Audioquest Replacement Power Cord for PS3 - Any improvement? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 11-07-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
AVIFOKBYWIFE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

So I know there is a lot of debate about these premium power cords, HDMI cords and if they really do anything at all for performance, I get it. My question is for those who have decided to give it a try anyways (I have all Audioquest forest HDMI) so in those individuals opinion does a premium power cord replacement like the ones Audioquest produce (NRG X2) really make a significant difference (or any) for the PS3?

I ask this because I run my entire blu ray library here, I stream Vudu and of course I game (who does not want 7.1 gaming, premium sound). I want the best that I can have for my limited system capacity and if i can plop down $70 bones for this improvement (or perhaps not) I say its worth it.

Any comments from the actual folks you have tired this?

Thanks!
AVIFOKBYWIFE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 11-10-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
AVIFOKBYWIFE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Forum,

I have given these a try and have not seen a real big difference. I did notice a slight difference in the quality of 3D in avatar but that might have just been me. I am going to keep them awhile to see if there is any performance increase, better sounding gaming, better blu ray sound or image, etc... but initially it seems like these cables are not rocking my world like i hoped they would.
AVIFOKBYWIFE is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 11-10-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
It's a power cable, what sort of benefits were you expecting? I'm unfamiliar with them but have to think they're meant as replacement options rather than some sort of an upgrade.
Leo_Ames is offline  
post #4 of 22 Old 11-10-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blklightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM MONOPRICE.COM


/THREAD


Stop throwing your money away, OP. All those upgraded cables are bulls***.

500 gigs FTW.
blklightning is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 11-10-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIFOKBYWIFE View Post

Hi,

So I know there is a lot of debate about these premium power cords, HDMI cords and if they really do anything at all for performance, I get it. My question is for those who have decided to give it a try anyways (I have all Audioquest forest HDMI) so in those individuals opinion does a premium power cord replacement like the ones Audioquest produce (NRG X2) really make a significant difference (or any) for the PS3?

I ask this because I run my entire blu ray library here, I stream Vudu and of course I game (who does not want 7.1 gaming, premium sound). I want the best that I can have for my limited system capacity and if i can plop down $70 bones for this improvement (or perhaps not) I say its worth it.

Any comments from the actual folks you have tired this?

Thanks!

there's really no "debate"... debates imply that both sides of discussion have evidence...

you wasted money on the hdmi cables too...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 11-11-2012, 01:55 AM
 
darklordjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Let's play pretend for a minute and say that using a different magic piece of copper for the 6 feet from the wall to your PS3 causes a grand improvement in power delivery to your PS3. Of course you have to ignore the couple miles of cable from your local power station, the bog-standard 50 foot run of 120v AC from your pole on the street to your house, and the terrible wiring in your walls, but hey, we're playing pretend.

Let's pretend that the 120v 60hz AC coming in to your PS3 is now the most pure waveform that has ever been electrically produced. It also rides at a 100% perfect 120v with no variation and at a perfect 60hz, never wavering. Great. The most perfect waveform to ever exist hits your PS3's power supply and the power supply proceeds to utterly destroy it. It converts it to DC. It converts to 5v and 12v. It runs through some capacitors to get a nice smooth wave at these low DC voltages. By the time any electricity hits any of the non-PSU circuitry of the PS3, the most perfect waveform in existance and the dirtiest 95-135v variable chunk of AC that you have ever seen look exactly the same in terms of DC being delivered. That's the power supply's job.

If you think you see any improvement using a "premium" power cable on any modern piece of equipment, it is merely because humans have some seriously glaring holes in our perception and memory subsystems. There is no difference. Empirical evidence proves this time and time again.

TLDR: Jesus Christ stop wasting your money on pointless cables. Any extra $70 you would spend on a "premium" cable is almost always better spent on buying a better piece of gear in the first place, then using a $3 cable with it. The only exceptions that come to mind are in cases of extreme lengths, at which point yeah, you need some physically thicker wire to combat some electrical properties. Then you are looking for a cable that is competently built, not "premium".
malvado78 likes this.
darklordjames is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TornadoTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Perfect reply, Darklord.
TornadoTJ is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 AM
 
darklordjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
It really is, isn't it? wink.gif
darklordjames is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 02-16-2014, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ryan Peddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Whitby, ON
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
While I don't think the PS3 will benefit from an improved power cable, I do think higher powered amplifiers, subwoofers, and projectors can benefit.

And with these devices you have to weigh out the return on you investment. You will never see an improvement of double. But when a customer of mine wants to get every last bit of quality out of their system WITHOUT changing gear, things like speakerwire, interconnects, power cables, ROOM TREATMENTS, isopads for sub's and speakers etc can give you that little extra.

This topic is like atheism vs spirituality, and both sides are whack. The audio atheist wants to beat the system and tell the whole world that they did a scientific double blind test and it proves that the pre-opinion was right. Placebo effect working in a different way.

The audio spiritualist will tell you that you a dumb and not loved if you don't have better cables, wire, and that there is a heaven of audio quality awaiting you on the other side. There is not. These people are either bad salesman, or audio snobs.

And then there is the real world guy like me, who would prefer to look\listen, on my own, with no bias (which I have done, in my own home, with my own equipment), and draw their own conclusion.

The last option is what everyone should. Have your own opinions after completing your own tests.

Next time a salesman tells you that a cable makes a huge difference, call him out on it. Ask him to try one out at home (for free, or purchase and return for refund). Test it out yourself, in your controlled environment away from the audio atheists opinions online, and the audio spiritualist at the store. Be an audio realist.

Custom Home Theater Sales Specialist.
Newmarket, ON.
Ryan Peddle is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 02-16-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 3,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 100
As long as the cord is rated for the job, it makes absolutely ZERO difference. Nada. None. Doesn't matter what it's powering.

Those high priced speaker cables also do nothing special.

Biggest myths in audio right along with amplifiers sounding different.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
brian6751 is online now  
post #11 of 22 Old 02-16-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Peddle View Post

And then there is the real world guy like me, who would prefer to look\listen, on my own, with no bias (which I have done, in my own home, with my own equipment), and draw their own conclusion.

The last option is what everyone should. Have your own opinions after completing your own tests.

Problem is if you were gullible enough to waste your money in the first place, you're likely going to find justification in the end for your purchase. Unless you have a friend or member of your family swapping cables in and out to do a blind test, you're going to have some bias. When true test are done, things like this power cable or premium HDMI nonsense is imperceptible.
Leo_Ames is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 02-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ryan Peddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Whitby, ON
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
See. They just can't accept anything but what they believe.

Custom Home Theater Sales Specialist.
Newmarket, ON.
Ryan Peddle is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 02-17-2014, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 3,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Peddle View Post

See. They just can't accept anything but what they believe.

This is AV SCIENCE. if it isn't measurable, it isn't there. That's all there is to it. Doesn't matter what you think you hear.

Room treatments make a MEASURABLE difference. They are not AV voodoo. High priced amps, wires, and cables DO NOT PRODUCE A MEASURABLE DIFFERENCE. that's all there is too it.

It's all marketing mumbo jumbo.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
brian6751 is online now  
post #14 of 22 Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Peddle View Post

See. They just can't accept anything but what they believe.

It's just human nature.

Spend $60 on a cable that cost 10 cents to manufacture and you're extremely unlikely to decide in the end that the results weren't worth it. Bringing it home and seeing for yourself not only is probably impractical if you're doing something like ordering online (One wonders if they could even return a opened cable without problems to most retailers), it's unlikely to provide the user with a definitive answer on if it's actually accomplishing anything in the end. If you think it's going to help, it's going to help.

I'm sure that stings for someone that sounds like they're involved with selling premium cables and such, but it's true. The only worthwhile tests are when the viewer doesn't know which cable is plugged in that time and they show time and again that they don't help. Plus, there's no shortage of proof that cables sending digital signals like HDMI cables either work or don't work with no in-between. It's not like the days of analog (And even there, tests usually debunked the myth that expensive cables actually improved anything over a decently constructed and fairly priced alternative).

Extremely expensive cables providing noticeable improvements in quality are a myth.
Leo_Ames is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 02-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ryan Peddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Whitby, ON
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You guys just keep telling yourself that. I don't really care. All I am advising the guy to do is test it out. Stop listening to the "mumbo jumbo" either way, and make a decision on his own. The popular thing online is to bash anyone how doesn't join this cult of nothing makes a difference.


I know I am the enemy on these types of forums. Oh my gosh, he works for a B&M store....he is the devil. But the fact of the matter is, I chose it because of how much passion I have for this hobby.

What is really amazing is that when I set up two identical pair of speaker at the store on a NAD amp, one pair on spkr A and the other on spkr B, speaker A having run of the mill 14awg wire, and spkr B with some better speaker wire, and toggled them back and forth, not telling anyone (staff or customer) which was which....all chose speaker B as sounding fuller and more detailed.

But of course, I am lying...he is lying.

Personally, I don't care what you do with your systems, nor do I care what you think I do with mine. But I do think anyone who has nice equipment and feels like testing it themselves, should.

Don't listen to me, or the them, just listen to yourself.

I would never revert back from my Ultalink Excellsior speaker wire to basic lamp cord. Lamp cord reduces my soundstage, and flattens out the dynamics. Just like I would never revert back to my Pioneer Elite receiver over my NAD M25. But...they don't make a difference at all, right?


I've said my piece. Do what you will.
Tsgt2007 likes this.

Custom Home Theater Sales Specialist.
Newmarket, ON.
Ryan Peddle is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 02-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Member
 
kawie01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well put Mr. Peddle

What I have noticed is the bashing if someone believes that product A makes a discernible difference against product B. If I buy a $90 cable vs. a $10 cable and IF I believe that there is a difference in MY system, then, to me, it was $90 well spent. After it's all said and done whose $90 was it to begin with eek.gif.
Ryan Peddle likes this.
kawie01 is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 03-13-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Osirus23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawie01 View Post

Well put Mr. Peddle

What I have noticed is the bashing if someone believes that product A makes a discernible difference against product B. If I buy a $90 cable vs. a $10 cable and IF I believe that there is a difference in MY system, then, to me, it was $90 well spent. After it's all said and done whose $90 was it to begin with eek.gif.

Its your money to waste as you please. And if you fool yourself into thinking there was an improvement because of confirmation bias then good for you.
Osirus23 is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 03-18-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TornadoTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Peddle View Post


What is really amazing is that when I set up two identical pair of speaker at the store on a NAD amp, one pair on spkr A and the other on spkr B, speaker A having run of the mill 14awg wire, and spkr B with some better speaker wire, and toggled them back and forth, not telling anyone (staff or customer) which was which....all chose speaker B as sounding fuller and more detailed.

But of course, I am lying...he is lying.

It probably had more to do with the placement of speaker A vs. speaker B. Room placement can make huge differences in sound.
TornadoTJ is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 03-31-2014, 04:13 PM
Member
 
kawie01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Its your money to waste as you please. And if you fool yourself into thinking there was an improvement because of confirmation bias then good for you.
Hence the IF. Your right it is my money.
kawie01 is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 04-01-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
defdog99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
For power cables, I agree with dark. You have miles of powerlines, so no benefit.

If you are talking interconnects.... like audio cables, speaker cables, and such, yes cables can help/hinder.
Especially cables in the analog domain like plain old stereo RCA cables and speaker cables.
(You pay all that money to have _awesome opamps_ and then you pump that pristine sound down a crappy RCA cable deteriorates the signal a bit)

But we live in the digital world now so we can guarantee no loss by using HDMI cables and such.

What ever happened to the digital speaker cable movement ? I thought there was one a decade ago.
You'd think we could plug cat-6 cable from our AVR to our speakers by now.
defdog99 is offline  
post #21 of 22 Old 04-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Newbie
 
Tsgt2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Peddle View Post

You guys just keep telling yourself that. I don't really care. All I am advising the guy to do is test it out. Stop listening to the "mumbo jumbo" either way, and make a decision on his own. The popular thing online is to bash anyone how doesn't join this cult of nothing makes a difference.


I know I am the enemy on these types of forums. Oh my gosh, he works for a B&M store....he is the devil. But the fact of the matter is, I chose it because of how much passion I have for this hobby.

What is really amazing is that when I set up two identical pair of speaker at the store on a NAD amp, one pair on spkr A and the other on spkr B, speaker A having run of the mill 14awg wire, and spkr B with some better speaker wire, and toggled them back and forth, not telling anyone (staff or customer) which was which....all chose speaker B as sounding fuller and more detailed.

But of course, I am lying...he is lying.

Personally, I don't care what you do with your systems, nor do I care what you think I do with mine. But I do think anyone who has nice equipment and feels like testing it themselves, should.

Don't listen to me, or the them, just listen to yourself.

I would never revert back from my Ultalink Excellsior speaker wire to basic lamp cord. Lamp cord reduces my soundstage, and flattens out the dynamics. Just like I would never revert back to my Pioneer Elite receiver over my NAD M25. But...they don't make a difference at all, right?


I've said my piece. Do what you will.


I have to agree! I change my monster speaker cables and replaced them with the audioquest type 4 speaker cables for my 20 year old Klipsch quartet speakers and what a major improvement. Love those audioquest cables.
Tsgt2007
Tsgt2007 is offline  
post #22 of 22 Old 04-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
jonathanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I love that now the gullible audiophile defence argument has turned to "In the end, don't rely on others opinions. Take it home and test it, if it sounds better to you, it's worth it!". It's the amazing catch all. Just like the religious always have faith to turn to when something is illogical in their belief system. The neat thing about published, peer reviewed measurements through scientific method is that it allows us to make an informed decision without having to waste time bringing home solid oak interconnect supports and volume knobs to see if they make a difference.
jonathanc is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off