Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/26/mass-effect-trilogy/

Since Mass Effect was published by MS, I'm a bit surprised by this news. It's great that PS3-only gamers will be able to play the entire trilogy. I might buy it again, because my 360 scratched this disc (bumped it) and it won't install anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I played the 360 game earlier this year. It's pretty bad. If the PS3 version fixes the terrible performance, inventory, and cover system, it'd be passable... but the game still would have the dumb Mako and boring sidequests.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Since ME1 will also get a standalone digital release, as huge of an ME fan I am, I can only see myself getting it if they patch current versions of ME2 so I can import the ME1 save file--and then have all micro-decisions be reflected across ME2 and ME3. (I hope they were smart enough to already include all the programing for that when those games were first released for the PS3.) Otherwise, it's pretty worthless as a standalone as far as I'm concerned, and I won't buy the entire trilogy just for one (dated) game.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:31 AM

Liked: 14
Yeah, a singular release would be the wisest choice, although packaging the trilogy is pretty cool.

There are quite a few things you miss by not being able to play ME 1 first. Nothing too major, but there are a few cameos and nods to the first game in ME 2, and "unexplained" ones in ME 3 that mean more if you've went through the whole series.

I have never failed. I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I see a crummy port ala Orange Box coming the PS3's way. I'd wait for reviews before I picked this one up just to be safe. EA + port + PS3 = Not good

500 gigs FTW.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

I see a crummy port ala Orange Box coming the PS3's way. I'd wait for reviews before I picked this one up just to be safe. EA + port + PS3 = Not good

Mass Effect 2 turned out quite nicely, though I have yet to hear official confirmation that ME1 will get a similar treatment.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

I played the 360 game earlier this year. It's pretty bad. If the PS3 version fixes the terrible performance, inventory, and cover system, it'd be passable... but the game still would have the dumb Mako and boring sidequests.

The biggest performance complain on ME1 is the "elevator" waiting. The game is loading data in the background while you wait in the elevator. Loading from hard drive should help reduce the performance but by how much?

Since ME1 is the last release for PS3 version, I'm really curious if Bioware is going to spend a lot of efforts in optimizing the game that probably only fans will buy. ME1 is a RPG game and hard to be played with "gun shooter" style like ME2/3. Your weapons overheat very quickly if you keep shooting like a shooter.

EA has confirmed that the Mass Effect Trilogy does not include any of the DLCs for X360. Same old discs from the individual release version will be recycled in the Trilogy version. It's obvious the reason Mass Effect Trilogy is delayed on PS3. The issue is ME2 on PS3 originally gets all the DLC except the final DLC. If PS3 Mass Effect Trilogy still get the same DLCs, then PS3 version becomes a great deal compared to the other versions. When you market a new "version" for multi platforms, you have to keep the included contents/DLCs very close to all versions or it causes the value to become different on each platform. I know PS3 fanboys don't care but EA marketing has to care.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

The biggest performance complain on ME1 is the "elevator" waiting. The game is loading data in the background while you wait in the elevator. Loading from hard drive should help reduce the performance but by how much?

That's actually the least of the problems - I don't know why it became such a big deal. The load times are long, but they are just as long if not longer in ME2, except in ME2 you get to see spaceship schematics instead of hearing story-related dialogue.

The game's framerate is very bad, control is not responsive, and it tears like crazy. These are all things I do hope the PS3 version resolves.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

Since Mass Effect was published by MS, I'm a bit surprised by this news.
Quite a few MS published games have gone multiplatform with different publishers (especially games that were published by MS and released on XBLA). All depends on the original publishing deal. I assume BioWare has enough financial muscle to have had some freedom.
Quote:

That's actually the least of the problems - I don't know why it became such a big deal. The load times are long, but they are just as long if not longer in ME2, except in ME2 you get to see spaceship schematics instead of hearing story-related dialogue.
The game's framerate is very bad, control is not responsive, and it tears like crazy. These are all things I do hope the PS3 version resolves.
I wouldn't expect any fixes. ME1 wasn't great at release, and it's only gotten worse with age. There's simply too much to fix. ME2 was a distinct improvement, but it's still hampered by BioWare's clunky design principles and aging tech. They were one of the first big PC devs to start tailoring design to consoles. The problem is that once they found a formula that worked (in KOTOR), they haven't tried anything new.

There's not much reason to go back and play ME1 at this point unless you're someone who jumped in at ME2 and you really want to see how the series began. Repackaging the trilogy makes much more sense for people who have yet to play the series.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Old 10-01-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

What aging tech? The game uses the Unreal engine.

ME1 PS3 should at least have a consistent framerate and less/no tearing, simply due to the fact that the Unreal engine is in better shape and Bioware has more experience with it. I doubt there will be interface revisions, which is a disappointment because ME1's interface is amazingly bad.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What aging tech? The game uses the Unreal engine.
Irony?
Quote:
ME1 PS3 should at least have a consistent framerate and less/no tearing, simply due to the fact that the Unreal engine is in better shape and Bioware has more experience with it. I doubt there will be interface revisions, which is a disappointment because ME1's interface is amazingly bad.
You're assuming BioWare is doing the port. Also, Unreal has consistently had more issues on PS3 than on 360/PC, especially in its earlier incarnations.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you played an Unreal engine game or Mass Effect lately?

Even the weakest-performing Unreal engine PS3 game these days performs far better than Mass Effect 1 on 360, and looks better while doing it.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

EA has confirmed that the Mass Effect Trilogy does not include any of the DLCs for X360. Same old discs from the individual release version will be recycled in the Trilogy version. It's obvious the reason Mass Effect Trilogy is delayed on PS3. The issue is ME2 on PS3 originally gets all the DLC except the final DLC. If PS3 Mass Effect Trilogy still get the same DLCs, then PS3 version becomes a great deal compared to the other versions. When you market a new "version" for multi platforms, you have to keep the included contents/DLCs very close to all versions or it causes the value to become different on each platform. I know PS3 fanboys don't care but EA marketing has to care.

It actually sounds like some DLC for ME1 and ME2 will be included on 360 and PC, though it's not clear that ME1 DLC for 360 will be included as a free download, and I would hope the PS3 will at least get what the PC version gets, though that's still TBA according to Bioware. Here are the relevant deets:
Quote:
What DLC is included in the Mass Effect Trilogy?

On PC, Mass Effect will include Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station on disk. For Mass Effect 2, Cerberus Network will be included which features Zaeed – The Price of Revenge, The Firewalker Pack, Cerberus Assault Gear, Arc Projector heavy weapon, and Normandy Crash site mission. For Mass Effect 3, Online Pass will be included granting players access to co-op multiplayer.
On Xbox 360, Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station are not included with Mass Effect, however they are available as stand-alone downloads through Xbox LIVE. For Mass Effect 2, Cerberus Network will be included and Online Pass will be included for Mass Effect 3.
Information on PlayStation 3 DLC will be available soon.

Will the original Mass Effect be available as a standalone game on PlayStation 3?

Yes, the original Mass Effect will be available as a standalone digital title through the PlayStation Network for $14.99. It will release the same day as the Mass Effect Trilogy on PlayStation 3.

Is the Mass Effect Trilogy compatible with other versions of Mass Effect?

Yes, the Mass Effect Trilogy is compatible with other versions of Mass Effect. This means you can use saves from across the original Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3 titles with the Trilogy. Mass Effect 3 multiplayer is also compatible across different versions.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you played an Unreal engine game or Mass Effect lately?
Even the weakest-performing Unreal engine PS3 game these days performs far better than Mass Effect 1 on 360, and looks better while doing it.

The question with ME1 for PS3 is the development and testing efforts. ME1 for PS3 is never planned as full retail release like a new game. With limited amount of PS3 gamers that are expected to play ME1, I can't see Bioware will put a lot of efforts into ME1 to make it the best they can especially the amount they charge ME1 over PSN for $15 or "1/3" the game on ME Trilogy.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The question with ME1 for PS3 is the development and testing efforts. ME1 for PS3 is never planned as full retail release like a new game. With limited amount of PS3 gamers that are expected to play ME1, I can't see Bioware will put a lot of efforts into ME1 to make it the best they can especially the amount they charge ME1 over PSN for $15 or "1/3" the game on ME Trilogy.

It would have been difficult for them to charge much more than $15 for ME1 given the game's age and the fact that it's easily obtainable on other platforms for <$10. But the fact that it will be only $15 as a standalone download gives me less hope that Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle will be included free as it is on the PC. Hopefully, it will be priced as low as $5 for each one as I can't see them charging $20 for both ($10/ea)--more than the price of the full game.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

It would have been difficult for them to charge much more than $15 for ME1 given the game's age and the fact that it's easily obtainable on other platforms for <$10. But the fact that it will be only $15 as a standalone download gives me less hope that Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle will be included free as it is on the PC. Hopefully, it will be priced as low as $5 for each one as I can't see them charging $20 for both ($10/ea)--more than the price of the full game.

I agree that it will be difficult for them to charge more than $15 for ME1. But it still takes lot of development and time to get ME1 to PS3 that never existed. I hope Bioware didn't use some kind of emulator on PS3 to run ME1. Such strategy was still used on PS3 for games such as Bayonetta. We'll see when ME1 for PS3 comes out and see how well it runs or buggy.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
ME1 may be clunky but I still really enjoyed it.

psn: markcusd
X1: MarkcusD
Old 10-03-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

Nice FUD. ME runs on the established UE3 engine (there are two other ME games on the PS3!), it would not really be a port at all. BTW an outsource EA studio doing Orange Box is somehow related to Bioware how?

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
Old 10-04-2012, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

BTW an outsource EA studio doing Orange Box is somehow related to Bioware how?
EA acquired BioWare. It's doubtful that BioWare will do the port themselves. So EA has likely outsourced the PS3 port to some other studio, similar to what happened with the PS3 version of the Orange Box. Hence the comparison.

Also, the Unreal Engine has been pretty massively overhauled since the first Mass Effect, even though it is still technically "UE3." It's not like the studio doing the port job is going to dig that deeply into the original code and upgrade everything using the capabilities of the revised tools/engine. In terms of cost-to-profit ratio, it's simply not worth it for EA to bother. It'll be a quick and dirty port job with a few minor bits of content tossed in to make it worthwhile for gamers.

Though I'd love to hear otherwise.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I read from a site (forgot which one) saying ME1 on PS3 has better loading time. It should by now since it's installed on the HDD (unknown if boxed version can be played off Blu-ray disc). I remember playing X360 version installed on the hard drive which improved the loading time. Still like to see if PS3 version has huge improvement in loading time like Shepard's team can step into the elevator and out almost immediately.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:37 AM

Liked: 21
Having never played any of the ME series, and having no idea what the game is about, would it be worth picking up? I do enjoy RPGs.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It's one of my favorite series and is a combination of RPG and TPS. The combat in the first game is pretty difficult at first, until you level up your skills (DO NOT try to snipe). The first time I played it, I actually quit in frustration and didn't try again until several weeks later. Vortex3D mentioned that you can't play ME1 like a shooter, because your guns overheat too quickly -- but later in the game (or new game+), you can upgrade your weapons so that they never overheat. As the series goes, the combat is refined at the expense of certain RPG elements (eg. you can't customize/upgrade weapons and armor to the same extent as ME1). ME2 is my favorite, but ME1 (despite its poor frame rate and clunky cover system) is special because it introduces you to the Mass Effect world. If you are a sci-fi buff, you will love this series (the storytelling is absolutely superb). It'd be awesome to play all 3 games consecutively for the first time, without even having to change the disc (I hope they go BD-50).

It will be interesting to see how the series continues, with both Bioware co-founders having retired recently.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcraig21 View Post

Having never played any of the ME series, and having no idea what the game is about, would it be worth picking up? I do enjoy RPGs.
Sci-fi RPG with the structure of BioWare's own KOTOR and Jade Empire. If that sounds cool, go for it. A lot of folks really love the series.

As for myself, I'm a big RPG fan, but I find the Mass Effect series only mildly entertaining. It feels like an RPG for people who don't like RPGs. Very linear with linear branches, very "boxy" environments, game-y dialogue trees, and an uninteresting plot. However, the music in the first game is fantastic and the backstory (in the codex entries) is outstanding. I've played through ME1 and ME2, but am in no rush to get to ME3. I've had it sitting untouched on a shelf for weeks. I only feel the need to play it just to finish out the trilogy. Take that for what it's worth.