did my ps3 die? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was hoping i could get some help from the avs before i start searching around the internet. So i was playing black ops today when suddenly the ps3 (not slim model an old one) suddenly shut off and the red light was flashing after waiting a minute i hit the button and the light stopped flashing red and went steady red. After that i attempted to turn on again... it turned on for a quick second then went back to flashing red with nothing appearing on screen, any help or advice, thanks fellas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Reflow or sell it. A reflow (do a google search) will only delay the inevitable, but it might let you rescue your saves if you haven't backed them up recently.

The old phat PS3's are ticking time bombs. They aren't built to last and started dropping like flies over the last couple years. I'd sell it ASAP (even if it's not working, people will pay decently for the old PS3s). Then I'd buy a newer model. So far so good on these newer ones. *fingers crossed*

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #3 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Reflow or sell it. A reflow (do a google search) will only delay the inevitable, but it might let you rescue your saves if you haven't backed them up recently.
The old phat PS3's are ticking time bombs. They aren't built to last and started dropping like flies over the last couple years. I'd sell it ASAP (even if it's not working, people will pay decently for the old PS3s). Then I'd buy a newer model. So far so good on these newer ones. *fingers crossed*

if i buy a new one is there anyway i can transfer the data from the old dead to the new one?
post #4 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Not a dead one, no.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 05:21 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalpride66 View Post

I was hoping i could get some help from the avs before i start searching around the internet. So i was playing black ops today when suddenly the ps3 (not slim model an old one) suddenly shut off and the red light was flashing after waiting a minute i hit the button and the light stopped flashing red and went steady red. After that i attempted to turn on again... it turned on for a quick second then went back to flashing red with nothing appearing on screen, any help or advice, thanks fellas!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1353745/if-you-have-a-phat-sell-it-a-warning-from-refurb-land
post #6 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
The old PS3s are reliable as you can expect from electronics these days. Mine's 4 and a half years old and still working like a champ. And between games and Netflix, it gets used plenty.

500 gigs FTW.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hope you keep it backed up, because it will die. Probably sooner than later.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

The old PS3s are reliable as you can expect from electronics these days. Mine's 4 and a half years old and still working like a champ. And between games and Netflix, it gets used plenty.
You're one of the lucky few. I'd wager that most of us early adopters here have long since replaced our phat PS3s.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #9 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
My 80GB PS3 "phat" is still working perfectly fine without issue. Have their been any type of statistics that shows rather people constantly using Folding@Home decreases the longevity of the PS3 compared to people who either hardly or never use it?
post #10 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 12:30 PM

Liked: 13
My January '07 built 60G is still working just fine. I take it apart and blow out the dust bunnies every year or so. I have PS+ so my saves are backed up just in case.

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
post #11 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 04:23 PM

Liked: 832
Go check out a breakdown vid and take a look at the cooling system of the Phat PS3. Then realize they frequently are putting out 100C+, hotter than most gaming laptops.

With the tin solder problems, it'll fail eventually. If there's a trade in deal that makes a new system cost about as much as a crappy refurb, I HIGHLY suggest you take it.

From a guy thats gone through 2 PS3's and very expensive SXRD Sony television in just the past 5 years. Sony hardware QA from 07-08 crap.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page