playstaion online access 50 bucks a year.. Is it a must? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got the PS3... I didnt get the online pass for 50 bucks. It a must have would you say for the ps3? I see some free games on there that look good. The pacman looks cool. But is it really worth 50 bucks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
You are referring to the PlayStation Plus service. We've been discussing it in this thread.

Online play is free on the PS3 (except a few MMO games). Browsing and buying games from the PSN store costs nothing extra. Paying $50 a year to be a PS+ member is completely optional. You get a lot of perks if you do, the best of which IMHO is the free games you can dload and the deep discounts on games you buy from the PSN store.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #3 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Are you going to be buying DLC games and addons ?

If you are then it;s totally worth it.

Saving a couple bucks times 10, 20, 50 times... plus all those free games to play.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Another way of looking at it: I have about 50 active PS3 users on my PS3 friends list. Of those 50 active users, about 1/3 subscribe to PlayStation Plus. I'm currently not one of them, though I have come very, very close to subscribing.

As for me, my only two reasons for not subscribing are:

1. I'm a cheap bastard, and PS+ seems like a ploy to get me to spend money in order to get me to spend even more money. It's a lot like a Costco membership.

2. I have more than enough games. Getting free and discounted games on a regular basis means I would never play all the games I have. Silly reason, I know.

So, no, it's not a "must have." But a lot of folks around here love it. In addition to free games and discounts, you also get nice features like cloud saves, early access to betas, and trial game demos.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #5 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 08:38 AM

Liked: 832
I'm in confidence man's camp, but only because there's no way I'd play enough or spend enough to make it worth while, plus taking in what the additional features would be worth to me. I just have too many other games, and I'm hesitant to spend more than a few bucks a quarter on game licenses that might disappear.

But if you play a lot of stuff, download a lot of DLC, ect; it is very worth it.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 185
He just got the PS3. Wading through a backlog is not an issue for him.

In fact DerekinMerrick, PS+ would be a better deal for you than any of us who already love it since you are only now building a library. For $50, you are $10 short of having enough money to buy one recent PS3 game release. For that same $50, you get a year subscription to PS3 and with it all of these full games are available to you to download immediately and play at no extra charge as much as you want until your sub runs out:

Note that every month, two of these games are removed from rotation (though if you dloaded them, you can still play/re-dload them as much as you want). In their place, two additional games are added. After twelve months, ypu will have had access to 22 more games than the 12 offered now.

For games you may want for your permanent collection, every week there are games and DLC offers that are discounted only to PS+ and you keep them forever - whether you sub or not. Sony's website says that in 2011 alone, all of the discounts offers they put out added up to over $1,200 off of the normal prices. That means you get a ton of stuff to save money on over time, so PS+ for almost all of us eventually pays for itself in discounts. After that, all the "free" stuff is truly free.

Lastly, these are the other perks you get with PS+:

Quote:
Automatic Update
Automatic Update gives you the choice to receive the latest PS3™ system software and all your latest game updates without lifting a finger. It can enable automated Trophy sync and game saves with PlayStation®Network or deliver selected game and video content directly to your console.

Online Game Save
Effortlessly load up to 1000 game save data files with 150MB of storage on the PlayStation®Network and access them on other PlayStation®3 systems.

Full Game Trial
It's like a 1-hour game rental and a great way to try before you buy. In the past, we've featured games like Red Faction®: Guerrilla™, inFamous, Mass Effect™ 2 and Borderlands™

Exclusive & Early Access
Enjoy exclusive content for your PS3™ and receive priority access to selected betas and demos. Past titles have included Mortal Kombat™, DC Universe™ Online, and Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception™.

PlayStation Plus is hands down the best deal in gaming today for even long time PS3 owners. If you are a new owner, then the value it is for you spikes up even more dramatically for a price that is $10 less than the average new PS3 game release. Here are some of the goodies coming to us this week:
Quote:
Starting on September 4th, Borderlands™ will be free to download on PSN for PlayStation®Plus Members. Borderlands places you in the role of a mercenary on the lawless and desolate planet of Pandora, hell bent on finding a legendary stockpile of powerful alien technology known as The Vault.

Dust 514 PlayStation®Plus members get Unlimited Access to the DUST 514 Exclusive Beta DUST 514 brings large-scale warfare and free-to-play shooter action to the massive EVE Online universe. Play the exclusive beta today through 9/3/12 on PSN by joining PlayStation®Plus.

So yeah, sign up! smile.gif
malvado78 likes this.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #7 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 83
Good post Joeblow.

My answer is an unequivocal YES!

Playstation Plus is awesome.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #8 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I resisted ever since Plus started, but finally committed for a year when the Instant Game Collection (IGC) was introduced in June despite the fact I had a bit of a backlog and most of the games in the initial IGC I was interested in, I already had. But from that point on, I knew Sony was getting serious about Plus. And I feel validated with the Cloud Storage increasing to 1 GB and Borderlands being free starting tomorrow.

Like Confidenceman mentions, yes, I do find myself spending time playing games I got for free instead of the ones I had previously deemed worth spending money on, still in my backlog. But you'd be surprised how much you'll appreciate some of the other Plus features. Full game trials, for instance, are nice because many games don't have demos or the demos don't give you access to many of the game's features, sometimes still leaving you with questions as to whether the game might be for you.

And it always puts a smile on my face when I turn on the PS3 each day and see that one or more of my games were patched overnight, so I don't have to wait out the downloading/install process next time I go to play it.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-04-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Maybe it's just me, but I'm lazy and hate getting up to put in a new disk.

So basically for 1.5 years I've left RockBand 3 in the machine and all others games I play are PSN ones.

I wish RB3 was on PSN like it is for xbox.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page