AVS Forum banner

Bungie's Destiny

Tags
destiny
193K views 8K replies 220 participants last post by  jlpowell84 
#1 · (Edited)
Destiny AVS Players List
  • PSN ID: Snowlock Preferred Class: Warlock Timezone: EST (Thread Starter)
  • PSN ID: CrashLanding Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: PDT (Reference ID Requests with AVS)
  • PSN ID: joedeeze Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: Unknown
  • PSN ID: Dreamnought Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: GMT (Based in Scotland, UK)
  • PSN ID: ChitownJackalope Preferred Class:Warlock Timezone:CST
  • PSN ID: Kenshiro26 Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: Unknown
  • PSN ID: Epyon415 Preferred Class: Hunter Timezone: PST (Clan Moderator for AVS Destiny Clan on Bungie.net)
  • PSN ID: xTimbBerwolfx Preferred Class: Warlock Timezone: PST
  • PSN ID: xx_shiv_xx Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: ashunte Preferred Class: Titan Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: WormholeXtreme Preferred Class: Titan Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: dagreeng Preferred Class: Titan Timezone: PST
  • PSN ID: Trail-Mix-A-Lot Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: CST
  • PSN ID: Lazy_GenLus Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: Lodolfan16 Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: LordXarsNexus Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: CST
  • PSN ID: GeorgeMcFly1955 Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: AVS Dash Preferred Class: Hunter/Warlock Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: Arcadia808 Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: ABoxOfNails Preferred Class: Hunter Timezone: CST
  • PSN ID: Hockeypucks89 Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: Salminella Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: EST/EDT
  • PSN ID: icelt Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: CST
  • PSN ID: b2real Preferred Class: Titan Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: javant86 Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: CST
  • PSN ID: ThiefMnemonic Preferred Class: Titan Timezone: CST
  • PSN ID: Benjamin_Rush Preferred Class: Hunter Timezone: EST (but travels for work so indeterminate)
  • PSN ID: bucwylde23 Preferred Class: Titan Timzone: Unknown
  • PSN ID: Wolowizard74 Preferred Class: Hunter Timezone: CST
  • PSN ID: HazeDG13 Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: Unknown
  • PSN ID: Inquist75 Preferred Class: Titan Timezone: PST
  • PSN ID: BiffCo Preferred Class: Warlock Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: JShmoopy Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: Unknown
  • PSN ID: motherless Preferred Class: Warlock Timezone: Unknown
  • PSN ID: Dracowolfe Preferred Class: Hunter Timezone: Unknown
  • PSN ID: Cravit8 Preferred Class: Titan Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: SquelchOil Preferred Class: Titan Timezone: CST

Click Here for the original information on Destiny (i.e., the original 1st post for this thread):
Bungie has released details on their their 10 year
game/project, Destiny:
Quote:GAMING BLEND
Bungie's Destiny Concept Art, Gameplay Details Revealed
Author: Pete Haaspublished: 2013-02-17 10:19:12

Today Bungie formally revealed Destiny, their next video game franchise. They've provided a slew of new concept art and details about the first-person shooter, which will be arriving this year on Xbox 360, PS3, and "future generation technology."

Destiny's story was first outed in November along with a leaked set of images. The franchise is set hundreds of years in the future, in which humanity is on the brink of extinction because of invading aliens. They're saved by the arrival of The Traveler, a power and mysterious orb that now hovers over the Earth's remaining city to protect it from harm. This Traveler has magical powers that humans can wield.

Players take on the role of Earth's warriors, who travel the universe fighting various aliens. Enemy factions seen in today's concept art include the Cabal, the Fallen, and Spider Pirates. You'll even fight "space zombies," though they probably won't be called that.

You won't have to battle these enemies alone.Destiny is described as "MMO-ish" and always connected. There will be opportunities to team up with players - or compete with them. Earth's last city acts as a social hub. Although the multiplayer has a massive scale, there's no subscription fee.

Customization is a key part of the game. One of the important choices players will make is their character class. Three classes have been revealed by Bungie. The Titan is a heavily armored gunslinger. The Warlock uses magic and apparently has a robot companion. Hunters seem to be stealthy, sniper types.

The IGN video below goes through each of the new pieces of concept art to provide some context. All of the individual pieces of art are below as well (via NeoGAF).

IGN has also put together a YouTube video detailing what they could glean from the concept art that Bungie released:

EDIT: Removed video link because video is no longer active there.

See less See more
#669 ·
There were challenges to win Iron Banner rewards if you had the right stuff equipped too, but I could never find where to equip it. Frankly the "banners" or whatever they are look pointless to me, unless you just want to stand out or match your clan. In the end I couldn't really find a difference with the Iron Banner vs. normal crucible matches other than the promise of nicer loot.

#670 ·
There's a huge difference between Iron Banner and standard Crucible.

Standard Crucible Control PVP = damage and certain skills are standardized, so that no one has a damage advantage over another. However, certain upgrades to your weapons are kept. For instance, my auto rifle retained the upgrade that reduced recoil when firing. My rocket launcher also kept the upgrade that locks on to targets and follows them (fantastic for blowing people up on the other side of the map).

Iron Banner Control PVP = Bungie said on a Twitter feed that you take your best weapon into the match. Meaning, all damage upgrades and character abilities are in play.

In a standard Control match, I was hardly ever one-shotted at close range by a shotgun. If I did, it would have to be pointblank. In Iron Banner, I was getting killed at close to mid-range in a single shot.

#671 ·
After playing the ps3 version I had an absolute blast with it and pre-ordered the beautiful white Destiny PS4 bundle. Can't wait. My main gripe and its purely from the beta is that every weapon whether it be common or legendary looked the exact same minus a different skin. I've read that there will be varying models of weapons but seeing the same weapon design over and over was worrisome.

#674 ·
Since all we had available to us was uncommon and common weapons, it appears that the upgrades that you unlock will change the appearance of your weapons, such as the sights. Higher level rarity weapons will probably come with more swappable upgrades which will change the appearance of your guns.

Other than that, we will have to wait and see.

#672 ·
I thought th e weapons looked different. I had several automatic machine gun type weapons and they all llooked different to me.

#673 ·
Well there are fusion rifles, machine guns, scout rifles, etc., that can all be automatic but in the beta, every scout rifle had the same body style except for paint and maybe a scope. Every fusion rifle was the same except for paint and so on. Even the legendaries that you could by from vendors all had the same model based on their type. I think that it was just what they did for the beta though, not an indication of what is going to be in the final game.

#675 ·
Gotta say I enjoyed the beta and the way this game controls. Bungie has the shooting mechanics and weapon balance down to an art form. The rewards pacing seems just right. The PvP matchmaking was quick every time and I didn't have one crash.

My only concerns are about the overworld area size, with its abundance of invisible walls and the rather high amount of "turn back now or death" zones. I am one of those people that wants to wander the entire length of that giant wall in Old Russia, but it's just a backdrop for now. I understand how a beta test works, yet my gaming gut is telling me that pretty much what's walled off in the overworld will stay that way. Corridors leading me around the world is ok and all but I'm hoping for more unstructured, open-ended exploration.

#676 ·
Bungie details "endgame" content (for those worried about hitting the level cap too quickly). In addition to Strikes, Bungie has created a couple of game types called RAIDS (like an mmo) and NIGHTFALL content:

IF YOU PLAYED THE BETA, BE SURE TO WATCH THIS VID!

This is probably the most detailed video that Bungie has ever done without trying to tease. Good information inside (as well as new content that we haven't seen before):

Reactions: aaronwt
#677 ·
More information on Raids below. By the way they describe it, it looks like I'll only get to do story missions on school nights, Strikes on the weekends, and Raids on Holidays (or just over Christmas and Summer Break).

Bungie, why, oh why, couldn't you have released the game on May 27th of this year? :crying:

Bungie: Destiny Endgame Begins as the Story Ends, Explains Raids
July 30, 2014 Written by Alex Co

It seems in Destiny, reaching the sci-fi shooter-RPG’s end is just but the start according to Bungie’s Luke Smith. Yeah, that might sound a bit odd, but here’s what he meant.

I think Destiny’s endgame begins as soon as you see the way the story ends…As soon as you see the way we wrap up the sort of first piece of the adventure that we’re going to tell because we want to set you back out into the world to keep going. We want to try to align your motivations as the player with the motivations of the character who you’ve been pushing around this world. So for us I think a bunch of the endgame starts right at level 20.

Just in case you didn’t know, Destiny will have “raids” as well, and Smith has, for the first time, spoken out about it and what it entails from the player. First off, raids in Destiny will be capped at six players, and will be limited to friends only — meaning it won’t support matchmaking. Also bear in mind that raids in Destiny are not like Strikes, which takes 20-60 minutes to finish, but will take a “couple of hours.”

The activity is going to take you and your group of five buddies into a place that you’ve never been…A place that you will return to frequently. And [it will] demand of you things you’ve never even really been asked to do in a shooter before.

Smith adds that he doesn’t expect a group to finish a raid in its first time through it, and explains how your character’s in-game level will help in how you tackle it.

One of the things we have never talked about – we haven’t really talked about raiding at all…One of the things we certainly haven’t talked about is that [raids aren’t] an activity that we expect you to get through the first time through.

Unlike a bunch of the other activities in Destiny, where you begin the activity – like let’s say you pick the level-22 Strike playlist – everything in that activity is going to be level 22. It’s going to be consistent. If you’re level 26, you’re going to have some relationship to it. You’re going to be more powerful than that activity. In a raid, when the raid begins at level 25, it’s not where it ends. Like part of going the raid is the journey of gearing up; building your arsenal to react to the situations that it’s going to ask you to go through.

Anyone looking forward to raids in Destiny or are you more interested in PvP or just tackling the story-related missions?
Source: [Playstation Lifestyle]

Reactions: agnathra
#678 ·
Finally here is a link to the actual IGN article for the interview and the text of the interview below. If you can go to IGN, I'd recommend doing so because they have videos available that I've not posted yet to this thread. I've posted the text of the interview for those who may be reading this behind a firewall.

Link--IGN Destiny Raids Explained

DESTINY: THE ENDGAME IS ONLY THE BEGINNING – IGN FIRST
BY RYAN MCCAFFREY

Raids should keep you busy for quite some time. The Destiny you play after 20 hours is likely to be very different than the Destiny you play up until then, if Bungie’s Luke Smith has any say in the matter (spoiler: he does).

“I think Destiny's endgame begins as soon as you see the way the story ends,” Smith begins. “As soon as you see the way we wrap up the sort of first piece of the adventure that we're going to tell because we want to set you back out into the world to keep going. We want to try to align your motivations as the player with the motivations of the character who you've been pushing around this world. So for us I think a bunch of the endgame starts right at level 20.”

A big part of this is raids. Though Bungie has been careful to distance itself from traditional MMO terminology such as instances and raids, the nomenclature is very much applicable to the upcoming “shared-world shooter.” Story quests are like instances for you and your fireteam, while raids – something Bungie hasn’t spoken much about until now – are one of Destiny’s most intriguing and mysterious elements. According to Smith, raids are, in fact, “one of the pillars of the game.”

Raids are “extremely crafted,” six-player, friends-only gauntlet runs that might best be described as gut-checks. Yes, they will be difficult, and they will absolutely require communication and cooperation. That’s why Bungie isn’t supporting matchmaking for them; the developers don’t want them to be played by disparate groups of strangers. But Smith is quick to point out that they’re not like Strikes – the instanced dungeon-like runs that might take a mere 20-60 minutes – but more like MMO raids in that you’re going to want to buckle up and get comfortable for a couple hours.

“The activity is going to take you and your group of five buddies into a place that you’ve never been,” Smith explains. “A place that you will return to frequently. And [it will] demand of you things you’ve never even really been asked to do in a shooter before.”

This brings with it a number of unique challenges, chief among them being, How do you do this in a shooter and make it fun? Smith has been pondering the same question.

“Often times in MMO raiding – of which I have done a fair bit of,” he begins, “You end up battling against the UI. You're battling against your add-ons. You're battling against clicking. It's not kinetic; it's not an action game.”

He continues: “How do we make something that leverages all of the feelings of the raiding that we understand from a game like Warcraft or EverQuest: cooperation, relying on each other, teamwork, and how do you marry that with a game where you jump, shoot, have abilities, supers, grenades that you activate? How do we bring those things together, and then, on top of all that, create an activity where everyone in the activity has a job, they have a role?”

And then, Smith added ominously, “It's getting people together and getting them into a group and making your way down to the Vault of Glass and seeing what's at the bottom of it – if you can get that far.”

That’s not to say raids will be impossible, but this is Bungie, after all – a studio famous for challenging fans with the Legendary difficulty setting in its Halo games: “One of the things we have never talked about – we haven't really talked about raiding at all,” Smith starts. “One of the things we certainly haven't talked about is that [raids aren’t] an activity that we expect you to get through the first time through.

“Unlike a bunch of the other activities in Destiny, where you begin the activity – like let's say you pick the level-22 Strike playlist – everything in that activity is going to be level 22. It's going to be consistent. If you're level 26, you're going to have some relationship to it. You're going to be more powerful than that activity. In a raid, when the raid begins at level 25, it's not where it ends. Like part of going the raid is the journey of gearing up; building your arsenal to react to the situations that it's going to ask you to go through.”

In other words, you’re going to suffer. But it’s going to be a fun kind of suffering that makes for a better water-cooler moment with your friends later. And that will be partly fueled by the mystery involved. ““We don't adhere to any of the standard rules for the rest of the game,” Smith says. “Like, raids don't have waypoints, they don't tell you where to go, they don't tell you what to do.”

But what is it about raids that separates them from the rest of the game? Smith is quick with an answer:

“I think the E3 experience video [Ed. Note: See above] had the narrator talking about the hardest thing we've ever built and we showed a jumping puzzle. Like, the hardest thing we've ever built is a jumping puzzle? The jumping puzzle is just one part but it's this interesting representation of the philosophy behind a bunch of the raiding which is taking something simple, something that you've done, you understand, and then asking six of you to do it together. In a nutshell, that's some of the philosophy that was driving raid design as we were building the first raid in Destiny.”

Surely something this epic and involved has to have an ultimate showdown, right? A boss? “Obviously we're going to have big cool bosses,” Smith reveals. “I think that we've given people a taste in Strikes of what the bosses are and what they can do. The raid bosses are different: they're still big monsters, much like what you're going to see, they're still scary, but they have a bunch of abilities that are unlike anything you've really experienced in a shooter before. And I don't say that to be a douchebag and I don't say it because it's a cool bullet point, I say it because when we were building this thing there was nothing that any of us could go home to play to try and learn from. I mean we were – as we were going – building and learning and failing along the way to find cool mechanics and occasionally we'd succeed.”

Raids are far from the only post-campaign high-level activity at your disposal, however. While Bungie confirms there will be no “New Game Plus” mode, you will be given reasons to want to come back on a regular basis. “A lot of what's going to drive you is going to be logging in every day, seeing what's in that featured activities pane on your director, and then going into the Tower to get your bounties for the day,” Smith says.

“Bounties are this opportunity for you to create a parallel progression for what you're doing for a day: It's like allowing you to optimize, people love that; I mean I love that. I mean that's the thing that we do every night when a couple of us pretty much play every night from six until embarrassing o'clock. And we're like, the first thing we do is log in, grab the bounties, synchronize what we're going to do, and then either head off to play explorer, and then we tip over the daily activities, and if we haven't done it, we'll knock out the weekly Nightfall activity and get our guys rolling. And then, like, I do that on all three of my characters.”

Asked what a Nightfall activity is, Smith explains: “Nightfall activities come in two flavors: daily and weekly. They have extremely exotic rewards.”

“We want to have activities that occupy the range of challenge for you,” Smith says, changing gears slightly. “So if you're a fresh level 20 you can play the Nightfall daily activity at level 22 and it's going to be hard. It's going to be challenging. But you can get through it, maybe. Maybe if you have some friends. The weekly Nightfall activity is something that pushes all the way out as far as the leveling allows you to go in Destiny. So it ends up occupying at the far end of the spectrum: this extremely high gameplay investment challenge. Like it's both the toughest guys we can throw at you that's going to require the best gear, and it's going to have a bunch of modifiers on it that make it even harder.”

Back to the smorgasbord of endgame content. “After level 20 there are a bunch of Strikes that become available to you,” Smith adds. “So the first thing that you're going to jump into is probably Strikes and PvP. In Strikes and PvP you're going to be accumulating reputation with the Vanguard, and also currency. And you use that currency potentially to buy legendary gear, faster Sparrows, so it's this one axis.” We can also look forward to a daily story chapter, Smith adds.

Still, it’s clear that raids are what are nearest and dearest to Smith’s heart when it comes to Destiny’s post-campaign content. But even he acknowledges that they might not please all players. “Raids are a really big bet for us,” he explains. “It's a bit of a risk. Because the activity requires you to have a group of five other friends to play with.”

Of course, Bungie employed this same tactic with Halo 3: ODST’s Firefight mode, and the lack of matchmaking certainly didn’t derail the gametype’s popularity. Smith is pragmatic with regards to his optimism: “Like, if the worst thing that happens is you get your group together and you all have a great time, and make your way through the first difficulty level of the raid? Wow, that's going to be awesome. I bet you'll want to come back. Hopefully the gear makes you want to come back.”

Reactions: agnathra
#679 ·
So one key thing in that interview that likely could be a failure is the fact the "raids" require you to have 5 other people who you must know in order to experience the content.

Not sure how acceptable that is gonna be for majority of the casual gamers. Standard MMOs are being build around these matchmaking, group finders. Limiting who can access content is the recipe for elitists which plays out SOOOO well in other online community games :rolleyes: ; hopefully they dont stick to this and find a suitable option, otherwise level 20 will really be the "end game".

#680 ·
Yup--that's the sentiment of the comments sections of all of the places where I've seen this info./article posted.

There ARE ways around it.

High Tech: Go to Bungie.net and join one of their Clans (like one of our members did about 5 pages back in this thread) OR advertise on THIS thread for members.

Low Tech: As you go on Strikes (or while in Explore mode), notice who actually plays well and is a team-player (vs. those who just screw around or pull out of the strike once it starts getting hard). At the end of the Strike, jot down their PSN ID and send them a friend request.

After I post this msg, I'm going to switch out the 1st Post as a "Destiny Friend Request" Page. I really, REALLY hope someone will take up the job to compile AVS members PSN IDs so that I can post them into the 1st Post. I wasn't too concerned with it before, but now with this information, we NEED a Destiny AVS Clan.

#681 ·
Okay, so I switched out the 1st post with a barebones "meet-up" page. I even seeded it with my own info. If members would post their info, I'll try to add it. Don't be surprised if I'm pretty slow in changing out the 1st page tho'. Any members who want to send me a friend request, put Destiny or AVS in the msg.

#690 ·
Added to 1st post!

#691 ·
Also added to 1st post.

#693 · (Edited)
Here is a stat page of the Destiny Beta (It's a little hard to read here--click on the source for a larger version):

Source: [Bungie.net]

Reactions: tampabuc
#694 ·
More information on High Level Progression (video shows a Lvl "29" character--Level 20+):
Bungie Shows How to Progress Past Level 20 in Destiny, “Motes of Light” Explained
August 2, 2014 Written by Zarmena Khan

It’s been known since Destiny’s beta that Guardians cannot progress past level 20 in the traditional way, however, they’re able to go beyond the level cap by collecting “Motes of Light,” which are available when you get to level 20. Bungie has now detailed how this works.

Players can gather the collectibles and take them to the Tower aka Destiny’s social hub. The Speaker character will then exchange the items for special armor, which will boost your character stats. Keep in mind that you’ll still show as a level-20 player in your character menu, but your playercard will show the actual level, which others can see as well. You’ll be stronger and will be able to take on more difficult missions with your character’s strength.

Destiny’s designer Sage Merrill told IGN that at level 20, you’ll have “all the tools in your toolbox” to “go out and do pretty much any activity you like.” However, some missions will require players to be on a higher level than that.
Source: [Playstation Lifestyle]

Video from IGN First:

#696 ·
Isn't the Digital Guardian version the highest digital option?

#702 ·
Does the DG version also include the DLC pass?

I pre-ordered the regular version but I think I can still upgrade through the PS Store.
Yes the Digital Guardian version is supposed to include the DLC(Access to the Destiny Epansion Pass). As well as a special Ghost Casing, Player Ship and Player Emblem. And early Access to the Vanguard Armory(not sure what this is)

So for $90 it seems like a decent deal.

#703 ·
started a clan: http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/167388

AVS Clan

need others to join.

Shadow add me to the first post please,

PST - Primary: Hunter
In order to join a clan you have to join the "group" first. Once you are admitted to the group, there will be another option in the website for clan. You go to clan to join.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.