PS3 audio glitches - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-21-2012, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a ps3 i use mainly for blu-ray and occasionally play a game. i have the video wired by hdmi, the audio is by fiber optic. 75& of every movie i watch is flawless in sound, the other 25& i get some major audio glitches (it cutsout every second or so thru the entire movie. i tried swapping my f/o cable, still have the problem. played the same audio glitched movie on my laptop and works flawlessly.

talked to sony rep (your gonna love this), apparently sony KNOWS and is aware of this issue and they have NO fix for it, so i have a 300.00 ps3 unit that can only play certan movied w/o any audio glitches. i have all the updates and all settings are correct.

does anyone have any info as to why his is happening, why Sony rep verifies that they have a problem and why they cant fix it, and should i also throw this unit in the fakin river along with my POS panny plasma that just took a ****. the PS3 has been doing this for years now.

thanks for the help and LOVE the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-21-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I have a PS3 that has never been hooked up in any way other than fiber (I have two systems). I have never had a single glitch in the audio.

Do you have the audio set for LPCM?
post #3 of 17 Old 12-22-2012, 12:22 AM

Liked: 93
When I still ran my PS3 Slim optical I never had a glitching problem in movies, nor do you see a giant thread here talking about such an issue. I would try yet a third cable of different make and new. Order a cheap $3 off of Amazon. If that fails, then I would place it squarely on a physical connector problem. Try wiggling your connection points during a steady glitch. I would not be terribly surprised if it started working when you tilted the Toslink cable at a different angle on the receiver end.

If there was a common Toslink glitch issue, we would know about it. To be blunt, your Sony rep is talking out of his ass. That is of course his job, so you can't be surprised. I am shocked that he is of such poor character that he has chosen to trash-talk his own brand rather than say "I don't know".

I am curious if the movies that fail are dts (768kbps-1.4mbps), therefore of higher bitrate, while the movies that work are Dolby Digital (384-640k). I wonder what happens when you change your Bluray audio settings to stereo Linear PCM (1.4mbps). Again, it would point to a poor physical connection.
post #4 of 17 Old 12-22-2012, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

all my b/r movies are set to output at a 5.1 dts and other accecptable output channels (all have the same end result), as thats the premium sound format that my reciever accecpts. ive swapped out 6 different optic cables, ranging from the elcheapo radio shack to the 50.00 monster optic cable trying this on the same movie that glitched. my ps3 comes from a smoke free, kid free, pet free home and gets used maby 1x a week for movie purposes. its done this since day 1. i do NOT have this issue when playing thru hdmi directly to my plasma (panny tha just took a ****, thanks again panny), but then im negating the whole 5.1 dts sound format and listening to in in "crappy" stereo. ive double checked all the audio settings, less doing a master factory reset if thats even possible. im ready to drop another 150 on a good working b/r player just to avoid this problem. i used to keep a log of all the glitchey b/r movies, but i got pissed and thru it away after speaking with the sony rep. iirc, one movie was the last transformers movie. and on 90% of ALL movies during the begining portions (21st centry fox lion parts) the audio glitches, but thr movie is fine. odd for sure.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-31-2012, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

ok, tried playing Total Recall last night. had the same audio glitches i mentioned above with other movies. i went into the ps3 sound menu and unchecked dts and 5.1 and just played it in PCM. NO audio glitches. what gives? is it the cable? ive swapped out 4 different cables and all had the same result. do i need a better quality cable other than an elcheapo toslink cable im cueerntly running?
post #6 of 17 Old 12-31-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
PCM vs bitstream is how the audio is sent to the receiver. PCM can carry DD and DTS over your Toslink.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

if PCm (48hz) is transmitting a 5.1 dts signal, why does not my reciever dts (blue light) light up and it doesnt really sound like its a 5.1 dts sound field (doesnt sound a crisp an clean)? i bought another toslink cable seeing if the audio glitching went away. it did not. i then wired the toslink out from the tv into the reciever. PCM showed up, and no glitches thru the movie. do i have a bad ps3 or a bad reciever? i have 4 more fiber opic inputs on my reciever and ALL have the same glitches. this i really frustrating and BS if you ask me. i really dont want to buy another 3d b/r player to play the certain d/r movies that dont want to play properly.

update: tried it all ways and im only getting PCM in 2ch. i cant get it to output anything more than a 2ch signal. so either this PS3 is garbage or my receiver is garbage. i manually checked the pcm 5.1 (all 5 varations) and NO sound would come out of the receiver. i i put in automatic, i get sound, but only in the PCM 2ch. im stumped.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-31-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonRR View Post

if PCm (48hz) is transmitting a 5.1 dts signal, why does not my reciever dts (blue light) light up and it doesnt really sound like its a 5.1 dts sound field (doesnt sound a crisp an clean)? i bought another toslink cable seeing if the audio glitching went away. it did not. i then wired the toslink out from the tv into the reciever. PCM showed up, and no glitches thru the movie. do i have a bad ps3 or a bad reciever? i have 4 more fiber opic inputs on my reciever and ALL have the same glitches. this i really frustrating and BS if you ask me. i really dont want to buy another 3d b/r player to play the certain d/r movies that dont want to play properly.
update: tried it all ways and im only getting PCM in 2ch. i cant get it to output anything more than a 2ch signal. so either this PS3 is garbage or my receiver is garbage. i manually checked the pcm 5.1 (all 5 varations) and NO sound would come out of the receiver. i i put in automatic, i get sound, but only in the PCM 2ch. im stumped.

I have the EXACT same issue -- with my PIO 9021k

all of a sudden just getting 2 ch PCM through fiber -- i think it's an issue with the ps3 firmware --- but no one else believes me.
demonRR likes this.

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #9 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

im glad im not the only one with this issue. i tried for over an hour once again messing with different cable inputs, ps3 settings, ect and still non luck in playing DTS thru my receiver when playing Total Recal. iirc transformers 3 was another one, and many many many others. i was on my way to BB last night to buy another BD player and was about to toss this ****** PS3 out the back door into the snow.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I don't think fiber has ever been able to send more than 2ch PCM. If you are using fiber and want 5.1, only option is to bitstream. Turn off all audio options except DD 5.1 and dts 5.1 bitstream and see if you still get audio dropouts. I don't use fiber any more, so I don't know what to expect these days. But before I had an hdmi receiver, I was using fiber and never had a single dropout on any blurays. That was years ago with original fat ps3's.

bg
post #11 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

just did some expensive problem testing. i went and bought a new 3d sony bd player at BB, a new set fiber optic cables, and a new set of HDMI cales. i hooked it all up exactly the sam as my fat ps3, even using the same hdmi and f/o inputs on the tv and rceiver. playiung the SAME movie (total recal) that the ps3 has the audio glitches. absolutely NO (ZERO) audio glitching with the new sony bd player. so bottom line, the sony PS3 is a pile of sheeeeet!!!! when playing 80% of the movies i like to watch. i i didnt play the occasional game on the ps3, that ps3 would be out in my back yard and i would unload a clip from my .45 on it. thats about the only thing its good for at this time.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Hi demonRR, late to your issue but just wonder was PS3 "Audio Multi Output" enabled? If so try turning it off.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

nope, multi-output is turned off. ive got it to play with out any glitching, but that was only in PCM 2ch.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post

I don't think fiber has ever been able to send more than 2ch PCM. If you are using fiber and want 5.1, only option is to bitstream. Turn off all audio options except DD 5.1 and dts 5.1 bitstream and see if you still get audio dropouts. I don't use fiber any more, so I don't know what to expect these days. But before I had an hdmi receiver, I was using fiber and never had a single dropout on any blurays. That was years ago with original fat ps3's.

it worked for me since day 1, across 2 receivers, and 5 different ps3s -- up to the last firmware upgrade then it would ONLY put out 2 channel pcm -- if i selected anything but 2 channel pcm, i would get NO audio.
tried a full reset,and nothing worked short of getting a new receiver.

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #15 of 17 Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

update: watched about 8 more movies. all started out playing in the PS3. 99% of every movie ive ever played since day 1 (iirc), the credits/previews have ALWAYS had audio (5.1 dts) glitching even if the movie audio didnt glitch. out of those same 8 or so recent blu ray movies when played on my newsony bd 3d palyer s590, NO audio glitching during the previews or movie. so bottom line, the PS3 has some serious audio decoding issues going on, and no one has a fix for it.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-11-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I got my first PS3 in 2007- last of the BC 60GB model. It was my only player for games and movies until 2011. In 2011 I bought a slim mark 1 and moved my fatty into semi retirement in the den. In both cases and to this day I have my audio via optical, video over HDMI. I've never experienced an audio problem with BD or DVD playback, including the BD rental copy of Limitless last night. Audio/video wise the PS3 has never given me a minutes trouble.

Since you bought a new BD player recently and had no problems, what cable did you use for audio- optical or HDMI? The answer might explain your problem. Might also help to know what make/model receiver you use.

Just as a heads up, optical will not carry Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master no matter what you do. Gotta have HDMI for those.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #17 of 17 Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

the only thing i changed was the player. i plugged in the new bd player to the existing PS3 cables (hdmi for video and fiber optic for audio), with an audio setting of 5.1 dts. its not the cables nor the receiver imo. if it were the cables, why does the audio only glitch when playing movies on the ps3 and not on the new sony bd player?
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page