Web browser access to the PSN store and remote PS3 / Vita auto-downloading is now available - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Link to the U.S. store. In case you didn't know, PayPal is now available as an option for PSN purchases.

~~~

*** APRIL 2013 UPDATE ***

Remote reloading and installation is now live for the PS3 and Vita! You can remotely select anything in your download history from the SEN website and have your unit download and install it. Here are the rules:

If you have PS+ with auto patching enabled, your system will turn on at its normally scheduled time, check for updates and dload/install any file you had in the queue before going back to standby.

If you don't have PS+ there are two options. You can wait until you turn on your system and it will dload the file automatically in 5-10 minutes, or you can leave your PS3 turned on before you select a dload file and it will then automatically start the process.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Very, very cool.
post #3 of 34 Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
It's about time they do this.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #4 of 34 Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Depending on how well it works, I may switch to it exclusively over the sluggish, click-happy native store app. I liked the old PSN store a lot better.
reddice likes this.

post #5 of 34 Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Thumbs up!

bg
post #6 of 34 Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM

Liked: 93
Welcome to 2008, Sony! smile.gif
Chairman7w likes this.
post #7 of 34 Old 01-14-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

A patch is available for the new PSN Store app. It improves the sluggish browsing quite a bit, which was my main complaint.

post #8 of 34 Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Is it nice and fast now? The layout in the new store is vastly improved over the old one. A web store is a good next step, as long as it works well with mobiles.

Then all they need to do is make it so that it starts background downloading automatically instead of the tedious manual process it is now.

It'd also be pretty cool if there was an option to de-clutter the store from all these PSP, Vita and avatar nonsense.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #9 of 34 Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
How about they move the 100 new-avatars-and-themes to a folder...
and alphabatize "whats new"

It appears to be in jumbled order now. RockBand songs used to be close to each other. Now they are all over the place. One song then 3 pages down.... another song.

Is this new display order based on date submitted or something ?
post #10 of 34 Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I actually miss the old store, it was simple and clear. The new one is slow and just seems jumbled.

post #11 of 34 Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM

Liked: 10
I don’t like the new PSN store front, its slower to get into and for some reason my PS3 media remote doesn’t work all the time (but the controller does).
post #12 of 34 Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Is it nice and fast now? The layout in the new store is vastly improved over the old one. A web store is a good next step, as long as it works well with mobiles.

Then all they need to do is make it so that it starts background downloading automatically instead of the tedious manual process it is now.

It'd also be pretty cool if there was an option to de-clutter the store from all these PSP, Vita and avatar nonsense.
Still not quite as "snappy" as the old app, but a much better improvement. You can actually waste time browsing the store now without waiting for pages to appear. To avoid the "PSP, Vita and avatar nonsense", you scroll down to Games-->PS3 Games-->New Releases. That way you only have see a page with new PS3 games and nothing more.

The store as a whole has more layers for custom browsing like this, and you can filter further by going to the tabs and selecting options like price ranges, ABC order and/or game genre, etc. There is a lot more clicking as you browse, but you can generate more precise search results than before.

post #13 of 34 Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I am not trying to start a Live vs PSN war, but I wish they took a play out of the XBL playbook and let you do stuff in sections. They can put demos in a section, trailers in a section, and PSN titles in a section. Then I can just go and look at what I want. And why do they only update content every tuesday? It's dumb that if a trailer comes out in the middle of the week, you have to wait until next week to possibly see it on the store.

post #14 of 34 Old 01-15-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Still not quite as "snappy" as the old app, but a much better improvement. You can actually waste time browsing the store now without waiting for pages to appear. To avoid the "PSP, Vita and avatar nonsense", you scroll down to Games-->PS3 Games-->New Releases. That way you only have see a page with new PS3 games and nothing more.

The store as a whole has more layers for custom browsing like this, and you can filter further by going to the tabs and selecting options like price ranges, ABC order and/or game genre, etc. There is a lot more clicking as you browse, but you can generate more precise search results than before.

I tried it yesterday and honestly it seemed the same to me. Other than the excessively long initial load, I never really had much problem with it. It's not as snappy as I'd like, and it still isn't, but the organization and filtering (as you point out) is so vastly superior than the old store that it takes me less time to find what I want than before.

I guess I just want it to be less clicky. I want everything out of the way of my ability to browse and buy PS3 games. I don't own a vita or PSP, and I have no idea why those games are even there in the PS3 store. It's as if Microsoft trying to sell windows phone apps on the 360, it just doesn't make sense and gets in the way. Even though it doesn't clutter up the PS3 section, it still clutters up the plus section.

It'd be cool if you could save searches/filters. So I can click one button and see every PS3 game that's new, free or discounted.

post #15 of 34 Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
As of two days ago, the Store still seems pretty slow to me after the patch. In fact, it seems slower than during the first couple of weeks after it launched.

A web-based store will be great, because then I can bookmark a few key pages or searches. It would also be nice if it added a Wish List tool, that way I can easily track content for which I'm waiting on price drops/sales.
post #16 of 34 Old 01-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Here's a link to the EU web store. I'm guessing this is pretty much what we're going to get to start.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/home/games
post #17 of 34 Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

This is what that site returns on my iPhone:

The Sony Entertainment Network Store is not currently supported by this browser.

Bravo, Sony.

post #18 of 34 Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ca/home/games

Web store is up in Canada, but doesn't support Safari or Vita browser. I've read that Chrome works fine though.

Hmmm... just updated Chrome on iOS and it still doesn't work (maybe only the desktop version works?).
post #19 of 34 Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Nice find. It wasn't working a couple days ago, it seems to work well in Firefox (desktop) now. Signing in shows the $20 I had in my wallet.

Was there something about it downloading directly to your PS3? I selected a demo and went through the whole shopping cart thing, but it didn't mention anything about downloading it.

I'm not a PS+ subscriber anymore, so maybe you need that.
post #20 of 34 Old 01-24-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipz View Post

Nice find. It wasn't working a couple days ago, it seems to work well in Firefox (desktop) now. Signing in shows the $20 I had in my wallet.

Was there something about it downloading directly to your PS3? I selected a demo and went through the whole shopping cart thing, but it didn't mention anything about downloading it.

I'm not a PS+ subscriber anymore, so maybe you need that.

Sony said auto-downloading will be a future enhancement.
post #21 of 34 Old 01-24-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The U.S. store is up!

I logged in and it shows the $$$ remaining in my wallet as well as indicators on any purchases I have made. It is very fast with a lot of sorting options that, unlike the PSN store, allows you to combine several filter terms to get exactly what you want. For instance, I can have it show me all of the new PS3 and Vita games released sorted by prices low-to-high. Using the mouse to make selections is faster than the pad, especially with the scroll wheel.

There are a few glitches though. Sorting with some options removes all other filters at times (i.e. "last 7 days"). Also, while I do see an indicator on titles that I have purchased, it does not show anything on games that I have tagged for free download through PS+ unlike the PSN store. Lastly, too bad Safari is not supported (no iPhone purchasing at this time).

Still, this is a great, great option for future purchasing.

post #22 of 34 Old 01-24-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Awesome news! By clicking on Account, I was finally able to add funds via PayPal. Impulse buys while at work, here I come! lol
Quote:
Also, while I do see an indicator on titles that I have purchased, it does not show anything on games that I have tagged for free download through PS+ unlike the PSN store. Lastly, too bad Safari is not supported (no iPhone purchasing at this time).

This is odd. There's no indicator for titles I recently purchased from the 13 in '13 sale, though they do appear in Transaction History.
post #23 of 34 Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ca/home/games

Web store is up in Canada, but doesn't support Safari or Vita browser. I've read that Chrome works fine though.

Hmmm... just updated Chrome on iOS and it still doesn't work (maybe only the desktop version works?).
Using Safari 6.0.2, I was able to "buy" a free game on my Mac. Maybe less than a half-hour ago. And yes, I'm In Canada.
Now if only they'll let us Remote Play the (new) PS3 store on our Vita's. rolleyes.gif
post #24 of 34 Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, it's the mobile platforms not supported yet, but they will be.

post #25 of 34 Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Apple phones and tablets can now access the PSN store!

post #26 of 34 Old 02-28-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Good because the new store is driving me nuts; it's so laggy and slow.

500 gigs FTW.
post #27 of 34 Old 02-28-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

No, it's still slow and terrible. I couldn't hate it more.

500 gigs FTW.
post #28 of 34 Old 03-01-2013, 04:58 PM

My only problem thus far is after putting a game in my cart from my PC, then going home to purchase it on the PS3 and the cart was empty. And as you pointed the sorting filter is a little wonky.
post #29 of 34 Old 04-25-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The first post has been updated with info on remote downloading for the PS3 and Vita. It's now up and running.

Using my phone I went to the store to queue up a PS+ free 1-hour trial of that new WWII fighter pilot game that was released this week. We'll see how it goes.

post #30 of 34 Old 04-26-2013, 04:59 AM

Liked: 16
If I have Plus but don't have a Vita, can i still buy the Plus Free games for Vita and queue them for later download?
*well i do have a Vita, but I'm wondering about the future scenarion with a PS4 - since I have 2 years of Plus queued up, and who knows if I'll get a PS4 right away or not, can I still get the initial free PS4 Plus games?
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page