How to play/stream mkv in PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what I tried to do is streaming big mkv file to ps3 which connected to home theater.

1. had ps3 media server installed. ps3 found my PC
2. Got a big mkv file, over 9GB single. converted to mpeg2 with mkv2vob successfully.
3. ps3 found the file, BUT can't play it.

Question
1. Does ps3 only recognize the file less than 4 G? if yes, that could be the problem.
2. Does mkv2vob convert the file and automatically split them to chapters which can be played like real blu-ray disc?
3. if question is no, then what is the solution?
4. do we have to convert mkv to something ps3 can read? or is there program we can install in ps3 and make it play mkv directly?

thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
1. When streaming, the file size does not matter.
2. Don't know, because I leave mine as MKVs. PS3MS handles the conversion before the PS3 gets it. But, I don't think any streaming supports chapter stops.
3. Solution is build an HTPC. That's the route I finally went for streaming.
4. Only if you are copying them to the local hard drive. There's not a program to support .MKV on the PS3.

NOTE: if you are trying to do this wirelessly, you might as well give up. There are some that say they have success, but I have NEVER gotten it to work, and I KNOW what I'm doing. I have a very robust network here, lots of commercial grade stuff, top of the line wifi equipment, and the PS3 simply won't reliably stream HD video.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 02:03 AM

Liked: 93
Start with a .mkv containing h264 video and AC3 (Dolby 5.1) audio, or a .mpg with MPEG2 and AC3. Do a simple container swap to .m2ts using tsMuxer in the case of the .mkv. This container swap should only take a couple minutes. Feed the .m2ts or .mpg to PS3 Media Server. PS3MS should then do no conversion whatsoever, resulting in the best possible quality and minimal CPU time on the PC's side.

That's really the best solution I have seen for local streaming to your PS3.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thx guys. Just want to share my experience yesterday. I did stream 3 large mkv wirelessly, 1 was good, 2 was not smoothly. Do you have any problem wirely?
I'm thinking if I need to convert it or just connect ps3 with wire which needs some some work in the attic to hide the wire?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 07:37 AM

Liked: 12
How do I build an HTPC?

3 things in life my father said to me

1. Deny till death
2. If you dont sleep with her, someone else will
3. If it dont fit, force it
post #6 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
post #7 of 9 Old 11-17-2012, 08:14 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayguy61 View Post

what I tried to do is streaming big mkv file to ps3 which connected to home theater.
1. had ps3 media server installed. ps3 found my PC
2. Got a big mkv file, over 9GB single. converted to mpeg2 with mkv2vob successfully.
3. ps3 found the file, BUT can't play it.
Question
1. Does ps3 only recognize the file less than 4 G? if yes, that could be the problem.
2. Does mkv2vob convert the file and automatically split them to chapters which can be played like real blu-ray disc?
3. if question is no, then what is the solution?
4. do we have to convert mkv to something ps3 can read? or is there program we can install in ps3 and make it play mkv directly?
thanks a lot.

1. No, I have files well over 20 gigs that I stream over my network. (1Gig Lan) Though, PS3 media server only detect 512MB of it.
2. Ps3media server default uses Mencoder, you can swap them around or tick on the option that said use Tmuxer.
3. Have you play with PS3 media server Quality settings? mine is 1,1,2 this uses high bandwidth without using too much of the CPU.
4. No, PS3 media server was created so that it can play MKV, (I watch a lot of anime, those are in MKV files now days)

My computer is, 1.7Ghz Quad core I7 CPU, 16Gig of ram, GTX 460M.
if you have a lot of memory, you can allocate some of that for PS3 media server, say something like 1200M

What version of PMS are you using? they just recently update it to 1.71, as far as I know, 1.70 and up can play MKV file with out having to add anything like AviSync or AVCore, etc..
oh mind if you could at lease post up the Debug log? that usually tell you why you're having problem.

post #8 of 9 Old 09-27-2013, 01:26 AM

I know a powerful MKV to PS3 Converter as well as a step by step guide on how to convert MKV to PS3 supported format so as to successfully stream and play HD 720p or 1080p MKV on PS3.

This guide applies to:

• Convert 720p MKV to PS3 supported format so as to stream 720p MKV to PlayStation 3 for playback successfully
  • Convert 1080p MKV to PS3 compatible format to stream and play 1080p MKV on PS3 with ease
  • Convert other HD MKV files to PS3 format to stream and play MKV on PS3 successfully
  • Convert MKV to PS3 supported format as well as add subtitle to the converted MKV video
  • Convert other video formats like FLV, BIK, MOV, AVI, MP4, MPG, F4V, ASF, WMV, MXF, WTV, AVCHD, VOB, DV, MOD, TOD and more to PS3 supported format for easy playback

Get it by typing "step by step guide on how to convert MKV to PS3" in Google.

post #9 of 9 Old 06-11-2014, 02:33 AM

MKV is famous as an open standard free container format which can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture, or subtitle tracks in one file. It is intended to serve as a universal format for storing common multimedia content, like movies or TV shows. Although MKV is one of the most popular formats, it is still impossible to play MKV on PS3.

To successfully play MKV on PS3, a widely used solution without limit is to convert MKV to PS3 compatible formats, no matter you are Windows user or Mac user.

Faasoft's great Video Converter is the best choice to convert MKV and any other video formats to PS3 supported formats.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page