Problem with DTS-MA HD Audio and Super Slim - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-23-2012, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up the new Super Slim over Black Friday and once I finished the setup, I could not get my Pioneer vsx-50 Receiver to light up the indicator for DTS-MA HD. I am running cheap HDMIs I Picked up from Newegg so I do not know if that may be the case.

I have set my HDMI output to bitstream in the Video Settings and the DTS-MA HD box is ticked when I manually go through the sound settings. I popped in the LOTR Blu-ray and got no sound and the receiver is displaying "STEREO". When I set it to PCM, their is alot of static coming from the speakers. I am running a 5.1 speaker setup and the movie is 6.1 DTS Master HD, can this be the problem?

I checked the track that is being run while watching the movie and it says DTS Master Audio and Multi-Channel 48khz. Anyone have a solution or has experienced this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-24-2012, 04:12 AM

Liked: 93
It doesn't matter. Your PS3 should be set to linear PCM so it decodes dts on it's end. HDMI is designed for decoding to happen on the source side with output being PCM. Bitstreaming is what happens once marketing gets ahold of the standard and needs some new reason to sell newer revisions of receivers and players.
qjones likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-24-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

I reaaly don't want to use Linear PCM. It kind of bugs me knowing that I bought a DTSMA-HD and TrueHd compatible receiver and not have it do the decoding. Used Super 8 which has a TrueHD track and still no audio.
post #4 of 17 Old 11-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You're gonna have to buy a standalone bluray player for bitstream DTS HD and true HD. The ps3 only decodes the HD audio and transmits it as pcm. Your receiver will only show multi in..
I , like you, bought a new receiver that decodes DTS HD and true HD. I ended up buying a Samsung 3d bluray player and believe me, the video and audio quality increase is phenomenal! Plus, my new denon displays and plays the DTS hdma audio and true HD as its supposed to.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-24-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighdefJoe View Post

You're gonna have to buy a standalone bluray player for bitstream DTS HD and true HD. The ps3 only decodes the HD audio and transmits it as pcm.

That is incorrect. The earlier Slim models bitstream HD audio codecs no problem. The Super Slim may be different as I haven't read anything about the specs.

To teamak: make sure that the Audio Multi-Output is disabled in the Sound Settings menu.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #6 of 17 Old 11-24-2012, 01:32 PM

Liked: 93
"It kind of bugs me knowing that I bought a DTSMA-HD and TrueHd compatible receiver and not have it do the decoding."

I bet it bugs you less than stereo. Just use PCM, that is the correct way to do it. Wanting your receiver to do the decoding just means that you kind of got suckered by marketing. That's perfectly okay! Now though, it's time to quietly acknowledge that that's what happened and just move on to the solution that works, LPCM.

If PCM also doesn't work, then start out by swapping HDMI cables to some other dirt cheap $4 Amazon cable or something. Then reset all your audio settings in the PS3's sounds and video menus.

EDIT: Wrong thread! smile.gif Stuttering was somewhere else.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-24-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

I've been reading up on HDMI, do I need HDMI 1.3 to bitstream DTSMAHD and TrueHD?
post #8 of 17 Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamak View Post

I picked up the new Super Slim over Black Friday and once I finished the setup, I could not get my Pioneer vsx-50 Receiver to light up the indicator for DTS-MA HD. I am running cheap HDMIs I Picked up from Newegg so I do not know if that may be the case.
I have set my HDMI output to bitstream in the Video Settings and the DTS-MA HD box is ticked when I manually go through the sound settings. I popped in the LOTR Blu-ray and got no sound and the receiver is displaying "STEREO". When I set it to PCM, their is alot of static coming from the speakers. I am running a 5.1 speaker setup and the movie is 6.1 DTS Master HD, can this be the problem?
I checked the track that is being run while watching the movie and it says DTS Master Audio and Multi-Channel 48khz. Anyone have a solution or has experienced this before?

there was a recent update on the ps3 where it now sets everything to pcm. go into the audio settings and unmark the 5.1/7.1 pcm settings. that should help you get the trueHD/DTSMA from the slim. I had the issue on my ps3 as well. I called sony but they were not much of a help.

Jacob
post #9 of 17 Old 11-25-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Still nothing. I'm pretty sure its the pioneer. I bought a blu-ray player that supports DTSMAHD and TrueHD from Target 20 min ago to see if my PS3 is defective but same results. No audio. Tried movies with both soundtracks. VSX-50 diplays "stereo" but plays fine in PCM. It bothers me that I cannot get my AVR to do the decoding, so leaving it at PCM is out of the question.

Also, when I leave it as PCM, I get no audio coming from the rears and there is alot of distortion/static. If I turn on the Multi-Output setting on the PS3 where it downmixes to a DTS core 5.1, sound does come when I set it to bitstream and "DTS" is displayed on the receiver.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Having your ps3 transmit as pcm means you're using its decoders, rather than your audio receiver. Wouldn't you rather have the audio receiver do the audio decoding? It is built to have better processors than most disc players. I do have cleaner sound using the Samsung player instead of the ps3. YMMV tho
post #11 of 17 Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Still nothing. I'm pretty sure its the pioneer. I bought a blu-ray player that supports DTSMAHD and TrueHD from Target 20 min ago to see if my PS3 is defective but same results. No audio. Tried movies with both soundtracks. VSX-50 diplays "stereo" but plays fine in PCM. It bothers me that I cannot get my AVR to do the decoding, so leaving it at PCM is out of the question.
Also, when I leave it as PCM, I get no audio coming from the rears and there is alot of distortion/static. If I turn on the Multi-Output setting on the PS3 where it downmixes to a DTS core 5.1, sound does come when I set it to bitstream and "DTS" is displayed on the receiver.
That's because the ps3 is bitstreaming regular DTS, not dtshdma
post #12 of 17 Old 11-26-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

It is actually the receiver. Called Pioneer and confirmed that I have a broken encoder's chip. Going to return and hopefully find another 7.1 receiver around the same price range because this receiver was a steal. Thx for the replies.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Bought a Denon AVR-1613 and heppy with it so far. Plays all my Blu-rays with DTSMAHD and TrueHD. Appreciate everyone's help.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Glad you figured this out. Sorry you had to deal with one of the forums unhelpful resident trolls.

From just reading your first post, you mention "static." That's never acceptable, regardless of the whole "bitstream v. lpcm" debate. And now that you have sorted this out, you really could just switch the PS3's sound settings back to LPCM. wink.gif

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #15 of 17 Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Bought a Denon AVR-1613 and heppy with it so far. Plays all my Blu-rays with DTSMAHD and TrueHD. Appreciate everyone's help.
I have that same receiver but my old slim still did the decoding. The receiver display shows DTS hdma? Mine just had multi in bluray... Unless I missed something on an update... What are your settings?

And who was the resident troll? I didn't feel any comments from anyone were trollish, just experiences with this problem.
post #16 of 17 Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad you got it sorted out. For the record I recently bought a new "super slim" as they're calling them and set it to bitstream and I'm not having any issues. My receiver is a Pioneer Elite SC-25 and it lights up with the Dolby symbol followed by TrueHD or with DTS HD Master (not enough space on the display for the word Audio). Sure you can set the PS3 to PCM and let it do the decoding, but if you want your receiver to decode everything there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to.

Steve

post #17 of 17 Old 11-27-2012, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

I have the HDMI set from Linear PCM to Bitstream. My Multi-Output is set to off and the HDMI outout in the sound settings is set to automatic. My receiver is showing DTSHDMA on display. If I set it to LINEAR PCM then it show Multi-in Bluray.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page