is this correct? if i buy a full game from the psn online store it cost 60 dollars. but could i then share the game on 2 x ps3 and still play online on both consoles at same time? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was wondering if this is true. if you buy a game on the psn store for full price ( 60 dollars ) can you then share that game on 2 different ps3 consoles?

in other words. the game would cost then actually 30 dollars , since i can share that game on 2 consoles. however i was wondering how online work?

could we still play the game both online.

i think for fifa this is a problem, but maybe for other games like one piece, resident evil 6 which are also online available it would be a good thing for me.

this way i only need to buy 1 game instead of 2 games if i want to play online with my brother.

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Yes, that is how it works. You can play online locally against each other, but the two systems have to be signed on with two different IDs.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

i was wondering if this is true. if you buy a game on the psn store for full price ( 60 dollars ) can you then share that game on 2 different ps3 consoles?
in other words. the game would cost then actually 30 dollars , since i can share that game on 2 consoles. however i was wondering how online work?
could we still play the game both online.
i think for fifa this is a problem, but maybe for other games like one piece, resident evil 6 which are also online available it would be a good thing for me.
this way i only need to buy 1 game instead of 2 games if i want to play online with my brother.
thanks in advance

That was more true in the past when Sony didn't mind about game "sharing" and gave you downloads on 5 machines. Now, Sony doesn't like you sharing your games and reduced the total downloads to 2 machines only.

Another feature I don't buy download version for retail games that cost the same are:
1. I cannot resell the game once I'm done.
2. I have to pay for the hard drive space to store the game.
3. If I swap my games among friends, I can't really do it with download version even it allows download to 2 machines.
4. I can't even give it away for free unless I want to give away my account.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I have found it depends on the game. Example, we would never buy the digital version of Assassin's Creed games, because once we finish them, we sell them. But games like Burnout Paradise, it's fun to get the digital versions because we can play head-to-head, and the replay value is high.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

That was more true in the past when Sony didn't mind about game "sharing" and gave you downloads on 5 machines. Now, Sony doesn't like you sharing your games and reduced the total downloads to 2 machines only.
Now that they're pushing the $60+ downloads, I understand why they had to do this. Plus, publishers were starting to do nasty things to circumvent Sony's generous policy (Capcom started instituting an "always on" DRM solution for its downloadable titles).

I think very soon Sony and MS are going to have to find a compromise between consumers, retailers, and publishers. I don't think we'll be able to sell our digital games any time soon, but I do think the prices will have to come down. Since some of the intrinsic value of a retail game is in its ability to be resold, that should disappear for digital games. And in order to keep retailers happy, publishers will have to incentivize physical copies of games (bonuses, pack-ins, etc). I don't think "convenience" is a big enough of a value to justify a $60 download that can't be shared or resold.

For me, I have no problem waiting for retail prices to drop before shelling out for a game. But with digital, those prices tend not to drop as fast. It could be a real problem for the industry unless Sony/MS start following Steam's lead with big sales and promotions. If they don't, they're going to continue bleeding market share to PC and mobile.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #6 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i like this feauture. because this saves me 30 dollars for a new game.

me and my brother always like to play games with each other in co op like one peice or resident evil 6, borderlands 2.

if i would buy it on disc i have to buy 2 copies. in the shop cheapest i could buy a new game on disc is 40 dollars. so this way i save 20 dollars for a brand new game. and save time + money for travel and benzine.

ofcourse for single player only games. then retail disc is still cheaper. since i first finish the game then i give it to my brother like skryim for example.

so all in all i like this idea even if i can share it only with 2 it is enough for me.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

i like this feauture. because this saves me 30 dollars for a new game.
me and my brother always like to play games with each other in co op like one peice or resident evil 6, borderlands 2.
if i would buy it on disc i have to buy 2 copies. in the shop cheapest i could buy a new game on disc is 40 dollars. so this way i save 20 dollars for a brand new game. and save time + money for travel and benzine.
ofcourse for single player only games. then retail disc is still cheaper. since i first finish the game then i give it to my brother like skryim for example.
so all in all i like this idea even if i can share it only with 2 it is enough for me.

Pretty sure if the game has any "online pass" thing....you wont be playing online from 2 different consoles.

Join the AVS Folding @ Home team!! Team #55280

PSN ID= moepoker
XBL ID= moepoker
post #8 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

why would the online pass be a problem?

online passes on a normal retail disc i can share as well on 2 consoles. so i am sure it is possible for full games too.
basicly the same rules apply for psn games apply for full games if you read the terms of agreements.

but that saad i want to be sure, that is why i created this topic.

because i want to buy one piece pirate warriors to start this and then continue with other games as well.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by moepoker View Post

Pretty sure if the game has any "online pass" thing....you wont be playing online from 2 different consoles.

Once it's activated for an account, it's activated. The servers won't know that two accounts used the same online pass. An online pass is an online pass.

500 gigs FTW.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page