Vertical green line, right side of 4:3 content - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am sure at some point I banished this problem. But I can't seem to get rid of it. Any and all 4:3 content, on both my PS3s, connected to 2 different Tvs, has a bright green bar along the right edge of the video. Not the screen, the edge of the video. What simple setting have I missed? I think I have tried all combinations, but I can't be the only one who sees this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What cables are you using?

Sounds very likely to be a faulty cable/s, like one with broken shielding causing interference.

Also you say video, you mean dvd or blu-ray? As some types are dvd or blu-ray films ONLY suitable for wide screen tvs only and vice versa.
Or if you mean the display in general with everything including games, and as you tried it on 2 consoles and 2 tvs, it's very likely to be faulty cables.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItchyTasty42 View Post

What cables are you using?
Sounds very likely to be a faulty cable/s, like one with broken shielding causing interference.
Also you say video, you mean dvd or blu-ray? As some types are dvd or blu-ray films ONLY suitable for wide screen tvs only and vice versa.
Or if you mean the display in general with everything including games, and as you tried it on 2 consoles and 2 tvs, it's very likely to be faulty cables.

Different cables, different PS3, different Tvs. HDMI for both. All video, be it DVD or locally stored, streamed, any 4:3 content. Any wide screen content is fine.

DSCN0288.JPG 138k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0288.JPG (138.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-19-2012, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If this content is coming from the PS3 and sent over HDMI then I fail to see how this could be cable related.

It sounds like the line is either an artifact of the original video encoding process, something amiss in the video decoder on the PS3 (or transcoder if you are using a remote video server) or was in the original source since that area would have been part of the overscan area and so would not show up on CRTs or other TVs with overscan enabled.

Cheers
Old 09-19-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathindustrial View Post

If this content is coming from the PS3 and sent over HDMI then I fail to see how this could be cable related.
It sounds like the line is either an artifact of the original video encoding process, something amiss in the video decoder on the PS3 (or transcoder if you are using a remote video server) or was in the original source since that area would have been part of the overscan area and so would not show up on CRTs or other TVs with overscan enabled.
Cheers

Thanks, death. Okay, so, some are transcoded using PS3 Media Server, some are DVD rips to mp4, and some are factory DVDs. Same line in all. On 2 different PS3s, 2 different TVs. Obviously, I am gonna have to test some more. I was thinking along the lines of overscan, but I admit I have no idea how to change that on either TV. Both are set for Native currently.

On an off topic note, why does the pic not display here, only show as an attachment to dl?