PlayStation 4 - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2971 of 18081 Old 06-21-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I've recently read elsewhere that Sony has not indicated 16 million sold by the end of the FY, but it was simply an inferred guesstimate by some website. They still plan to sell a boat load of 'em.

Makes you wonder if Sony saw that and decided to aim for that if they could, and now that it looks to be possible and with as much hype as they have, they may have adopted that target.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2972 of 18081 Old 06-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

I know I'm just being petty and spiteful, but after being accused of trolling and invited to leave the XBox thread because I didn't buy into it, I almost wish XB180 would have shipped with this "family plan" just to hear the uproar from those same guys when they realized it wasn't as advertised. I never believed that the publishers would be willing to "lose" 9 sales for every game bought.

In the end, I think both consoles will be better after all of this. It shows just how passionate gamers are about their hobby. Particularly a hobby where we've had to wait 8 years for new tech. Hopefully both companies will be more wiling to listen to the opinions of their customers during development rather than after the fact just to prevent this sort of uproar in the next-next gen.

Most of us, the people that bitched about it, live in reality. There are just so many people in the xbox thread that can't be anything but MS employees. They are rabidly defending the indefensible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

... The DS4 seems like it could be an awesome pc controller. It would replace the need for a separate mouse to get your game started.

I never considered that. Now that you point it out, the touch pad would make it a great PC controller. I still like the xbox controller more though. Looking forward to the new one. Will be nice to feel the new DS4 too.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
post #2973 of 18081 Old 06-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
metallicaband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I completely forgot about the usage of the touch pad for strategy games, could be very helpful and actually make strategy games playable on a console for once lol

Yeah the DS4 sounds like a perfect PC controller, I just hope they'll release an official driver for it (doubt that would happen to be honest), the whole motioninjoy driver can cause some headaches, it was specially a bitch to deal with in the beginning when it didn't officially support x64 windows systems.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
metallicaband is offline  
post #2974 of 18081 Old 06-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

I know I'm just being petty and spiteful, but after being accused of trolling and invited to leave the XBox thread because I didn't buy into it, I almost wish XB180 would have shipped with this "family plan" just to hear the uproar from those same guys when they realized it wasn't as advertised. I never believed that the publishers would be willing to "lose" 9 sales for every game bought.

In the end, I think both consoles will be better after all of this. It shows just how passionate gamers are about their hobby. Particularly a hobby where we've had to wait 8 years for new tech. Hopefully both companies will be more wiling to listen to the opinions of their customers during development rather than after the fact just to prevent this sort of uproar in the next-next gen.


Another thing, if the thing shipped this way I think that would have been the end of xbox.

The destructoid article Tyrant posted had a line that said, MS tried to go to step 5 of all digital game machine without ever hitting steps 1-4.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
post #2975 of 18081 Old 06-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
SmokenAshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
IMO I think Sony is capable of producing a crap load more consoles this time around than the PS3. The PS3 was complex and allot of parts (2 types of RAM?) This time it's simple off the shelf type parts and hell they got the factories I'm sure. Knowing Japanese, they take pride in their work AND do they work late! Some food for thought, in Japan a guy with a window view in the office is a slacker and poor performer. The hard workers and great performers get no window so they can focus on working. It's just how they are.
SmokenAshes is offline  
post #2976 of 18081 Old 06-21-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pcweber111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 3,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

PS3 launch numers were as follows for US and Japan

US - 400k
JPN - 200k

They failed to even hit those numbers at launch due to shortages. This time they are ready, and they have a lot of hype behind them to push those early sales. 16 million shipped worldwide by March 31st 2014 is looking more likely by the day...

16 million in 5ish months? I know you're a fan and so am I but come on let's be realistic here. That averages 3 million a month. That'd be damn impressive if not a downright miracle.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pcweber111 is offline  
post #2977 of 18081 Old 06-21-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
joeblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Makes you wonder if Sony saw that and decided to aim for that if they could, and now that it looks to be possible and with as much hype as they have, they may have adopted that target.

Update: Speculation is that 16 million is Sony's projection for PlayStation consoles altogether by March 31, 2014. That suggests PS3+PS4, which is certainly do-able.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

joeblow is offline  
post #2978 of 18081 Old 06-21-2013, 04:08 PM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

16 million in 5ish months? I know you're a fan and so am I but come on let's be realistic here. That averages 3 million a month. That'd be damn impressive if not a downright miracle.

http://www.game4u.com/index.php?id_category=101&controller=categoryproductlist&aid=92

Preorders are apparently opening up in India. If Sony is confident enough in their supply and logistics ability, WW sales of that magnitude are not out of the question. Developing nations are usually last.
TyrantII is offline  
post #2979 of 18081 Old 06-21-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Update: Speculation is that 16 million is Sony's projection for PlayStation consoles altogether by March 31, 2014. That suggests PS3+PS4, which is certainly do-able.

That would be a low ball if true. PS3 sells between 10 and 15 million a year. Throw in the Vita and it suddenly looks very low for three systems.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #2980 of 18081 Old 06-21-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
joeblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Handhelds aren't coupled with consoles on Sony's fiscal reports.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

joeblow is offline  
post #2981 of 18081 Old 06-21-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Handhelds aren't coupled with consoles on Sony's fiscal reports.

Didn't they group all Playstation products together during the PS3's early days to hide how poorly it was doing or was that just the PS2 and PS3?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #2982 of 18081 Old 06-21-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
joeblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I dunno. But more recent forecasts have lumped handhelds together in one group, and any consoles together in another group.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

joeblow is offline  
post #2983 of 18081 Old 06-21-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I dunno. But more recent forecasts have lumped handhelds together in one group, and any consoles together in another group.

Still, 16 million for the two systems is too low, they must be shooting low to make sure they hit estimates. (Instead of going the Nintendo route of over estimating and falling short)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #2984 of 18081 Old 06-21-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
joeblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Well, the 16 million rumor in FY '13 goes back further than the recent rumor that Sony upped their forecast. We don't really know anything I guess until Sony officially speaks out as they have in the past.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

joeblow is offline  
post #2985 of 18081 Old 06-21-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pcweber111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 3,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

http://www.game4u.com/index.php?id_category=101&controller=categoryproductlist&aid=92

Preorders are apparently opening up in India. If Sony is confident enough in their supply and logistics ability, WW sales of that magnitude are not out of the question. Developing nations are usually last.

Well if they can hit that many in that short a time I'll be damned impressed.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pcweber111 is offline  
post #2986 of 18081 Old 06-22-2013, 01:29 AM
Member
 
TheKillJoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This might be slightly off topic and everything but i was wondering about DD and ps4 plans on this.
Will ps4 have games in their on demand store the day it comes out

so I know xbox one said that they were releasing games the day they came out onto their store. I was wondering is ps4 doing the same thing because if they are then I might change my mind and ditch the xbox one. I basically plan to buy no disk for my console ever unless it's ridiculously cheap like 5 to 10 quid and i only plan to play it once so yeah is ps4 or xbox one doing this with titles like watchdog, battlefield or fifa? I aware the price will be hiked up slightly but in my experience it's worth it because the game will be stored to my account and Ill be able to keep it without losing it ever.

XboxLive ID :Naeirnbruforu

People always fear change. People feared electricity when it was invented, didn't they? People feared coal, they feared gas-powered engines... There will always be ignorance, and ignorance leads to fear. But with time, people will come to accept their silicon masters.
B...
TheKillJoy is offline  
post #2987 of 18081 Old 06-22-2013, 02:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
moepoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Birch Run, MI
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKillJoy View Post

This might be slightly off topic and everything but i was wondering about DD and ps4 plans on this.
Will ps4 have games in their on demand store the day it comes out

so I know xbox one said that they were releasing games the day they came out onto their store. I was wondering is ps4 doing the same thing because if they are then I might change my mind and ditch the xbox one. I basically plan to buy no disk for my console ever unless it's ridiculously cheap like 5 to 10 quid and i only plan to play it once so yeah is ps4 or xbox one doing this with titles like watchdog, battlefield or fifa? I aware the price will be hiked up slightly but in my experience it's worth it because the game will be stored to my account and Ill be able to keep it without losing it ever.

They already offer it on PS3 and have announced it for PS4

Join the AVS Folding @ Home team!! Team #55280

PSN ID= moepoker
XBL ID= moepoker
moepoker is online now  
post #2988 of 18081 Old 06-22-2013, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zBuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

Yeah the DS4 sounds like a perfect PC controller, I just hope they'll release an official driver for it (doubt that would happen to be honest), the whole motioninjoy driver can cause some headaches, it was specially a bitch to deal with in the beginning when it didn't officially support x64 windows systems.

I have my Dualshock working in Windows 7 64 bit, the hard thing is getting around the driver registration process, but I don't think we'll see as much as a problem down the track as OSX and Linux are move to more as gaming platforms
zBuff is offline  
post #2989 of 18081 Old 06-22-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ThumperII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKillJoy View Post

This might be slightly off topic and everything but i was wondering about DD and ps4 plans on this.
Will ps4 have games in their on demand store the day it comes out

so I know xbox one said that they were releasing games the day they came out onto their store. I was wondering is ps4 doing the same thing because if they are then I might change my mind and ditch the xbox one. I basically plan to buy no disk for my console ever unless it's ridiculously cheap like 5 to 10 quid and i only plan to play it once so yeah is ps4 or xbox one doing this with titles like watchdog, battlefield or fifa? I aware the price will be hiked up slightly but in my experience it's worth it because the game will be stored to my account and Ill be able to keep it without losing it ever.

It seems ironic, but Sony seems to be ahead of MS with timeliness of new release DD. This is not something I care about but it offers choice, which is good.
ThumperII is offline  
post #2990 of 18081 Old 06-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
metallicaband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff View Post

I have my Dualshock working in Windows 7 64 bit, the hard thing is getting around the driver registration process, but I don't think we'll see as much as a problem down the track as OSX and Linux are move to more as gaming platforms

I use my DS3 via motioninjoy on my 64 bit Windows 7 as well, after they got the driver licensed (fees for M$) or whatever it was the installation process got much easier. At least MotionInjoy will most probably support DS4 if there weren't any official drivers available.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
metallicaband is offline  
post #2991 of 18081 Old 06-22-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ThumperII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

I use my DS3 via motioninjoy on my 64 bit Windows 7 as well, after they got the driver licensed (fees for M$) or whatever it was the installation process got much easier. At least MotionInjoy will most probably support DS4 if there weren't any official drivers available.

It would be smart to allow it on the PC. Some gamers will follow a controller they are used to so it may provide some sales down the road.
ThumperII is offline  
post #2992 of 18081 Old 06-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
metallicaband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I'm not sure if Microsoft can deny such official drivers for DS4 since they obviously want their controller to be the main thing for PCs.

BTW, some of the RAM will be reserved for OS stuff, but what about the processor? I forgot that there was a secondary chip for background processes, was there any information about that chip? Will it handle ALL of the OS and background processes or just uploads/downloads? It would be really great if it handled such things to give games access to all 8 jaguar cores.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
metallicaband is offline  
post #2993 of 18081 Old 06-22-2013, 08:55 AM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

I'm not sure if Microsoft can deny such official drivers for DS4 since they obviously want their controller to be the main thing for PCs.

BTW, some of the RAM will be reserved for OS stuff, but what about the processor? I forgot that there was a secondary chip for background processes, was there any information about that chip? Will it handle ALL of the OS and background processes or just uploads/downloads? It would be really great if it handled such things to give games access to all 8 jaguar cores.

I heard 2 CPU cores, but nothing from the GPU. Cerny said he believes the CPU will be used less and less anyways and more general purpose tasks move towards using GPGPU.
TyrantII is offline  
post #2994 of 18081 Old 06-22-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

I'm not sure if Microsoft can deny such official drivers for DS4 since they obviously want their controller to be the main thing for PCs.

BTW, some of the RAM will be reserved for OS stuff, but what about the processor? I forgot that there was a secondary chip for background processes, was there any information about that chip? Will it handle ALL of the OS and background processes or just uploads/downloads? It would be really great if it handled such things to give games access to all 8 jaguar cores.

Can you link to where you saw the second processor for the OS? I thought only Nintendo had that this gen...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #2995 of 18081 Old 06-22-2013, 09:41 AM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Can you link to where you saw the second processor for the OS? I thought only Nintendo had that this gen...

It was in the Feb reveal. They have a ARM chip that keeps the OS going for low power states, instant on, background/system off downloading / installing.
TyrantII is offline  
post #2996 of 18081 Old 06-22-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

It was in the Feb reveal. They have a ARM chip that keeps the OS going for low power states, instant on, background/system off downloading / installing.

How did I miss that!? That was one of the big things I was watching for...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #2997 of 18081 Old 06-22-2013, 09:51 AM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

How did I miss that!? That was one of the big things I was watching for...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-spec-analysis-playstation-4
Quote:
There was also talk of a new processing module in the PS4 hardware designed to handle tasks like background downloading. Our sources suggest a low-power ARM core designed to handle "standby" tasks along these lines, while the console also saves the current gameplay state when the system is closed down, meaning instant access to the last game you played when you power up again. OS tasks and resource allocation remain unknown (512MB or thereabouts was discussed with developers) but we now have some idea of what this system can do: Sony talks about running a web browser "and other applications" during gameplay.

Seems to just be to take the load off when not using the OS directly or in a powered down state. So technically not "just for the OS".
TyrantII is offline  
post #2998 of 18081 Old 06-22-2013, 09:55 AM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Eurogamer hand on with the DS4 Controller:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-next-gen-joypads-a-true-evolution
Quote:
It's a similar scenario for the analogue sticks on Sony's Dual Shock 4. Tightened dead-zones make games like DriveClub eminently easier to control, but the bigger change here is in the friction of the sticks - increased to bring it closer to the pressure needed on the Xbox One's. The old PS3 sticks with their convex grips are often criticised for feeling a little too delicate in travel, and with a purchase that could be lost a little more easily without an indent or groove. This is now squarely put to rights with a dimpled recess to the topsides of each new stick. Overall, it's striking how similar both controllers feel in this department, as if the houses of PlayStation and Xbox both independently honed in on the very same sweet-spot for grip and required pressure.

Looking to the buttons, the Dual Shock 4 boasts a more tightly packed d-pad than usual, using a silkier matte texture that tapers off towards the centre point. It's slippery to the touch which takes some getting used to - to be expected after three generations of using rougher d-pads for quarter-circle motions in fighters. On the right side of the pad, the 8-bit precision analogue face buttons of the last controller are swapped out for digital versions, largely due to their lack of practical use in games, but also to improve communication speeds with the PS4 console. This change in latency isn't appreciable in practise, but the buttons now sink with a more tactile click when our input registers.

Sony's gamepad also has some tricks up its sleeve. At the Dual Shock 4's centre is a capacitative dual point touchpad, lodged between the mono speaker and home button below, plus the share and options buttons to either side. Helpfully, these two function buttons are placed closer to the natural arc of your thumbs during grip - though we don't get the use of any of Sony's touted community features during E3 demos. The light bar on top is also scarcely used during E3 demos, but for multiplayer its colour-coding works as an effective alternative to the LED indicators on our current wireless Dual Shock 3s.

The touch interface is unique, and presents a more nuanced way to interact with game worlds. It's clickable like a regular laptop mouse pad, and even light touches to its surface are quick in response - in theory, an RTS game based around pinch-to-zoom and panning gestures could find a comfortable home on the platform in future. Even so, the most effective use for these controls in games available so far involves swiping in cardinal directions to activate hot-keyed moves in Warframe and Killzone: Shadowfall. Unlike the gyrometer controls also packed into the device, this input is an unknown quantity in the console space, and so we'll have to see what unfolds.
TyrantII is offline  
post #2999 of 18081 Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rolltide1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 2,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

It seems ironic, but Sony seems to be ahead of MS with timeliness of new release DD. This is not something I care about but it offers choice, which is good.

Yep, Sony mentioned day one digital downloads at the Feb. reveal and how most PS3 games are day one DD now. MS is getting way to much credit for day one DD when they are really just catching up to the competition.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
rolltide1017 is offline  
post #3000 of 18081 Old 06-22-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ThumperII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Yep, Sony mentioned day one digital downloads at the Feb. reveal and how most PS3 games are day one DD now. MS is getting way to much credit for day one DD when they are really just catching up to the competition.

Sony really undersold their capabilities with the PS3. More evidence that they were very focused on the HD disc wars and not as much on gaming for the PS3.
ThumperII is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off