Forum Jump: 
 199Likes

post #331 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 424
I was wondering if anyone else is having issues with this thread on it not going to the last read. All other threads I click the little arrow and it brings me to the last unread. This one doesn't. I contacted AVS support but haven't heard anything back from them and I don't see it resolved. I just want to know if its on my side or AVS.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Same problem here.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #333 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Works for me.

There was a post in the changeover thread that said to go to the forum and mark the forum as read. Which basically made every single thread in the forum as if you've read all the posts. But, when a new post came in, the little button worked. I haven't had any issues since.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #334 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
I am a GoT fans, hardcore I guess, haven't read the books. Anywho, I feel that any actor could phone this in better half-drunk. If your argument is that he was just "cashing a check", then you'd have to argue that it was Dinklage that also wrote the lines, because the lines that he is voice-acting are horrible. This leads me to believe that the character (whatever the robot drone thing is called) was designed to be this way. Sort of like Claptrap in the sense that he is worthless but somehow also worthy. To me it seems obvious that they are going for a "It's so purposefully bad that it ends up being good" kind of thing. I digress though, if you feel that it's somehow Dinklage's fault for bad lines, and bad voice-acting for a Bungie product then so be it. It's not like if Dinklage did such a horrible job that Bungie's project team wouldn't have identified it and either had him redo it, or recast him. They released the product therefore they obviously approve of it!
Even though the dialog is nothing to write home about Dinklage definitely phoned in just about every line, at times sounding like he was narrating a math learning game for 6 year olds. The worst area was the story mission, but most every time the companion spoke it was grating. I can only hope this was placeholder dialog and it has been re-recorded with something a little better delivered.

To hear some good voice acting in the alpha, listen for the voice of Lance Reddick. For an example he narrates the beginning of this trailer: http://www.bungie.net/7_The-Devils-L...News?aid=11496 . He also delivers various mission briefings and I believe he is also the Titan Mentor voice. His dialog is not genius level either, but this guy knows the audience and delivers something not-immersion-breaking.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)

Last edited by Crash44; 06-17-2014 at 09:12 AM.
post #335 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
It's the little guy from Game Of Thrones, you'd have to watch the show to be excited.

There is a thread on GAF critiquing Dinklage's voice acting for the robot. Some people feel that Bungie has yet to apply an AI/Robot sounding filter to it. Either way, I think he is purposefully sounding dull, monotoned, and void of emotion because that's how an artificial intelligence would be, void of emotion. I think they do need to put a filter on it to a degree to give it that synthesized artificial feel.
He isn't monotone the entire time, his tone changes quite a bit at certain points (expressing anxiety or whatever).
post #336 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post
Even though the dialog is nothing to write home about Dinklage definitely phoned in just about every line, at times sounding like he was narrating a math learning game for 6 year olds.
If that's the case, why'd Bungie accept the work and release it? He can't just "phone it in" unless Bungie accepts it. It being so bad (and I don't disagree) combined with the fact that Bungie has clearly accepted it, strongly suggests that it's by design. Considering this is just an alpha, the product may be unfinished and/or there may be context missing that explains the lameness. I don't just accept that Dinklage, or any other recognizable actor doing voice work for video games, simply "phones it in" because video games are somehow in inferior media with developers/publishers willing to accept someone doing subpar work and then release that as a AAA game. Destiny could reach as many consumers as GoT has this season (9 million viewers for the finale). I can see this game across hardware and with rentals and sales in mind, so as a product it's not low class slop for Dinklage to phone in, and if it were, it's not something Bungie should put their stamp on.

"The Scuba Tank" thread

PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #337 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
I was wondering if anyone else is having issues with this thread on it not going to the last read. All other threads I click the little arrow and it brings me to the last unread. This one doesn't. I contacted AVS support but haven't heard anything back from them and I don't see it resolved. I just want to know if its on my side or AVS.
I seem to be having the same issue, and only on this thread.

PSN = Hatcher14
post #338 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Marking the forum as all read didn't fix anything and now my thread subscriptions is stuck at 1.

benjamin-benjami -
post #339 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I'm glad I got to try the alpha, but I'll wait until the beta to decide if I want the game when it initially releases.

I doubt I play much PvP, so all the PvE modes are the main attraction for me. Roaming around old Russia looking for random tasks to complete got old as I got better because the intensity of the encounters was so low and there was barely a penalty for dying.

The strike mode however was a ton of fun, especially co-op. My favorite co-op experience last gen was Resistance 2's mode, and this game's strike mode leans in that direction. What was missing compared to that game is having a ton of enemies swarming from all directions with multiple giant mid-bosses attacking the team, but maybe those encounters come later on.

The raid mode sounds most promising though, which is why I am mostly optimistic for the final release. The weapon/gear hunting seems cool, the sweet visuals will be even better in the beta according to the developer, so I'll try it out again in July before I make a final decision.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #340 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a penalty for dying? It didn't seem like it to me, but maybe I didn't notice it.

I really want to see more interesting environments, the Alpha level of Old Russia isn't very exciting. The skybox on the hub moon looks cool, fighting somewhere like that would have been nice.
post #341 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
If your argument is that he was just "cashing a check", then you'd have to argue that it was Dinklage that also wrote the lines, because the lines that he is voice-acting are horrible. This leads me to believe that the character (whatever the robot drone thing is called) was designed to be this way. Sort of like Claptrap in the sense that he is worthless but somehow also worthy. To me it seems obvious that they are going for a "It's so purposefully bad that it ends up being good" kind of thing. I digress though, if you feel that it's somehow Dinklage's fault for bad lines, and bad voice-acting for a Bungie product then so be it. It's not like if Dinklage did such a horrible job that Bungie's project team wouldn't have identified it and either had him redo it, or recast him. They released the product therefore they obviously approve of it!
Bungie seems to be starstruck over certain actors and actresses. Remember they had both Nathan Fillion (FireFly) and Tricia Helfer (Battlestar Galactica) doing voice over during Halo ODST. Luckly, both of them did a half way decent job of voice acting in that particular game, so it didn't turn out to be such a mistake. (although some may argue the overly familiar voice takes them right out of the experience )

Still I have a feeling that they sit in a boardroom, talking about what shows are their favorite shows, and then they say... "Yeah, we should get so and so, because I really like so and so in that show". Seems whatever show is vogue nerd culture show of the moment. FireFly and Battlestar Galactica and now Game of Thrones.

They will probably get Tatiana Maslany next (Orphan Black).

I think they should stick with people that have lots of voice over experience, instead of just getting actors that they like from whatever shows they happen to be watching on their free time.
post #342 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
This is happening to me across the board on all threads.
post #343 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Wow, Bungie just confirmed that parity is their goal. Sucks but I have to pass on the game as I refuse to support half hearted ports on the console.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=839504
post #344 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post
Wow, Bungie just confirmed that parity is their goal. Sucks but I have to pass on the game as I refuse to support half hearted ports on the console.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=839504

I have a really hard time believing the PS3 version will look and run just as smoothly as the PS4 Alpha I played. Most likely the person is not conveying what he means or he is being misinterpreted.
post #345 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 121
More info on Playstation Exclusive content for Destiny

Quote:
Destiny’s PlayStation-Exclusive Content Revealed

June 16, 2014 Written by Jason Dunning

After people enjoyed a weekend of playing the alpha version of Destiny, and before the beta test on July 17th, Bungie and PlayStation have announced exactly what the exclusive content will be available for the game at launch on PS3 and PS4:

Strike

Dust Palace: An exclusive three-player cooperative Strike that can be played with friends or match made. You’ll track a Cabal extraction team through the husks of an ancient human skyscraper, the Dust Palace, buried in the shifting dunes of Mars and face a new enemy, the Psion Flayers.
Multiplayer Map

Exodus Blue Competitive: A mid-sized Crucible arena that pairs perfectly with Control and Skirmish game modes. The Exodus Blue, a long-dead vessel, once brought hope and humanity to worlds beyond Earth. Here, Guardians challenge one another, forging a new hope and future in the fires of the Crucible.

Gear

For the Warlock class: Manifold Seeker armor that was built to help Warlocks survive the secret realms of the Vex.
For the Titan class: Vanir, a battle-tested armor set forged to protect Titans against the heavy firepower of the Cabal.
For the Hunter class: Argus, a durable all-environment wire-weave for those out to scout the frontier.

Weapons

Monte Carlo: An exotic assault rifle, is a handcrafted showpiece with a sleek look that masks the cruel reality of its function — the efficient elegant delivery of war against any who would tarnish its legacy. Upgrades increase the weapon’s “hip fire” effectiveness and boost melee cool down, providing a firm grounding for close range domination.
Hawkmoon: An exotic hand cannon, is a true gunslinger’s weapon — a smooth sidearm that makes every bullet count with intricate “hawk feather” etchings carved into the weapon’s silvered barrel. Damage boosts increase the combat effectiveness, making it a formidable weapon.

Ships

Aurora Wake: A hull lined with arcane instruments, crafted by a circle of Warlocks – gifting the ship with a preternatural sense for the strange.
Crypt Hammer: A deep-strike insertion variant, built to carry Guardians safely through contested space. Carries hardpoints once used to hold Suros TL-SEAD anti-radiation missiles.
Outrageous Fortune: A rugged, versatile explorer for those ready to gamble everything in search of ancient secrets and alien power.

The full version of Destiny launches on September 9th, alongside a Crystal White PS4 bundle that includes the game.

[Source: PS Blog]

- My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog

Last edited by shadowlock; 06-17-2014 at 04:44 PM.
post #346 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

More Destiny news:

Quote:
Destiny Already Looks Better Than the Alpha, Beta Test Will Have Different Content

June 17, 2014 Written by Jason Dunning

Having officially concluded the Destiny alpha test, Bungie Senior Environment Artist Jason Sussman spoke with the PlayStation Blog about the upcoming game, revealing how the alpha was just a small taste of things to come:

The Destiny alpha was a small taste of all the things to come. You got the open world, Explore Mode, a little bit of the campaign mission, the strike as well as the Crucible – which is our multiplayer mode.

And on top of that you have the player customization so you could kit out your character and the Tower, which is the social space… I’m remembering everything as we go because it’s a lot of content!

After talking about how they’re already taking feedback from the alpha to improve the overall Destiny experience, Sussman added that, in the alpha, “We’re not only monitoring our networking systems to see how we can handle so many players in the game, but we’re also monitoring what players use, where they like to go, and what people like to do in the crucible.”

The alpha isn’t the only chance to play Destiny before launch on September 9th, with a beta test scheduled to begin on July 17th. As Sussman confirmed, “The beta test later in the year will contain different content – there will be a difference, but what’s key is that every bit of information we’re gathering, and the tweaks and adjustments we’re making, will carry through to the beta test.”

Finally, Sussman said that Destiny “is already looking better than what people are playing in the alpha, which is really cool. It’s like, hey guess what? This is only going to get better.”

What did you think of the Destiny alpha?
[Source: Playstation Lifestyle]
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by shadowlock; 06-17-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Added Source
post #347 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlock View Post
More info on Playstation Exclusive content for Destiny
Exclusive content is great, but not so much when it's evenly spread. In other words if PS4 gets a pulse rifle and a red ship, goes Xbox get an auto rifle and a blue ship? Then they sell the thing you didn't get as DLC.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #348 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Do the ships actually matter? Doesn't seem like you ever get to fly them.
post #349 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 09:34 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I think all it did was make you look different in the load screen. But what do I know, maybe they have flying crap in there somewhere.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #350 of 1463 Old 06-17-2014, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
Do the ships actually matter? Doesn't seem like you ever get to fly them.
Last i read from a dev is ships are 100% cosmetic, you'll just get to watch it during the load screens.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv:

Twitter: @gundumgaming

post #351 of 1463 Old 06-18-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, just what I thought. I personally don't care if I get some exclusive colored shipped during the cut scene/loading sceen.
post #352 of 1463 Old 06-18-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
Ok, just what I thought. I personally don't care if I get some exclusive colored shipped during the cut scene/loading sceen.
In the Alpha, I bought one of the ships just so I could stand out and there wasn't anything else to spend my credits on. At some point, you may get bored staring at the default blue ship and want to do something different.

Similarly, the cloaks have no value (even the uncommons) but for cosmetic purposes.
post #353 of 1463 Old 06-18-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post
In the Alpha, I bought one of the ships just so I could stand out and there wasn't anything else to spend my credits on. At some point, you may get bored staring at the default blue ship and want to do something different.

Similarly, the cloaks have no value (even the uncommons) but for cosmetic purposes.
They need to have a mini-Gradius type battle before the match, kind of like in between periods for Blades of Steel (NES) Somebody else has to know what I'm talking about.
post #354 of 1463 Old 06-19-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

• Exclusive content for PlayStation 4 owners includes the Exodus Blue Competitive Multiplayer Map, Dust Palace Strike, Weapons, Ships and Gear that will only be on PlayStation until at least Fall 2015.

http://www.amazon.com/Destiny-PlaySt...glink129408-20
post #355 of 1463 Old 06-20-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Is the digital pre-order out yet on the PSN?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #356 of 1463 Old 06-20-2014, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes. Preordering through PSN gets you access to the Beta and this title is one of several that supports Pre-Loading.
freemeat likes this.

post #357 of 1463 Old 06-20-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If you are not in a rush to spend your money you might want to hold off. Sony throws those spend $50 get $10 deals every so often. I am waiting to see if they have one before Destiny gets released. If they do have one of those specials I actually plan on spending a decent amount on the preorders for the games I want.
aaronwt likes this.

benjamin-benjami -
post #358 of 1463 Old 06-20-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
If you are not in a rush to spend your money you might want to hold off. Sony throws those spend $50 get $10 deals every so often. I am waiting to see if they have one before Destiny gets released. If they do have one of those specials I actually plan on spending a decent amount on the preorders for the games I want.
Thanks. I guess I will wait. I've already placed a pre-order from BestBuy to get in the beta on the PS4 and XBOne so I'm covered there(I'll just cancel the order or return the discs after I receive them). But with all the exclusive PS4 features I pretty much plan on getting Destiny there. So I will keep watch for one of those deals you mentioned before pre-ordering Destiny on my PS4.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #359 of 1463 Old 06-22-2014, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bungie has released statistics on the alpha:
Quote:
Bungie Shares Destiny Alpha Stats, Over Six Million Games Played and More

June 21, 2014 Written by Alex Co

In an update on Bungie’s site, the developer announced the outcome of its Destiny alpha in a “Post Game Carnage Report,” that tallies up the the stats racked up by a “small, intimate group of players” that took part in it in just a few days’ time.

6,461,871 Player Games Played!
149,522,313 Primary Weapon Kills
21,782,610 Secondary Weapon Kills
4,002,737 Heavy Weapon Kills
21,687,298 Super Ability Kills
2,819,211 Orbs of Light Gathered
6,850,773 Control Points Captured in the Crucible
1,195 Deathless Medals awarded in the Crucible
4,356 Splatters with the Sparrow
667,966 Public Events Joined
60,491,944 Fallen Dregs Dispatched with Extreme Prejudice
Too many to count: Guardians served in Dance Parties
Not a bad set of numbers for something that most players weren’t able to take part of.

In the same update, Bungie thanks the fans who tried the Destiny alpha, and that those same player will see the fruits of labor out of the feedback and suggestions in the upcoming Destiny beta in July.

If you had a chance to play our First Look Alpha, thank you for paving the way for what we hope is so many more players. There are a lot of gamers who didn’t get the chance to fight in this round. That’s going to change very soon. If you did play, you’ve helped ensure that everyone who jumps into our Beta in July will have a better experience for it.

A lot of our friends asked us if this was a real Alpha. It was. We’ve gathered a mountain of data and feedback. We’re learning and reacting and Destiny is going to be better because of it. You’ll see the fruits of that labor as early as next month, assuming we’re lucky enough to have you in our Public Beta.

Interestingly enough, Destiny might be the first Bungie-developed PlayStation game to see the light of day, but it was already talking to Sony even before the PS4 design was finalized.

If you weren’t able to join in on the Destiny alpha fun, read up on our preview to get a feel for what’s in store. However, for those that took part in the alpha, how was it? Do you think it will be the next big shooter as some people, including us, claim it will be?

[Source: Bungie via Playstation Lifestyle]

Last edited by shadowlock; 06-22-2014 at 06:52 PM.
post #360 of 1463 Old 06-22-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 713
also

1,233,774 miles of unnecessary backtracking.
freemeat likes this.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Destiny

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page