Dishonored: Aweeee, look, Metal Gear and Bioshock had a baby! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Wondering if anyone else out there is giving this one a run through?

Not all to far into the game I have to say I'mm digging it quite a bit already. Always been a Metal Gear/stealth based game junkie and Bioshock can do no wrong in my book, and this title seems to deliver a healthy does of the "good" of each of those titles.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/08/dishonored-review

Quote:

via IGN:

THE VERDICT

It's a shame that Dishonored's story isn't greater than the sum of its decidedly memorable parts, but its gameplay absolutely is. Each mission is built as an elaborate network of choices for players to explore, and the same can be said for Corvo himself. Each player's selection of powers, perks and other upgrades will inform how they see and interact with this world, and no two play-throughs will be exactly the same. Dishonored is a game you'll talk with your friends about, and that you'll want to play multiple times. In this game there are always other paths to be taken and other challenges to conquer, and that's a refreshing thing indeed.

PSN: futurecode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm still busy with Borderlands 2, but I'm really looking forward to Dishonored.
post #3 of 21 Old 10-12-2012, 05:57 AM

Liked: 16
I got it from gamefly and so far impressed. I recommend to everyone to at least rent it.

Husband, father, gamer (PSN: F1SH_KC), musician and tech nerd.
post #4 of 21 Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
This is a great game. If you liked going for no kills/no alarms in Deus Ex...this is even more challenging. I'm actually combining my no kills, no alerts, and no upgrades into one playthrough. It's tough but fun.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #5 of 21 Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
really liked it, good story. Could of been better but sufficient.
I don't game all that much (casual) & enjoy it. I should have honed the stealth part more...watching a couple youtube videos really demonstrated how the game should be played versus how I played
post #6 of 21 Old 10-18-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 84
This is on my list too. SO many good games out, (and coming out), it's tough to keep up!

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #7 of 21 Old 10-18-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
My current backlog is making it easy to wait for a price drop, though this game is pretty high on my list.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Rented it last night from a local red box and after playing a total of 8 hours in a day and a half I really liked the game.

I'll defitnely gets this when it goes on sale during black Friday next month.

I'm still busy playing Sleeping Dogs.
post #9 of 21 Old 10-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Boring generic typical Hollywood story (oh yes, the standard here have a drink to celebrate oops plot device), ugly 2007 graphics, short chopped up levels, and meaningless gameplay choices. Doom 3 BFG is far more entertaining. Mystery what people see in it. The stealth is all broken too, the AI is useless.
post #10 of 21 Old 10-20-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

Boring generic typical Hollywood story (oh yes, the standard here have a drink to celebrate oops plot device), ugly 2007 graphics, short chopped up levels, and meaningless gameplay choices. Doom 3 BFG is far more entertaining. Mystery what people see in it. The stealth is all broken too, the AI is useless.

Wait, Doom 3 has a story? Dishonored's story, even if cliche, is leaps and bounds ahead of Doom's story line. And I have no problem with the graphics. The art style of Dishonored doesn't go for realism.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #11 of 21 Old 10-20-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

A bit harsh. I think it's great. The stealth is not broken and the AI seems pretty with it to me.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #12 of 21 Old 10-20-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

This is on my list too. SO many good games out, (and coming out), it's tough to keep up!

Yeah it is. This is the first year I can remember where I'm skipping games just because there are too many others I want to get instead. If it weren't for Hitman and AC 3, I would have bought this for sure.

500 gigs FTW.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-20-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

What game were you playing? It certainly wasn't Dishonored. The levels were m-a-s-s-i-v-e, taking over an hour each to complete (unless you just hacked, slashed and ran your way thru them) and the graphics were outstanding and detailed (the art style is a matter of taste but I thought it fit perfectly given that it was a decaying world on the verge of collapse). Stealth most definitely was not broken as I was able to move about undetected and even unlock a few achievements for not being seen and not killing. I definitely had to replay some areas to get them right but the game's save anywhere feature made that requirement more than manageable. How you play the game really impacts your experience and a game like Dishonored works best when you take your time, take in the environments and lose yourself in the story which, while hardly original, was still engaging to me.
post #14 of 21 Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

How you play the game really impacts your experience and a game like Dishonored works best when you take your time, take in the environments and lose yourself in the story which, while hardly original, was still engaging to me.

No, no, no - that's asking too much of today's microwave-attention-span audiences of today.

Sigh...

Chairman7w.png

post #15 of 21 Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
I agree with Tiddles on the graphics. I thought they looked horrible, but maybe I just missed something. I've seen way better graphics out of multiplatform games over the years.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #16 of 21 Old 10-22-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I agree with Tiddles on the graphics. I thought they looked horrible, but maybe I just missed something. I've seen way better graphics out of multiplatform games over the years.

Best graphics ever? - No, not even close. I'll give ya that.

Horrible? 2007 era graphics? - I don't think so. Sure, in a perfect world, every new game would have the very best graphics and sound, but that's not reality. It's a pretty high bar.

I respect your opinion though, everybody has their own tastes. (and I'm notoriously easy to please) Having grew up in the era of pong (I kid you not), it doesn't bother me when every game doesn't look like Uncharted, or MGS4. I tend to give a lot of slack.

8.pngPSN Gamercards

post #17 of 21 Old 03-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
This was a terrific game -- I got the platinum for it -- and now there's a new story-based DLC coming out on April 16th:
Quote:
The Knife of Dunwall: After assassinating the Empress, and forever changing the fate of Dunwall, you embark on a search for redemption. The Outsider reveals the key to your atonement, but who-or what-is Delilah? Accompanied by theWhalers, your loyal bandof mercenary assassins, your search will take you through never-before-seen districts of Dunwall as you face off against new and terrible foes. Employ a unique arsenal that enhances Dishonored's dynamic combat, mobility and stealth systems. In the struggle to hang onto the last shred of your humanity, the choices you make will ultimately determine your fate.
New Powers, Weapons and Gadgets: The mark of the Outsider empowers you with unique supernatural abilities. Call upon the Whalers to assist in combat with 'Summon Assassin', track down hidden Runes and Bone Charms with 'Void Gaze' and learn to use new variations to powers, including 'Blink'.To aid in your dangerous exploits your customized arsenal of weapons and gadgets will include Chokedust to daze your enemies, whale oil powered Stun Mines to shock your targets, and a concealed Wristbow to launch sleep darts and explosive bolts.
Explore More of Dunwall: Make your way through the Legal District and infiltrate the Rothwild Slaughterhouse, a steaming factory filled with colossal whale carcasses and their hulking butchers.Revisit the decaying Flooded District, the location of Daud's hidden base, first seen in the original game. Return to the scenes of key events in Dishonored with a new perspective, including the fateful moment that sets off Corvo's journey.
Choose Your Path: On your search for answers, approach each mission with your own style. Your redemption - or your turn towards darkness- depends on your skills and the decisions you make.Discover the mystery behind Delilah in this stand-alone chapter, and then conclude Daud's story in the upcoming final add-on, The Brigmore Witches.

Earlier I had noticed that the trophy list had been updated to reflect a DLC called "The Other Side of the Coin"; presumably this is it under a different name.
post #18 of 21 Old 08-07-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Initially I thought the graphics were wretched but the cartoony look kind of grew on me. Mission 1 had me all in on this then I hit mission 2 and ended up right back where mission one was. How repetitious does this get? May just send it back early and be done if its the same levels over and over.
post #19 of 21 Old 11-08-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I picked up the GOTY version of this game a few weeks ago and am enjoying it immensely. As noted in posts above, the story isn't terribly original, but early on in my second playthrough I'm already hearing different reactions from NPCs based on the different choices I'm making in this run.

I'm also still discovering new areas I wasn't aware of in my first run. Like Deus Ex, there are numerous paths to each mission target, and like Hitman Absolution, a lot of different ways to "eliminate" him or her. I'm also seeing a lot of elements similar to Bioshock and Assassin's Creed games, without it seeming derivative of any of them. It's a unique, fully fleshed out world if you take the time to talk to everyone and read the various letters, book pages, and other documents lying about. Whereas only Bioshock's ending changed depending on certain choices made in the game, Dishonored's environment subtly and gradually changes, along with NPCs' reactions and behaviors, so each playthrough is not an entirely linear experience.

I know a lot of people around here are looking for ways to trim their backlog at this point rather than add to it, but I highly recommend this GOTY package that includes all the playable DLC along with the various pre-order bonus upgrades ("bone charm" ability enhancements that aren't available in the vanilla version). I know it's listed in the Gamestop BF ad for $25.

You might be surprised to see how many awards this game won.
post #20 of 21 Old 11-08-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 542
I've been waiting to pick up the GOTY version. I rented it back in the day and had a lot of fun.
post #21 of 21 Old 11-09-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

I've been waiting to pick up the GOTY version. I rented it back in the day and had a lot of fun.

If you do pick it up, be sure to visit the servants' bathroom in the Hound Pits Pub after the Sokolov mission for a nice little surprise. wink.gif
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page