Bungie's Destiny - Page 8 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1117Likes

post #211 of 6761 Old 06-12-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Damn, I signed up for that Alpha thing right away, but I don't have any notifications or messages to my PSN name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Damn, I signed up for that Alpha thing right away, but I don't have any notifications or messages to my PSN name.
They email you the code

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #213 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 95
No E-Mail for me either.

XBL : neonima

PSN : NeoNima
post #214 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Damn, so after about 5 hours of gameplay last night I am totally blown away. I cannot believe that this is an alpha build of the game...the graphics and sound are just ridunkulous.

I have a feeling that when I am not with my dad this weekend I will be consumed by this game. Which reminds me, why do companies always do stuff like this on holiday weekends.
post #215 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The game runs very smooth. Only played the first story mission and a round of MP domination like game. The story mode plays alot like Borderlands. So far, it's pretty good

The Weekend Warriors
post #216 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

So here is my little summary so far. From talking to a buddy of mine it sounded like Destiny is pretty much Borderlands 2 with insane graphics. You start off by selecting the species you want to be (my guy looks like a frost giant from Thor - how can you be a boring human in a game like this) and adjusting things like skin tone, hair color, etc. From there it takes into the dropship cutscene and you are off and running.

From the beginning you are dropped into a area where you must traverse the landscape (which is ginormous) taking out any baddies on the way until you reach the radio tower. The outside environments are just insane, the scale is off the charts and the visuals are mind blowing..especially for an Alpha. Once I got in side that is where you could see some of the best visual. With the dark corridors and early noises it made for a really intense experience. There was actually a part where you are in a pitch black room with only a flashlight. As I was going through I started to hear some noises moving around me and all of the sudden Alien style comes out a horde of some crazy looking creatures. Believe me when I tell you that this made me jump in my seat and got the adrenaline flowing...I have not had an experience like that in a game in a long time.

As for the guns and your guy...customization galore. I did not get too much into that so maybe Red or someone who played more can talk about it but there is a lot to do. I only had one gun at the time that I could customize and I had not ranked it up enough to do anything by the time I got off. As for the soldier itself, there is just as much to do. From upgrading your helmet, armor, boots, gloves, it is all there and it all makes a difference. Again, I did not get to do a lot of this but I have a feeling I will be able to over the weekend.

All in all I cannot wait till this comes out. I never really got into Borderlands and I thought it was because of the play style, but being as I like this so much I think it was just the paper style graphics that threw me off (I know, it is a bad reason to not play a game). As it stands I cannot wait for the Beta to drop on July 17th.
post #217 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I downloaded the file last night, but have not had a chance to play yet. WHY does this have to come out on the opening weekend of the World Cup??
DarrellG likes this.

PSN = ChitownJackalope

Blackhawk Down(stairs) Theater
post #218 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked: 931
So the beta is only in a month. That isn't too long. I'm just curious what the differences will be between the two systems. I plan on trying the beta on both the XBOne and PS4. Although I'm still not sure if this is the type of game I will like.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #219 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Here are my impressions after my short time playing last night.

I basically did the first mission and then explored the Tower (where you level up, buy equipment upgrades, armor etc.). It's not bad but I'm not sure it is the type of game that will hold my interest for an extended period of time. Right now it seems pretty linear which is something I thought Bungie said it wasn't going to be but, maybe this is just for the alpha. What I mean is, you have to do the first mission, which then unlocks the next mission, which I guess will unlock the next mission after that. I swear Bungie has been saying you can do anything in any way you want but, that doesn't seem true, at least not for the alpha. In fact, I'm not quit sure what I'm suppose to be doing or what my goal is, other then working through these missions. I guess I'm just not seeing the bigger picture yet.

Gameplay seems fine and will be very familiar to anyone who has spent time in the Halo universe. In fact, to me, it felt almost exactly like Halo. The way your character moves, the feel of the guns and the way the enemies react all feel just like Halo. This was probably to be expected since it is from the same guys who created Halo. Even the look of the guns is very similar. Fans of that universe are going to feel right at home in Destiny, which will be great for those who decided to switch from Xbox to PS4 this generation, you're basically getting your Halo. Problem for me though, is I was never a huge Halo fan. Halo 3 was really the last one I played and I never finished it, although I did play many hours of MP. The series just never sucked me in like it did for many people so, this is why I'm not sure Destiny will either.

Sidebar: I think it is a funny coincidence that in Destiny, your character is part of "The Guardians" and the full title of the next Halo game is Halo 5: Guardians.

The graphics look really good IMO, although they are going for a slightly more cartoony look instead of a realistic look. No, I don't mean it looks like a cartoon, just that the colors are more vibrant and a little exaggerated compared to games that take a more realistic approach. This again, reminds me of Halo. I actually love the look, the colors pop on my screen and my character's (an Exo) red head with a white stripe down the middle (mimics a Crimson Tide helmet, yes I'm a geek) looks beautiful. The environments and landscape are gorgeous as well. Everything just pops off my and looks really nice.

I'm sorry for the all the Halo comparisons but, it just reminds me of Halo so much. In fact, if I didn't know a thing about Destiny and you let me play this, I'd probably think it was the next Halo game. That could be a great thing for many folks and not so good for others, I'm somewhere in the middle right now. I'm also still waiting for this "variety of gameplay" that they have been preaching about, I'm just not seeing it yet (granted I've only done the first mission). I can't speak to Borderlands comparisons because I've actually never play Borderlands.

One thing the alpha has done is intrigued me enough to play more this weekend so that I can try and determine if this will be a game I'll really enjoy.

Where do you play domination style MP? I thought things were just suppose to happen during your game and people would drop in and out and basically create matches on the fly.

PSN ID: RollTide1017

Last edited by rolltide1017; 06-13-2014 at 06:40 AM.
post #220 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

From last night.

post #221 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Where do you play domination style MP? I thought things were just suppose to happen during your game and people would drop in and out and basically create matches on the fly.
You go to the Crucible, this is where the MP is.

The Weekend Warriors
post #222 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I haven't gone to the Crucible yet.

I still thought things were suppose to happen on the fly and you meet up with other players to take out a huge group of enemies, more like MMO games. Has anyone seen anything like that yet?

I'll add this about the game, for an alpha build the thing runs amazingly great (already runs better then the final build of BF4).

post #223 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I played for a lot longer than planned last night. It was fantastic! A buddy and I played together leveling up to level 6. When I first loaded in I thought I was offline but then a few people from my friends list showed up. This blew meaway. I never saw any lag or had any hiccups or anything. Both the graphics and the sound was topnotch. My buddy was using a sniper rifle and it sounded so good on my surround sound. We fought this giant spider looking thing. It kind of took forever to kill with just 3 of us. But we had fun doing it.

Anyways, I can't wait to play some more this evening. Does anyone know if we can switch out classes? I was playing as a Warlock and would like to try theother two.

Last edited by stitch1; 06-13-2014 at 07:13 AM.
post #224 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I still thought things were suppose to happen on the fly and you meet up with other players to take out a huge group of enemies, more like MMO games. Has anyone seen anything like that yet?

I'll add this about the game, for an alpha build the thing runs amazingly great (already runs better then the final build of BF4).
Crucible is strictly competitive MP and I think Strike is co-op MP. Things can happen on the fly while playing through the story. I haven't seen one yet, but only played a half hour or so. These events are like fates in FF14, if you've played that. I large enemy shows up and you can join whoever is around to take it down.

The Weekend Warriors
post #225 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
……..Right now it seems pretty linear which is something I thought Bungie said it wasn't going to be but, maybe this is just for the alpha. What I mean is, you have to do the first mission, which then unlocks the next mission, which I guess will unlock the next mission after that. I swear Bungie has been saying you can do anything in any way you want but, that doesn't seem true, at least not for the alpha. In fact, I'm not quit sure what I'm suppose to be doing or what my goal is, other then working through these missions. I guess I'm just not seeing the bigger picture yet.
…….
I think I read somewhere that the game requires you to level up some before it opens up (so to speak). I may be remembering wrong, but it was something to do with early testers were turned off to the game when they had encounters early on that their characters weren't leveled up enough to handle. I'll see if I can find the post.

Apparently it was from a Eurogamer article. Not exactly what I was remembering, but hopefully the game will branch out after the initial training aspect. Summary in the spoiler.
Spoiler!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun

Last edited by J_P_A; 06-13-2014 at 07:29 AM.
post #226 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:

You get far enough the spider tank thing from the trailer drops as an area boss type fight. You take him on with everyone in the area. Those willing anyway.
post #227 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 725
I'll be finally trying this out when I get home in a few hours. I got my character all ready this morning using the Vita. Was going to play a bit but decided to rather wait and play it on the big screen.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #228 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 267
This really is terrible timing for the alpha. I have family in town right now, and we're going out of town tomorrow. I'll be lucky to squeeze in a couple of hours here and there.

Considering that I enjoy both Borderlands and Halo, the comments so far make it sound like my type of game. I've never played a MOBA, but it sounds like the boss fights incorporate elements from those as well.
post #229 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:

Someone already mentioned the Crucible for competitive multiplayer so I won't go in to that . . .

. . . but I did have a Random pop into my game on the 1st mission that you do (Doughnutsrule, or some such PSN name that had to do with Doughnuts). I ran to him and tried to get him to follow me, but he was more interested in trying out the hover bike and zoomed around that big outside area. So I continued on. As I was headed inside, he came over, we killed an enemy, and I thought we were going to co-op the mission like a true fire team, but he went off back outside while I continued on with the mission inside the radar station.

My point is that encounters with Randoms do occur--it must depend on time you're on and if someone else is in that same area in their instance of the game at the same time.

From a gameplay stand point, I'm basically like Delsin from Infamous SS after he gets his powers: "The only downsides I see are . . . nope, no downsides!"

I'M PHREAKING LOVING THIS!

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #230 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I'll porbably be playing tonight if anyone wants to drop in. I could use the help, I love video games but I mostly suck at them, except golf games. The first mission to me a while to finish because my aim just sucks in these types of games. Those things that just charge at you would freak me out and I'd empty my gun into the wall, floor, ceiling... pretty much everything but the creature attacking me. Then that wizard thing took me forever, didn't help that it took me 10 minutes to realize you had to use your special powers, grenade things to damage him more because the just the gun wasn't cutting it.

post #231 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Like most of you, I had a blast playing the alpha last night. The graphics are really good, controls are tight, the frame rate was very stable, and lag was barely detectable. Even the UI is appealing. Not bad for an "alpha" release.

I'm not sure how to handle gear purchasing and selling just yet, and it took me forever to clear the mission marker inside the marketplace hub. But so far I have no major complaints.

Hopefully the final game has a Elder Scrolls type approach to open world exploration. I don't want the campaign to be so restrictive that you can't wander about freely, finding interesting little adventures to get caught up in.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #232 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I got my code too! See you MotherScratchers online!

How easy/hard is it to join a game with friends?
post #233 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellG View Post
I got my code too! See you MotherScratchers online!

How easy/hard is it to join a game with friends?
very easy
DarrellG likes this.
post #234 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Where do you go to get the beta code?
post #235 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
Where do you go to get the beta code?
comes with preorder..
post #236 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post
comes with preorder..
Thanks, thought maybe another way as well.
post #237 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 11:57 AM
hsv
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post
comes with preorder..
Well I feel like a loser now, I preordered and made a bungie account...I never got an email with alpha access
post #238 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv View Post
Well I feel like a loser now, I preordered and made a bungie account...I never got an email with alpha access
This wont change loser status but you needed to go to a different website and plugin your GT for the alpha.
post #239 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

post #240 of 6761 Old 06-13-2014, 12:29 PM
hsv
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
Thanks Nexus. I went to the site referenced in the FAQ but didn't see anything to submit my psn for the alpha. I'll look around on a PC when I get home. Right now I'm phone browsing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Destiny

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page