideo Kojima has issued a long (and somewhat confusing) tweet denying the notion. "While I am happy to know people liked 'MGS Ground Zeroes', I'm sick & tired of people keep asking me like 'is that project Ogre?' here in Seattle everyday," he said. "Project Ogre is what the project that Ogre appears. Ogre does not appear in 'MGS Ground Zeroes' trailer."

So there you have it. Ground Zeroes isn't Ogre because it doesn't have an Ogre in it. Whether that means Project Ogre is a tech demo, or a full-fledged project, or some sort of Ground Zeroes tie-in, remains to be seen. But you have to hand it to Kojima, he actually managed to make his current project slate almost as baffling as the plot of his games.
post #30 of 174 Old 09-05-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
GT3 also came out about... 12 months after the PS2 launched, and GT4 came out 4 years after the hardware released.

GT5 didn't release until 4 years after the PS3 came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobright View Post

ground zeroes will release for current gen systems like kojima said in the video. and you all are going to feel stupid when this game launches for the ps3/360 late next year (hopefully). its not the best looking game we've seen yet. don't forget that uncharted 3, BF3 and the last of us look just as good as ground zeroes. now i have a feeling that MGS5 will be a next gen game. but its a guess. tyrantIII, 10k bet right? wink.gif

GZ looked far better than those games. It was also running on a PC so had a lot of polish in the IQ that wouldn't be in the console game.

No doubt there are PS3/360 builds floating around the offices. My feeling is based more on the business. We are getting new consoles next year. Would it make sense to release these games on the old systems in the wake of a new console release, or push them back a bit and have them launch on the new hardware? We'll see.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page