Debating whether to sell PS3 soon, and save for PS4... anybody else thinking about it ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 02-19-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Ok, look, the PS3 is a fantastic system, no question about it. I jumped on the PS3 bandwagon that November day back in 2006. I put my $600 plus more for tax for the damn thing. I imported the Japanese version of Motorstorm that December (man that was glorious, let me tell you)... But the thing is... I know that PS4 is right around the corner, and I have a slim in excellent condition, I could use that money towards the PS4. I know that I will miss out on Last of Us and probably several other big PS3 games, but I can live with that. I know that eventually, I'll get another PS3 sometime down the line, or maybe I can just stream games like Last of Us to my PS4 via GaiKai.

I know there will be a period of time in which I'll really miss that PS3. Once I have that PS4 though, I'm not sure I'll be interested in looking back anyways.

I'm the early adopter type. My M.O. has normally been to pump and dump the previous systems, right before the arrival of the "new hotness". Basically, jump all-in on the next-generation, and to prepare for it by clearing my cupboards and selling off all my current gen products, while I still have some physical products to sell.

I'm gaming on my PC right now, way more than I am on my 360 or PS3, but I will admit to playing the PS3 much more than the 360. Mostly due to all the big 360 games coming to the PC as well. The PS3 has those exclusives, and the quirky games, and also I have Playstation + account. So downloading stuff like Vanquish for free doesn't suck.

Still, I'm tempted to sell sooner, rather than later, and just play my PC games till the PS4 comes calling. There are some rumors in which people are talking about a September launch for either Durango or PS4. I can last till then with my PC backlog.

Anybody else thinking the same way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Nope, no way. I still have my PS2. The PS3 you have will be 100% backward compatible with all PS3 games, who knows what the PS4 will have regarding that compatibility. And, the PS3 is a great system, even if the PS4 is a real blockbuster system, your PS3 will still have lots of uses around the home. I'll be keeping both my PS3s no matter what happens with the PS4.
post #3 of 25 Old 02-20-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 89
If you don't need a Playstation between now and October/November then you don't need a Playstation at all. Just sell it and don't even buy the PS4. I use my iPad every day and that's like saying that I want to sell my iPad until the iPad 5 comes out. In that case, I just don't need an iPad at all!
post #4 of 25 Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Save? Isn't that what they made credit cards for?confused.gif

Join the AVS Folding @ Home team!! Team #55280

PSN ID= moepoker
XBL ID= moepoker
post #5 of 25 Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I use my PS3 way too often to sell it beforehand. I just started watching Fringe on Amazon prime, along with the older Top Gear episodes I've missed. I honestly think I'll have my PS3 for the duration.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #6 of 25 Old 02-20-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
No rush in selling my PS3,...I'll give it to my kids once the ps4 is out.
post #7 of 25 Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I wasn't aware the PS4 had been announced yet. What's the release date? How much will it cost? tongue.gif

Given all the unknowns, I'm quite happy with the PS3, and only hope Sony continues to support it for at least 18-24 months after the PS4 is released, as there are still a ton of games I still want to play on it (many that have yet to be released). And even after I get a PS4, the PS3 will have a nice second life in the bedroom.
post #8 of 25 Old 02-20-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
My ps3( first my 60gb and now my 160gb slim) has always been my lone Blu-ray player. I'm in no rush to get a PS4, and if and when I do the Ps3 will move to my bedroom. I'd sooner wait till the PS4 gets into the $300 price range before I bite.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #9 of 25 Old 02-20-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 60
No, I'm just gonna write a check when it comes out. But if you have to save to get one, then do it. But I'd wait to sell that PS3 until The Last of Us comes out. That game looks amazing.

500 gigs FTW.
post #10 of 25 Old 02-20-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Tonight we know. Keep your PS3.
post #11 of 25 Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Heh, I just got a new white PS3 - prefer my electronics in white if possible, plus 500 gb HDD plus 1 year of PSN Plus plus free games to DL.
Once I ebay off my old 60 GB PS3, won't be much of an expense.

PS4...it's almost a year away.
post #12 of 25 Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
No I just bought a White PS3 Slim as well and that has boosted my PS+ Account till 2014, the PS3 will still get plenty of good games, and the prices will drop so that you can build a good game library cheap, I'm not going to buy the PS4 on launch I'm gonna try to give it at least till the following summer, let some games come out and let the system shake out. If anything I'm going to pick up a vita for the second screen stuff, but I'm waitng for a price drop there as well.
post #13 of 25 Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post

No I just bought a White PS3 Slim as well and that has boosted my PS+ Account till 2014, the PS3 will still get plenty of good games, and the prices will drop so that you can build a good game library cheap, I'm not going to buy the PS4 on launch I'm gonna try to give it at least till the following summer, let some games come out and let the system shake out. If anything I'm going to pick up a vita for the second screen stuff, but I'm waitng for a price drop there as well.

I just won't make it that far ...
post #14 of 25 Old 02-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
The Last of Us will probably be my last PS3 game. After I'm done with that and any DLC I'll give it to a niece or nephew.
post #15 of 25 Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 PM

Also, as far as my tastes go, I doubt that PS4 will have games that I will want to play on launch day. I might pick it up if it turns out to be some kind of incredible media hub device, but once again, on launch day - doubt it.

And as for PS3, I still have a huge backlog and there are at least 5 games coming before the end of the year that I plan to buy so the backlog is likely to get even bigger. In truth I hope to actually start and finish Ni No Kuni before PS4 is released. smile.gif
post #16 of 25 Old 02-21-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I "might" sell my PS3 if I can get some decent cache for it. But no need to sell it for hardly anything. Yeah, I could wait for Last of Us, and rent it a couple times from Red Box. Then sell off the PS3 after that.

When I get PS4, I'll be all in on PS4. I don't need to play the PS3 anymore. I have so many damn games in my backlog on my gaming PC, that I'm well covered for any potential dry spell. If Infamous: Second Son is a launch game, I'm all in.
post #17 of 25 Old 02-22-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm actually more looking forward to picking up whatever PS3 exclusives I missed, for cheap, than buying the PS4 anytime soon. My days of buying systems and games at full prices ended during the Ps2/xbox/gamecube era.

post #18 of 25 Old 02-22-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I "might" sell my PS3 if I can get some decent cache for it. But no need to sell it for hardly anything. Yeah, I could wait for Last of Us, and rent it a couple times from Red Box. Then sell off the PS3 after that.

When I get PS4, I'll be all in on PS4. I don't need to play the PS3 anymore. I have so many damn games in my backlog on my gaming PC, that I'm well covered for any potential dry spell. If Infamous: Second Son is a launch game, I'm all in.

Despite being a little long in the tooth, the PS3 still has plenty to offer. Last of Us and God of War ascension is testament to the quality of games this system is still capable of churning out. I don't feel the same way about 360 though, that's definitely due for upgrade but with the rumored 'no used games' on Durango, the next xbox isn't much of a priority for me. Frankly if the PC got the latest Halo and Gears of War releases, I'd have no need for an xbox at all( and even with Halo, that series is wearing on me. I haven't even picked up Halo4 yet, and probably won't till it hits $30 or lower). Of course I'm basing this on the current IPs, Microsoft could come up with some amazing new series next gen but as it stands right now I'm definitely partial towards Playstation exclusives.

post #19 of 25 Old 02-22-2013, 08:08 AM

I prefer Xbox 360 for a lot of games - 2D scaler in the Xbox is IMHO superior to the one in PS3.

At least on my TVs, 2D games look just a tad sharper.
I bought Persona 4 Arena for PS3 and actually ended up getting a Xbox version once the price came down since to me the Xbox version looks just a tiny bit better.
post #20 of 25 Old 02-22-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Mine, if decommissioned, will go to the kid. Still plays blurays and streams. Should be a damn fine replacement to having a Directv box in her room. Gives me a lot of control over what she watches and gives her freedom on lots of other stuff.
post #21 of 25 Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
I will be keeping mine and moving it to the bedroom when the PS4 comes out. Then I can use it as a blu-ray player and will still have it hooked up to a 42 inch tv in case something comes out for it that I want to play.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #22 of 25 Old 02-22-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

My days of buying systems and games at full prices ended during the Ps2/xbox/gamecube era.

Normally, I would agree with this. Years of Steam sales, and Amazon sales and Green Man Gaming have conditioned me to look at paying full price like it's a foreign concept.

The thing is, brand new consoles is the one time when I don't mind buying a couple full priced games, as long as they are pretty solid games. The way I look at it, is that I've got an overflowing backlog of games on PC, primarily because of all these sales were you end up getting a game for only 5 bucks. While it's great to have such a huge library of games at my fingertips, you can really only devote yourself to a couple of games at a time. I kinda like the "less is more" philosophy, of just having a couple of games and playing the H.E. double hockey sticks out of them. Of course the key to this strategy is that the couple of games that I end up getting have to be Game of the Year type contenders, with a healthy length of gameplay. Getting games like that at launch is normally a difficult proposition, but every once in awhile you'll get a launch where you get a couple of games that will hold you over for months and months.
post #23 of 25 Old 02-22-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Normally, I would agree with this. Years of Steam sales, and Amazon sales and Green Man Gaming have conditioned me to look at paying full price like it's a foreign concept.

The thing is, brand new consoles is the one time when I don't mind buying a couple full priced games, as long as they are pretty solid games. The way I look at it, is that I've got an overflowing backlog of games on PC, primarily because of all these sales were you end up getting a game for only 5 bucks. While it's great to have such a huge library of games at my fingertips, you can really only devote yourself to a couple of games at a time. I kinda like the "less is more" philosophy, of just having a couple of games and playing the H.E. double hockey sticks out of them. Of course the key to this strategy is that the couple of games that I end up getting have to be Game of the Year type contenders, with a healthy length of gameplay. Getting games like that at launch is normally a difficult proposition, but every once in awhile you'll get a launch where you get a couple of games that will hold you over for months and months.

We think on the same pattern, as bad as I want a PS4 I know I'm going to wait until 2014 to buy one. The PC backlog and even the 360 backlog should be plenty. I need/want to update my main TV and audio setup first.

I went on a JRPG binge last summer and snagged all the ones on 360 and barely scratched the surface on those. I'm trying to be rational but find it hard as I love the hobby. I guess I'm getting old is all.
post #24 of 25 Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 PM

I buy most JRPGs at full price because they are niche games and publishers like Xseed would go out of business if everyone waited for $5 sales.
post #25 of 25 Old 02-22-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post

I buy most JRPGs at full price because they are niche games and publishers like Xseed would go out of business if everyone waited for $5 sales.

I try my best to do that.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page