Forum Jump: 
 254Likes

post #361 of 1749 Old 06-22-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 733
But how many people actually played the Alpha? Telling me all that info means nothing without some kind of frame of reference.
Drrumma likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1749 Old 06-24-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post
In the Alpha, I bought one of the ships just so I could stand out and there wasn't anything else to spend my credits on. At some point, you may get bored staring at the default blue ship and want to do something different.

Similarly, the cloaks have no value (even the uncommons) but for cosmetic purposes.
Ya...its a way to stand out. I'm sure there will be expensive ships and hopefully ships you have to get as loot. Rolling to the crucible with 5 standard ships then my rare ship just is a way of saying...look what I have, what I've done.

As for a real use of cloaks/marks/bonds it helps identify players class in the crucible.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #363 of 1749 Old 06-24-2014, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Another Playstation Lifestyle article related to Destiny (this one's about their servers and backend):

Quote:
Bungie Doing “Proprietary Things” on the Back-End to Make Sure Destiny Network is Solid at Launch

June 24, 2014 Written by Jason Dunning

With multiple big-name titles suffering through online multiplayer issues at launch recently, people have been understandably worried about how well Destiny might perform, especially given how Activision expects it to be such a huge release come September.

Discussing Destiny with GamesIndustry, Bungie COO Pete Parsons addressed these concerns, revealing that “for many months now, we’ve actively had a build up, we pinged our data centre for the first time more than a year ago.” After adding how “we have been actively preparing,” Parsons said:

It’s always scary and exciting and to put your work out in front of people who are judging it but it’s also, it’s scary to put it out there because you’re testing whether it’s going to work or not.

We take it super seriously and we’ve been planning for a long time, we’ve been investing into it to make sure that we have the best experience possible and I think we have to ultimately see what happens but we have every expectation of from moment one, having a great experience, and when things happen, whether it’s with us or the internet, we have things in place. There’s elegance in what we do so we have plenty of safeguards for this.

Elsewhere, Senior Environment Artist Jason Sussman discussed with GameZone the precautions they’re taking to ensure Destiny’s servers are ready to go on day one:

Absolutely, that’s also a part of the alpha. We have a redundant system, and we’re doing some proprietary things on the backend to make sure out network is as solid as possible. So the alpha’s that phase, launching on the PS4 and we monitor that, see how it goes. Now the beta, which we’re treating as a fully fledged launch, and that’s going to be the real deal. All of our systems are in place, and we’re feeling pretty confident.

The Destiny beta kicks off on July 17.

- My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #364 of 1749 Old 06-24-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post
also

1,233,774 miles of unnecessary backtracking.
You could have always went to orbit then "fast travelled" to whatever new location you were hoping to get to. I put fast travel in quotes because the loading screen was long enough to just jump on your sparrow and ride back from the Divide to the E3 2013 side of the wall.

post #365 of 1749 Old 06-24-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

" Now the beta, which we’re treating as a fully fledged launch, and that’s going to be the real deal. All of our systems are in place, and we’re feeling pretty confident."

Thats the rub. If they are treating the beta like a full launch...just launch the friggin game! I can't wait!

post #366 of 1749 Old 06-24-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

i would rather they get more bugs squashed first.

post #367 of 1749 Old 06-25-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post
As for a real use of cloaks/marks/bonds it helps identify players class in the crucible.
The placement of the cloaks defines your class.

But the cloaks themselves are purely cosmetic. In the Alpha, I got several uncommon cloaks, and not a single one of them did anything to my stats. It's just to make yourself stand out from everyone else's common cloaks.
post #368 of 1749 Old 06-25-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Destiny Beta to be Open to Everyone With PlayStation Plus

June 25, 2014 Written by Alex Co

While not everyone who wanted to were able to play the Destiny alpha, it seems this will change with the upcoming Destiny beta in July.

In today’s EU PlayStation Blog update, it has been revealed that everyone with a PS+ membership will get access to the beta, which means, if you’re a premium service right now, then you’ll be part of the sci-fi festivities.

Not only are we bringing you a great mix of games but there’s also the Destiny beta, which kicks off on 17th July exclusively on PlayStation. If you’re a PlayStation Plus member you will be able to fully experience Destiny and its incredible multiplayer. And if you’re not? Well, what are you waiting for, sign up now!

While this was posted on the EU PS Blog, chances are very, very high it’s the same for North American PS+ users, too. Just last week, Bungie revealed the Destiny alpha stats, which was not bad for a closed alpha. With the beta being open to essentially everyone, I image the numbers will be exponentially better.

If you’re unsure if you want to try the beta before Destiny’s September release, check out our hands-on preview to get a glimpse at what to expect in July 17.

Anyone excited to try the Destiny beta? Or do you want to retain some sort of mystery to the game when you pick it up on September 9?

[Source: EU PlayStation Blog via NeoGAF]
freemeat likes this.

post #369 of 1749 Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Good news. I didn't want to pre-order but want to see more than what the alpha offers as that got repetitive.
post #370 of 1749 Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
While this was posted on the EU PS Blog, chances are very, very high it’s the same for North American PS+ users, too.

Okay--so I'm going to reply to my own post.

Be careful with this news article . . . We do NOT always get what Europe (EU) gets. Until this is confirmed by the US PS Blog, I'd treat this a just a nice perk for our friends across the pond. Until you see a similar post on the US Blog, I'd pre-order if you want in on the Beta (you can always cancel--see posts earlier in the thread for places to pre-order).

I posted this to give a head's up that this MIGHT becoming to PS+ users in US later. If you miss the Beta because you were waiting for it to come to US Plus and doesn't . . . well, I'm not responsible for any wailing or gnashing of teeth .

Last edited by shadowlock; 06-25-2014 at 10:45 AM.
post #371 of 1749 Old 06-25-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
Good news. I didn't want to pre-order but want to see more than what the alpha offers as that got repetitive.
That's fine--just be sure to look at my warning - confirmed for EU only so far.

We get most of the same things, but not always the exactly the same things--I wish the writer had titled the article differently, but they are a website that is technically "British" (even though most of the writers are based in America, lol).

Last edited by shadowlock; 06-25-2014 at 10:53 AM.
post #372 of 1749 Old 06-25-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Put the brakes on the hype train, it was a typo:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/...ation-members/

Quote:
Update: Community Manager Chris Owen had to break news that many won’t like, and just did so on Twitter.
The Destiny Beta will be available via pre-order only. The blog post is worded incorrectly and will be amended
twitter source: https://twitter.com/Envisager_/statu...58839722336256

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv:

Twitter: @gundumgaming

post #373 of 1749 Old 06-25-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. If someone wants to get in on the beta then just pre-order it. And then either cancel the order before it ships, or return the game after you receive it. Either way it should not be a big deal. or have they stopped giving out beta codes?
moepoker likes this.

post #374 of 1749 Old 06-26-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So . . . With school out, I have more time (no lesson plans to prepare, no papers to grade, no paperwork fill out) to cruise the internet. I normally only post things that I think are important to Destiny, but with this free time, I find myself posting anything/everything related to Destiny--hence yesterday's post of a news story that was later retracted. I think I'll stick with what worked (& go back to the source).

With that being said:

Quote:
Bungie COO: We came to Activision with the 10-year plan
By Dan Pearson

TUE 24 JUN 2014 11:00AM GMT / 7:00AM EDT / 4:00AM PDT
DEVELOPMENT

Pete Parsons reveals the past, present and future of the all-important new IP

Names for AAA games don't get much more balls out apt than Destiny. As well as making for snappy tshirts and box covers it reflects exactly what this space shooter represents for Bungie. Its follow-up to Halo, this is a game with a long term plan that not only has to sell, but has to prove that the company can do better than what's gone before. No pressure then.

Bungie veteran and COO Pete Parsons, who has been with the company since October 2002, spoke to GamesIndustry.biz at E3 to talk about the game. He sheds light on the decision behind the E3 alpha test, that $500 million budget, and the company's ten year plan.

Q: There was some confusion after the initial announcement as to what Destiny really was. Do you think you've established its identity?

Pete Parsons: For us, it's always been a shooter. This is the next logical big step forward that we will take. I had the great fortune of being also at the very start of Halo, and so we saw many of the same things. Really, "shooters haven't been on a big way in a console before. Is Xbox going to be successful? What do you mean you can pick up and drive?" The same kind of things happened and the thing we needed to believe in is, "Do we believe we have a clear vision? Are we going to be able to communicate that clear vision by letting games speak for itself?"

That's exactly what we ultimately wanted to do - let this game speak for itself - and I think it's really snapped into focus at this E3 for people as they finally got to put their hands on it. That's exciting for us because we're playing it everyday at work and we're all like, "Gosh, I think people are going to like this." We love it.

"This is a big step forward but something we've been talking about for more than 10 years"

Q: How about announcing the alpha on stage, that must have been a bit tense, right?

Pete Parsons: The fact that the alpha and E3 happen to fall at the same time is largely coincidental, and because we needed the alpha to test our backend technology, but the game is in such a good state already that we thought like, "We're getting it out to people," instead of making some special build or doing something. We wanted to get it out to people. In fact, let's get it out before. Make up your own mind. I think it's also one of those games where it's hard as a shooter but it has lots of investment, it has lots of activities. You're doing public spaces and public events, something that people have never done before on a console, and it requires more than just 15 minutes of putting your hands on it to experience that.

Q: Even for a company with your pedigree, Destiny must come with huge pressure.

Pete Parsons: Not really. This is a game we wanted to make for a long time. The pressure is on ourselves. In fact, in many ways, it's kind of the opposite. We've always wanted to do ambitious stuff. We've always wanted to push the genre we love in a new direction but continue to evolve it.

This is a big step forward but something we've been talking about for more than ten years. Not exactly Destiny...Many of these concepts we had then, but the technology and our expertise weren't there.

Activision believed in us and they believed in our vision, and so the investment they're making over this long period of time actually does the opposite. It gives us the freedom and ability to make the thing that we wanted to make, so while we put tons of pressure on ourselves, we always want to make sure that we hope the world loves it. It actually made it easier for us to realise that vision and we're seeing that pay off.

Q: The $500 million figure that was bandied about, are you able to talk about the split of that between development costs and marketing at all?

Pete Parsons: For marketing you'd have to ask Activision people, but for development costs, not anything close to $500 million. I think that speaks a lot more to the long-term investment that we're making in the future of the product.

We sat back, long before we even came to our partnership with Activision, thinking about, "We wanted to tell a story over ten years." We wanted each one of these things to have its own beginning, middle, and an end, but we really wanted to step back and we can do it. We've done it before; we did it with Halo but we didn't plan it out. I say plan - I don't know how the story goes, okay? But really, think about how do we future-proof our technology? What are the kinds of things we're going to want to do? How do we build our team? How do we even build the building that our team is going to be in?

We have the time to start building that out and that's incredibly powerful for us.

Q: Activision clearly want this to be a tent pole going forward - they've talked about a 10-year plan. Is that something that you guys are comfortable with, getting invested in this project for that length of time?

Pete Parsons: Well, that's our plan, actually. We came to Activision with the 10-year plan. That was completely us. It's a part of being an independent company.

If you have to leave a universe that you love behind, it couldn't be really a better thing to do it with. A newly independent company starting on a new, bold adventure, which is why the game is called Destiny - it was originally a code name for the game and we ended up liking it a lot and then changed the code name to Tiger, but yeah, because it spoke so much about where we were going and what we were doing that it became the thing we're focused on.

Q: Halo is a still a huge proposition for Microsoft - it was a major presence at their press conference.

Pete Parsons: People put their experiences with Halo and they're going to do it with Destiny and if we do our job right, they're going to put it on the same mental shelf that they put the best entertainment they've ever had, the best entertainment experiences they've ever had. Star Wars, Harry Potter, they've done it with our games. It's such a flattering moment to have that happen. That people now think about the things that we've created and that they still remain relevant to people, even after a decade, is super cool.

Q: Can you talk about the business model for Destiny?

Pete Parsons: I really can't go into it. The thing we've said so far is that it's not going to be subscription.

The biggest thing we wanted to do is make sure, certainly our business model to make sure that it's never confusing for anybody. People feel like they understand what's going on, they're not confused by it, that's actually been a really interesting challenge on the development side figuring out how we're going to make that happen but I look forward to having that conversation.

Q: What safeguards are you putting in place to guarantee that service stays up day one and stays stable?

Pete Parsons: Part of it is we've had, for many months now, we've been actively had a build up, we pinged our data centre for the first time more than a year ago.

So we have been actively preparing. You made a great comment earlier, which is neither Bungie nor Activision do anything by halves. There's a reason why we've been doing, the reason why we have this Alpha today, the reason why these people are playing off the same data centre, if the internet goes down or a meteor hits our data centre, we're not playing on the floor today. There's no safeguards in place. We're playing on our thing and that's an active test for us. It's always scary and exciting and to put your work out in front of people who are judging it but it's also, it's scary to put it out there because you're testing whether it's going to work or not.

"We pinged our data centre for the first time more than a year ago"
We take it super seriously and we've been planning for a long time, we've been investing into it to make sure that we have the best experience possible and I think we have to ultimately see what happens but we have every expectation of from moment one, having a great experience, and when things happen, whether it's with us or the internet, we have things in place. There's elegance in what we do so we have plenty of safeguards for this.

Q: One last very quick thing, then. The IP, is that an Activision property or is that a Bungie property?

Pete Parsons: It's a Bungie property.

Q: That's incredibly rare, right? For a game of this scale?

Pete Parsons: You know it is, but we're very fortunate. We came out of Microsoft as an independent company and we have a great pedigree and the reason why we have a great pedigree is because we have so many great people. More than half of all the original Halo team are still at Bungie. I think Activision saw our vision, believed in it. Owning the IP was really important to us. Being an independent company was really important to us and we're able to form the right partnership and things has gone great.

Source [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...23-bungie-coo]
aaronwt and freemeat like this.

post #375 of 1749 Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. If someone wants to get in on the beta then just pre-order it. And then either cancel the order before it ships, or return the game after you receive it. Either way it should not be a big deal. or have they stopped giving out beta codes?
Most people dont think of this (I didn't until someone here mentioned it). I think the idea was exciting for everyone because it was easy/free access and it made Sony/PS+ seem "awesome".

Twitch.tv:

post #376 of 1749 Old 06-28-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Bungie has confirmed that the voice acting was not complete for the Alpha.
post #377 of 1749 Old 06-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Has confirmed that they acknowledged everyone hates it, and will call Peter back in to redo the lines
kjr39 likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #378 of 1749 Old 06-29-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anybody know how or if 4 player will work? I thought I read co-OP is limited to 4 players, but that seems counter intuitive since its a sort of open world MMO style.
post #379 of 1749 Old 06-29-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Does anybody know how or if 4 player will work? I thought I read co-OP is limited to 4 players, but that seems counter intuitive since its a sort of open world MMO style.
3 man teams. Apparently aside from those three, you can't join up without luck. Personally I have mixed feelings. It sucks to the the odd one or two out but then again its easier on chat.
post #380 of 1749 Old 06-29-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
Bungie has confirmed that the voice acting was not complete for the Alpha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
Has confirmed that they acknowledged everyone hates it, and will call Peter back in to redo the lines
I think the easy solution is no booze in the recording booth this time. Either that or shell out more of that 500 million until they reach a "care threshold".

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #381 of 1749 Old 06-30-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post
The placement of the cloaks defines your class.

But the cloaks themselves are purely cosmetic. In the Alpha, I got several uncommon cloaks, and not a single one of them did anything to my stats. It's just to make yourself stand out from everyone else's common cloaks.
Actually only Hunters have cloaks/capes. Warlocks have armbands and Titans have sashes on their hip. If you see someone in the crucible with a cape you know they are a hunter. If they have a sash their a titan. Armbands are hard to see so if you dont see any of those they are a warlock.

Class specific items do not effect stats, they are cosmetic as you stated.

post #382 of 1749 Old 06-30-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Another Destiny related article, this time from Tech Radar:

Quote:
Destiny's end-game content will 'blow players' minds'
EXCLUSIVE Bungie has a plan

By Michael Rougeau June 27th

The Traveler is at the center of a web of mysteries that will span multiple games

Bungie has a lot to prove with Destiny, and the news that player progress in the upcoming shooter will be capped at level 20 wasn't met with enthusiasm. In existing MMOs hitting the level cap usually means the game is about to get boring, after all.

There is an explanation for the low cap, however. In Destiny, a new breed of MMO that could kickstart the genre for the next generation of games, the idea is that players will hit the highest level quickly so that their friends are never too far ahead.

After that point, progression is meant to be "horizontal" - you'll seek out better equipment and try out different builds without actually leveling up.

No matter what kind of fancy labels Bungie slaps on Destiny, the truth is that it really is an MMO. And these changes to genre conventions could mark a paradigm shift as more and more new Xbox One and PS4 games begin to borrow various aspects from the massively multiplayer.

But Bungie Head of Community Eric Osborne told TechRadar at E3 2014 that there's more to Destiny's end-game content than that. "In Destiny, when you complete the campaign, you're really just getting started," he said.

Circle of Life

The game's longevity apparently hinges on its cyclical nature. Every aspect of the game is connected, and that will keep players moving around and not getting stuck in a rut, Osborne said.

Multiplayer is linked directly back to the rest of the game For example, "reputation" credits earned in deathmatches can be used to purchase weapons in the hub area.

It's all "rooted in story," Osborne said.

"It sounds like light storytelling, but once you start experiencing it, it's a driver to keep you moving around the world in a really cool way," he explained. "It creates these cool cyclical experiences where you sort of become omnivorous."

But there's more to it than that, and Osborne said there's a lot of end-game content that Bungie has yet to reveal to the public.

"We've named a raid, but that's just one of the examples of the kind of stuff we want to give player," he said. "Once they reach what they believe is the peak in the game, then we really just want to blow their minds with a whole bunch of crazy, like, 'Now go try that!'"

Under the surface

The Halo games were rife with mysteries, from the Halos themselves to the long-dead Forerunners. The world portrayed in those titles went far beyond the games.

Bungie is hoping to recreate that in Destiny with a web of mysteries that won't be wrapped up in a single game, Osborne revealed.

"We have a pretty good understanding of that full arc," he said. "It certainly isn't completed in the first entry to Destiny. We want to make sure that there's a great introduction to the world and you get a sense of completion as you finish the game, but we certainly want to leave a lot of mysteries out there and a lot of things for the player to do."

At the center of that web is The Traveler, an enormous spherical craft floating directly over Earth's last city. Questions about it will pervade this game and future entries in the Destiny series.

"We want people to sort of wonder what it is," Osborne said. "Is it good? Is it evil? Is it, you know, benevolent, as the people of the world believe it to be? Or is it something else? We want to preserve that sense of mystery across the world."

"And it's a fine line to strike," he continued. "You have to give people good storytelling and good characters and information about what they're doing, you know - make them feel like they have agency in the world, like what they're doing is important and going to drive to a conclusion.

"In the same sense you want to leave a lot of that mystery out there, because it drives that interest in that intrigue and sort of becomes captivating in its own right. It also sets the stage up for stories later down the line."

With Activision and Bungie's partnership spanning a full decade, there's no doubt there will be plenty of those.

The future of MMOs

Games, including Star Wars: The Old Republic and many others, have struggled to find footholds in a post-World of Warcraft industry.

But with a new generation of game consoles might come a new breed of MMOs, and Destiny could lead the charge.

These games could be story-driven and well-produced, and their mechanics won't be limited by what's been possible in past MMOs - just look at Destiny's solid shooting gameplay. And, perhaps most importantly, it will be easier than ever to play with your friends.

Whether Destiny will inspire a new generation of MMOs or these qualities will simply be incorporated in upcoming games of many genres is unclear, but for now it's enough to know the future is full of new possibilities.
[Source: Tech Radar]

Last edited by shadowlock; 06-30-2014 at 03:06 PM.
post #383 of 1749 Old 06-30-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

No conversation here on something recently posted on NeoGaf:

Eric Osborne (Urk) posted that a top guild(clan) was invited to try the Vault of Glass raid. 16 hours later they had not succeeded.

This is in response to raids being upwards of 4 hours to complete. There is some speculation on if they actually spent 16 hours on one playthrough or if they attempted it multiple times say 4 four hour sessions, but the end result is that raids are not to be taken lightly.

My body is ready.

post #384 of 1749 Old 06-30-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

So this really is just an FPS mmo...hmm...

personally the MMO model is sour to me. Spending several weeks to reach level cap, then several months grinding low level "dungeons" for intro raiding gear, followed by months of rehashed raiding just for gear is not of interest since the days of WoW.

I'm sure it will be exciting to many folks, but I really hope Bungie comes up with something more that doesn't turn the game into the elitist haves and the casual have-nots. A system like that is a breeding ground for player contention and eventual social divisions.

Twitch.tv:

post #385 of 1749 Old 07-01-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 243
4 hours? 16? You've got to be kidding me. I'm lucky to get 2 maybe 3 hours to play each night so, there is no way I'll ever start a mission that takes 4 hours to complete, much less 16.

I agree with you Epyon, if it is all about leveling up then I just don't think this will be the game for me. I enjoyed the alpha but even then it seemed like everyone was level 8 while I was stuck on 4, and I felt like I played the game a lot. I am a forever casual have-not and this is why I have lost interest in most online games, especially COD and BF. I just don't play enough to earn all the great weapons so, I just end up being an easy target that helps everyone else level up more.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #386 of 1749 Old 07-01-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
So this really is just an FPS mmo...hmm...

personally the MMO model is sour to me. Spending several weeks to reach level cap, then several months grinding low level "dungeons" for intro raiding gear, followed by months of rehashed raiding just for gear is not of interest since the days of WoW.

I'm sure it will be exciting to many folks, but I really hope Bungie comes up with something more that doesn't turn the game into the elitist haves and the casual have-nots. A system like that is a breeding ground for player contention and eventual social divisions.
Bungie is careful to say it is NOT an MMO. However, there are elements. Keep in mind the level cap of 20 is pretty low and really shouldn't take very long to achieve. Afterwards Bungie has talked about "Horizontal leveling" where you stay the same level but find better equipment/weapons and more exciting gear. At level 20 the legendary weapons for sale in the tower have 510 attack, which would allow you to damage anything in the game. (speculation)

Either way they've addressed that they will not have large gaps between players the way they've set it up. Even if they do have large gaps...thats part of the game. I'd expect someone who has been playing longer/better than I to have better items.

post #387 of 1749 Old 07-01-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
4 hours? 16? You've got to be kidding me. I'm lucky to get 2 maybe 3 hours to play each night so, there is no way I'll ever start a mission that takes 4 hours to complete, much less 16.

I agree with you Epyon, if it is all about leveling up then I just don't think this will be the game for me. I enjoyed the alpha but even then it seemed like everyone was level 8 while I was stuck on 4, and I felt like I played the game a lot. I am a forever casual have-not and this is why I have lost interest in most online games, especially COD and BF. I just don't play enough to earn all the great weapons so, I just end up being an easy target that helps everyone else level up more.
Don't shy away just yet.
1. You dont have to do Raids.
2. Its end game content that will not even be available until you've beat the game and leveled up/gotten better equip
3. Theres talks of "save points" during the raid that could possibly let you pick up a raid after you've started.

I'll be playing a lot of Destiny, and would be available to help you or anyone out. If you played "a lot" of the alpha but didn't level up past 4, then you just need some direction. The fact you leveled to four tells me you beat the first mission, but that you didn't encounter many public events during the patrol mission. Random enemies dont give much XP unless you're killing way above your level, which at 4 is difficult. You'd need to complete a public event to level up. Once you were at level 6 you could have done a strike. A strike is akin to the first mission in the alpha, but a bit longer 25-50 minutes, with multiple mini bosses.

Point is...with a bit of guidance or help you cant really help but to level up and get better gear.

post #388 of 1749 Old 07-01-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post
Bungie is careful to say it is NOT an MMO. However, there are elements. Keep in mind the level cap of 20 is pretty low and really shouldn't take very long to achieve. Afterwards Bungie has talked about "Horizontal leveling" where you stay the same level but find better equipment/weapons and more exciting gear. At level 20 the legendary weapons for sale in the tower have 510 attack, which would allow you to damage anything in the game. (speculation)

Either way they've addressed that they will not have large gaps between players the way they've set it up. Even if they do have large gaps...thats part of the game. I'd expect someone who has been playing longer/better than I to have better items.
So they keep saying it's not an MMO, but the alpha I played says that it is very much one. So let's say that you hit that lvl 20 cap on your three characters, then what? Go replay areas and grind for better items, to make your character stronger, to go on bigger raids, then repeat. Classic MMO formula. The low level cap is good for casual players and to keep the game from getting too lopsided in PVP, but it's going to force Bungie to crank out lots of content quickly to feed the hungry players.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #389 of 1749 Old 07-01-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 83
It's a FPMMRPS. First person massively multiplayer role playing shooter. Now everybody is happy.
post #390 of 1749 Old 07-01-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post
So they keep saying it's not an MMO, but the alpha I played says that it is very much one. So let's say that you hit that lvl 20 cap on your three characters, then what? Go replay areas and grind for better items, to make your character stronger, to go on bigger raids, then repeat. Classic MMO formula. The low level cap is good for casual players and to keep the game from getting too lopsided in PVP, but it's going to force Bungie to crank out lots of content quickly to feed the hungry players.

Ya that sounds about right. Except you will likely get to level 20 before you complete the campaign. So you'll finish the game, play some competitive MP, then want to continue onto end game content. You'll try a raid, figure you need better gear and tactics so you'll replay some of the harder strike again. Once you feel confident you try a raid, it takes a while, two weeks, for you to beat it but once you do you feel like you achieved something. By then you'll want to play some more MP. You do that for a few weeks then decide you want to just dance in the tower.

All that compared to beating the campaign, then only having MP to play or choose to replay the entire campaign on a harder difficulty/trophy hunt.

Comparing the two options, the first gives me a lot more to do.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Destiny

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page