PS3 and my new Sony HT-SS380 not displaying Dolby TrueHD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-28-2012, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received a Sony HT-SS380 for Christmas. I have tested out a plethora of movies on my new HT-SS380. However, every movie that I try that says it has Dolby TrueHD, it never shows up on the display panel of the HT-SS380. If I hit display on the remote for my PS3 model CECHK01 or my Sony 3D Blu-ray BDP-S590 it says English Dolby True HD 5.1 ch 48kHz on the TV screen. But on the display of the HT-SS380 it always has Dolby Pro Logic (PL) lit not Dolby TrueHD. Why is this? Both the PS3 and the 3D Blu-ray player are connected via an HDMI cable to the receiver. Should I also connect them to the receiver using an optical cable? Furthermore, what should I set the Audio Output settings on the PS3 to? Should I check all of the boxes? I primarily use the PS3 for everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am newbie when it comes to home theater equipment, but I want to get the most from my equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-28-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Set output to Bitstream if you need the display to state the format. Don't connect an optical cable. It won't make a difference in sound, but your lights will work as you want.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-28-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpharmd View Post

I received a Sony HT-SS380 for Christmas. I have tested out a plethora of movies on my new HT-SS380. However, every movie that I try that says it has Dolby TrueHD, it never shows up on the display panel of the HT-SS380. If I hit display on the remote for my PS3 model CECHK01 or my Sony 3D Blu-ray BDP-S590 it says English Dolby True HD 5.1 ch 48kHz on the TV screen. But on the display of the HT-SS380 it always has Dolby Pro Logic (PL) lit not Dolby TrueHD. Why is this? Both the PS3 and the 3D Blu-ray player are connected via an HDMI cable to the receiver. Should I also connect them to the receiver using an optical cable? Furthermore, what should I set the Audio Output settings on the PS3 to? Should I check all of the boxes? I primarily use the PS3 for everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am newbie when it comes to home theater equipment, but I want to get the most from my equipment.

Are these 3D blurays? I know the PS3 simply can't display 3D and bitstream TrueHD at the same time.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #4 of 5 Old 12-28-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
These are not 3D BDVDs. Can the type of HDMI cable be affecting the output?
post #5 of 5 Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpharmd View Post

These are not 3D BDVDs. Can the type of HDMI cable be affecting the output?

As long as you are getting picture and sound, the HDMI cable is working.

Your model of PS3 (CECHK01) can't bitstream the HD audio codecs. The PS3 will decode them and send them to your receiver as PCM. The audio quality will be exactly the same, but your receiver will not register it as Dolby TrueHD since the PS3 is doing the decoding. Make sure the PS3 is set to output PCM.

Set your other blu-ray player to output bitstream if you want your receiver to say Dolby TrueHD. The sound quality should be identical between the blu-ray player and PS3.

off topic: RPh?
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page