AVS Forum banner

Have you ever used the Eagle Eye converter for the keyboard and mouse?

Tags
eagle eye
3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  gregdpw 
#1 ·
Have ya guys ever tried this product that lets ya use a keyboard and mouse with the ps3? From everything I am reading its about 90 percent the same as a pc. That's way better than using that darn controller. http://www.penguinunited.com/

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw  /t/1442250/have-you-ever-used-the-eagle-eye-converter-for-the-keyboard-and-mouse#post_22641026

Have ya guys ever tried this product that lets ya use a keyboard and mouse with the ps3? From everything I am reading its about 90 percent the same as a pc. That's way better than using that darn controller. http://www.penguinunited.com/

I've used it a few times- mainly for the Resistance games. As long as you stay within the compatibility guidelines for the mouse you use, it works pretty well. My only "complaint" is that most wireless mice/kb won't work with it (or at least are flagged as incompatible last I checked) so I'm not crazy about stringing USB cables 20 ft away from the TV. That's more of a typical PS3 gaming environment vs. PC gaming environment argument, however.

There was a PS3 firmware update or two that caused the Eagle Eye to stop working, but I think that was resolved with the latest EE firmware and hasn't been a problem for about a year...as long as that isn't a problem anymore, I'd say it is a worthwhile purchase, but most newer games support the Move which may work just as well/better.

#3 ·
Before you decide on a product check out the Xim Edge. I had originally purchased the Xim3 and ended up selling it and upgrading to the Xim Edge to have full PS3 and 360 compatibility. The dev's update this thing constantly with support for new games (they have some funky setup to capture the move mechanics for each game to make it 1:1 movement) or firmware updates for the device itself. It appears to have a fairly big h/w compatibility list, mind you I haven't tried many devices, so you likely won't run into too many problems on that front.

Hope that help.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmanInc  /t/1442250/have-you-ever-used-the-eagle-eye-converter-for-the-keyboard-and-mouse#post_22642940

Before you decide on a product check out the Xim Edge. I had originally purchased the Xim3 and ended up selling it and upgrading to the Xim Edge to have full PS3 and 360 compatibility. The dev's update this thing constantly with support for new games (they have some funky setup to capture the move mechanics for each game to make it 1:1 movement) or firmware updates for the device itself. It appears to have a fairly big h/w compatibility list, mind you I haven't tried many devices, so you likely won't run into too many problems on that front.

Hope that help.
That's cool that it supports using the Move Nav controller with a mouse...hadn't thought of that combo.

#5 ·
I use the eagle eye with a logitech mouse and nostromo game pad and after spending a few days tweaking the settings I got it to work well enough to make playing FPS games on the PS3 fun after being a life long keyboard and mouse player on the pc and never doing well with the game controller.

I would estimate it has about 70-80% the 'feel' of pc gaming but it is not nearly as precise. The other problem is the logarithmic input of the thumb controllers being converted from a mouse input. This makes spinning around to do a 180 or 360 near impossible. If you can live without that acceleration mode, this may be a good solution for you. I play BF3 with it and I like it far more than using the ps3 controller.

#6 ·
Just like my pc!! The eagle eye is awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.