PS3 permanently dead after pausing a Blu-Ray tonight.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-04-2012, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a power surge at my apartment last night that lasted several hours. I have my launch day 60GB PS3 hooked up to a Monster Power HTS 1600 protector.

Today, I turned on the PS3 and it worked fine. I popped in the new "Batman" Blu-Ray and it played fine for about 15 min. I put the movie on pause for several minutes and when I came back, the PS3 had lost connection, the controller was fast flashing red and the PS3 was fast flashing red as well. I tried rebooting the PS3 and the fan momentarily fires up, then a quick yellow light, then flashing red light.

After about 15 min, I was able to reboot the PS3....it asked for a disk check....performed it....then restarted the PS3. I immediately tried watching the Blu-Ray movie again....and the same flashing red occured. And now....it will not reboot at all.

I have never seen a Blu-Ray error brick a PS3 before, nor heard of one.

Do I have any hopes at all or just toss this thing into the garbage? And by the way....I can't get the "Batman" disc out. Blockbuster will never get it back. frown.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sounds like a YLOD. Probably just a coincidence that you were watching a Blu-ray at the time, and that there was a power surge the day before. It probably would have done it anyway.

If you call Sony, they will take back your 60gb, and sell you a refurb slim for $100. They should also return whatever disc was in the drive. If you're handy, there are youtube videos about how to disassemble a 60gb to get your disc out, but that could potentially void the option of returning the PS3 to Sony.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, thanks....will explore all avenues but the main thing is getting the movie out so I am not screwed over with Blockbuster.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 02:29 AM

Liked: 93
Cheap, six year old consumer electronics devices die. The Bluray disc didn't break it. That's just what happened to be playing when something else failed.

Somebody will be along shortly to recommend "reflowing" it, or you can hop on google to find out more if you are impatient. At best you'll want to take any extra life you get out of the thing to eject the disc and back up your saves. Or, you can grab a screwdriver set and a disassembly guide off the internet and get the disc out that way.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. I am reading some very freaky threads somewhere about a 'hairdryer' trick....people aiming their hairdryer at the back of the unit for several minutes....letting it cool for a coupla hours, then trying it again? I guess this is the 'reflow' thing you're talking about. At best, this is just a temporary fix, I am guessing. I mainly want to get that disc out. I am resigned to the fact that my PS3 is likely finished. Oh well.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Yep, you are reading the right thing. The temporary fix will get your disc out and hopefully give you the opportunity to perform backups, if you are not a PS+ subscriber.

If you are that worried about returning the disc to Blockbuster, the Batman bluray is only $8 on Amazon.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks....yeah, I'm thinking of alternative ways to return the dvd...lol.

By the way, if I sell the PS3 to a 3rd party, would someone be able to go in and access my PSN info with credit card info, etc? I don't know how I would change all that securely.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

If you sell it while it's still broken, if it were me I'd pull the hard drive out. I'd either leave it out or I'd plug it into a PC and use an app like Darik's Boot and Nuke to erase the drive. If they reflow it and you have auto login enabled, they will have full access to your account. One way to prevent this would be to go change the password for PSN, but I'd still be very scared. If you do DBaN it, let the buyer know the drive is working but you erased it, they'll have to reinstall the OS to get the system working, if that is their goal.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks....I think I'll just get the movie removed and toss it in the trash or just bury it in my basement....for peace of mind with all that info, etc.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

You might try the hairdryer trick if you need to get it running for a bit though.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks....tried the hairdryer trick twice....didn't work. Paid a dude locally today a small amount to remove the movie....I don't have the tools to open it myself.

Thanks for the help guys....
post #12 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Cheap, six year old consumer electronics devices die. The Bluray disc didn't break it. That's just what happened to be playing when something else failed.
Somebody will be along shortly to recommend "reflowing" it, or you can hop on google to find out more if you are impatient. At best you'll want to take any extra life you get out of the thing to eject the disc and back up your saves. Or, you can grab a screwdriver set and a disassembly guide off the internet and get the disc out that way.

Cheap? Sony were selling them for 600 bucks when they cost over 800 dollars to make. That's not cheap.

Oh wait, I forgot I was on the internet. My mistake since on the internet, 800 dollars is mere pocket change to everyone.

500 gigs FTW.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 05:45 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

Cheap? Sony were selling them for 600 bucks when they cost over 800 dollars to make. That's not cheap.
Oh wait, I forgot I was on the internet. My mistake since on the internet, 800 dollars is mere pocket change to everyone.

They are cheap, cheap heatsinks and heat dissipation engineering... Sony cut corners, and excessive heat kills the old phats eventually.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1353745/if-you-have-a-phat-sell-it-a-warning-from-refurb-land
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page