$120 Music Unlimited annual sub promo (15 million songs) for $60, or $12 for PS+ members - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 46 Old 11-19-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Pretty cool promo, especially the 80% discount for PS+ members:
Quote:
Limited Time Sale Offer: Music Unlimited Premium One Year Subscription

80% off the PS Store Special Price for PlayStation Plus members (PS Store Limited Time Sale price: $59.99, PS Plus Price: $12.00)

Music fans with a PS Plus membership: We’ve got an amazing deal on Sony Entertainment Network’s Music Unlimited service. For those unfamiliar, you can use your Music Unlimited premium subscription on a range of compatible devices including PS3, PS Vita, Android phones and tablets, iPhone and iPod touch and any PC. Choose any album or song from a catalog of millions. Never any ads or song skip limits. An annual subscription is valued at over $119, so at practically 90% off Plus members will get an amazing deal of a 1 year subscription for $12. This is a limited time offer so get it on the PS3 or PS Vita Store while you can!

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 11-20-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
That's awesome. Was wanting music service on PS3 but want a very simple solution. This is it.

Chris Schempp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #3 of 46 Old 11-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
This seems like a good deal, but.... I"m not super sensitive to compressed music but I couldn't listen to XM streaming, so tinny. Pandora wasn't much better but listenable for me in small doses. I currently use Slacker and am pretty pleased with its sound. $3.99 a month is a decent price too. So, this service at $1/month sounded good, so I googled its bitrate. I'm no expert but this is concerning:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-music-unlimited_Mobile-App_review_performance-value-verdict_Page-2
Quote:
More controversial, however, is Sony's approach to streaming this content. The company uses the high efficiency advanced audio coding format HE-AAC v2, which retains fidelity at much higher compression than MP3. The problem is Sony takes this to extremes and Music Unlimited streams audio at bitrates of just 48Kbit per second - well below the 'up to' 360Kbit encoding of its rivals. The upside is content buffers very quickly, particularly on mobile devices, and is highly reliable on the move. For those on limited tariffs it is also worth mentioning this will consume far less data.

In practice sound quality is pretty good and most casual listeners will be perfectly happy. Where problems arise is for audiophiles as playback on premium speaker systems and ear/headphones where the audio is revealed to be slightly flat and rounded with narrow range. There is great potential for high efficiency coding in this sector, but Sony does need to up the bit-rate or at least offer higher quality streaming over Wi-Fi and for downloading offline.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #4 of 46 Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

For a only $1 a month along with the ability to use it with my smart phone, PC and PS3, it is a no-brainer to test it out for myself. PS+ continues to be an amazing service that has more than paid for itself since I signed up.

post #5 of 46 Old 11-20-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I wonder how long this deal will be available. I'd like to do the free trial first to see if this is something I'd even use and if it has enough of the kind of music I like (I don't care much for pop music of the last decade or so--guess I'm just getting old :shrug:).
post #6 of 46 Old 11-20-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post

This seems like a good deal, but.... I"m not super sensitive to compressed music but I couldn't listen to XM streaming, so tinny. Pandora wasn't much better but listenable for me in small doses. I currently use Slacker and am pretty pleased with its sound. $3.99 a month is a decent price too. So, this service at $1/month sounded good, so I googled its bitrate. I'm no expert but this is concerning:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-music-unlimited_Mobile-App_review_performance-value-verdict_Page-2

This is a valid concern, the decay of fidelity in the move to digital streaming. I'm not a big fan of video streaming, but it's serviceable as a rental outlet. Never had a music streaming service but I can see the concern.

For only $12 it's worth trying out for yourself. I plan on jumping on this deal just because it's so cheap. I figure they have one year to try and make some real money off me smile.gif

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #7 of 46 Old 11-20-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have a 30 day trial and through my receiver,and my Touchpad Android tablet it sounds great -- to me anyway.

the offline play functionality is great too.

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #8 of 46 Old 11-20-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I just checked out the preview mode in the PS3 app. Does anyone know if there's a screen saver in the full paying mode? I didn't find one in preview. This could be a deal breaker for me--even for $12.
post #9 of 46 Old 11-21-2012, 04:17 AM

Liked: 23
I wanted to, but I can't add money to PSN for the last 3 months. I just move oversees so I think that might be the problem.
post #10 of 46 Old 11-21-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Wow. That's awesome. I'll definitely be signing up when I get home. $12 for a year? Sold.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #11 of 46 Old 11-21-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I signed up, I listen to Spotify all the time, but free so I don't get iPhone support. $12 for a year is a no-brainer. It's already running on my iPhone and Vita.
post #12 of 46 Old 11-21-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

I just checked out the preview mode in the PS3 app. Does anyone know if there's a screen saver in the full paying mode? I didn't find one in preview. This could be a deal breaker for me--even for $12.

Yes, under Settings there is a screensaver mode with 5, 10, 30 and 60 minutes.

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #13 of 46 Old 11-21-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post

Yes, under Settings there is a screensaver mode with 5, 10, 30 and 60 minutes.

Thanks for the info.

By the way, I just got a PSN message from Sony advertising that this special offer is only good until Nov. 27 (I imagine when the store updates).
post #14 of 46 Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Sounds pretty sweet thru headphones on the Vita!
post #15 of 46 Old 11-23-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I kept getting a cannot connect to server error message last night and this morning, so I just deleted the app and reinstalled and all is good. I'm on the 60 day trial ATM, but will definitely sign up for the deal before it expires.
post #16 of 46 Old 11-23-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This deal is way too good. After signing up, I was listening to music until 2 AM. It all sounds great on my home theater set up. My daughter now has the app on her phone, and after entering my account info she is able to use it flawlessly. 15 million songs for one year should hold her.

post #17 of 46 Old 11-23-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

This morning I was hitting all the music I enjoyed during my college days and own on cassette (and haven't listened to in 20 years because they sound like crap), but never bothered to purchase in digital format. Don't know if I could justify spending $10/month after this year runs out, but will see. Maybe by then it will always be free to Plus members. biggrin.gif

Unfortunately Music Unlimited isn't supported on Roku or the Kindle Fire (as far as I can tell), the only other media streaming devices, I own.
post #18 of 46 Old 11-23-2012, 08:26 PM

I streamed using the Music Unlimited website on my Kindle Fire, and that was actually the only success I've had with this service so far. Don't like the browsing setup on the PS3 and the Android app keeps locking up on my phone. I also had connectivity issues on my PS3. If things don't improve for my situation, I'll be pursuing cancelling the service (yeah, I know, it's only $12, but for $12 I should get a usable service).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 46 Old 11-24-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgr_stl View Post

I streamed using the Music Unlimited website on my Kindle Fire, and that was actually the only success I've had with this service so far. Don't like the browsing setup on the PS3 and the Android app keeps locking up on my phone. I also had connectivity issues on my PS3. If things don't improve for my situation, I'll be pursuing cancelling the service (yeah, I know, it's only $12, but for $12 I should get a usable service).

Thanks for the tip about the Kindle browser. I'll have to check that out.

I'm no longer having connection issues on the PS3, and in another forum, people who said they were having connection issues on Thursday seem to be fine now. Are you still getting the server connection error message? After hours of playing around with it on the PS3, I'm finally getting the hang of its less-than-intuitive interface.

My biggest problem right now is creating a channel of instrumental background music (that isn't too New Age-y) I can have on while working. I have no problem creating the right channel on Pandora, but on MU, when I use the same artists to create a channel, most of the songs are uptempo with prominent lyrics.
post #20 of 46 Old 11-24-2012, 02:24 PM

Liked: 13
So not interested. The interface sucks and having to run a dedicated client to use the service is garbage.

I currently subscribe to rdio which is $5 a month if you use the web app and which runs on anything that has a decent web browser. For free, I'd try Music Unlimited again but at the same or higher price than rdio definitely not.
post #21 of 46 Old 11-24-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Why not just roll this into PS+ at no extra charge? The "value" of PS+ seems to be decreasing rather than increasing these days.
joeblow likes this.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #22 of 46 Old 11-24-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Why not just roll this into PS+ at no extra charge? The "value" of PS+ seems to be decreasing rather than increasing these days.

Not if you have a Vita! But I would love for this to be part of PS+...agreed...
post #23 of 46 Old 11-25-2012, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nonsense. At the beginning there was the occasional discounts, early betas and some decent extras. Now there are more games than one could play offered at no extra charge, a bunch of Vita releases and Music Unlimited for $1 a month.

post #24 of 46 Old 11-25-2012, 01:13 AM

I'd sign up in a second if it was compatible with Sonos. Too bad.
post #25 of 46 Old 11-25-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Nonsense. At the beginning there was the occasional discounts, early betas and some decent extras. Now there are more games than one could play offered at no extra charge, a bunch of Vita releases and Music Unlimited for $1 a month.
That's kind of my point. Why charge an extra $1 on top of the $50/year? It's all going in Sony's pocket already. Why the need for separate subs? Just seems like a way to eke a few more bucks out of people.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the direction that both PS+ and XBL are going: using the initial subscription as a "gateway" subscription to even more subscriptions. And the more financial commitments they get out of you, the more embedded you are in their ecosystem. I won't play that game. That's the same reason why I haven't been a cable subscriber in almost 15 years. And it's the same reason why I canceled my XBL Gold sub last year. No regrets about any of those.

A bit off topic, but: yes, in terms of dollars-to-hours, the free games on PS+ are a great value. But for me, I kept waiting and waiting for those must-have games to come down the pipeline, and they never came. Yes, I could have a PS+ sub and have dozens of games to play, but I figure my time and money are better spent on games I really want to play rather than those I just "sort of" want to play.

post #26 of 46 Old 11-25-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You really are going to try and suggest the fact that 15 million songs for a $1 a month as a perk members is a step backwards? This is your strangest attempt yet to troll on something cool for the system.

Like the recent awesome perk of givng Vita games given to members, the response around the 'net for the MU promo has been amazingly positive. While no deal is appealing to everyone of course, to claim that the value of being a PS+ member "is decreasing rather than increasing" is not only ridiculous, but false.

From day one of PS+, members were already were getting good discounts on games, including new ones, which over time pays for the $50 membership for many. Well, with this promo we are getting a 90% discount on Music Unlimited. So this is nothing new at all except what is beng offered.

Sure, I'd like it if there was no charge at all. I would also like it if every PSN game, movie, theme and avatar were free to members as well. But that's not living in the real world.

post #27 of 46 Old 11-25-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's kind of my point. Why charge an extra $1 on top of the $50/year? It's all going in Sony's pocket already. Why the need for separate subs? Just seems like a way to eke a few more bucks out of people.
Unfortunately, that seems to be the direction that both PS+ and XBL are going: using the initial subscription as a "gateway" subscription to even more subscriptions. And the more financial commitments they get out of you, the more embedded you are in their ecosystem. I won't play that game. That's the same reason why I haven't been a cable subscriber in almost 15 years. And it's the same reason why I canceled my XBL Gold sub last year. No regrets about any of those.
A bit off topic, but: yes, in terms of dollars-to-hours, the free games on PS+ are a great value. But for me, I kept waiting and waiting for those must-have games to come down the pipeline, and they never came. Yes, I could have a PS+ sub and have dozens of games to play, but I figure my time and money are better spent on games I really want to play rather than those I just "sort of" want to play.

If you aren't playing that game, then you probably shouldn't be purchasing any new video games, which can all be seen as a "gateway" to buying DLC, sequels, soundtracks, skins, avatars, XMB themes, etc.

I don't feel like Sony is eking extra money from me with Music Unlimited. Quite the contrary, I almost feel guilty that they won't make any real money from me with this deal, as there's no way I'd ever pay full price for this service. (Though to be honest, I have bought DLC for a couple of the free games I've gotten through Plus.)

Plus isn't for everyone, but everyone should be able to get their $50 worth of value over the course of a year between the 3-4 free games per month, discounts, and other perks like the MU offer. Unfortunately, to get the "must-have" games for free, you have to stop buying them on day 1. biggrin.gif
post #28 of 46 Old 11-25-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

You really are going to try and suggest the fact that 15 million songs for a $1 a month as a perk members is a step backwards? This is your strangest attempt yet to troll on something cool for the system.
You say "trolling," I say "being critical." If this forum was just going to be dedicated to announcements and promotions, we may as well all get paid by Sony. As for me, I prefer to keep this forum dedicated to discussion. If you don't like my general skepticism, put me on ignore. It's not hard. I've never been anything but honest and straightforward about my general distrust of the console manufacturers. I'm a gamer, not a "consoler."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

If you aren't playing that game, then you probably shouldn't be purchasing any new video games, which can all be seen as a "gateway" to buying DLC, sequels, soundtracks, skins, avatars, XMB themes, etc.
Everyone draws that line differently. For me, that's where I draw mine. You all may draw yours elsewhere. I'm not a fan of subscription services, especially when I already pay for everything those services provide (internet access, software, movies, music, etc., etc.). Buying games is something else entirely since I'm not paying for a service, but for a product. But like I said, everyone draws that line differently. That's mine.

post #29 of 46 Old 11-25-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

For anyone who hasn't signed up yet, sign up for the 60-day trial first before purchasing the one year in the PS Store for $12 (or $60 if you don't have Plus). I finally paid for the full year today after signing up for the 60-trial a few days ago, and now my account settings say my expiration date is 1-21-2014. (Before, it said 1-21-2013.) Also, be sure to disable auto renewal in the account settings so you don't forget a year from now if you don't plan on paying the regular price ($9.99/mo.).
post #30 of 46 Old 11-25-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You say "trolling," I say "being critical." .
Anyone and everyone is critical every now and then. Some more than others; no big whoop.

However a pattern of predictably coming in to take a dump in this sub forum again and again over the years is way beyond that, and will continue to be pointed out. In your case, the verb used is accurate to describe this pattern.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page