AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
The sequel is due out in 2013:
Quote:
Hopelessness, Despair, and Impending Doom Arrives With Dark Souls II

SAN JOSE, Calif. – December 7, 2012 – Leading video game publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. today proudly announces that the critically acclaimed Dark Souls™ saga marches forward with Dark Souls™ II, currently in development at FromSoftware in Tokyo, Japan. Dark Souls II will continue a legacy of goading its passionate fan base with unrelenting challenge and suffering that are considered a hallmark of the series; while presenting new devilishly devised obstacles for players to overcome. Dark Souls II will be available for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PCs.

Built upon the foundation established by Souls series creator and Dark Souls II Supervisor, Hidetaka Miyazaki with development helmed by FromSoftware Director Tomohiro Shibuya, Dark Souls II will feature a new hero, a new storyline, and an unfamiliar world for players to survive in while delivering its signature brand of unrelenting punishment that players hunger for. Epic battles with gruesome enemies and blood-thirsty bosses await adventurers as they traverse through a devastated world filled with death and despair; only those who are strong willed or cunning can survive this journey to achieve great glory. Players seeking to share their experience will discover a revamped server-based multiplayer mode that will put a distinct Dark Souls II twist on the concept of playing with others.

“Dark Souls II retains the core essence of Dark Souls while evolving to present new twists and challenges that are sure to please longtime fans and attract new comers to the series,” says Carlson Choi, Vice President of Marketing at NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. “FromSoftware is going to take a very dark path with Dark Souls II; players will need to look deep within themselves to see if they have the intestinal fortitude to embark on this journey.”

“This new chapter in the Dark Souls saga presents opportunities for us to drive innovation in gameplay design, develop an entirely new story, and expand the scope of the world in which the player interacts with the game. We have taken these necessary steps with Dark Souls II in order to evolve the overall experience of the Dark Souls series,” says Tomohiro Shibuya, FromSoftware Director on Dark Souls II. “The entire development team is striving to make Dark Souls II an experience that is fresh while not forsaking its roots in presenting players with challenging gameplay. Our goal is to surprise and delight our fans with new experiences and plot twists while enticing new players to join our dark journey.”

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 344 Old 12-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
More Souls is always good news...

- Jer
post #3 of 344 Old 12-09-2012, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
!
post #4 of 344 Old 12-10-2012, 04:30 AM

Liked: 23
Never get pass that Mennitar boss
post #5 of 344 Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Awesome, saw that this morning. Loved Demon Souls and Dark Souls!
post #6 of 344 Old 12-10-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Latest word is that the developer is focusing on making it a lot easier to understand the play system:
Quote:
An eternal battle rages at the heart of Dark Souls II. On one side stands the stern force of challenge, the very soul of the Souls series. It has inspired thousands of fans to hack their way through two of the most demanding and rewarding games of an era, fans who expect at least the same test on the next go around. On the other side is the bright promise of accessibility. And why not? Why shouldn’t FromSoftware and Namco Bandai open Souls up to a wider audience when it could otherwise be in danger of becoming stuck in a cult cul-de-sac?

There are many, after all, who have been put off by the series’ habit of obscuring its best assets from all but the most committed. Entire systems, such as Dark Souls’ covenants and Demon’s Souls’ World Tendency, remain mysteries to even reasonably experienced players – wouldn’t it be a service to the games to help everyone understand them better? On the other hand, isn’t the very nature of the Souls series about obfuscation and what it makes you work for? Aren’t its greatest pleasures about the slow crawl of discovery in a world that refuses easy interpretation? What would the series lose if it was made more explicit?

As we find out in issue 249, the answers to these questions are in the hands of game directors new to the Souls series, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, who have taken the reins from Hidetaka Miyazaki. Their descriptions of how they intend to mould Dark Souls II into a more approachable form seem reasonable. But Shibuya admits that their approach will be influenced by their individual characters. “I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.” We sympathise if that sort of statement concerns you, but at the same time, we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls. How it gets there is a worthy matter for debate, but it’s certainly a noble task.

post #7 of 344 Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Latest word is that the developer is focusing on making it a lot easier to understand the play system:
Those confusing game mechanics never really bothered me. It was almost a rite of passage in these games to try to figure out what the hell they meant.

What I'm hoping they try to spend some time on is multiplayer. Make sure it actually works. I had platted Dark Souls before the MP ever worked well.

------------------------------------
PSN/XBO: frankthetoad
post #8 of 344 Old 12-10-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

Those confusing game mechanics never really bothered me. It was almost a rite of passage in these games to try to figure out what the hell they meant.
What I'm hoping they try to spend some time on is multiplayer. Make sure it actually works. I had platted Dark Souls before the MP ever worked well.

Pretty much. The Covenant system wasn't so much confusing, as it was bugged and broken. Also they introduced hige problems going to a open world, without doing propper QC testing. Adding very powerful hard point dmg items, along with the bugs, really killed low level MP (and any sanity for the noobs)
post #9 of 344 Old 12-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
This will be a must buy for me. Have played the hell out both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. I actually just started another playthrough of Dark Souls to finish off the plat.

The Weekend Warriors
post #10 of 344 Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really hope they have an option to coop with people in our friend list if the SL is fine. I mean I like the idea of the random summoning but I would like to play coop with my friend and help him/having him help me clear bosses and kill invaders tongue.gif
post #11 of 344 Old 12-11-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

I really hope they have an option to coop with people in our friend list if the SL is fine. I mean I like the idea of the random summoning but I would like to play coop with my friend and help him/having him help me clear bosses and kill invaders tongue.gif

You always could.

Ds was easier than Dks, but boot up skype (for VC), hammer that soapstone in the same area, and you'd connect in 2-5 min.
post #12 of 344 Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

You always could.
Ds was easier than Dks, but boot up skype (for VC), hammer that soapstone in the same area, and you'd connect in 2-5 min.
Tyrant, I think you'll agree that the method you're mentioning is less than ideal for co-oping with friends....

post #13 of 344 Old 12-12-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You always could.

I'm hoping for a real method wink.gif
post #14 of 344 Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:

Tyrant, I think you'll agree that the method you're mentioning is less than ideal for co-oping with friends....

After close to 400hrs sunk into this game, it was real to me dammnit!
post #15 of 344 Old 12-14-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After close to 400hrs sunk into this game, it was real to me dammnit!
Go outside. tongue.gif

post #16 of 344 Old 12-14-2012, 09:13 PM

Hey now, look who's talking mr. "I'll go outside in the winter"... Your trophy card betrays you!
post #17 of 344 Old 12-16-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Who, me? I'm always outside...I just don't sleep and now I have a Vita. smile.gif

post #18 of 344 Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 PM

Liked: 10
Dark Souls 2: there's a "core" that needs protecting says Miyazaki

But there's "a lot around that we need to fix or adjust besides".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-19-dark-souls-2-theres-a-core-that-needs-protecting-says-miyazaki
Quote:
By Robert Purchese Published Wednesday, 19 December 2012

Dark Souls stands apart from everything else and it's brilliant for it. So when new game director Tomohiro Shibuya said he'd like Dark Souls 2 to be "more straightforward and more understandable" well he sure gave us the willies.

Demon's Souls/Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki has eased a few of those fears in an interview with Japanese magazine Famitsu (translated by Polygon). He said there was a core experience that needed protecting.

"I'm talking about how we think about the difficulty level and how you achieve things in-game, about the concepts behind the mechanics and level design," he said.

"Outside of that core, though, it's better to leave things to the discretion of the director. There's a lot around that core that we need to fix or adjust besides, and individual touches always tend to come out in the world setting and artwork, so I'm not meddling in that very much."

Solitude and desperation are key components of that core, Miyazaki mentioned, and he feels both were expressed in the really-quite-something Dark Souls 2 CGI trailer (below).

One key area of evolution for Dark Souls 2 will be multiplayer. Like Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 2 will have dedicated multiplayer servers - these were dropped for Dark Souls which had a peer-to-peer approach. Their resurrection means Dark Souls 2 can do more.

"Setting up a dedicated server lets you retain your data, making it easier to share it with other players. We'd like to evolve the asynchronous message-oriented online support from the previous game; we're imagining a framework where players are able to directly interact with each other," Shibuya said.

Miyazaki added: "Having dedicated game servers will be the source of a lot of new potential in DS2. There was a lot with the original Dark Souls I wish I could have done if we had the ability to have those servers, so in that way I'm pretty jealous of the new director here.

"The concept behind online play in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls was pretty plain to gamers, so I'm hoping we can evolve on that concept here without removing ourselves too far from it."

Server persistence meant Demon's Souls online worlds could have tendencies, black or white, and they changed depending on how many people where helpful white phantoms or murderous black phantoms. Some portals only worked when a world was a certain tendency, and even the behaviour and loot tables of bosses could change.
post #19 of 344 Old 12-20-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Dark Souls 2 trailer....

Where is it?

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #20 of 344 Old 12-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Dark Souls 2 trailer....
Where is it?

YouTube has it -- it was on the Spike VGA trailers page, but was MIA last I checked (don't know why).

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #21 of 344 Old 04-10-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This new DS II trailer features a lot of game play action.

post #22 of 344 Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

How exactly can IGN, which doesnt own or produce this video, block it from YT on copyright terms?

post #23 of 344 Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I fixed it.

post #24 of 344 Old 04-12-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Mmmmmmooore Souls! Need to get off my lazy arse and finish Dark Souls.
post #25 of 344 Old 06-04-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else seen reports this has been pushed from PS3 to PS4 with a March-May 2014 release? I was hoping to get my hands on it this summer.

post #26 of 344 Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Anyone else seen reports this has been pushed from PS3 to PS4 with a March-May 2014 release? I was hoping to get my hands on it this summer.

I did see a release date of March 2014. I haven't read anything about moving to PS4.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/06/02/namco-bandai-leaks-dark-souls-ii-release-window-with-giant-banner.aspx

post #27 of 344 Old 06-04-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Makes sense to see a next-gen port to maximize sales, but I haven't heard anything about it. Even if it comes to the PS4, a PS3 version is still guaranteed.

post #28 of 344 Old 06-04-2013, 04:46 PM

Liked: 11
dark souls... you hate it, but you love it. just like how Tony Horton explains the ab ripper x in P90X
post #29 of 344 Old 06-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Here's an interview with Yui Tanimura, the director.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #30 of 344 Old 06-13-2013, 10:02 AM

On the XBone reveal, it looked like they focused on more action. I really hope that isn't a design decision, but just editing to fit the crowd they were showing it to.

Dark/Demons Souls is a Survival Horror wRPG at it's core, and I want it to stay that way.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Dark Souls Ii

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page