Bungie's Destiny - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1255Likes

post #691 of 7368 Old 08-02-2014, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Zen- View Post
I'll be playing Destiny on the 9th and have a week off work to play on release! If anyone wants to make a fireteam or raiding group, regardless of time zone:

PSN: Dreamnought
Based in Scotland, UK, GMT
Also added to 1st post.

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 7368 Old 08-02-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You could also say the opposite. In the Summer people typically spend more time outside and spend less time inside watching tv or playing video games.
Late fall/Winter would be the time to get more people playing.

Is Destiny aimed at all ages or is it a game aimed at mature players?
True enough. That's the rationale TV uses for running reruns during the summer. However, even with people who work full time, there's the perception that people generally have more leisure time during the summer months--through vacations, school breaks, etc. whether its true or not. Red Dead Redemption is the example that I used because I can remember many of the people on both my Friends List and my Block List popping Platinum Trophies left and right on that game during the summer after it was released . Although I hated the game and traded it in, I remember that to get a plat., in it you had to do some fairly involved online stuff. Destiny's Raids and non-matchmaking for raids seem tailor made for the summer months, but as long as Destiny is successful, I don't guess it really matters when Bungie releases it.

Destiny is a T (TEEN) rated game (which caused a minor controversy with the Internet as the Halo games were rated M and many fans wondered if Destiny was "watered down" in order to appeal to the mass market. Here's a reddit discussion of the controversy). As long as kids aren't staying up late to play it (& end up falling asleep in my class), I'll take a Teen rating on it just as much as a Mature rating.

post #693 of 7368 Old 08-02-2014, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is a stat page of the Destiny Beta (It's a little hard to read here--click on the source for a larger version):

Source: [Bungie.net]
tampabuc likes this.

Last edited by shadowlock; 08-02-2014 at 07:32 PM.
post #694 of 7368 Old 08-03-2014, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

More information on High Level Progression (video shows a Lvl "29" character--Level 20+):
Quote:
Bungie Shows How to Progress Past Level 20 in Destiny, “Motes of Light” Explained
August 2, 2014 Written by Zarmena Khan

It’s been known since Destiny’s beta that Guardians cannot progress past level 20 in the traditional way, however, they’re able to go beyond the level cap by collecting “Motes of Light,” which are available when you get to level 20. Bungie has now detailed how this works.

Players can gather the collectibles and take them to the Tower aka Destiny’s social hub. The Speaker character will then exchange the items for special armor, which will boost your character stats. Keep in mind that you’ll still show as a level-20 player in your character menu, but your playercard will show the actual level, which others can see as well. You’ll be stronger and will be able to take on more difficult missions with your character’s strength.

Destiny’s designer Sage Merrill told IGN that at level 20, you’ll have “all the tools in your toolbox” to “go out and do pretty much any activity you like.” However, some missions will require players to be on a higher level than that.
Source: [Playstation Lifestyle]

Video from IGN First:

post #695 of 7368 Old 08-04-2014, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 43
What is the best way to buy Destiny digitally and still get all the goodies? I've got a psn wallet that needs spending.
post #696 of 7368 Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1701 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Isn't the Digital Guardian version the highest digital option?
post #697 of 7368 Old 08-05-2014, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Does the DG version also include the DLC pass?

I pre-ordered the regular version but I think I can still upgrade through the PS Store.

PSN Username - Kenshiro26
XBOX LIVE Gamertag - Kenshiro 26
Steam Username - Kenshiro_26
Origin ID - Kenshiro26
post #698 of 7368 Old 08-05-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 347
What would be a good clan name?? Should it span both PS & Xbox?

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #699 of 7368 Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

started a clan: http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/167388

AVS Clan

need others to join.

Shadow add me to the first post please,

PST - Primary: Hunter

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #700 of 7368 Old 08-08-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Please add my info to first post:

CST - Preferred: Warlock

PSN = ChitownJackalope

Blackhawk Down(stairs) Theater
post #701 of 7368 Old 08-08-2014, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Clan request sent for the PS4 clan.

PSN Username - Kenshiro26
XBOX LIVE Gamertag - Kenshiro 26
Steam Username - Kenshiro_26
Origin ID - Kenshiro26
post #702 of 7368 Old 08-08-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26 View Post
Does the DG version also include the DLC pass?

I pre-ordered the regular version but I think I can still upgrade through the PS Store.
Yes the Digital Guardian version is supposed to include the DLC(Access to the Destiny Epansion Pass). As well as a special Ghost Casing, Player Ship and Player Emblem. And early Access to the Vanguard Armory(not sure what this is)

So for $90 it seems like a decent deal.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #703 of 7368 Old 08-08-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

AVS Clan

need others to join.

In order to join a clan you have to join the "group" first. Once you are admitted to the group, there will be another option in the website for clan. You go to clan to join.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #704 of 7368 Old 08-08-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I put in my request on the Bungie site. It says it takes time to process so it should show up in a day or so to whoever is running the clan at the site.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #705 of 7368 Old 08-08-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Approved all requests. NOM clan formed an alliance, so more people to co-op with hopefully.

If anyone wants to help with the admin tasks let me know.

edit: I see what conspiracy is talking about; make sure to click on clan in the menu so you can make it your primary clan. Think just now it is only a bungie.net group. Also NOM Clan sent an alliance request so let's see how that feature works.

YouTube Gameplay Videos

Last edited by Epyon415; 08-08-2014 at 04:41 PM.
post #706 of 7368 Old 08-09-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Approved all requests. NOM clan formed an alliance, so more people to co-op with hopefully.

If anyone wants to help with the admin tasks let me know.

edit: I see what conspiracy is talking about; make sure to click on clan in the menu so you can make it your primary clan. Think just now it is only a bungie.net group. Also NOM Clan sent an alliance request so let's see how that feature works.
Just noticed the "Set as PlayStation Clan" button in the upper left. I clicked it and then got the "You have joined this clan" notification, so should be all good.

I would be willing to help with admin stuff. I am three hours behind most everyone since I'm in Oregon so careful with the deadlines lol

post #707 of 7368 Old 08-09-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post
Just noticed the "Set as PlayStation Clan" button in the upper left. I clicked it and then got the "You have joined this clan" notification, so should be all good.

I would be willing to help with admin stuff. I am three hours behind most everyone since I'm in Oregon so careful with the deadlines lol
Cool, I'll promote ya. I'm in WA so one of us can be to blame

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #708 of 7368 Old 08-09-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Destiny LE available again on Amazon right now.

The LE version is available again at Amazon if anyone's looking. If you plan on getting the expansions it's a good deal. Plus I'm a sucker for a metal game box.

Quote:
Cool, I'll promote ya. I'm in WA so one of us can be to blame
2/3 of my friends list is east coast or central so just warning those guys in advance

post #709 of 7368 Old 08-12-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

AVS Clan

need others to join.

Quote:
Please add my info to first post:

CST - Preferred: Warlock
PSN = ChitownJackalope
Added both to the 1st post.

post #710 of 7368 Old 08-12-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bungie Beta News (maybe old to some):

Quote:
Destiny Beta Characters Won’t Transfer to Full Game, Bungie Confirms
August 9, 2014 Written by Zarmena Khan

This news is going to stun the world. Not really. It was a beta after all. But since a lot of fans have been dying for an official confirmation, Bungie has confirmed in this week’s update that our Destiny beta characters will not transfer to the full game. As a matter of fact, “vaults have been cleaned out, too.”

Joining Community Manager David ‘Deej’ Dague this week was Bungie designer Tyson Green who said:

Since the Beta, we’ve continued to tune and adjust the game. The way you earn experience has been adjusted up and down a bunch of times. Items have been added and removed. New features toggled. Although there’s no single monumental change, the sum of the tweaks leaves characters from the Beta Build in strange shape that would be confusing at best, broken at worst.

Don’t forget that Bungie is scheduled to make an appearance at Gamescom. In response to a question asking if there are any more secrets to be revealed about Destiny before its launch, Deej hinted that there may be some news to share at the event which fans will be interested in. Stay tuned to find out!

post #711 of 7368 Old 08-12-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

gamescom news for Destiny (trailer referred to by article is in post beneath the article):

Quote:
gamescom 2014: Destiny Multiplayer Trailer Revealed, First DLC “The Dark Below” Given Release Window (Update)
August 12, 2014 Written by Alex Co

Update:

Announced as part of the trailer’s reveal (and now sent over by Activision), was that Destiny is now the “most pre-ordered new IP in history.” No official numbers has been given, but GameStop Senior Vice President of Merchandising Bob Puzon states:

With the launch of Activision’s Destiny just around the corner, our GameStop associates are working diligently to prepare for what is currently our highest pre-ordered new IP in history. Based on the consumer excitement we are encountering in our stores every day, Destiny is on track to deliver a tremendous gaming experience.

Original Story:

As part of its gamescom presser, Sony had Bungie come on stage to reveal its first trailer for Destiny’s competitive multiplayer.

Shown were not only chaotic action, but the game modes for PvP were listed, too. Catch the trailer to know what mode aside from Control you’ll experience come September 9.

Also as part of the Destiny announcement, it was revealed that the title’s first expansion called The Dark Below, will be out for PlayStation gamers in December as part of its timed exclusivity agreement with Sony.

Anyone planning on some Destiny PvP come September? Or will you be too busy looting?

aaronwt likes this.

post #712 of 7368 Old 08-13-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I'm sure this has already been discussed at some point in this thread, but I haven't read all 24 pages. Anyways.. here goes..

So, let's say that I've enjoyed most of the Halo games, but have absolutely zero interest in all the MMO crap included with this game. Is there any way for me to just play the "story" part of the game without all the annoying MMO crap ?

When I say "MMO Crap", I'm mostly referring to the constantly respawning enemies that basically kill the game for me.

I tried both the Alpha and the Beta, and there are certain things that I absolutely love about Destiny, but there are other things that made me want to stop playing immediately and delete the demo. I'd have to imagine that even though I might be in the minority in terms of not having any interest at all in all the MMO online type stuff, there has to be a million people like me that just want to play a new single player type Halo campaign (yes, I know this game isn't Halo, but you know what I'm sayin...)

You'd think that Bungie would have some type of option available in the game, for players like me that can't stand all the respawning bullcrap. Otherwise, I would imagine that there are going to be thousands of players that are going to be pretty disgusted with Destiny upon release. Sure, I know there are millions of gamers that absolutely love all the MMO stuff, and they'll be happy as a clam, but what about the rest of us ?

There has to other single player type gamers that feel the way I do ? Maybe this is just a case of me needing to just write off Destiny as a game to even consider, but it's a damn shame if that's the case, cause like I said earlier, there are certain things about Destiny I really liked, if only all that MMO Crap didn't get in the way.
post #713 of 7368 Old 08-13-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
I'm sure this has already been discussed at some point in this thread, but I haven't read all 24 pages. Anyways.. here goes..

So, let's say that I've enjoyed most of the Halo games, but have absolutely zero interest in all the MMO crap included with this game. Is there any way for me to just play the "story" part of the game without all the annoying MMO crap ?

When I say "MMO Crap", I'm mostly referring to the constantly respawning enemies that basically kill the game for me.

I tried both the Alpha and the Beta, and there are certain things that I absolutely love about Destiny, but there are other things that made me want to stop playing immediately and delete the demo. I'd have to imagine that even though I might be in the minority in terms of not having any interest at all in all the MMO online type stuff, there has to be a million people like me that just want to play a new single player type Halo campaign (yes, I know this game isn't Halo, but you know what I'm sayin...)

You'd think that Bungie would have some type of option available in the game, for players like me that can't stand all the respawning bullcrap. Otherwise, I would imagine that there are going to be thousands of players that are going to be pretty disgusted with Destiny upon release. Sure, I know there are millions of gamers that absolutely love all the MMO stuff, and they'll be happy as a clam, but what about the rest of us ?

There has to other single player type gamers that feel the way I do ? Maybe this is just a case of me needing to just write off Destiny as a game to even consider, but it's a damn shame if that's the case, cause like I said earlier, there are certain things about Destiny I really liked, if only all that MMO Crap didn't get in the way.
Nope. Destiny is what you played love it or leave it and I say that as I contemplate leaving it myself. I'm fully paid for but the alpha and beta really deflated my interest. The game is cool and fun but its just too much of a hybrid that doesn't do enough of any one thing and there's too much DLC planned right out of the gate. In this case I'd rather pay a sub and have regular content than chunks to buy here and there. Crucible was ok but my gut feeling is that 75% of your cumulative playtime will be there. In a game like KZ or COD I don't mind spending more time on MP but this game IMO needs to be story heavy. I get the feeling were looking at like 20 to 40 hours of actually story in the core game with the expectation Crucible handles the rest. I already have my shooter fix, story fix, and mmo fix so I'm not sure where destiny falls. I'm thinking a quick story run and trade at most but we'll see how it shakes out really soon.
post #714 of 7368 Old 08-13-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand the feeling. You want to play the campaign without the hours leveling up just for the privilege of playing the next story chapter. Maybe you want to replay the story just because it was fun the first time. A mmo like Destiny means that ain't happening unless you put in the hours on a new character and whatnot.

I really like a well done single player game with a good story. I have a few of them that I replay once a year because they are so well done. Also enjoy the serenity of playing a solo story because there's no trolling, spamming, and no players making their character dance in the middle of a giant fight instead of helping out while you're getting blown up by a 3 story tall creature from hell. I'm still all in for Destiny, at least this first one. Other people that play correctly to group with are a big help in having fun with this one.

post #715 of 7368 Old 08-15-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
I don't really get your point. They have no reason to offer that type of option as it would essentially break the leveling system. Bungie hasn't been deceptive in marketing this game as an MMO/FPS hybrid, they were talking about the MMO-ness of it pretty much from the get go.

Sounds like you were expecting something different, which is fine, we all have different expectations for games. But just because it doesn't fit your expectations doesn't mean the game should be changed to suit your needs. Just don't play it.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #716 of 7368 Old 08-15-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 302
post #717 of 7368 Old 08-15-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 215
post #718 of 7368 Old 08-19-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I'm having a problem deciding which version to buy - PS4 or X1? PS4 beta looked better to me than X1, but then X1 version was 900p, not true 1080p like the PS4 version. Now I hear Bungie is making the X1 version 1080p also, but wonder what sacrifices (if any) they've had to make to achieve it. I was going to get the PS4 version but then most of my friends list is on X1. I play on 120" screen so best resolution & frame rate is preferred. Hard to decide. #firstworldproblems

Sony HW40es Projector / 106" Silver Ticket screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
PS4 GT: Ringo619
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
post #719 of 7368 Old 08-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post
I'm having a problem deciding which version to buy - PS4 or X1? PS4 beta looked better to me than X1, but then X1 version was 900p, not true 1080p like the PS4 version. Now I hear Bungie is making the X1 version 1080p also, but wonder what sacrifices (if any) they've had to make to achieve it. I was going to get the PS4 version but then most of my friends list is on X1. I play on 120" screen so best resolution & frame rate is preferred. Hard to decide. #firstworldproblems
Always get it on the platform of the friends you like to play with the best. Either version is going to look great and to me having the most fun kicks slightly better graphics in the nads.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR | Sony S5100 BD Player
post #720 of 7368 Old 08-19-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

The PS4 version also gets all the love. It gets first access to alot of content. This is why I purchased the Digital Guardian Edition for my PS4. Although I still might get it for my XBOnes too. But with Forza Horizon 2, Drive Club, and the Halo MC collection coming out, I'll probably just stick with the PS4 version since I doubt I will have time for Destiny on the XBOne with the other content coming out. I also forgot about Sunset Overdrive too. Yeah. There is no way I will have time to play it on both consoles.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Destiny

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page