PlayStation 4 - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 17101 Old 03-06-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I think it would be good to download a first party game of your choice for free. Some people might not care about the game Sony choose but giving people a list of options will make people more comfortable getting the PS4 right away. Another option would be to have the games already in the hard drive. For example their could be say 5 first party games inside and once you pick the one you want, that game becomes unlocked and the rest eighter gets deleted automatically or you can choose to purchase them. This way, you wont need to spend time downloading the game you select.
Christian Smith likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 17101 Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Oooh, I like that idea a lot.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #303 of 17101 Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Oooh, I like that idea a lot.

It is similar to how they did the PSN hack free games, giving you a list and letting you pick.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #304 of 17101 Old 03-06-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 144
online play isn't going to be free anymore. That will be included with plus, along with Knack, and some indy type games that are getting ready for the launch of the online PS4 store. I'm guessing it will be something like Knack that is included, rather than Shadow Fall or Second Son. Maybe in March or something, they add one of those to Plus. Or Drive Club.
post #305 of 17101 Old 03-06-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

At least having the games pee-installed can can make it easier on the consumer since since some PS3 games are huge like the Uncharted series and who knows how big some of these PS4 games will be. Since the games are already pre-installed, Sony could also allow people to play the first level as a demo and you'd have to pay the full price to play the full game. That's like how some demos are now in which you end up downloading the whole game. On the other hand, that would probably delay the manufacturing by too much if you include say 100 gigs of data on the hard drive.
post #306 of 17101 Old 03-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

online play isn't going to be free anymore. That will be included with plus, along with Knack, and some indy type games that are getting ready for the launch of the online PS4 store. I'm guessing it will be something like Knack that is included, rather than Shadow Fall or Second Son. Maybe in March or something, they add one of those to Plus. Or Drive Club.

Charging for online play would be a disappointment. From then on its a short step to charging for other stuff that used to be free like Netflix etc. yes, I don't want another ripoff like Xbox Live. I will be ok paying for Plus if it gives me free games, streaming of old games etc. Not the basics.
post #307 of 17101 Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Downloading 20+ gig files is really going to suck. I'm going to want the physical disk. Just wondering if there will be a used game "activation" fee for the next owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

Charging for online play would be a disappointment. From then on its a short step to charging for other stuff that used to be free like Netflix etc. yes, I don't want another ripoff like Xbox Live. I will be ok paying for Plus if it gives me free games, streaming of old games etc. Not the basics.

Sony saw what MS did with that Xbox Live fee. That was tons of money for MS. Sony isn't going to give away online play this gen. It's going to be part of Plus.

Of course, this is just my guess, but I'll be shocked if online play is totally free again. (Netflix will be free, unlike Xbox)
post #308 of 17101 Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Charging for online play would be like shooting themselves in the foot. Especially with it having always been free in the past and with Nintendo offering free online play. A lot of people would not upgrade from the PS3 if they charged for online. Especially with the lack of BC, what reason would anyone have to upgrade early on?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #309 of 17101 Old 03-07-2013, 03:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
I doubt they'll let you pick the game....I mean, they do want you to actually buy some games too. They could bundle one or two games with mass appeal, like one full retail game and one PSN game. Something like LBP that can show the system off and relies on a big audience, and something simple like stardust.

And then just let that be the PS4 plus offering for 6 months, while they keep putting out PS3/Vita games. Eventually they'll get it to 3-4 games a month a year or two in.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #310 of 17101 Old 03-07-2013, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:

Downloading 20+ gig files is really going to suck. I'm going to want the physical disk. Just wondering if there will be a used game "activation" fee for the next owner.
Sony saw what MS did with that Xbox Live fee. That was tons of money for MS. Sony isn't going to give away online play this gen. It's going to be part of Plus.

Of course, this is just my guess, but I'll be shocked if online play is totally free again. (Netflix will be free, unlike Xbox)

It's my hope that Sony sees the demand for social features and goes with it, but not in the facebook sense.

Imagine game stat tracking and friend comparing, leaderboards, cross game clan support, cross game chat, rotating trophies/achievements/contests ala what BF3 premium is doing, game forums / FAQs / info pages all integrated INTO PS+. It be awesome, and it would be added value that a lot of gamers would love to have.

You can keep simple online free, but access to the social aspects can be PS+. With only those things, you could add tons of additional little goodies too.

Imagine using the stat tracking to create your own trophy requirements for friends and challenging them to do something you made up and were able to do.
post #311 of 17101 Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Charging for online play would be like shooting themselves in the foot. Especially with it having always been free in the past and with Nintendo offering free online play. A lot of people would not upgrade from the PS3 if they charged for online. Especially with the lack of BC, what reason would anyone have to upgrade early on?
Sony's done a good job of selling PS+ through various perks. They could do the same with the PS4 and get away with charging for online gaming.

PS3 wasn't the preferred console for most competitive multiplayer gamers (i.e. CoD), so I don't think Sony is too worried about losing people by charging for online play. Their decision to buck BC shows that they operate according to market research rather than internet ire. I imagine that if Sony can get their console out before MS, they'll target current 360-only owners and do just fine if they charge for online. I hope they don't. But they certainly could. And for those that don't want to pay for online play, there are still alternatives (Wii U, mobile, and PC).

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #312 of 17101 Old 03-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

It's my hope that Sony sees the demand for social features and goes with it, but not in the facebook sense.

Imagine game stat tracking and friend comparing, leaderboards, cross game clan support, cross game chat, rotating trophies/achievements/contests ala what BF3 premium is doing, game forums / FAQs / info pages all integrated INTO PS+. It be awesome, and it would be added value that a lot of gamers would love to have.

You can keep simple online free, but access to the social aspects can be PS+. With only those things, you could add tons of additional little goodies too.

Imagine using the stat tracking to create your own trophy requirements for friends and challenging them to do something you made up and were able to do.

That's an interesting idea. It sounds kind of like what Rockstar does with its Social Club.
post #313 of 17101 Old 03-07-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Sony's done a good job of selling PS+ through various perks. They could do the same with the PS4 and get away with charging for online gaming.

PS3 wasn't the preferred console for most competitive multiplayer gamers (i.e. CoD), so I don't think Sony is too worried about losing people by charging for online play. Their decision to buck BC shows that they operate according to market research rather than internet ire. I imagine that if Sony can get their console out before MS, they'll target current 360-only owners and do just fine if they charge for online. I hope they don't. But they certainly could. And for those that don't want to pay for online play, there are still alternatives (Wii U, mobile, and PC).

The lack of BC probably has more to do with the change away from the cell and cost to implement it in PS4. I also believe that is is of greatest value at launch and diminishes from there.
post #314 of 17101 Old 03-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

BC is a losing proposition for both consoles - they are brand new architectures, adding BC via hardware is expensive, makes the console bigger, run hotter and less reliable, and the demand just isn't there, outside a few forums. And if it allows Sony to sell more subscriptions to their PS3 gaming service (when it happens), that's a bonus.

But doing away with free online play, that would cause a LOT of negative press for Sony. Most people rightly see PSN as a better service than Live because its free, and most games are multiplayer. Sony can easily make PS+ so attractive that most people will sign up for it anyway, but making it mandatory sends out the wrong signals.

post #315 of 17101 Old 03-07-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Agreed on both counts. We'll continue to hear noise every now and then about the lack of full BC (outside of Gaikai), but it won't matter much in the end. However, charging for basic online play would be monumentally stupid if Sony went that route.

So far, PS+ has been designed around the incentive-based "carrot" approach (offer stuff that is appealing to gamers) as opposed to the punitive, hit them over the head "stick" approach (pay up or we take something you already paid for away from you).

It would be terrible if they threw that goodwill into the toilet next gen by not allowing basic online play to remain free for all.

post #316 of 17101 Old 03-07-2013, 02:53 PM

Liked: 15
http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/07/nvidia-rolls-out-apex-and-physx-developer-support-for-the-ps4/

Just because the PlayStation 4 centers around an AMD-based platform doesn't mean that NVIDIA is out of the picture. The graphics firm is updating the software developer kits for both its Apex dynamics framework and PhysX physics modeling system to address Sony's new console, even if they won't have the full hardware acceleration that comes with using NVIDIA's own chipsets. The introductions will mostly take some of the guesswork out of creating realistic-looking games -- theoretically, adding a larger number of collisions, destructible objects and subtler elements like cloth and hair modeling. Most of us won't see the fruits of the updated SDKs until at least this holiday, but programmers looking for more plausible PS4 game worlds can hit the source links.

NVIDIA Announces PhysX and APEX Support for Sony Computer Entertainment's PlayStation®4

SANTA CLARA, Calif.-March 7, 2013-NVIDIA today announced support for the Sony Computer Entertainment's PlayStation®4 with the popular NVIDIA® PhysX® and NVIDIA® APEX® software development kits (SDKs).

Game designers use PhysX and APEX technologies for collision detection and simulation of rigid bodies, clothing, fluids, particle systems and more across a wide range of platforms, including desktop PCs, game consoles, and mobile and handheld devices.

NVIDIA PhysX technology is the world's most pervasive physics solution for designing real-time, real-world effects into interactive entertainment titles. The PhysX development environment gives developers unprecedented control over the look of their final in-game interactivity.

Taking PhysX technology content creation to the next level, NVIDIA APEX technology lets artists create intricate physics-enabled environments. They can expand the quantity and visual quality of destructible objects; make smoke and other particle-based fluids integral to game play; and create life-like clothing that interacts with the character's body to achieve more realism in their games.

"Great physics technology is essential for delivering a better gaming experience and multiplatform support is critical for developers," said Mike Skolones, product manager for the PhysX at NVIDIA. "With PhysX and APEX support for PlayStation®4, customers can look forward to better games."

NVIDIA PhysX and APEX technologies are designed to run on a variety of CPU architectures and can be accelerated by any CUDA® architecture-enabled NVIDIA GPU, GeForce 8-series or higher.
post #317 of 17101 Old 03-07-2013, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Interesting.
Quote:
Weekly Famitsu has conducted a poll between Feb 22 - 26, asking Japanese players about their opinions on PlayStation 4, 1580 votes were returned ....

1. What is your first impression of PlayStation 4?

370 - very promising
411 - promising
310 - not promising
292 - uncertain
197 - not interested

2. What function are you most interested? (multiple choices)

973 - Graphics quality
873 - Faster data access time
589 - Cloud services
588 - Second screen
452 - DualShock 4 Touch Pad
370 - Sharing
201 - PS4 Eye
190 - Other

3. Which game are you most interested?

891 - Final Fantasy latest work
349 - Watch Dogs
340 - Deep Down
292 - Killzone: Shadow Fall
226 - inFamous: Second Son

4. What detail are you looking forward the most? (multiple choices)

1064 - Price
882 - Software support
570 - Console Design
430 - Launch date
218 - Other

post #318 of 17101 Old 03-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

PhysX is proprietary crap and needs to die. Nvidia tried to sell their box cards bh thing games to it, but now we have things like TressFX using open source code from AMD that runs on all DX11 cards, like it should. Nvidia have always been greedy liars.
post #319 of 17101 Old 03-08-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

What are the chances that Sony might be porting some of their PS3 games to PS4 ? Specifically Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls.

Inquiring minds want to know. (i'm guessing not much of a chance)
post #320 of 17101 Old 03-08-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope that every game on the PSN gets a port. Digital BC is something that is very important to me and without it I stop buying digital period. I didn't buy a single digital game on Nintendo hardware because I thought they would be the one most likely to screw everyone over, but so far they are the only ones doing it right.

It sucks because I have a long list of games I would buy if the guarantee was there, and I would move to all digital just because they would transfer to the new hardware.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #321 of 17101 Old 03-08-2013, 09:02 PM

Liked: 10
Although it took me years til I ever bought the previous two Playstation consoles. I am highly excited about this new one and think it might be the console I buy at launch. I am a bit sick of being behind the times when it comes to consoles. I was a PC gamer for so many years I always neglected the systems everyone else had been enjoying. I feel kinda bad I never had a Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox360, or Wii. biggrin.gif
post #322 of 17101 Old 03-08-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEPenguin View Post

Although it took me years til I ever bought the previous two Playstation consoles. I am highly excited about this new one and think it might be the console I buy at launch. I am a bit sick of being behind the times when it comes to consoles. I was a PC gamer for so many years I always neglected the systems everyone else had been enjoying. I feel kinda bad I never had a Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox360, or Wii. biggrin.gif

You've been playing PC and PS3 then ?
post #323 of 17101 Old 03-09-2013, 03:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What are the chances that Sony might be porting some of their PS3 games to PS4 ? Specifically Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls.

Inquiring minds want to know. (i'm guessing not much of a chance)

100%....in a few years. The HD remakes have been a huge success for Sony. Remains to be seen how quick they get them out of the door, but there's no question.

post #324 of 17101 Old 03-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I hope that every game on the PSN gets a port. Digital BC is something that is very important to me and without it I stop buying digital period. I didn't buy a single digital game on Nintendo hardware because I thought they would be the one most likely to screw everyone over, but so far they are the only ones doing it right.

It sucks because I have a long list of games I would buy if the guarantee was there, and I would move to all digital just because they would transfer to the new hardware.

What is the nintendo BC system? I'm interested because the last thing I read was any digital games you buy are tied to the hardware. I wanted that remake of Blaster Master, one of my favorite games of all time, but I have no interest in owning a wii. I don't think I can get it for wiiu.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #325 of 17101 Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

What is the nintendo BC system? I'm interested because the last thing I read was any digital games you buy are tied to the hardware. I wanted that remake of Blaster Master, one of my favorite games of all time, but I have no interest in owning a wii. I don't think I can get it for wiiu.

Nintendo has an account system coming before E3 (current estimate) But for now everything is tied to your hardware, however, you can transfer everything on your Wii to your Wii U, including save files. The same thing works for your DSi to a 3DS, everything transfers over.

The entire Wii eshop can be accessed on the Wii U through the Wii mode. The Wii U Virtual Console will launch soon as well, where you can transfer any of your Wii VC games to the Wi U VC (and get new features like off TV play) for a small upgrade fee. (you can still use them all in Wii mode at no additional charge if you don't want to pay the upgrade fee for the added features.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #326 of 17101 Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

100%....in a few years. The HD remakes have been a huge success for Sony. Remains to be seen how quick they get them out of the door, but there's no question.

HD to HD ....I don't see a big market for that. My advice -- keep you PS3 for games you want to replay. It's cheaper and it just makes sense to go that route. Plus, you can put all the Netlix and BluRay wear and tear on your PS3 instead of your shiny new PS4. It's a win-win all around.

500 gigs FTW.
post #327 of 17101 Old 03-09-2013, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't necessarily call it HD to HD. For example, it could be 720p to 1080p or games that were originally 30p can now be 60p. .They'd also be able to add stuff that they originally wanted to at first but couldn't because of the PS3's Ram situation. Sort of like a director's cut version.
post #328 of 17101 Old 03-09-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
60 fps would be nice, but not nice enough to make me repurchase a game I already own. I just don't think the difference is going to be big enough this time for people to justify buying a game again. With PS2 to PS3, the HD conversion made a big difference. But a slight bump in resolution with an increased frame rate isn't going to cut it, I don't think.

500 gigs FTW.
post #329 of 17101 Old 03-10-2013, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Don't forget 3D. I know, I know....everyone hates 3D.

post #330 of 17101 Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I just thought of something. from this discussion. Some of the additional new perks we'll get with our PS4s is the ability to record up to 15 minutes of play and have friends drop in to watch and/or take control of our current activity. How much of that is 100% independent of the game, and how much of it must be universally coded to work? Not only that, the trophy system (which currently is coded into PS3 games) may change up in some way if Sony wants.

What I am getting at is that besides the super HD, 60 fps 3D conversion of PS3 classics, they would also make these games fully PS4 compatible with all the new perks included.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page