DOOM 3 BFG Edition - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Picked this up last week on disc. I played the hell out of 1 and 2 back in the day, never played 3 before now. Wanted to give some impressions and a search turned up nothing.

This package is well made, the games looking and sounding like you remember. All three games have their online modes present, most surprising being online co-op. The co-op is is the big nostalgia trip for me: set to friendly fire ON and go to town blasting your buddies. Finding creative ways to grief each other in the campaign was more fun than deathmatch by a mile. Brings back the good times!

Graphics wise I wasn't expecting much from 1 & 2, but it's obvious that id made the effort in porting these to a modern console using HDMI. They still look old, but it's a good old. DOOM 1 and 2 have never looked as nice as they do on a 55" screen in this collection.

DOOM 3 has really impressed me so far. The game looks great even though you can see its age in the character models and animations. The interactive computer screens on doors and objectives must have really impressed 8 years ago, because they are still pretty slick today. The rest of the graphics look great along with great atmospheric lighting. The most impressive thing has to be the frame rate. Did I mention the frame rate? This is the smoothest running game I've ever played on a PS3, and that includes the Ratchet and Clank Future entries. id says it runs at 30fps locked, but it feels like 60, with nary a stutter or tear. I'm enjoying this one quite a bit.

Anyone sitting on the fence can buy this game with confidence. It satisfies the hunger for nostalgia while also providing a game that holds up pretty well today. Upcoming holiday sales will really make this combo shine, so keep an eye out.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Agree with everything you said. I played the hell out of the PS1 versions of 1 and 2 but I never played 3 before now and am really enjoying it so far.

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
Old 11-04-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have to say I have had opposite experience with D3, but that is with only very brief exposure to the beginning of the game. What struck me immediately is how the graphics & animation seem really dated and simplistic. Then it dawned on me...this isn't necessarily a freshly released game for the PS3, rather a port of a game that came out a long time ago on x360 (maybe even the original Xbox?)...too long for me to remember. I do vaguely recall how the Xbox fans were raving about the awesomeness of the graphics and how revolutionary it was (for the time). Even with that context, I'm still having trouble reconciling that this is what they were going gonzo about?...and trumpeting how it puts the Xbox above all others? I guess time can truly change the perspective on things, eh? smile.gif

The 1st person character motion seems about as natural as some VG hero that walked in from the early 2000's. Maybe that is the way it is supposed to be in these kinds of games...I dunno. Maybe it is that Death Match controls feel back when Unreal and Quake were really big?

I've wanted to play more since then, but I've been kinda sick lately.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!