Need recommendations for a good, sturdy controller - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 09-12-2012, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
My experience with the Sony controllers has been very disappointing. The original one lasted a couple years before breaking, but the logitech version I bought just doesn't have the same crisp feel, so I ended up getting another Sony. This one has lasted about 6 months. I blamed the original breakage on the fact that someone threw it and, even though it appeared OK afterwards, figured that weakened it and led to it's breaking. But this last one broke in exactly the same place- the lower right, where it gets a lot of pressure- and I know it was never mistreated, cuz I'm the only one who ever used it. They seem very flimsy- esp. when you consider the $55 price tag. I've been continuing to use it even though it's broken, but now the right trigger is sticking.

Can anyone recommend a good, sturdy controller that still retains the feel of the original? I think that Sony may build them flimsy so they can make more money- planned obsolescence. Six months is rather ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

My experience with the Sony controllers has been very disappointing. The original one lasted a couple years before breaking, but the logitech version I bought just doesn't have the same crisp feel, so I ended up getting another Sony. This one has lasted about 6 months. I blamed the original breakage on the fact that someone threw it and, even though it appeared OK afterwards, figured that weakened it and led to it's breaking. But this last one broke in exactly the same place- the lower right, where it gets a lot of pressure- and I know it was never mistreated, cuz I'm the only one who ever used it. They seem very flimsy- esp. when you consider the $55 price tag. I've been continuing to use it even though it's broken, but now the right trigger is sticking.

Can anyone recommend a good, sturdy controller that still retains the feel of the original? I think that Sony may build them flimsy so they can make more money- planned obsolescence. Six months is rather ridiculous.

So one that lasted a couple of years wasn't good enough? You expect logitech to make anything durable? Good golly put the damn thing away and go outside and do something real...

post #3 of 23 Old 09-13-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What exactly are you doing to these things? Mine are over 4 years old and show no sign of being "weaker" than before. Seriously, these are about the sturdiest controllers I've ever had. N64 controllers were easily broken thanks to the forked design and Goldeneye frustrations though smile.gif

Chris Schempp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #4 of 23 Old 09-13-2012, 07:33 AM

Liked: 832
I had the rubber pads wear out on mine before anything "broke". I'm going to have to go with "your doing it wrong" too.

If you're breaking a Sony OEM controller, there's nothing out there that will take a beating like it does...

My only other advice would maybe to get a 360 controller and something like this. Maybe how you;re holding it, in addition to using it, is part of the problem?
post #5 of 23 Old 09-13-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I've spent years trying to find a good third party PS3 controller that had offset analog sticks ala the 360 and have yet to find anything that is satisfactory (problems ranged from large deadzones, mushy buttons and sticks and just an uncomfortable feel in the hands). For all its ergonomic faults the PS3 Dualshock is still the sturdiest and most accurate PS3 controller available.
post #6 of 23 Old 09-13-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
I'm actually impressed at how durable my DS3's have been. I use them almost every day, 2-3 hours at a stretch. They outlasted my first PS3 console even (which I got in 2007). Either you've got bad luck, or you're really hard on your controllers. Hell, I would have figured that the batteries in my DS3 would have been kaput by now. But nope. Still going strong.

And, no, I don't think you'll find anything more durable than Sony's own Dual Shock 3. If you think they're too expensive, find a used one.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #7 of 23 Old 09-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My experience has been similar to that of the others here. I bought my PS3 in 2008 and have been playing it almost daily, and the original controller still feels solid.

(On the other hand, my PS2 controller developed a sticky right trigger after about two years. I don't know if that was just bad luck, or if the DualShock 2 was flimsier than the DualShock 3.)
post #8 of 23 Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

OK- well, I guess I'm just too hard on them. I do get rather vigorous in some of the sports games, esp. racing- which I've noticed is really hard on them- esp. with the brakes and accel buttons both being on the right triggers the way I have it configured, which puts a lot of pressure on that side, where I've had them break- they both cracked on the bottom right, up from where the upper and lower halves of the casing are joined. I must just put too much pressure on that one point. It just seems that 6 months is very quick. I know when I had an x-box, those controllers seemed much sturdier and I never had a problem with them breaking- even though I raced a lot on xbox as well- the buttons gave out (actually the springs on the buttons) before any breakage. Perhaps the suggestion to get an xbox controller and adapter is my best bet. BTW, after only 6 months the spring is going/gone on the L2 trigger and its sticking, which is strange, as that is rarely used in most of the games I play- except for pinball.

Thanks for the input.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

they both cracked on the bottom right, up from where the upper and lower halves of the casing are joined. I must just put too much pressure on that one point.
Hulk, Smash! biggrin.gif

Holy crap, man. I play a lot of driving games using my controller (probably close to 200 hours on GT5 alone), and I've never felt so much as a groan from my controller. I'm impressed by your, uh, commitment to racing!

post #10 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Hulk, Smash! biggrin.gif
Holy crap, man. I play a lot of driving games using my controller (probably close to 200 hours on GT5 alone), and I've never felt so much as a groan from my controller. I'm impressed by your, uh, commitment to racing!

I am an intense individual and when I get into something, I really get into it. I guess I just really grab the brake hard and when I hit that apex, I hammer that throttle. I don't know about you, but I actually work up a sweat when I'm racing. For me, to get that timing just right, I have to hit it hard- and I guess maybe I don't let up. I do a lot of late braking and drifting in my S2000 in GT5 (I only have the prologue) and I have to drive it hard to beat Suzuka on level S (It took me forever to finally win that race- now it's mostly all I race, since it's the most challenging). And I guess I put a lot of body english into it, even though that obviously has no effect on the game.

But that right bottom corner seems to always bear the brunt of my zeal. Both throttle and brake on R triggers, so that spot feels it there. In hockey, the R joystick is for shooting and- more stressfully- checking- so I bang away on the right a lot in that. In pinball, the R joystick shakes the table- and since I've c;eared all the table goals on all the tables in Williams pinball challenge, there's no tilting- so I sometimes shake the hell out of the table.

Regardless of all this, I still don't understand why the 1st controller lasted about 2 yrs, while the replacement only lasted about 6 mos. I don't think I've gotten any more intense... (not even sure if that's possible)
post #11 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

What exactly are you doing to these things? Mine are over 4 years old and show no sign of being "weaker" than before. Seriously, these are about the sturdiest controllers I've ever had. N64 controllers were easily broken thanks to the forked design and Goldeneye frustrations though smile.gif

I have problems with the rubber part of the analog stick wearing off, which drives you crazy after a while and have to buy another one i noticed its only on the older six axis black controllers I have owned.
post #12 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I can definitely appreciate your enthusiasm. Going through controllers on a regular basis might just be the price you pay for having so much fun!

If you're cracking the right side and wearing through the rubber tops of the sticks, then you're definitely putting these things through a lot more wear than most of us mere mortals. I don't think there's a controller built strong enough to withstand your play style. biggrin.gif

post #13 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hmm, perhaps there's a market for hardened, mil-spec game controllers...
post #14 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I blame SSX for the demise of my controllers. I hammer the X button when I'm playing that game, grinding it to oblivion. I try not too, especially after I noticed that the X button wasn't working so well on one of my controllers, but I just can't help it.

Nothing else I have done to those things since purchase of my PS3 and 2 extra controllers in 2007 has done anything to them.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #15 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 12:45 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:

I am an intense individual and when I get into something, I really get into it. I guess I just really grab the brake hard and when I hit that apex, I hammer that throttle. I don't know about you, but I actually work up a sweat when I'm racing. For me, to get that timing just right, I have to hit it hard- and I guess maybe I don't let up. I do a lot of late braking and drifting in my S2000 in GT5 (I only have the prologue) and I have to drive it hard to beat Suzuka on level S (It took me forever to finally win that race- now it's mostly all I race, since it's the most challenging). And I guess I put a lot of body english into it, even though that obviously has no effect on the game.
But that right bottom corner seems to always bear the brunt of my zeal. Both throttle and brake on R triggers, so that spot feels it there. In hockey, the R joystick is for shooting and- more stressfully- checking- so I bang away on the right a lot in that. In pinball, the R joystick shakes the table- and since I've c;eared all the table goals on all the tables in Williams pinball challenge, there's no tilting- so I sometimes shake the hell out of the table.
Regardless of all this, I still don't understand why the 1st controller lasted about 2 yrs, while the replacement only lasted about 6 mos. I don't think I've gotten any more intense... (not even sure if that's possible)

GT5 also was the the breaking point for the rubber on my sticks. redface.gif
post #16 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 08:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I can definitely appreciate your enthusiasm. Going through controllers on a regular basis might just be the price you pay for having so much fun!
If you're cracking the right side and wearing through the rubber tops of the sticks, then you're definitely putting these things through a lot more wear than most of us mere mortals. I don't think there's a controller built strong enough to withstand your play style. biggrin.gif

yeah lots of madden and ncaa wear mine out lol biggrin.gif
post #17 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Hulk, Smash! biggrin.gif

Well, not all things are made equally and sometimes the same model of something doesn't even come out of the same factory. GT5 is the only game I actually use my PS3 for and I think the regular controllers just suck for racing, just totally inappropriate controls for what you're doing when "driving" (and the stick controls I found much worse in any case than the thumb directional thingies). I got a Xlerator stand with a GT Driving Force wheel/pedal set mounted to it...much much better (Logitech, I know....)

post #18 of 23 Old 09-15-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Well, not all things are made equally and sometimes the same model of something doesn't even come out of the same factory. GT5 is the only game I actually use my PS3 for and I think the regular controllers just suck for racing, just totally inappropriate controls for what you're doing when "driving" (and the stick controls I found much worse in any case than the thumb directional thingies). I got a Xlerator stand with a GT Driving Force wheel/pedal set mounted to it...much much better (Logitech, I know....)
Switched to a nice Logitech wheel for a while, but I ended up switching back to a controller. Considering how much time I've put in and how much progress I've made (81% of trophies), I don't feel the need to use anything but a controller for GT5. The only thing that kills me on controller are the Vettel challenges, but I'm guessing those are a real pain with a wheel, too, right?

post #19 of 23 Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Switched to a nice Logitech wheel for a while, but I ended up switching back to a controller. Considering how much time I've put in and how much progress I've made (81% of trophies), I don't feel the need to use anything but a controller for GT5. The only thing that kills me on controller are the Vettel challenges, but I'm guessing those are a real pain with a wheel, too, right?

You overestimate my playing time. I couldn't tell you my percentage of trophies. I have no idea what the Vettel challenge is, maybe next time I play I'll figure it out. Did you use a stand for your wheel with floor pedals affixed? A friend of mine said he had tried the wheel without the stand and thought it sucked but saw my stand and thought that would make a huge difference. Perhaps using the controller for other things helps one get accustomed to it, none of the buttons on the controller are intuitive for me, I just don't play that much. I spend far more time behind a real wheel these days...

post #20 of 23 Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have no idea what the Vettel challenge is, maybe next time I play I'll figure it out.
If you value your sanity, you won't worry about it. biggrin.gif (they're unlocked once you hit A-spec level 30).
Quote:
Did you use a stand for your wheel with floor pedals affixed?
Yeah. I respect the whole "simulation" feel of using a nice wheel. But it's just not practical for me. I use my PS3 for so many other things that having a big ol' contraption in front of my display just didn't make sense. Besides, even though it might feel nicer, I'm better with a controller. GT5 players, though, swear that those Sebastian Vettel challenges are much easier with a wheel (since it's easier to do the delicate-touch steering you need to control that beast of a car).

post #21 of 23 Old 09-16-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I have no idea what the Vettel challenge is, maybe next time I play I'll figure it out.
If you value your sanity, you won't worry about it. biggrin.gif (they're unlocked once you hit A-spec level 30).
Quote:
Did you use a stand for your wheel with floor pedals affixed?
Yeah. I respect the whole "simulation" feel of using a nice wheel. But it's just not practical for me. I use my PS3 for so many other things that having a big ol' contraption in front of my display just didn't make sense. Besides, even though it might feel nicer, I'm better with a controller. GT5 players, though, swear that those Sebastian Vettel challenges are much easier with a wheel (since it's easier to do the delicate-touch steering you need to control that beast of a car).

My contraption doesn't reside in front of the display, it stands nicely in a closet/corner until ready to flop down into the operating position in my lap on the couch. smile.gif I'll never use the standard controller for a driving game again in any case, and doubtfully for much of anything since most other games don't interest me.

PS Oh, and back on topic for a sec, seems to me the standard PS controller is quite well made, certainly seems better than my old xbox's.

post #22 of 23 Old 09-17-2012, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My PS3 controllers never last more than a 2 years at most, even that....

There are games I play you have to forcefully shake the left analog stick to get enemies off you like getting the majinis from grabbing you in Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City. That breaks the left analog stick eventually if done with too much force.
Even worse with beat em up type games where you are button mashing all the time such as Tekken 6 or Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat.

My only suggestions are use a silicon rubber skin on the sony controllers which in my experience makes them last longer ss gives them much better grip.

For beat em up games there are special arcade style pads you can buy but cost as much as £100 or more for the Namco version. But have user replaceable buttons and the analog stick is made of metal not plastic. They are pretty hard to use though, unless your used to the classic arcade style controls for beat em up games. And the price is also high.
post #23 of 23 Old 09-17-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItchyTasty42 View Post

For beat em up games there are special arcade style pads you can buy but cost as much as £100 or more for the Namco version. But have user replaceable buttons and the analog stick is made of metal not plastic. They are pretty hard to use though, unless your used to the classic arcade style controls for beat em up games. And the price is also high.
You can actually get arcade sticks relatively cheap (~$50US or less). About the same price as a standard controller. Of course, you can spend a hell of a lot more if you like ($300+). On many cheap ones, you can still swap out the buttons and stick for under $20. I even modded a cheap 360 one with a PS3/PC PCB (so I can use it on everything) for just another $40.

The only real downside to arcade sticks is having to slug them around. Mine have all taken a beating over the years, but the nice thing about arcade sticks is that when/if they break, they're incredibly easy (and cheap) to fix on your own. And if you feel comfortable with a soldering iron, there's no reason these couldn't follow you into the next couple of console generations.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page