Remote Playstation...Playing How To: My setup for controlling ps3 remotely - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 02-16-2013, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
**UPDATED...OFTEN.*

PLAYING PS3 IN DIFFERENT ROOMS
Using a USB balun, the controller and display can be extended, in my case about 140'.

HOUSE:
PS3 HDMI OUT => 2x1 HDMI Splitter
Splitter HDMI OUT 1=> Local Display
PS3 OPTICAL=>Surround Reciever

SHOP(Seperate Bulding):
Splitter HDMI OUT 2 => Single Cat5 balun => Remote Display in Shop
Remote Display in Shop => Headphone out to analog stereo reciever

**For the Controller:
Monoprice passive USB 1.1 over Cat 5 balun (kind of a whip or pigtail)
2 Aftermarket Wired Controllers (Afterglow from WallyWorld)
Cheap USB hub(power unplugged, running passively)

PS3=>USB cat5 balun=>USB Hub=>2 controllers

**TIP: SIXAXIS controllers need BlueTooth even when connected via USB. Wired controllers aren't limited by wireless range.

**Both the HDMI and USB Baluns are two Cat6 runs, about 140' through burried conduit to a seperate building

**TIP: When multiple audio out is enabled, the PS3 outputs audio through all outputs not selected in sound settings as 2CH stereo. IE Optical can be used for digital audio and HDMI for stereo, as well as analogs, as in my case.

PROBLEMS:
-NO WAY TO TURN IT ON REMOTELY! The SIXAXIS work because they have a battery. Wired controllers need USB bus power and a signal to work, so with the playstation off they are usless. Currently experimenting with WOL, but short of other Sony products with Remote Play, im not sure about this one...
-Hub when powered froze ps3. Sometimes have to plug controller into balun first before its recognized. Could be because its a chinese hub
-Controller freaks out every now and again, particularly when button mashing. Took out about 10' service loop and seemed to resolve. Haven't had it happen again yet after testing. I'll check the cable markers and post a footage.
-Connection for controller drops and restablishes sometimes. Just pauses games so minor annoyance. Friend has same balun same problem. Susplect balun.
-Need better soulution for distributing analog auido other than using tv outputs.
-720p fails to display on remote tv sometimes when loading games. local dispaly works fine all the time. Ever heard of Sansui TVs? me niether. HDMI = HARDLY DOES MEDIA INTERFACE
-USB 2.0 devices will not work. Guess the 1.1 balun chockes down the ps3's usb bus. Move camera won't play nicely with balun. Looking into active baluns with hubs, have to get everything up to 2.0.

All in all being able to pause my game to go somewhere else and continue it is pretty cool. Controller works flawlessly with one player two player is sketchy but its a work in progress. Great interface for my shared media, Netflix, etc not to mention full 1080p Blu-Ray movies on two dispalys .......

**TIP: Youtube is alot easier to use when paired with your phone through leanback. You can use your phone to find videos and play them back on your PS3 using your wireless connection.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page