airport extreme and ps3 wired connection - big problems. please help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
all right. i have a PS3 (latest firmware) and an apple airport extreme (latest version, with updated firmware). for the past year, i've always had the ps3 set to wireless. i've never been happy with the speed though - i usually only averaged around 6-8 mbps for download. that's a problem because i subscribe to time warner cable's extreme internet service - on all other devices in my house (all wireless n), i average between 25-30 mbps on the download.

because of this, i switched my ps3 to wired - ran a cat6 cable from the airport extreme to the ps3, and now, my speeds are even worse. I'm how only getting 500-600 kbps (not mbps anymore)on the download, and about 1 mbps upload (i usually get around 4 mbps on the upload).

I've tried disconnecting my cable modem and router, turning everything back on in order, i've manually selected the fastest connection type under wired on the ps3 network config (instead of hitting automatic), but nothing has helped. to confirm the airport extreme wasnt the problem, i ran the same cat6 ethernet cable to my pc and ran the internet on it off the wired connection out of the same port - and i got 30 mbps download.

please help me! im paying good money for internet and i cant play any online games because my speeds on the ps3 are terrible. this doesnt make ay sense! wired should be so much faster!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Not sure what the problem is, but I have also always noticed that the PS3 downloads slower then my internet connection as well. It is very frustrating. I also have an airport extreme hard wired to my PS3, I have heard from other people that the slow speed is inherent to the PS3......

A 1 gig download that takes 10 minutes on my 360 can take upwards of 30 -40 minutes on the ps3.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #3 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
apparently lots of problems with this. spent six hours on phone with apple and sony tonight. both blamed the other company. sony sent me some port forwarding to do in airport utility, but that only helped the download speed out by a slight margin. still only getting 6-8 mbps, not anywhere near the 30 i should be getting. so frustrating.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Those speed ratings are common. I have 50/30 internet, but only get about 6mbps on a good day on that test. Search this forum, there are plenty of threads discussing this.

post #5 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I have an Apple Airport Extreme BaseStation and I'm running it the way you want to--PS3 wired, while all of my other devices (Macbook Pro, Iphone, Ipad, wireless Printer) are run off of the wireless and I'm getting my full bandwidth (30 Mpbs up/30 Mpbs down) on the PS3.

I'm not sure what you've tried, but I do know I experienced something similar when I was (formerly) with AT&T. Both their modem and the Airport Base Station had wireless (wifi) capabilities. I kept getting slow speeds and knocked off of PSN. I discovered that both my modem & my Base Station were trying to allocate my internet and were basically conflicting with each other. I had to put one of the two into "Bridge" mode. The AT&T modem was much harder to put into Bridge mode than the Base Station, so I put the Airport Extreme into bridge mode (I think--this has been several yrs ago--2007) and things seemed to improve dramatically. If you haven't Googled Base Station and "Bridge Mode," I would highly encourage you to try it and see if this is part of your problem.

I've long since ditched AT&T for my service--like you I was never happy with the speeds that I was getting reported by the PS3. The service that I use now is fiberoptic (EPB Fiberoptics) & doesn't use a cable modem. So I just plug the Fiberoptic cable directly into back of the Airport, then I run an ethernet cable from the Airport into the Playstation and it works fine. I haven't looked at my settings since I made the switch about two years ago.

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #6 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

If you are seeing 30/30 on the PS3's test, you are so far the only one I know of that sees anywhere near that kind of speed.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Yup. I've worked REALLY hard on getting my connection rock-solid stable. I've gone through 4 ISPs and countless websites trying to get my PS3 Internet connection speed to match what I get according to SpeedTest.net.

I'm at work, but I'll provide pics from my iPhone when I get home. Last PS3 Internet test was 30 down and 28/29 up. biggrin.gif

post #8 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlock View Post

Yup. I've worked REALLY hard on getting my connection rock-solid stable. I've gone through 4 ISPs and countless websites trying to get my PS3 Internet connection speed to match what I get according to SpeedTest.net.

I'm at work, but I'll provide pics from my iPhone when I get home. Last PS3 Internet test was 30 down and 28/29 up. biggrin.gif

I guess the real question is why does it take such hard work to get a good rock solid connection from a PS3 when every other single internet capable device is getting max speeds?

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #9 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

If there's a solution, I'm all ears. But 6mbps each way is plenty good for gaming.

What's even worse is my Vita downloads on the same network. I'm lucky to get 2mbps down, even on my wide N. My iPad will get 50 down, but the Vita is at 2...
post #10 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, finally at home:

1st pic is for the my set-up (ignore the tangle of wires--haven't had a chance to clean everything up). Apple Airport Extreme is the white box @ the bottom of the pic.

The 2nd image is for the PS3 Internet Connection Test:

The 3rd image is a close-up of the PS3 Internet Connection (focusing on the speed):

Lastly, I forgot--my ISP did a FREE speed bump for everyone, so my connection is now 50Mpbs/50 Mpbs up and downstream. This is actually the 3rd speed-boost they've done. I started out at 15/15, then they bumped us up to 30/30, and the most recent bump was to 50/50 (WITHOUT a price increase). Of course, those lucky sons of guns who could afford the 50/50 tier from the outset are now at 100/100 for the same price, but I'm not complaining--50/50 means I NEVER have to worry about Netflix pausing mid-stream or downgrading the signal and that's worth the price of admission right there.

post #11 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

I guess the real question is why does it take such hard work to get a good rock solid connection from a PS3 when every other single internet capable device is getting max speeds?

Unfortunately, I can't answer that one. Slow connection speeds via PSN have been a perennial topic on this board even before I joined in '07 (I don't post a lot, but I've read this board EXTENSIVELY since I joined). There was a very informative thread that talked about the type of servers that Sony used, but I've long since forgotten who started it. You'll have to a search using the search feature to find it. This also isn't the first thread talking about problems with the Airport Extreme & cable modems & connecting to PSN. There should be at least 1 other one, maybe 2 or 3.

What sparked my memory was the O.P.'s comment about SUPER SLOW speeds, sub 1Mb speeds. I had that EXACT same problem when I had AT&T's DSL modem until I put the Airport into "Bridge" Mode. But even then I could only manage about 6Mpbs of my 12 that I was getting from AT&T. When the EPB Fiberoptics launched in my city, they sent me an email saying that it was ready for my area, and I signed up literally the next day. It's been rock-solid every since. The ONLY time I've ever had a problem (knock on wood) is when EPB (our local utility) upgraded to smart meters and replaced our meter. It took a couple of days for the speed to stabilize--it was back to down to AT&T speeds 5/6 Mpbs. But once it stabilized, I haven't had a problem.

post #12 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Back to the topic at hand:

O.P., here is a link that explains how to set your Airport to Bridge mode. I would google your Cable modem first, however. It may be easier to put it into bridge mode than the Airport Base Station.

This may NOT solve your issue, but it is what worked for me when I had sub-1mbps speeds using AT&T's DSL modem.

post #13 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

My PS3's upload speeds sometimes drop under 1mbps.

And unfortunately, both Amazon and Netflix can still go to SD, buffer, etc. even at 50/30 speed, even on my HTPC and other devices that don't have bandwidth issues. Let's just say I can tell when THEY are at their bandwidth limit. smile.gif
post #14 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

I understand. But I never use the services at peak times--I don't have that type of schedule. Last thing I watched on Netflix was Skyline (meh), spread out over 2 days, 5-6 pm on a Wednesday & finished it up very early Sunday morning (6-7 am).

I guess on Friday/Saturday nights, I probably would see it straining under the load, but my schedule is so crazy that I'm never watching it when everyone else on my Friend's List has it up, so (for me) no pauses/buffering. The only annoying thing is that if I leave it paused on a scene for a long time, it will complete what it has in the buffer when I start it back, then go to black. For me to get it to resume reliably, I have back out to the episode's menu screen. Then when I tell it to play, it will resume correctly. I watched the entire Netflix catalog of Top Gear, and it drove me nuts that I couldn't pause and resume it exactly where I wanted unless I backed out to the menu screen. (This was using the Apple TV Netflix app, not the PS3 one, though.)

post #15 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 12:05 AM

Liked: 10
I have no idea if this issue has been resolved or if I'm just Necroing a thread.
Literally just had the same issue on 2 PS3s at two separate houses. Just set up a static IP address about 20 places higher than a connected device. For example: a devices IP address is 192.168.1.7 so set yours to 192.168.1.27 , Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 , Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8 , Alt DNS: 8.8.4.5 . Should work like a charm.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 08:12 AM

Liked: 10
So, I have the exact thing going on, except setting up a static IP address has not helped at all. I posted in the apple support communities.

Terrible speeds on my PS3, like 1-3Mbps Download. Here is my setup : Comcast Business Class 12 Mbps, dl, and 4 upload. Everything is connected via ethernet except for my Iphone 5, and Macbook Air. Connection is as follows Airport Extreme-Motora Surfboard Modem. Asus W7 PC to extreme. Connected to Trendnet TEG-S80g 8 gig unmanaged switch. Other devices Include Receiver Onkyo-818, Panasonic ZT60, Philips Hue, PS3, XBOX 360.

The PS3 is the only thing having issues, yet it was fine before when used an onld Linksys WRT-54G an old wireless G router. What boggles my mind is that this is using ethernet with a more than ample internet connection. I used to get at least 19-23 with the Linksys over ethernet, now 1-3, meaning no HD streaming on Netflix?

I have tried setting up a static IP address, with no success. I have even chenged the DNS servers to more favorable options. I also reset the modem as well, all yielding the same results. I've tried disconnecting and resetting the modem, router restarting computers.

Please Help!
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page