Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Seems Neogaf agrees with my Peter Dinklage opinion:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=837845

I'm telling you, some of his lines are downright embarrassing. I mean, it almost sounds like a spoof or joke. It's like he just didn't give a crap about his job or he was directed very, very poorly. Neogaf is so upset about it, they are trying to get some attention on it, with the hopes that Bungie can improve it before release. Maybe get Dinklage back in the the voice booth and convince him to give a rats azz about his performance.
I don't even know who that is. But I wasn't particularly pleased with the voice used for the little robot companion. It just didn't seem right. Maybe I thought it would have been better with a womans voice? But then maybe that would be too much like Halo

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Quote:

I'm telling you, some of his lines are downright embarrassing. I mean, it almost sounds like a spoof or joke. It's like he just didn't give a crap about his job or he was directed very, very poorly. Neogaf is so upset about it, they are trying to get some attention on it, with the hopes that Bungie can improve it before release. Maybe get Dinklage back in the the voice booth and convince him to give a rats azz about his performance.
I don't even know who that is. But I wasn't particularly pleased with the voice used for the little robot companion. It just didn't seem right. Maybe I thought it would have been better with a womans voice? But then maybe that would be too much like Halo
It's the little guy from Game Of Thrones, you'd have to watch the show to be excited.

There is a thread on GAF critiquing Dinklage's voice acting for the robot. Some people feel that Bungie has yet to apply an AI/Robot sounding filter to it. Either way, I think he is purposefully sounding dull, monotoned, and void of emotion because that's how an artificial intelligence would be, void of emotion. I think they do need to put a filter on it to a degree to give it that synthesized artificial feel.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #303 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To be fair, one of the theories presented in that thread is that there may be a synthesized filter added to it, and if not, he is still representing an artificial intelligence and not a human being. So dull and emotionless would technically be accurate. Although, in video games Claptrap and GlaDOS were pretty remarkable colorful artificial intelligence creations.

Dinklage has proven to be top notch with GoT this season, some of the best acting on the small and big screen conveyed in simple scenes with only dialog. For it to be done the way it is in Destiny, it has to be under purposeful direction. I think it's fair to wait for the final and complete product to see where it goes before assuming it was just ****** work by Dinklage.
tampabuc and Arutha_conDoin like this.

post #304 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Bungie's Destiny

From what I've heard of Peter Dinklage (just watching trailers and clips on YouTube), he sounds fine. He's monotone and very annunciated, just how I figured an AI robot would sound. Did anyone not see 2001: A Space Odyssey or Moon?

But the internet loves to complain about things that aren't broken.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection

Last edited by Big Brad; 06-16-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: spelling
post #305 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Is this about the random voice that comes in at certain points? I've noticed it a few times when going into a new area or something similar. It doesn't bother me too much to be honest. Sorta feels like I'm playing a narrated story. I definitely get a combo Halo/ME/Kotor feel to the game though. I wasn't sure how I'd respond to it once I started playing but I actually kinda like it now. More depth than I expected. Not nearly as Borderlands-like as I was led to believe with some of the previews I've read. How much do we get to play in the Alpha?
post #306 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 10:15 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 192
It's just the Russia zone, that has some unmarked boundaries that you can't access. A single dungeon (what they call a strike), the home base and a PVP area.

Max level you can reach is 8.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #307 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Guess Bungie doesn't want us to leave yet:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/...s-experiments/

https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/478431903716896769

Anyone log back in yet?? Notice any changes?

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #308 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
Guess Bungie doesn't want us to leave yet:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/...s-experiments/

https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/478431903716896769

Anyone log back in yet?? Notice any changes?
Yup--logged in this morning to take a 2nd character to max level. Logging in now to try uo the 3rd class and it says:

Pardon our dust!
We're conducting scale and service tests today.
You might experience delays or disconnects.
Thank you for helping us to improve Destiny!

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #309 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I finally got a chance to play this for about an hour last night, and I can't say that I'm terribly impressed so far. I did a handful of the missions, which felt very much like Borderlands (as mentioned many times in here). The problem is that the missions were rather boring and didn't seem to serve much purpose. They all seemed to be "go find this guy or this object." Rinse and repeat.

I know that running in mud is a common complaint against Halo, but it seemed even worse here. And I hate clicking the left analogue stick to run. Very awkward.

In terms of graphics, this feels like a last-gen game with a resolution bump. Regarding audio, I recognized many of the sounds effects pulled straight from the Halo bucket.

I didn't get a chance to play MP and I never ran into any random players during the missions, so maybe there is some depth there that I didn't get to experience. Obviously this is just an Alpha, but as far as first impressions go I really didn't get sucked into the game like I was hoping I would.
post #310 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

The game definitely plays like Halo, the enemies are very Halo like, the weapons are Halo, the AI is Halo.

Basically if you never played Halo and have been a faithful microsoft antagonist. This is the closest you get to playing Halo without playing Halo.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #311 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Expert Mode

Quote:
Bungie Testing Destiny Alpha in “Expert Mode” for the Beta, Alpha Less Than 10% of Actual Game

June 16, 2014 Written by Alex Co

Earlier today, we reported that the supposed-to-be-concluded Destiny alpha is still on-going, with developer Bungie saying players should continue with the adventure at their “own risk.” Well, it seems we now know what that risk is.

Over on Twitter, Bungie confirmed that the alpha does indeed continue to trek on, and that the studio is testing “expert mode” for the upcoming beta in July.

Yup. Alpha still works. Now, we’re gonna test it in expert mode. If you’re still playing, pardon our dust. This is for the Beta!

— Bungie (@Bungie) June 16, 2014

In related news, Evan Nikolich, who’s a designer for Destiny, has revealed (spotted by WorldsFactory) that the alpha is less than 10 percent of the actual game’s content, which, if you’ve played it, speaks volumes to the game’s depth and in-game geography size.

The Destiny Alpha is less than 10% of the game’s content, and it amazes me people just keep on playing it.

— Evan Nikolich (@EvanNikolich) June 15, 2014

Yep, that confirms it. Prepare to not work, go out or have a real social life once Destiny rolls in this September. Have you tried Expert Mode? How is it? Sound off

Last edited by shadowlock; 06-16-2014 at 11:55 AM.
post #312 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, that expert mode title seems a bit misleading. Per what you posted shadow, I assumed they were doing network load testing, but reading that they are working on Expert Mode, makes me wonder if the strike missions have added that difficulty level.

When you queue up for a firestrike mission, next to the mission name it should read Brave, clicking on this lets you up the difficulty to Legendary...wonder if Expert is there now.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #313 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No it's both. Many of the enemies have "graduated" from red to yellow/gold status. I just finshed fighting a "gold" (stats in yellow) NOBLE Devil Walker instead of a regular Devil Walker. Fights are def. harder, esp. Lower level characters

post #314 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

I want to get the game and the system for my son, but i do not know if this is the right bundle i should be getting.

Is this the correct one i should be purchasing?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...nativetaste-20

Thanks!
Sophie
post #315 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie1980 View Post
Hi folks,

I want to get the game and the system for my son, but i do not know if this is the right bundle i should be getting.

Thanks!
Sophie
Yes, that's the right one.
post #316 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi folks,

Thanks!
Sophie
If you want the original black console, grab it here:

the game is here:
http://www.amazon.com/Destiny-PlaySt...XETV41S8ZBYAEP

Choosing the separate options will get him into the beta test (early access) which starts July 17th; should give him a chance to decide if he will like he game.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #317 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post
Quote:
Hi folks,

Thanks!
Sophie
That is unless he wants the Xbox One, and the game for that one.
post #318 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 149
We obviously don't have many if any Game of Thrones fans here. After the season 4 finally last night, any negative Peter Dinklage talk is just crazy talk! Revenge at it's finest. Put down the controller and binge a few seasons if necessary!
post #319 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
he is still representing an artificial intelligence and not a human being. So dull and emotionless would technically be accurate. Although, in video games Claptrap and GlaDOS were pretty remarkable colorful artificial intelligence creations.
What about Cortana ? She isn't very dull or emotionless. You already mentioned Claptrap and GlaDOS.

Personally, I think anybody that is really defending Dinklage on this is either a hardcore Game of Thrones fan that can't help but forgive the guy, or needs to climb out of the washing machine, because Spin Cycle is in full effect.

I know, I know... opinions are like ...... Everybody has one. But I stick by my feelings that Dinklage was simply cashing a check on this, either that, or the direction was absolutely horrible, or maybe Dinklage has never done voice over work before and was simply in over his head ?
post #320 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 832
I might re-subscribe to HBO for the show "The Leftovers" starting at the end of the month. I might check out Game of Thrones then.

FiOS is offering me 50% off HBO and Starz for 12 months so it would be a good time to subscribe again.
tampabuc likes this.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #321 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
What about Cortana ? She isn't very dull or emotionless. You already mentioned Claptrap and GlaDOS.

Personally, I think anybody that is really defending Dinklage on this is either a hardcore Game of Thrones fan that can't help but forgive the guy, or needs to climb out of the washing machine, because Spin Cycle is in full effect.

I know, I know... opinions are like ...... Everybody has one. But I stick by my feelings that Dinklage was simply cashing a check on this, either that, or the direction was absolutely horrible, or maybe Dinklage has never done voice over work before and was simply in over his head ?

Someday soon, we will all have the benefits of Cortana and have a unified, intelligent, and natural "hey do this" voice solution. Cortana on Windows phone and a Surface is as good as it gets right now so Phone & PC-Tablets are covered. Certain consoles will soon follow hopefully.
post #322 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

"I'm sorry, Dave."
tampabuc and Epyon415 like this.
post #323 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlock View Post
They are called Hallowed Knights & Hallowed Acolytes. They exist at the bottom of the open exploration area. There are (at least) 2 shed-like buildings that have stairs going down. There are two nearly invincible enemies down there that are crazy powerful. I found a heavy weapon that had 96 Attack and it did only 1 pt of damage to these enemies. It took my Lvl 8 Warlock down in ¼ health with one hit. Killed my Level 6 Hunter outright with 1 hit. Level 8 Nova bomb made no difference (neither did a lvl 6 Golden Gun)

Based on the Lvl 8 level cap, I'm pretty sure they weren't meant to be taken out by us, but it was a nice little surprise. The AI on those things is pretty consistent. They will NOT come outside. I tried to coax one out but it only came part way up the steps once--and that was when I enticed another player to follow me down to see what would happen if we teamed up (it wasn't pretty--the beast took me out with one hit, I respawned outside, made my way back down, but by that down my companion--a lowly level 5--had bit the dirt. I was reviving him, but he respawned himself and did NOT head back down there.

I'd love to get some of those dancing lvl 8's down there, but most of them don't even know the thing exists. They think Septkis Prime or one of the Wizards on Legendary are the hardest things in the alpha, but it isn't. So if you want to try your mettle against "something wicked this way comes," grab your rifle and head down there. You might see me down there getting taken out in 1 or 2 hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aTQ99ihWHo
Yeah, I found this guy out about 5 minutes into my first foray. Head to first real building, go downstairs. The creatures inside there glitched on me, and dissappeared. It's still "alpha", I figured. Then head down another set of stairs and around a corner, and HOLY CRAP DUDE WITH A BIG SWORD JUST ONE HIT KILLED ME. That's when I met the Hallowed Knight.

There is another section in cosmodrome someplace where it starts getting pretty tight quarters with hive knights/acolytes on one side and fallen dregs and what not on the other. Every once in a while (but it's not one of those "in game random events"), something stirs the pot and a bunch of wizards start showing up with lots of higher class mobs spawning like crazy. Unless you have a 2-3 fully levels fireteams ready to do battle, get ready to use the respawn button.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #324 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I might re-subscribe to HBO for the show "The Leftovers" starting at the end of the month. I might check out Game of Thrones then.

FiOS is offering me 50% off HBO and Starz for 12 months so it would be a good time to subscribe again.
off topic, but do you have any config posts/builds about your server(s). Curious what sort of setup you've got. Can PM me to save the thread.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #325 of 4329 Old 06-16-2014, 08:55 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I'm a huge Game of Thrones fan. Books and show, and I love Tyrion, especially the scene in the courtroom. But I just don't like his dialogue in this game.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #326 of 4329 Old 06-17-2014, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post
Thanks!!
post #327 of 4329 Old 06-17-2014, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This aplha made the game a definite purchase. It was awesome.
post #328 of 4329 Old 06-17-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am a GoT fans, hardcore I guess, haven't read the books. Anywho, I feel that any actor could phone this in better half-drunk. If your argument is that he was just "cashing a check", then you'd have to argue that it was Dinklage that also wrote the lines, because the lines that he is voice-acting are horrible. This leads me to believe that the character (whatever the robot drone thing is called) was designed to be this way. Sort of like Claptrap in the sense that he is worthless but somehow also worthy. To me it seems obvious that they are going for a "It's so purposefully bad that it ends up being good" kind of thing. I digress though, if you feel that it's somehow Dinklage's fault for bad lines, and bad voice-acting for a Bungie product then so be it. It's not like if Dinklage did such a horrible job that Bungie's project team wouldn't have identified it and either had him redo it, or recast him. They released the product therefore they obviously approve of it!
Crash44 likes this.

post #329 of 4329 Old 06-17-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
Someday soon, we will all have the benefits of Cortana and have a unified, intelligent, and natural "hey do this" voice solution. Cortana on Windows phone and a Surface is as good as it gets right now so Phone & PC-Tablets are covered. Certain consoles will soon follow hopefully.

post #330 of 4329 Old 06-17-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I'm a huge Game of Thrones fan. Books and show, and I love Tyrion, especially the scene in the courtroom. But I just don't like his dialogue in this game.
Apparently it's his fault the dialogue itself was written poorly.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Destiny