post #3061 of 17113 Old 06-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Tough to say what will happen with a lot of these fall 2013 releases. I'm sure that the publishers themselves don't know for sure yet. It will depend on how sales go for the game on current consoles. It will depend on how the new consoles perform. It will depend on retailer and consumer interest in the new consoles. It will depend on how smoothly development goes. And a bunch of other variables. Maybe they've already made up their minds, but maybe not. It may be a strategic reason for not announcing it yet for the new consoles, or it may be because they actually haven't decided yet.
I also really enjoyed the other Batman games, but this new one isn't being made by the same development team (Rocksteady). It's being made by the folks who did the Wii U port of Arkham City. Could be good, but I definitely am skeptical. At best, it will be a rehash of the same basic design.

I missed that part about the Dev team. Eh ... probably not a Day 1 for me than. I have quite the backlog as it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 17113 Old 06-24-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I bought the first two Batman's day one, but I'll be waiting for reviews and a price drop on the next installment.
post #3063 of 17113 Old 06-24-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

And you end up paying more for it by being tied down to a 2 year contract (~$2500+ in future charges) and shelling out overpriced warranty and damage coverage. Just cause it's over 2 years doesn't mean you're not paying for that discount. They don't do it that way just out of the kindness of their hearts.

More and more people are finding it cheaper and smarter (if you like upgrading) to ditch the discounts and just go with pay as you go providers, or monthly plans. In the long run, you save some serious cash.

And you end up paying for it because pay as you go customers take a back seat to plan customers. Pay as you go mobile providers use bigger mobile providers networks. Who do you think gets preference? Or if it's on the big 4's network the plan customer gets better service.
post #3064 of 17113 Old 06-24-2013, 01:42 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

And you end up paying for it because pay as you go customers take a back seat to plan customers. Pay as you go mobile providers use bigger mobile providers networks. Who do you think gets preference? Or if it's on the big 4's network the plan customer gets better service.

Well, blast from the past on that necro quote.

But the argument still stands, since most MVNO's are buying up spectrum from the Big 3 anyways. So no, it's not worse service if you do your homework.

Customer service? Thats a different question.
post #3065 of 17113 Old 06-24-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Well, blast from the past on that necro quote.

But the argument still stands, since most MVNO's are buying up spectrum from the Big 3 anyways. So no, it's not worse service if you do your homework.

Customer service? Thats a different question.

Yeah it was at the beginning of the thread. Pay as you go customers get second preference network service and if they have their own network it isn't like the big 2. I said 4 but let's face it tmobile and sprint are not AT&T and Verizon. Who has pay as you go LTE service that is comparable to AT&T or Verizon? Being a plan customer has it's network perks not just customer service and every pay you go customer I know has inferior service and glitches. I'm not picking on your post I just think pay as you go is inferior smile.gif
I was looking at the thread and giving my son who's 17 PS4 updates.
post #3066 of 17113 Old 06-24-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
No, because the word they use twice is "bundles".

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #3067 of 17113 Old 06-24-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
http://kotaku.com/meet-the-cast-of-final-fantasy-xv-557539132

Some tidbits about a small part of the cast, basically Noctis' inner circle of friends as well as some plot details.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #3068 of 17113 Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM

The PlayStation 4 will release in India in 2013, Sony has confirmed

http://www.indianvideogamer.com/news/ps4-to-launch-in-india-in-2013/21066
Quote:
Speaking with IVG, PlayStation India country manager Atindriya Bose said that Sony is targeting a simultaneous launch alongside Europe, but logistical issues could cause a delay of up to a month. That’s still good enough to make a 2013 launch.

“It will be matched with the European launch; give or take a bit to account for Indian logistics. The consoles have to be shipped in advance and currently all consoles also require certification for the India market. In terms of targeting, we’re looking to synchronise with the European launch,” Bose said.

“That’s this year.”

Seems Sony isn't keen on making the same mistakes as last time. Also seems to confirm production is ramping up and there's no issues pumping out PS4's. Apple is a close comparison, but has there been a in demand, world wide console launch before without supply issues? Might be looking at a first.

Also sort of explains their holding their cards. They need new stuff to show the EU and Japanese markets to justify buying in those places. So, probably more game announcements incoming.
post #3069 of 17113 Old 06-24-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No surprise, but by confirming that India gets a 2013 PS4 that's no more than a month later than Europe, the Sony exec suggests that there will be a November launch or earlier in some regions.

post #3070 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85

After watching the Beyond demo, the combat training, I was impressed. The graphic fidelity their getting from PS3 is astounding and puts Heavy Rain to shame in a lot of ways. Their first PS4 game is bound to be impressive looking if nothing else. The tech demo makes you wonder if they're going away from reality on the next go round. I would love to see a world created by QD that isn't based on the world we see today, but a totally out-of-left-field creation of their own. Guess 2014 will tell us something?

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #3071 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 03:58 AM

Liked: 15
Side-by-side: PS4 gamepad vs PS3 gamepad
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/side-by-side-ps4-gamepad-vs-ps3-gamepad-1161094?src=rss&attr=all

"The DualShock 4 gamepad is better than the PS3 controller by leaps-and-bounds. It's so much better that we may like it more than the Xbox One controller and its "40 innovations" over the already time-tested Xbox 360 gamepad."
post #3072 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't been following the Xbox One stuff a whole lot, but the way Respawn Entertainment is spinning MS's cloud services makes me wonder; if they can deliver on even half of this the MP experience for FPS should benefit greatly:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/24/respawn-entertainment-xbox-live-cloud/

Sony is still doing P2P right?
post #3073 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

I haven't been following the Xbox One stuff a whole lot, but the way Respawn Entertainment is spinning MS's cloud services makes me wonder; if they can deliver on even half of this the MP experience for FPS should benefit greatly:

Let's see if games on the Xbone use it. If they do make use of it, Sony needs to respond or be at a serious competitive advantage. I see it raising costs for publishers so I have doubts about how much we will see it. Console launches are the land of broken dreams and promises.
post #3074 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 230
So, after watching GT's E3 awards videos, I agree with there verdict; The Witcher 3 looks amazing. I love open world RPG games but, I've never played either of the first 2 "Witcher" games. Skyrim has sucked up most of my RPG gaming since it was released. Are "The Witcher" games a good fit for Skyrim fans?

About this cloud stuff, I just don't think it is going to have as much an affect on things as some of the Xbox fanboys are dreaming about. Yes, some games will have dedicate servers for online play, just like some do now but, I do not believe that one day every game on the XB1 will use dedicated servers. I also think that very few multi-platform games will use the services, BF4 is going to be P2P on both the XB1 and PS4 so, no advantage there. I also don't think that this cloud computing will make games that much better, if anything, it will just make up for the differences between the XB1 and PS4 specs. I'm not even convince it will do that though, especially now that MS has back tracked on there online requirement, devs can't count on there games being online and having access to the cloud so I bet even fewer bother designing for it now. Maybe I'm completely wrong but will just have to wait and see.

What I find funny is that in the Xbox thread a few are trying to convince every one that being next gen doesn't just mean better graphics and beefier specs but, that is all it has ever meant to me. I don't play PC games, I've always been a console person from NES to 360 so, new generations to me have always been my PC upgrades, just give me a more powerful machine that gives developers more freedom to make better games. If I was a PC gamer, every few years I'd spend money to upgrade for the sole reason of getting better game performance and better looking graphics; that's all I want from a new console. I really don't care about social network integration or TV service integration and all that other fluff. I just want a pure gaming machine, this is my 8 years in the making PC upgrade. This is why I decided to cancel my XB1 pre-order yesterday and just focus on getting excited for the PS4. Honestly, in the end, I think both consoles are going to be great gaming machines with very little differences between the two, I just like Sony's message better.
Bikerduck, J_P_A and s1njin like this.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #3075 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

What I find funny is that in the Xbox thread a few are trying to convince every one that being next gen doesn't just mean better graphics and beefier specs but, that is all it has ever meant to me. I don't play PC games, I've always been a console person from NES to 360 so, new generations to me have always been my PC upgrades, just give me a more powerful machine that gives developers more freedom to make better games. If I was a PC gamer, every few years I'd spend money to upgrade for the sole reason of getting better game performance and better looking graphics; that's all I want from a new console. I really don't care about social network integration or TV service integration and all that other fluff. I just want a pure gaming machine, this is my 8 years in the making PC upgrade. This is why I decided to cancel my XB1 pre-order yesterday and just focus on getting excited for the PS4. Honestly, in the end, I think both consoles are going to be great gaming machines with very little differences between the two, I just like Sony's message better.

Preach on brother !!!!
post #3076 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

So, after watching GT's E3 awards videos, I agree with there verdict; The Witcher 3 looks amazing. I love open world RPG games but, I've never played either of the first 2 "Witcher" games. Skyrim has sucked up most of my RPG gaming since it was released. Are "The Witcher" games a good fit for Skyrim fans?

About this cloud stuff, I just don't think it is going to have as much an affect on things as some of the Xbox fanboys are dreaming about. Yes, some games will have dedicate servers for online play, just like some do now but, I do not believe that one day every game on the XB1 will use dedicated servers. I also think that very few multi-platform games will use the services, BF4 is going to be P2P on both the XB1 and PS4 so, no advantage there. I also don't think that this cloud computing will make games that much better, if anything, it will just make up for the differences between the XB1 and PS4 specs. I'm not even convince it will do that though, especially now that MS has back tracked on there online requirement, devs can't count on there games being online and having access to the cloud so I bet even fewer bother designing for it now. Maybe I'm completely wrong but will just have to wait and see.

Yep. I don't see multi-plats spending much time on kinect or cloud integration. So until I'm proven wrong, it's just a lot of hype with little substance on the XB180 side to me. And I assure you, that's hard for me to say because I'm a pretty devout 360 fan. I'm making an effort now to play my PS3 more just to get more accustomed to the differences. You know, training for my PS4 smile.gif

I have similar opinions about next gen graphics as well. All these bells and whistles they're bragging about are things I'll likely never use. The running joke in my house is I make an annual facespace update, and I don't want to waste it on trivial stuff. When I get time to play a video game (which is hard to come by with two small kids), I don't want to spend my time updating facebook or looking at youtube videos. I want to play a game, and if I'm about to drop 4 C-notes on a new system, I want the graphics to make it worth it! I'd be interested to see what those same guys lamenting the loss of the "next gen" capabilities would have to say if the new console was only as powerful as this gen, but with all these new features. Ive got a feeling they wouldn't be too happy with the graphics compared to the competition.
Bikerduck likes this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #3077 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
Quote:

BF4 is going to be P2P on both the XB1 and PS4 so, no advantage there.
BF3 already used dedicated servers on PS3, why would they change that in BF4? Is there any confirmation about this? 64 player P2P sounds like a mess, even though it would be an advantage in my case because there are no dedicated servers close to me, IMO both options should be available.

I don't see all third party Xbone games using dedicated servers unless Microsoft will give it to them for free, which I highly doubt, same thing goes for PS4, dedicated servers will probably be mostly for 1st party titles. As for cloud computing, like has been said a million times, that thing will remain ******** until proven otherwise when people start to use with released games, I can easily see Sony providing a similar service if it happened to be a success, there's nothing stopping them from doing that, but then again using these servers will also require money and God knows what kind of problems they'll cause games that developers wouldn't want to get involved in.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #3078 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 692
I've seen floating around the web that "cloud" is Xbone's "Cell."
post #3079 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

BF3 already used dedicated servers on PS3, why would they change that in BF4? Is there any confirmation about this? 64 player P2P sounds like a mess, even though it would be an advantage in my case because there are no dedicated servers close to me, IMO both options should be available.

I don't see all third party Xbone games using dedicated servers unless Microsoft will give it to them for free, which I highly doubt, same thing goes for PS4, dedicated servers will probably be mostly for 1st party titles. As for cloud computing, like has been said a million times, that thing will remain ******** until proven otherwise when people start to use with released games, I can easily see Sony providing a similar service if it happened to be a success, there's nothing stopping them from doing that, but then again using these servers will also require money and God knows what kind of problems they'll cause games that developers wouldn't want to get involved in.

I was about to post the same thing. BF3 used dedicated servers on PC, 360, and PS3. More false information flying around.

You could even rent your own dedicated server and moderate it how you wanted.

Also, if you've never played bf3 on pc with 64 man teams, you don't know what you're missing.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #3080 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

It does sound good, but they are spinning. They're using a lot of words to essentially say "dedicated servers", which is about as new as 1995. It's a far cry from the image of the cloud they're trying to instill in people's minds.

Being able to scale servers to meet demand instantaneously is a big deal though, but then the question becomes of cost, and how much cheaper it is then running some crap servers out of their own backwater hubs. Sony has options too to do so, but I'm not sure they have the capital to invest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

Let's see if games on the Xbone use it. If they do make use of it, Sony needs to respond or be at a serious competitive advantage. I see it raising costs for publishers so I have doubts about how much we will see it. Console launches are the land of broken dreams and promises.

Maybe.

Same thing was being said about games this Gen and on PC; then COD hit. A minority of people complained (THIS GUY), but COD players mostly had no clue and it's a $3 billion dollar P2P franchise now. It solely moved both the console and the PC game industry away from dedicated servers, and showed that you wouldn't get penalized for not spending that cash. People simply don't care about the underlying tech, they care about their total experience overall.

I suppose if they really hammer that you need the cloud into peoples minds, and create a brand that people craze, maybe. But if the next gen dominate IP doesn't use it... the marketing crumbles.
post #3081 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:

BF4 is going to be P2P on both the XB1

Battlefield has NEVER been P2P, in any of it's iterations or history. Got a link to that, because it be very disappointing.

As for Azure cloud services, if say DICE decides to use it; I don't see MS saying they can't use it for all their platforms. I don't even see a way they'd be able to filter out just PS3/PS4 traffic from 360/XBone/PC.

Azure is a service, plain and simple, and they're paid to provide it regardless. They're not going to do anything to hurt increasing their revenue and marketshare. Just like Sony would never say no to MS for licensing Blu-Ray and a litany of other patents and licensing that go back and forth in the tech world.

Perceived slights of fanboys non-withstanding. If 3rd party (and even Sony) need to use Azure in the future, thats a win as far as MS is concerned. They'll be happy to sell them a service that directly competes with Apple, Google, and Amazon among a ton of smaller players. One just need to look at their recent announcement with Oracle.
post #3082 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sony has been doing some of the server support stuff for the PS3 all along; no reason to think that next gen would be different as the needs arise.

Multiplayer modes for games like MAG (256 player matches) and also for some series entries for Uncharted, Resistance, Killzone, etc. Dedicated "cloud" servers were used even as far back as Warhawk in 2007 on a limited basis:

Lastly, a Sony exec has already said that they can use cloud stuff for the PS4 if needed, so we'll have to see what happens.

post #3083 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 07:55 AM

All I Know is Killzone: Shadow Falls better be going back to Dedicated Servers & give the option of a Server Browser.

The KZ3 was absolutely shameful, especially after KZ2 being a really fun, but different/unique FPS.
post #3084 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
Since if your console has an activated PSN Plus account, any account on that console will get access to MP, I'm wondering how much people will exploit this to create a "shared MP PSN Plus account" to activate on 2 consoles so both would get access to MP.

Maybe Sony would only allow one PSN Plus activation per PS4 unlike the current 2 PS3s to avoid this? That would kinda suck.

I personally already mentioned how I think MP shouldn't be behind a pay wall since you already paid for the game and developers who created their own online setup, so I don't this being unfair at all. How does XBL gold work in this regard btw?

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #3085 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

Since if your console has an activated PSN Plus account, any account on that console will get access to MP, I'm wondering how much people will exploit this to create a "shared MP PSN Plus account" to activate on 2 consoles so both would get access to MP.

Maybe Sony would only allow one PSN Plus activation per PS4 unlike the current 2 PS3s to avoid this? That would kinda suck.

I personally already mentioned how I think MP shouldn't be behind a pay wall since you already paid for the game and developers who created their own online setup, so I don't this being unfair at all. How does XBL gold work in this regard btw?

My guess is it's not pegged to consoles, but sub-accounts.
post #3086 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry guys, it was COD I read that was most likely going to be P2P, not BF4. My mistake. Even that is just speculation though.

post #3087 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Sorry guys, it was COD I read that was most likely going to be P2P, not BF4. My mistake. Even that is just speculation though.

The CoD community has been screaming for dedicated servers over the P2P for awhile now. I don't see Activision switching over any time soon.
post #3088 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tyrant posted a link where the developer (Mark someone) basically said that it will be P2P. He also said that lots of people prefer P2P.
post #3089 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I got my games crossed, I know COD has been P2P and will continue that way. Didn't realize the dev had already made a statement about Ghost which is why is said it was speculation, guess not now. I don't play COD, I've tried but for some reason I have just never been able to get into it, I love Battlefield though.

post #3090 of 17113 Old 06-25-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I got my games crossed, I know COD has been P2P and will continue that way. Didn't realize the dev had already made a statement about Ghost which is why is said it was speculation, guess not now. I don't play COD, I've tried but for some reason I have just never been able to get into it, I love Battlefield though.
I agree on that point! I have bought all the COD games but I mostly play BF3 for MP. I have yet to buy BLOPS2. I will wait until it is cheaper but I am picking up BF4 immediately.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page