Forum Jump: 
 377Likes

post #271 of 2901 Old 06-14-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Here are some screens I took this morning while playing the Alpha build.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=8db4a9d941
tampabuc likes this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2901 Old 06-14-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Another game came to mind for me while playing the alpha and I cannot believe no one has made any comparisons to it yet.

Metroid Prime.

The flying to different planets. The great atmosphere. The dark creepy interiors. Definitely brings me back. Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games ever so that's a good thing.
post #273 of 2901 Old 06-14-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Well this was interesting. I played it for a few hours today and my character reached the max level in the Alpha. It definitely reminded me of Halo. With the controls, movements, and the way everything looked and felt. I did like it but as someone mentioned before, it got old fast. But I guess that had more to do with the small area that the alpha is limited to. I would expect the beta and the final to be a much more expansive area to explore. It looked nice and the audio seemed top notch too.
tampabuc likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #274 of 2901 Old 06-14-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing they need to change is move the Emotes off of the Dpad. The Dpad should be you used for weapon selecting while out on Planets. Once you are back in the Tower the Dpad could be used for Emotes.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #275 of 2901 Old 06-14-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

But then how would you dance for someone you come across during your travels?

When I first ran across this I had no idea what was going on. Some guy was dancing. I didn't realize until later that the D-Pad had several options to choose from. I personally see no need for them, but it reminded me of a couple of games I tried on PC in the early 2000's, when I still used PCs for games.

LED DLP

post #276 of 2901 Old 06-14-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
Another game came to mind for me while playing the alpha and I cannot believe no one has made any comparisons to it yet.

Metroid Prime.

The flying to different planets. The great atmosphere. The dark creepy interiors. Definitely brings me back. Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games ever so that's a good thing.
Bungie and 343 picked up a lot of talent from Retro Studios a few years back. Halo 4 had a lot of stuff that was lifted right from Metroid Prime. (Sadly the locked 60fps wasn't one of them)
post #277 of 2901 Old 06-14-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 199
the open world adventure is not bad, this game is 100% co-op, otherwise just feels so boring and empty. PvP is eh so far, but it's an alpha so I'll give it time. Wish the ships were 100% controllable, seems like a waste. I'm concerned about the quests though, seems to be just a means of masking the typical leveling grind. Used the same mission drop 3x but each were different missions.

Fire team tactics could use some variety, feels like all you do is just spend time in cover.

Will say I am getting more excited for the beta, to see what is added/improved.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #278 of 2901 Old 06-14-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Did anybody else get a slight Fallout 3 vibe from the outside area in Old Russia ?

Kinda reminded me of the wastelands a wee bit.
post #279 of 2901 Old 06-14-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Anyone want a alpha code? I have a extra. Pm me.
post #280 of 2901 Old 06-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
Peter Dinklage being the robot/orb thing is great. I didn't know this going in and all I could envision is Tyrion Lannister speaking into a microphone piloting this like its a drone.
This was such a great surprise. I'm sold on this game for his involvement alone. Alpha is impressive so far.

Last edited by tampabuc; 06-14-2014 at 09:13 PM.
post #281 of 2901 Old 06-14-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
Peter Dinklage being the robot/orb thing is great. I didn't know this going in and all I could envision is Tyrion Lannister speaking into a microphone piloting this like its a drone.
This was such a great surprise. I'm sold on this game for his involvement alone. Alpha is impressive so far.
I'm back and forth with this game. There is potential here for it, but long term I see myself not playing long. Now if it was Cross Platform that may be a different story.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #282 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I played about 2.5 hours yesterday. I enjoyed it for the most part but agree on the missions being masked as grinding. I have never really played an RPG or MMO for very long as I just don't have the time lately to invest tons of time. I got confused at the tower with what to do and where to go. My own fault I suppose for not reading about the game at all before jumping in. The doors? in the middle of the Tower were closed so I could not get in that part and it gave no indication on how to open those up or if I were suppose to. I got my character to level 6 i think and then gave up. I assume there are only 2 places to go on earth?? Seems after I did some missions no more destinations opened...but maybe I didnt do enough.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #283 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Played about 3 hrs so far. I don't have ps+ so it got boring fast. I do like the feel of the weapons and the special moves. The graphics are outstanding but the 3rd person character animation and vehicle riding seems a little stiff though.

I think the real game will be a blast. Tons more loot and areas to explore. It's halo and borderlands combined pretty much.

I haven't played with a friend yet but I'm sure that will make it even better
post #284 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

The areas are more limited in the alpha. I hope with the Beta that they have all the areas open to explore. That was one thing I noticed with the Alpha. That there was just not enough area to explore. But it is an Alpha so that is to be expected.

LED DLP

post #285 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Cannot shake the Borderlands vibe. I know there will be more to the game but it just is not there yet. Certainly fun and I am looking forward to it.
I was amazed at how well it looked and played on my Vita!

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #286 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark69 View Post
I played about 2.5 hours yesterday. I enjoyed it for the most part but agree on the missions being masked as grinding. I have never really played an RPG or MMO for very long as I just don't have the time lately to invest tons of time. I got confused at the tower with what to do and where to go. My own fault I suppose for not reading about the game at all before jumping in. The doors? in the middle of the Tower were closed so I could not get in that part and it gave no indication on how to open those up or if I were suppose to. I got my character to level 6 i think and then gave up. I assume there are only 2 places to go on earth?? Seems after I did some missions no more destinations opened...but maybe I didnt do enough.
I think the doors you're talking about aren't actually doors. That area is not accessible. If you're talking about the same place that confused me the first time I went to the tower. There was a waypoint for an area and it led you straight from the starting point?
There are stairs that go down and lead you to all the class specific "trainers." I didn't see the stairs the first time as I went around to all the other vendors before being led to that point.

The loot system is very reminiscent of WoW.

It definitely has that MMO addicting loot structure. I might be convinced now to pre-order, I did have fun exploring the open area. The 1 strike that you can play seems overly difficult. The bosses take forever to kill, the endless waves of bad guys. This is also very WoW like.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Last edited by Yrd; 06-15-2014 at 10:56 AM.
post #287 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Never played wow but I feel you, it's got that kill one more guy hook like borderlands which I'm sure is similar to wow. If the game is truly as open world as they say I'm in...
post #288 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

The looting is similar in that you have to get reputation with a certain faction to buy the better items. I know this isn't in the alpha, but there are plants that you can harvest that will be for crafting items. The dungeons (strike) are all MMO inspired.

The first time I played, I saw no other people. But that night I played the strike with a random group, then went back to tower and there were a lot of people there. It's all MMO like. It's more MMO than borderlands really. It's visually similar to borderlands, if you set aside the art style differences.

I found a couple ?? enemies in the explorable areas. I couldn't damage the one, and the other(first one I encountered), I saw ?? and ran. Because that is also MMO like, and if you see that, you should know not to mess with it.

I'm wondering if they have plans to implement microtransactions. They seem to want to make this game last for a long time. Keeping it up for that long can't be very lucrative.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #289 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not a huge fan of the Peter Dinklage voice work. I love the guy in Game of Thrones, but he just sounds really corny in this game. He's not doing an English voice, and I think if you're going to get Dinklage, might as well let him use his English voice, because with him talking in a more American accent, he just sounds like a misc guy.

Also, I thought that the dialogue was extremely cheesy and corny in certain parts. I was actually cringing a bit when I heard some of the phrases.
post #290 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 03:42 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the Peter Dinklage voice work. I love the guy in Game of Thrones, but he just sounds really corny in this game. He's not doing an English voice, and I think if you're going to get Dinklage, might as well let him use his English voice, because with him talking in a more American accent, he just sounds like a misc guy.

Also, I thought that the dialogue was extremely cheesy and corny in certain parts. I was actually cringing a bit when I heard some of the phrases.
I had the same reaction. Wasn't really on board with it, after I heard some of the dialogue.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #291 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I was very skeptical about this game going into the alpha but, after playing it the past few days it at least has me looking forward to the beta and exploring the game more.
post #292 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Much to my surprise, I received a email invite to try the alpha yesterday so I installed the game and gave the various modes a whirl. The more I played, the less interested I became and right now I don't see myself buying this game.

I played all the available missions but found them ((primarily the one where you're supposed to take out the large tank called a Devil) to be far too long with ridiculously overpowered waves of enemies and practically non-existent ammo reserves to be found in the zones. I know this is just a work in progress alpha but the balance got frustrating after a while and I noticed a lot of players were dropping out of the co-op missions during my sessions after repeated one hit kills (and just about everybody was Level 7).

I tried a little bit of the Crucible's competitive multiplayer (6 on 6 capture and hold) and like all my other MP experiences I found it too frantic and chaotic for my tastes. I don't have the greatest of reflexes so I've never excelled at the competitive MP part of games like this and I also lose interest very quickly. I saw nothing here that would change that mindset.

Graphically I was underwhelmed. After loading up the first solo mission (where you kill the Wizard) I decided to get on my vehicle and just explore the environment for a while. I found the visuals to be quite coarse lacking that polished 1080p look of other shooters on the PS4. As a self-admitted graphics whore, I am also disappointed that all the environments in the alpha consist of your garden variety abandoned, run down, rooms that we've seen a million times with absolutely no interactivity to them at all. Overall, I'm disappointed with the look and architecture in the alpha.

I'll be curious to see how or if the overall story is integrated into these online co-op missions. For me, a well told story is a critical element of just about every videogame I buy these days and I hope there's more to the narrative here than some uninteresting dialog spoken by my ghost as I progress thru the levels.

The more I play the more I see Bungie's unbalanced gameplay habits from their Halo days popping up again, right down to the Flood (now called the Hive instead).

As I said, I know this is just an alpha and there is a lot of work to be done before the final game, and I will be curious to see how it all progresses, but based on this first look, this is not a game I find myself particularly interested in.
FrankJ.Cone likes this.
post #293 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes. I noticed some of the missions required my character to be much higher than the level 8 max that you get with the Alpha. I will wait until I play the beta to really decide how much I like the game.

LED DLP

post #294 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Alpha's almost over, but here's a nice little easter egg that I ran across on Saturday, but wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong because I couldn't defeat them--now I think it was a nice little easter egg on Bungie's part (either that or they were trolling us!)

They are called Hallowed Knights & Hallowed Acolytes. They exist at the bottom of the open exploration area. There are (at least) 2 shed-like buildings that have stairs going down. There are two nearly invincible enemies down there that are crazy powerful. I found a heavy weapon that had 96 Attack and it did only 1 pt of damage to these enemies. It took my Lvl 8 Warlock down in ΒΌ health with one hit. Killed my Level 6 Hunter outright with 1 hit. Level 8 Nova bomb made no difference (neither did a lvl 6 Golden Gun)

Based on the Lvl 8 level cap, I'm pretty sure they weren't meant to be taken out by us, but it was a nice little surprise. The AI on those things is pretty consistent. They will NOT come outside. I tried to coax one out but it only came part way up the steps once--and that was when I enticed another player to follow me down to see what would happen if we teamed up (it wasn't pretty--the beast took me out with one hit, I respawned outside, made my way back down, but by that down my companion--a lowly level 5--had bit the dirt. I was reviving him, but he respawned himself and did NOT head back down there.

I'd love to get some of those dancing lvl 8's down there, but most of them don't even know the thing exists. They think Septkis Prime or one of the Wizards on Legendary are the hardest things in the alpha, but it isn't. So if you want to try your mettle against "something wicked this way comes," grab your rifle and head down there. You might see me down there getting taken out in 1 or 2 hits.

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog

Last edited by shadowlock; 06-15-2014 at 06:56 PM. Reason: typos
post #295 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes I ran into those. There was no way I could ever come close to defeating them by myself. I would have needed to be in a group to have any chance. Or have a much higher character.

LED DLP

post #296 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Found another area like that: The Grottos

If you find the area where you have to have your AI companion hack the 3 layer security grid and you have to defeat wave after wave until it is finished. Once you find that area (I tried it in free roam area--didn't try it during the Septkis Prime mission), if you go down where the train tracks are and see where the green spiky minerals are, there is a cavern that spirals down and leads to the Grotto Hive. Again the draw is nearly invincible enemies. The Hive this time, but with question marks (???) where their level numbers should be. 6th lvl Hunter's scout rifle did 0 damage, while Golden Gun ability did 2 points of damage (it once did 338 on one of the lvl 2 dregs for a 1 hit kill topside).

If the beta lets you upgrade higher than level 8 (which i think it will based on some of the comments in interviews about the beta being the starting part on your journey to create a legendary character), I can't wait to clear some of those areas out.

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #297 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Those were the ?? I was talking about.

In MMO games ?? is the level of the bad guy, and you are probably 10 levels below it, so you can't even assess it's level.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #298 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Hopefully Bungie adds a proper map for the beta (unless i missed it), exploration got a little confusing not knowing where the boundaries were.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #299 of 2901 Old 06-15-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems Neogaf agrees with my Peter Dinklage opinion:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=837845

I'm telling you, some of his lines are downright embarrassing. I mean, it almost sounds like a spoof or joke. It's like he just didn't give a crap about his job or he was directed very, very poorly. Neogaf is so upset about it, they are trying to get some attention on it, with the hopes that Bungie can improve it before release. Maybe get Dinklage back in the the voice booth and convince him to give a rats azz about his performance.
post #300 of 2901 Old 06-16-2014, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
It was fun, it was familiar (to a few titles) and it shows promise. Seems like it may be a bit too grand in its design. Bungee added all these types of gaming (From Halo, Borderlands and Defiance) but it still feels like Halo. Post Titanfall it honestly feels like slogging through molasses.
tampabuc likes this.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Destiny

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page