AVS Forum banner

Bungie's Destiny

Tags
destiny
193K views 8K replies 220 participants last post by  jlpowell84 
#1 · (Edited)
Destiny AVS Players List
  • PSN ID: Snowlock Preferred Class: Warlock Timezone: EST (Thread Starter)
  • PSN ID: CrashLanding Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: PDT (Reference ID Requests with AVS)
  • PSN ID: joedeeze Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: Unknown
  • PSN ID: Dreamnought Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: GMT (Based in Scotland, UK)
  • PSN ID: ChitownJackalope Preferred Class:Warlock Timezone:CST
  • PSN ID: Kenshiro26 Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: Unknown
  • PSN ID: Epyon415 Preferred Class: Hunter Timezone: PST (Clan Moderator for AVS Destiny Clan on Bungie.net)
  • PSN ID: xTimbBerwolfx Preferred Class: Warlock Timezone: PST
  • PSN ID: xx_shiv_xx Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: ashunte Preferred Class: Titan Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: WormholeXtreme Preferred Class: Titan Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: dagreeng Preferred Class: Titan Timezone: PST
  • PSN ID: Trail-Mix-A-Lot Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: CST
  • PSN ID: Lazy_GenLus Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: Lodolfan16 Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: LordXarsNexus Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: CST
  • PSN ID: GeorgeMcFly1955 Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: AVS Dash Preferred Class: Hunter/Warlock Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: Arcadia808 Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: ABoxOfNails Preferred Class: Hunter Timezone: CST
  • PSN ID: Hockeypucks89 Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: Salminella Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: EST/EDT
  • PSN ID: icelt Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: CST
  • PSN ID: b2real Preferred Class: Titan Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: javant86 Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: CST
  • PSN ID: ThiefMnemonic Preferred Class: Titan Timezone: CST
  • PSN ID: Benjamin_Rush Preferred Class: Hunter Timezone: EST (but travels for work so indeterminate)
  • PSN ID: bucwylde23 Preferred Class: Titan Timzone: Unknown
  • PSN ID: Wolowizard74 Preferred Class: Hunter Timezone: CST
  • PSN ID: HazeDG13 Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: Unknown
  • PSN ID: Inquist75 Preferred Class: Titan Timezone: PST
  • PSN ID: BiffCo Preferred Class: Warlock Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: JShmoopy Preferred Class: Unknown Timezone: Unknown
  • PSN ID: motherless Preferred Class: Warlock Timezone: Unknown
  • PSN ID: Dracowolfe Preferred Class: Hunter Timezone: Unknown
  • PSN ID: Cravit8 Preferred Class: Titan Timezone: EST
  • PSN ID: SquelchOil Preferred Class: Titan Timezone: CST

Click Here for the original information on Destiny (i.e., the original 1st post for this thread):
Bungie has released details on their their 10 year
game/project, Destiny:
Quote:GAMING BLEND
Bungie's Destiny Concept Art, Gameplay Details Revealed
Author: Pete Haaspublished: 2013-02-17 10:19:12

Today Bungie formally revealed Destiny, their next video game franchise. They've provided a slew of new concept art and details about the first-person shooter, which will be arriving this year on Xbox 360, PS3, and "future generation technology."

Destiny's story was first outed in November along with a leaked set of images. The franchise is set hundreds of years in the future, in which humanity is on the brink of extinction because of invading aliens. They're saved by the arrival of The Traveler, a power and mysterious orb that now hovers over the Earth's remaining city to protect it from harm. This Traveler has magical powers that humans can wield.

Players take on the role of Earth's warriors, who travel the universe fighting various aliens. Enemy factions seen in today's concept art include the Cabal, the Fallen, and Spider Pirates. You'll even fight "space zombies," though they probably won't be called that.

You won't have to battle these enemies alone.Destiny is described as "MMO-ish" and always connected. There will be opportunities to team up with players - or compete with them. Earth's last city acts as a social hub. Although the multiplayer has a massive scale, there's no subscription fee.

Customization is a key part of the game. One of the important choices players will make is their character class. Three classes have been revealed by Bungie. The Titan is a heavily armored gunslinger. The Warlock uses magic and apparently has a robot companion. Hunters seem to be stealthy, sniper types.

The IGN video below goes through each of the new pieces of concept art to provide some context. All of the individual pieces of art are below as well (via NeoGAF).

IGN has also put together a YouTube video detailing what they could glean from the concept art that Bungie released:

EDIT: Removed video link because video is no longer active there.

See less See more
#6,085 ·
I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer about multiple characters.

I have a Level 24 Titan, Level 31 Hunter, and just started a Warlock already at level 10.

If I let other characters use weapons, mostly the Legendary or Exotic stuff do they have to re-level the weapon and does trading back and forth cause the original character to have to re-level the weapon or when it returns to the original character does it just go back?

#6,091 ·
Trip was OK...very cold. My parents live next door, so my father prevented me from being completely wiped out. They got my main TV, PS4, and PS3. Could have been much worse. Got a vehicle description and a partial plate. They'll get caught.

Hope they enjoy those Playstations without the cords or controllers. Gonna have to pawn the TV to go buy those to be able to play it. Dummies.

#6,094 ·
They are lucky my old man isn't about 10 years younger. The fat, clumsy one tried to take off running and fell like 3 times in a span of 90 feet in the snow. My old man would have been on top of him when he was younger. Just glad they didn't have weapons and the old man didn't get himself hurt.

#6,108 ·
This makes me mad! Funny as today, with the Obama Administration "Massively pushing" AR15 ammo ban, coworkers and I were talking about home protection, ammo hoarding. I sleep with numerous forms of protection near and yes the hated 30 round Obama gun! I am not a violent person and have rehearsed posibble situations in my mind many times. A brief fleeting chance would be given (more than most) but I take protection of my family seriously. Any situation would be unfortunate, but unfortunately there are some dark people out there. I hope justcie is swiftly served Moe!

Sorry man, missed this earlier.

Presently Xur has appeared 23 times and @indiix2 posted that link with a summary of the results. So looking at the weapons loot table we see 3 weapons have been stocked 3 times each, 6 weapons 2 times each, 2 weapons have been sold only once and 3 have never been sold.

Obviously the nature of how Xur selects his inventory has been hotly debated about the 'nets (ie Bungie is preventing Xur from selling ballerhorn), so just for giggles I decided to see what the results might look like if I assumed it was a simple random selection (as there are 14 exotic weapons currently then that would equal a 14 sided die).

A quick google search turned up that anydice.com link and I used it to model tossing a d14 23 times. My results were (5) 8's, (3) 3's & 4's, (2) 5's & 6's and the rest only showed up once with 12 the only number that did not turn up. So the number 8 showed up in 36% of the throws, that's pretty big, and the number 12 never was thrown. The basic insight I was trying to illustrate is that even with the simplest simulation possible, a comparably uneven distribution of results is easily reproduced.

Therefore it is at least reasonable to conclude Xur's inventory might be determined by a random number generator, hell they might actually even throw a real 14 sided die, and without additional meddling by Bungie. Maybe.

Then again as evidenced by the actual gameplay mechanics Bungie chooses to meddle with, especially considering all the bugs & glitches they have yet to do a damn thing about 5 months later, they're probably just trolling us for the hell of it anyway.
Very great explanation.

Speaking of newbs I've got a buddy who switched hardware allegiances and now has a newly minted 28 GG Hunter but still has zero VoG experience. Any interest in hooking up the two groups for a VoG normal run soon?
I'm down.

I also have no Crota clears but unfortunately most I know have done it all already :( I know one or two interested. I'll be on tonight.

#6,097 ·
@moepoker Glad to hear your dad is okay and they didn't wipe you out. Thieves are pieces of trash. You don't want to go out and work, so you take other people's things. Then they messed with your video games, I'd be in prison on murder charges if someone messed with my video games. :cool:

#6,111 ·
So, as weird as this may sound, I have a PSN buddy who I immediately need to "avoid" and only occasionally play with. I don't want to just unfriend him but if I create a new PSN id would that prevent him from seeing me online? Would I need to re-friend everyone else? And what about my saved games? Would I need to restart my guardian?

PSN: dagreeng

#6,112 ·
That is a nightmare I always have. Sounds like a boss or super gossiper, eek

dagreen you would have to start completely from scratch. Destiny is not worth it to me but you decide. Maybe take a week or two off. Then play it like you're never on then you could stealth unfriend him

#6,117 ·
Nightfall is Omnigul with no burn this week.

I'll be back in commission on Thursday night, but probably technically won't be available until Friday since I have to download all the games and such again. On a side note, I guess I'll be upgrading to a 4k TV thanks to the thieves.

#6,126 ·
Looks like Sony's 2014 model in a 55" has the best lag. I'll give it a look...seems pretty reasonably priced as well. Thanks for the link and tips guys.

The room I game in really won't allow for a bigger TV and not look out of place, so I'm going to try to stick with a 55"

Also, the price of a refurb would make a better choice if I had to come out of pocket at all for the TV...since it is covered by insurance, I'll buy new.

#6,136 ·
Have you considered a Samsung F8500?

You know I was kidding right?
Dang, I already unfriended you...:eek: IB this weekend?

I think with Omnigul we need to treat her like Crota and learn to coordinate taking out her shield and then dps the motherf******* bejeezus out of her with Gallys or any tracking rockets as if an oversoul were about to appear. Maybe even set up bubbles to distract boomers. Exactly like we do with Crota. :p

Or stick someone in the high corner of the box on the far side of the Omnigul room to revive the other two as you watch our K/D ratio plummet like a rock...

Any body need a guy for nightfall, raids, or iron banner I'm in.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Does 08:30est work for you tonight for nightfall? Would like too run Iron Banner this weekend for fun. Had a blast running with the AVS group the first time around.

#6,134 ·
I think with Omnigul we need to treat her like Crota and learn to coordinate taking out her shield and then dps the motherf******* bejeezus out of her with Gallys or any tracking rockets as if an oversoul were about to appear. Maybe even set up bubbles to distract boomers. Exactly like we do with Crota. :p

#6,138 ·
Tasty bit of info, the Abyss Defiant mysteriously works on Omnigul!
http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2w74cj/sga_omnigul_counts_as_a_major_and_the_hive/

Seems people are using titan blinding grenades + abyss defiant and/or titan bubble with weapons of light placed on her and shotguns.

PSN: dagreeng[/QUOTE]

Have you considered a Samsung F8500?
I don't own that but I own a Panasonic model it continually got compared to and the F8500 is a fine piece of plasma glass. I didn't check displaylag on it.

Moe 39ms lag is great. You had a great tv and didn't even know it (or did!)

#6,143 · (Edited)
BTW, moe...you might want to take a look at the Vizio P series referenced on that site. I never would have recommended that brand in the past, but they are largely using Sharp panels now (the 55 actually uses an IPS panel), it's back lit instead of edge lit with local dimming and it's a 4k panel. Reports of a 17ms lag time as well.

Check out the P-series owners thread in the LCD section here @ AVS.

I'm fortunate enough to still have my 55' Panny Plasma (G30) to game on when I'm not using the projector. Never had any issues with extended IR or lag. If I were shopping today for an LCD with gaming as it's primary function, I'd honestly be looking at that Vizio P series or Sony W or X series. Regardless of what people say around here...most large displays still don't have acceptable lag for gaming.

If you've got good light control @ your place forget everything I just said and pick up a Sony HW40 projector! :D

#6,155 ·
Is IR still an occurrence with LED panels? Wouldn't the simple solution to this be don't buy plasma?

Also, thinking about dropping $ for a PS4 Gold headset. Anybody got thoughts on this unit?

Also need buddies for NF. I remembered I hate that beginning section far more than the actual fight with Omnigul.

#6,156 ·
...Also, thinking about dropping $ for a PS4 Gold headset. Anybody got thoughts on this unit?
I have had the ps3, ps4 gold and now Turtle Beach Elite 800. The sound on the Elite 800 is awesome (but tune it for Music NOT for games, Destiny contains so much hi-fidelity music and sounds you'll miss a lot of it's amazing soundtrack and sounds by using the games preset filter, but you can make your own eq setups on a windows machine). The NR takes a little getting used to, you feel like two giant pillows are being pressed up to your ears, or you are travelling up the mountains and your ears need to pop. It has dual hidden microphones and works really well. The only issue i had is i had to turn the receiver volume down to play through the headphones. Also the buttons on the sides are touch sensitive so leaning against a pillow or turning your head and touching them on your shoulders can turn them down/off/on/adjust preset, etc.. pretty annoying.

The ps4 gold hurts my head (i've got a medium-larger head size), and i found them uncomfrotable and the sound wasn't as good as the ps3 ones. Battery seemed to last a little while but the comfort was a factor to me and the invisible mic can become muted if you lean your head back or into a pillow while playing. When i had these people commented that i sound different than the ps3 ones (and the turtle beach sounded just like the ps3 to other people through my mic).

The ps3 ones were the best bang for buck. They last about 4-6 hours depending upon usage, worked extremely well with my stereo (didn't have to tweak it like the TB ones). When i turn off the head set the music immediately reverts to HDMI and when i turn it back on it mutes the HDMI audio and sends it over head sets.. VERY VERY accommodating feature. Buttons are easy to use and conveniently located. Sounds great and has extendable mic.

If i had to choose again i'd get another ps3 set. They were very very good and all around the best. The TB sound great when you tweak them, but other issues (as well as the $$$ price) make them less desirable. I've spent the money and i'll keep using them but if i had to do it all over again (and/or if these break) then i'll get another set of the ps3 ones.

#6,167 ·
So yeah, Oversoul Edict makes you actually feel powerful/ deadly in the nightfall... So many walls of darkness to shoot through [emoji2]
I ran with 2 guys on their second run and they kept commenting on how much faster it was going with someone using raid weapons.

And the abyss defiant does indeed stun Omnigul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6,168 ·
Yeah, I like the oversoul edict, too. It has a bad rap for being a pulse rifle, but once it's got most of its perks it's satisfying. The speed of the auto fire is just fast enough to feel and be effective. It's got the stability and arc damage going for it. And being able to shoot through knight shields...that's particularly satisfying because most of the time the knight shield is up because they're about to die. The damage from a pulse rifle may not be much, but it's enough to deal that final blow if not negate most of the Knights health regen behind that shield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.