Far Cry 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 12-09-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Is amazing. I posted a thread a while back about Video Games Graphics that made you catch your breath. This game is like that through and through. There are many times I have stopped just to take in the view. It's stunning. Incredible sunsets over the spectacular blue-green ocean, lush jungle environments, it's just amazing.

The game seems HUGE. Both in geography and content. I have played probably 10 hours but have barely scratched the surface of the mission. Like Skyrim, I keep wandering off to explore and do side missions.

It does SO many things, and does them all so well: The gunplay, the driving, the boating, the swimming, the jet-skiing, the hang-gliding, the hunting.. So fun.

I saw another thread where they talked about crappy frame-rates, but I haven't noticed it, (shrug). Seems no different then any other video game I play.

The "living" nature of the environment is really fun. Some amusing scenes I've happened across:

- I was exploring and heard shouts and gunfire nearby, so I walked over a ridge and looked down to see a jeep had pulled over with a couple of bad guys, who had gotten out and were firing on a Tiger that attacked! i stood by and watched them get mauled. Then after the tiger left, I went down and looted the bodies. Thanks Tony!

- I came over another ridge to look down over a BEAUTIFUL green, grassy valley, with a river flowing through it, with a couple small waterfalls. A herd of deer were wandering through and it was just gorgeous (I took a few photos). Suddenly, an Asian Black Bear burst from the nearby copse of trees to chase the deer! (He didn't catch any).

- Searching an underground cavern, I was mauled to death by a bear cause I had no more ammo! When I reloaded, I knew where the bear was and dropped a mine between he and I. I made myself visible to him and sure enough, here he comes. I just plugged my ears and watched. :-)

I love this game.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
It sounds pretty cool. I made a mistake and bought Black Ops 2 (what the hell was I thinking?). But I'm about to send it back to Amazon so I might use the credit to pay for half of this game. Or Hitman Absolution. Can't decide for sure. Does the campaign seem pretty long?

500 gigs FTW.
post #3 of 48 Old 12-09-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've heard the campaign is 13 hours if you don't do anything else.

But if you buy Far Cry 3 and don't do anything else, you're a fool.

post #4 of 48 Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I complete the game in about 20+ hours, Unlocking every out posts and upgrading my crafts and skills. All I have left is 2 skills, craft the Extended bags, and get all the other misc mission like finiding relics and other **** biggrin.gif 53% completed on the trophy woot. Yes the frame rate is a bit bad, but I think I'm just use to PC games.
post #5 of 48 Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Good looking, fun, open world game despite its weak story.
post #6 of 48 Old 12-13-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm a little more than halfway through the campaign (best guess), and I've achieved 33% of the Trophies.

I have a goal of Platinuming this game. I've only went Platinum on one game before.

I've looked over the requirements and trophies list and it seems very doable!

post #7 of 48 Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

I have a goal of Platinuming this game. I've only went Platinum on one game before.
I've looked over the requirements and trophies list and it seems very doable!
Careful! You may get addicted to trophy hunting before you know it. wink.gif

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #8 of 48 Old 05-19-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Sorry to bring this old thread back. If we can call it old. I did everything, all relics, all lettters,.... , i'm 98% complete. I just need to complete a death from above skill to complete the last one. My problem is, there is no enemies left,.... Or is it?

I've complete the game btw.
post #9 of 48 Old 05-19-2013, 12:49 PM

Liked: 93
I'm pretty sure they patched in an option to reset the outposts, meaning you can get a bunch of enemies back in the world.
post #10 of 48 Old 05-19-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice, I'll check it out, thanks.
post #11 of 48 Old 05-19-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
This has to be the most boring open world game I've ever played. I have no idea how this got people calling it the GOTY. If you've been to one part of the island, you've seen the entire island. It's just pathetic how boring this game is. Having said that, I do want to check out the Blood Dragon demo because that looks really cool.

500 gigs FTW.
post #12 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Really? It's the best game I've played so far. I regret not having played it earlier. Far from boring, Vaas is a great vilain.

Btw, i reset the outpost and completed my last skill. Cool that you can do that. 5 trophies in co op to go and I platinum that game smile.gif
post #13 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I too loved this game. I thought they did the open world perfectly. If you wanted to explore- have at it. If you wanted to jump from Point A to Point B- fast travel to the liberated outposts.

Hunting was fun, sneaking was fun, vehicles were good, and the story was pretty good also. Going for the platinum definitely allows you to find a lot of interesting places around the island.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #14 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I find the open-world aspects to be extremely well-done in this game. There are a wide-variety of side-missions to entertain you as well as relics and letters to hunt for that can unlock signature weapons.

Not to mention, the game world looks absolutely amazing, especially on the PC!

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #15 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

This is one game that is actually fun to platinum. Some games are annoying to get.
post #16 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
I thought it was a fantastic game--after I made a few adjustments. I didn't let myself buy or upgrade any weapons, and I didn't upgrade any items or skills (unless they were required). Because, as is, the game is simply too easy even on Hard. I also didn't use the map or any fast traveling. Made it a much better game.

Once I made those fixes, it was an excellent experience. But that's typical of Ubisoft's open-world games. They're rarely great out of the box. They always need some kind of adjustment.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #17 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77 View Post

This is one game that is actually fun to platinum. Some games are annoying to get.

YES! I totally agree. This is the only game I've ever set out to Platinum and did. It was extremely satisfying. The letters are hilarious, well worth the time to find and read.

Blklightening, not really sure if you're just trollin' us or what, but if you think this game is boring, I'm not really sure what you're looking for. If this is boring, what's NOT boring?

That said, you're entitled to your opinion, I can respect that.

I mean, If you want to rush through the beat it, (shrug), it's okay. But if you're the type guy that enjoys a game, appreciates the graphics and soundtrack and environment - this is the game for you. There were times (and still are) that I literally stop what I'm doing in the game to take in an awesome scene and visual. It's stunning.

In another thread, somebody said there's not much to do in Far Cry 3, and my reply was:

Yeah, like fight a tiger. Or fly a hang glider off the tip of a mountain. Or race an ATV. Or fight a giant demon throwing fireballs at you. Or search an old tomb for a relic. Or deep sea dive an old shipwreck. Or stealthily drop down onto an unsuspecting pirate, and slit his throat, then take the knife and hurl it into the heart of his buddy 20' away. Or dive down a 300' waterfall. Or help some guys stranded on the side of the road fix their vehicle. Or hunt a bear with a bow and arrow. Or have sex with a hot native warrior Queen. Or take on three armored machine gunners. Or creep down a tunnel in the side of a mountain to an old WWII anti-aircraft gun to loot the dead body of an old Japanese soldier, and read the letter he wrote to his 12-yr old daughter in Hiroshima. Or drop C4 in the road and blow it up when the bad guys drive over it. Or get attacked by a shark while taking underwater photos of Manta Rays. Or snipe guys in an enemy compound after sniping their alarm system's control box. Or run down an old cart track deep into a mine to gather treasure. Or climb a 200' high radio tower, then slide down a zip line to a waiting jeep. Or skin a goat to craft a wallet. Or burn down a drug kingpin's drug fields with a flamethrower. Or skydive out of a plane to take on pirates on a beach. Or join an Island Racing League to jam around the turquoise blue surf in a jet ski for money. Or man a .50 cal machine gun as pirates attack you in waves, while a rogue CIA agent struggles to fix his plane.

But... boring? Not even once.

post #18 of 48 Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I want a third bit of island. 2 trophies to go. And I still want more FC3.
With all your describes, I couldn't agree more. It's being so long since I had so much fun with a game.
post #19 of 48 Old 07-10-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Love Far Cry 3, especially liberating the outpost using the sniper rifle. I haven't played for close to a month but I'm about to begin the 27th mission, Fly South.
post #20 of 48 Old 07-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
yep, Far Cry 3 was a wonderful experience. Only game I bothered to Platinum so far this year.
post #21 of 48 Old 07-11-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 88
A friend on the opposite coast sent me his copy of FC3, after playing it almost daily, because he thought I would like it. He didn't know that the sandbox game is not my strong suit. RDR and Sleeping Dogs are the only two I've ever finished, and that's going back to PS2 days. GTA III had terrible controls. GTA IV just became annoying as NPC's were always bothering you to take care of them. I even tried Far Cry 2 when it was a Plus freebie. Sank a bunch of hours in that one and enjoyed it until I opened the southern section of the map, then I hit the wall. Missions were very samey, and you couldn't travel 50 feet without being attacked by roving enemies.

I'm going to give FC3 a real chance because of all the good things I've heard, but it will need to be the right style of game for me to like it. If the game just lets you play without intruding (like RDR and Sleeping Dogs) it will be a winner. Before I start, somebody drop me a little hint like what skill should I start on early, or an objective that's good to take care of first.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #22 of 48 Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

A friend on the opposite coast sent me his copy of FC3, after playing it almost daily, because he thought I would like it. He didn't know that the sandbox game is not my strong suit. RDR and Sleeping Dogs and that's going back to PS2 days. GTA III had terrible controls. GTA IV just became annoying as NPC's were always bothering you to take care of them. I even tried Far Cry 2 when it was a Plus freebie. Sank a bunch of hours in that one and enjoyed it until I opened the southern section of the map, then I hit the wall. Missions were very samey, and you couldn't travel 50 feet without being attacked by roving enemies.

I'm going to give FC3 a real chance because of all the good things I've heard, but it will need to be the right style of game for me to like it. If the game just lets you play without intruding (like RDR and Sleeping Dogs) it will be a winner. Before I start, somebody drop me a little hint like what skill should I start on early, or an objective that's good to take care of first.

Be sure to start hunting animals for leather and crafting as soon as possible. Be sure to scout outposts and use a sniper rifle and shoot animal cages if the contain animals. They will do the work for you.

Let me know what you think?
post #23 of 48 Old 07-11-2013, 12:34 PM

Liked: 16
I'm about 1/3 through the game and loving every minute. Great tip on using crafting early so you can hold more money/guns/items.

post #24 of 48 Old 07-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
i'm still early in the game, just wandering around and crafting stuff. anyways I was on a hang glider and I when I jumped off the hang glider I landed perfectly on a quad then just took off. it was pretty funny.

I don't do online gaming that much, but are there trophies that can only be obtain while playing online?
post #25 of 48 Old 07-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A friend on the opposite coast sent me his copy of FC3, after playing it almost daily, because he thought I would like it. He didn't know that the sandbox game is not my strong suit. RDR and Sleeping Dogs are the only two I've ever finished, and that's going back to PS2 days. GTA III had terrible controls. GTA IV just became annoying as NPC's were always bothering you to take care of them. I even tried Far Cry 2 when it was a Plus freebie. Sank a bunch of hours in that one and enjoyed it until I opened the southern section of the map, then I hit the wall. Missions were very samey, and you couldn't travel 50 feet without being attacked by roving enemies.

I tried to play gta games, but I just can't get into them. RDR and farcry3 on the other hand I think are pretty fun. how did you like sleeping dogs? it looks just like gta in Asia.
post #26 of 48 Old 07-11-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

Be sure to start hunting animals for leather and crafting as soon as possible. Be sure to scout outposts and use a sniper rifle and shoot animal cages if the contain animals. They will do the work for you.

Let me know what you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLefty View Post

I'm about 1/3 through the game and loving every minute. Great tip on using crafting early so you can hold more money/guns/items.

Thank you. I'll update my progress and likes/dislikes as I go. Now, time to kill some critters!

post #27 of 48 Old 07-11-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazed View Post

I tried to play gta games, but I just can't get into them. RDR and farcry3 on the other hand I think are pretty fun. how did you like sleeping dogs? it looks just like gta in Asia.

I didn't think I would care for Sleeping Dogs either, but it pulled me in and kept me entertained throughout. There are a few main reasons. First, I think the controls are excellent. Shooting feels like Uncharted, driving feels like an NFS game, and melee combos are like GoW with punches and kicks. Second, I liked the story and wanted to see how it all turned out. Third reason? The game gives you some things to do, then leaves you to do them whenever you want (probably the most important). I'm hoping FC3 will be along these lines.

post #28 of 48 Old 07-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I didn't think I would care for Sleeping Dogs either, but it pulled me in and kept me entertained throughout. There are a few main reasons. First, I think the controls are excellent. Shooting feels like Uncharted, driving feels like an NFS game, and melee combos are like GoW with punches and kicks. Second, I liked the story and wanted to see how it all turned out. Third reason? The game gives you some things to do, then leaves you to do them whenever you want (probably the most important). I'm hoping FC3 will be along these lines.

that sounds awesome. i'll definitely give it a try when I finish FC3.
post #29 of 48 Old 07-12-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm about to start mission 27 where I fly from the main island to the island to the south, is there a way to return to the main island after I'm done with my missions there? Curious whether I should find all relics, etc before flying over?
post #30 of 48 Old 07-12-2013, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

I'm about to start mission 27 where I fly from the main island to the island to the south, is there a way to return to the main island after I'm done with my missions there? Curious whether I should find all relics, etc before flying over?

yes, definitely, you can access the first island at any point. just fast travel to a location or hope in a boat and go.

the last few missions you might be locked in to do in a sequence, i can't remember, but after you beat the game, you can definitely do anything left on either island.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Far Cry 3 , Far Cry 3 Playstation3 Game Ubisoft

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page