Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

actually his pricing is wayyy off, he forgot a couple of things

everyone needs to have a TV
everyone needs a house or apartment
everyone is going to want a couch

so really the PS4 is closer to $123,456

XB1 easily wins because, with Kinect, you don't even need a couch.
benjamin-benjami likes this.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 18100 Old 07-03-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

When I read this the first time, I thought you were implying I could sit on the Kinect (like a couch, guys, like a couch). ....

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3333 of 18100 Old 07-03-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I would agree with you but i don't know if morally i can agree with an alabama fan, it just feels wrong...
J_P_A likes this.
post #3334 of 18100 Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
For games, Bluray is only useful as an install disc. Disc drives just aren't fast enough to stream games anymore. All PS4 and XBO games will require mandatory installs for their games. (Whether they are full or partial installs hasn't been confirmed yet)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #3335 of 18100 Old 07-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

When I read this the first time, I thought you were implying I could sit on the Kinect (like a couch, guys, like a couch). ....

You'll be able to use the PS4 console or PS eye for a couch cause "it does everything".

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #3336 of 18100 Old 07-03-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post

You'll be able to use the PS4 console or PS eye for a couch cause "it does everything".

But can it print money? Find out this Holiday!

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #3337 of 18100 Old 07-03-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

But can it print money? Find out this Holiday!

wish I had a money printer frown.gif
post #3338 of 18100 Old 07-04-2013, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/jul/03/sony-ps4-e3-andrew-house
Anyone know the actual dates of when kits were delivered by both companies. The PS4 was suppose to make programming easier so that may ore may not be a valid point.

Final kits haven't been delivered yet.

I'd also hold off on that comparison. Digital Foundry confirmed that pretty much all the third party showings they had were being run off PC's with very non-Dev-kit like specs. Forza, Project Spark, and KI were the only things running on Dev-kit hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Yeah, the "work more hours for it" nonsense Kutaragi said during the PS3 reveal was the same sort of mistranslated flubbing that should have either been not said at all or at least put through a wringer first before coming from his mouth. It happens though and the negative aspects are magnified based on what's gone on so far. Sony definitely benefited from following MS and you have to wonder how it would have gone down had Sony revealed all first.

Who said Sony can't do any wrong? I agree with you 100%, and it was just another flub in their terrible PS3 launch and their complete reversals of NA market dominance from the PS2. That Cerny interview is jaw dropping on how arrogant they got. They believed that third parties would make their console the base console because it was more powerful, disregarding that it was a lot more complicated and harder to develop for. They also believed that their superior knowledge, thus better looking first part titles would embarrass third parties to put in that effort. Then there's the whole $599 U S Dollars and the job comments; and remember that crying baby commercial? Sony PR here in the west didn't have a clue.

They might have turned it around, and look to not be making the same mistakes this next gen; but I don't think you'll find many people defending how terrible it was for a bit.

MS, for some reason, has decided they want to walk that line now too. Gotta love that third console hubris!
post #3339 of 18100 Old 07-04-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

PS4 final devkits were in use at E3, some games were even running on actual hardware. Software may be incomplete but the chipset should be final in terms of hardware. (Clock speed may not be set in stone, with rumors of the CPU being clocked up to 2.0GHZ)

Many devs spent the weeks before E3 making sure they could demo their games on the actual hardware and not just devkits.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #3340 of 18100 Old 07-04-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/04/this-ps4-retailer-display-mock-up-is-an-awesome-glimpse-on-the-future/

Interesting store display concept. (Very Blue...)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #3341 of 18100 Old 07-04-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of ads...

http://m.joystiq.com/2013/02/06/sony-replaces-kevin-butler-ad-agency-with-axe-firm/

Remember this from early in the year? Looks like Sony made the right call now that the dust from E3 is mostly settled.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #3342 of 18100 Old 07-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:

Speaking of ads...

http://m.joystiq.com/2013/02/06/sony-replaces-kevin-butler-ad-agency-with-axe-firm/

Remember this from early in the year? Looks like Sony made the right call now that the dust from E3 is mostly settled.

I see this as a downgrade. That axe astronaut add is terrible. I always enjoyed the Kevin Butler ads, and after visiting that link, saw what is apparently the first one, which I had never seen before.

Still hate the playstation tag at the end of all ps commercials. I can at least hope this new agency can come up with something new there.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #3343 of 18100 Old 07-04-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post

I don't know about lemmings..."proper lemmings" would join the "Oh no! Kinect is able to tell if I'm the only one in the room and tailor ads accordingly!!!??? We're all doomed!"-bandwagon. You have to give it a minute to gain traction, and then there will be no stopping them--off the FUD cliff they go! Now, since this isn't the XB1 thread, it does make one wonder why Kinect ads would be a topic of discussion--but that's just me...I ask the tough questions.

I come here in hopes of finding something to get me interested in the PS4...guess I'll check back later.

Well, we know Sony won't be using their camera to target ads at their users, so there's that.

As for MS, who you going to believe? What they told their advertising partners, or the drivel of a few fanboys who apparent have no issue with whatever turd sandwich is fed to them, and just keep repeating the talking points of the day. BTW, have you seen Titanfall?

wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I see this as a downgrade. That axe astronaut add is terrible. I always enjoyed the Kevin Butler ads, and after visiting that link, saw what is apparently the first one, which I had never seen before.

Still hate the playstation tag at the end of all ps commercials. I can at least hope this new agency can come up with something new there.

Agreed. Butler commercials were awesome, and Sony shouldn't have put up such a stink over his contact mishap. The last ad agency pretty much saved them after their terrible launch and marketing.

That said, the new one seems to be pushing Sony on the idea that they have to not just make good ads, but have them seen. I've seen more replays of their PS4 launch commercial since E3 than I have for PS3 games over the last 3 years. So there's that.
post #3344 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Very nice....

http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/05/warframe-dev-praises-developer-friendly-ps4-tech-dualshock-4-best-console-controller-yet/
Quote:
Digital Extremes is bringing its free co-op shooter Warframe to PS4 at launch and it will bear negligible differences to the PC build. It is almost like-for-like and allows cross play between Sony’s hardware and PC, making for a truly connected co-op experience. The team has repeatedly stressed that it wants no content differences between builds. At all.
freemeat likes this.
post #3345 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Thanks for the link, it really sounds promising. cool.gif

XBL : neonima

PSN : NeoNima
post #3346 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hpEE2J2KaM

This is a demo of the gameplay and interview with developer.. Looks really good . At least the XB1 gets the F2W ads... smile.gif
post #3347 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 05:29 AM

Liked: 15
PS4 release date in UK, PS4 UK price, PS4 specs confirmed

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/game/3350902/ps4-release-date-specs-price-uk/#ixzz2YAorKYMW

Expect to see the PS4 in UK stores by mid November 2013
post #3348 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I removed a number of off-topic posts. Remember, this is a PS4 thread, not an Xbox thread. Obviously, technical comparisons are welcome, but trolling isn't.

RIGHT: "I've noticed the game load time on the PS4 is a good deal faster than the XBox."

WRONG: "ThEm XBox/PS4 Fanbois oUR thRowin aWay $$$ LMFAOMGZZZ!!111"

Further off-topic posts will result in being banned from this thread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3349 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

http://kotaku.com/japanese-gamers-and-retailers-on-the-next-gen-consoles-667412789

Interesting read on how Japanese gamers and retailers see next gen pricing.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #3350 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

A summary of that July 4th Edge article

http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fps4insider.de%2Fnews%3Fv%3D185

this is a summary posted on GAF
Quote:
To go through their reasoning and some of the more cutting comments:

- PS4 focusses on players, that it is cheaper is 'merely one of its various advantages'
- Success isn't merely about price, but unfortunately for Microsoft PS4 is more powerful, and more developer friendly and has far better brand perception
- Microsoft's brand perception after the DRM reversal may no longer be 'down the toilet' but is still 'dangling somewhere around the rim'.
- Sony is willing to let indies self publish and release on PC and that, along with Sony's 17-strong WWS, leads Edge to believe that 'leaves little doubt as to which of the platform holders will offer the broadest range of games, at least early on'.
- Edge believes Microsoft has 'alienated the most vibrant development community in the modern era' and that their approach to indies is akin to them not courting EA or Epic last generation.
- Edge thinks their policies may see hundreds of game losses to PS4 over time
- After weeks of mixed messages Microsoft is 'a difficult company to trust'.
- Xbox One is the latest in a line of Microsoft experiments that consumers have rejected for similar reasons - a line that arrived too late with features that were too early for the market. Microsoft 'has constantly misjudged consumers' expectations', their new box 'equally confused'.
- Microsoft has 16 exclusive titles but they are 'trapped' in the shadows of a mythical magic box that 'solves a hundred problems you never cared about solving in the first place'.
- "In turning things around, Microsoft faces the kind of challenge that once drove the mighty Sega out of the hardware business"
rolltide1017 likes this.
post #3351 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Who said Sony can't do any wrong? I agree with you 100%, and it was just another flub in their terrible PS3 launch and their complete reversals of NA market dominance from the PS2. That Cerny interview is jaw dropping on how arrogant they got. They believed that third parties would make their console the base console because it was more powerful, disregarding that it was a lot more complicated and harder to develop for. They also believed that their superior knowledge, thus better looking first part titles would embarrass third parties to put in that effort. Then there's the whole $599 U S Dollars and the job comments; and remember that crying baby commercial? Sony PR here in the west didn't have a clue.

They might have turned it around, and look to not be making the same mistakes this next gen; but I don't think you'll find many people defending how terrible it was for a bit.

MS, for some reason, has decided they want to walk that line now too. Gotta love that third console hubris!

It's interesting to see a company do such an abrupt about face (even though they really started a few years back) with respect to how they perceive the market (both from Sony and MS). I can say I'm genuinely impressed with what Sony's done to mold the appearance of a company humbled by their previous effort and who is willing to do what it takes to get gamers back on their side. I have no doubt there's a lot of sincerity in their actions as well (of course motivated also by wanting to be profitable). It seems rare to see such an admittance of failure from a corporation (especially one like Sony). I still want to see them stay honest and that's where MS needs to be successful to compete. It seems to be what happens when one company gets too powerful. As 'aw shucks we're your buddy' friendly as Sony seems now I have no doubt should they repeat the success of the PS2 we'd see them fall back to more pre-PS3 levels of arrogance. It happens and has happened to every major player in the console arena the past 20 years or so. Hate 'em or not we (and Sony) need MS to be successful to keep Sony honest (and vice versa). It's why I support both companies.

Here's a question I haven't seen asked: Have we seen the start-up boot for the PS4 UI? Have we seen the entirety of the UI even? I've seen bits and pieces but not much more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3352 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
pcweber, they haven't shown off the entire UI yet, but I am sure it will be coming soon. I also agree that I like that they were humbled and had no problem admitting they screwed up. During the reveal in February, they basically said the cell was a bad move and they were fixing it. Good for Sony and good for gamers.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #3353 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I actually liked the XMB for what it was and was sorta sad to see them abandon it. It had potential if tweaked properly. Hopefully though we'll get something better than the mess that is the Vita UI. Actually I hope the store keeps a lot of what they changed but speeds up. It stutters to no end and though I can see where they're headed with it it just seems the PS3 doesn't have the chops to pull it off. I would have preferred they stuck with the second iteration of the store for now. It was much faster.

post #3354 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

I actually liked the XMB for what it was and was sorta sad to see them abandon it. It had potential if tweaked properly. Hopefully though we'll get something better than the mess that is the Vita UI. Actually I hope the store keeps a lot of what they changed but speeds up. It stutters to no end and though I can see where they're headed with it it just seems the PS3 doesn't have the chops to pull it off. I would have preferred they stuck with the second iteration of the store for now. It was much faster.
I am not a very big fan of the current store, just because I think it could be organized a little better. I do like that on the XBox I can go to arcade if I want arcade games, and on demand for those. It's not super hard to navigate the ps store, but I think they could just a little better job of making it easier to find your categories instead of having to use filters. But I will agree with you on XMB. I wasn't a very big fan of it, but enjoy it more than the current Xbox dash because they continue to make us use extra steps to find the stuff we want, unless we pin things to our home page.

post #3355 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I have been a fan of the XMB since the PSP launch, and I am sad to see it go after 8 years. It was simple and easy to use, and everything you needed was always just seconds away. I wish it was still an option on the Vita and PS4.

The store on the otherhand... they really need to speed it up, that, or go back to the old store, even with fast internet it takes forever to load some stuff. Hopefully the PS4 is "instant" like they love to throw around.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #3356 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Being a new convert to Sony, I never really paid much attention to the PS commercials in the past. With my PS4 preorder locked in, I've been paying closer attention to their adds, and I have to say that the little "Playstation" thing at the end is pretty catchy. I find myself repeating it over and over during the day without thinking about it. I'm sure it will get old, but for now it doesn't bother me. I do think the platinum blond in the camo pants in the background is pretty funny in this commercial, though (enters around the 45 sec. mark). She's walking like she's trying sell something, alright, but maybe not PlayStations wink.gif

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #3357 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

pc'weber, they haven't shown off the entire UI yet, but I am sure it will be coming soon. I also agree that I like that they were humbled and had no problem admitting they screwed up. During the reveal in February, they basically said the cell was a bad move and they were fixing it. Good for Sony and good for gamers.

Whats more amazing to me is that they handed over PS4 development to Cerny, who isn't even a Sony employee. He's been around them for a long time, but he's still effectively a contractor and running his own game consulting business / dev studio. For a Japanese company to effectively allow their most profitable brand (at this time) to be put in the hands of a Gaijin... is something. They really did have their own 180 which started when they got the PS3 back on track, and now in the entire philosophy behind next gen.

Really, really good news for us gamers. If they didn't, we might have been looking at two DRM ad boxes right now, with one underpowered and the other built as a box that only a quantum physicist would love.
Quote:

I have been a fan of the XMB since the PSP launch, and I am sad to see it go after 8 years. It was simple and easy to use, and everything you needed was always just seconds away. I wish it was still an option on the Vita and PS4.

The store on the otherhand... they really need to speed it up, that, or go back to the old store, even with fast internet it takes forever to load some stuff. Hopefully the PS4 is "instant" like they love to throw around.

I think it comes down to RAM yet again. Before the store was much less visual because it ran as a XMB OS APP (which probably meant it had even less resources allocated to it, ala the pretty ineffectual web browser). I think they changed it up and made it a full blown app to get access to the entire pool of memory. Hints of the old way are still there, for instance purchasing DLC through a game.

512MB or RAM, when you want to do a visual centric storefront, is pretty slim potatoes. Live isn't nearly as bad, but as they've added more features and also gone more and more media centric, it's also slowed considerably compared to when it was first around. Still, I always wonder why they didn't pre-cache the entire thing to the HDD. You still need to load it into memory, but a lot of the slowness seems to be waiting to recall the data ala a web page.

The large pools of memory for games and dedicated to the OS's next gen are a god send. Thats for sure.
post #3358 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Whats more amazing to me is that they handed over PS4 development to Cerny, who isn't even a Sony employee. He's been around them for a long time, but he's still effectively a contractor and running his own game consulting business / dev studio. For a Japanese company to effectively allow their most profitable brand (at this time) to be put in the hands of a Gaijin... is something. They really did have their own 180 which started when they got the PS3 back on track, and now in the entire philosophy behind next gen.

Really, really good news for us gamers. If they didn't, we might have been looking at two DRM ad boxes right now, with one underpowered and the other built as a box that only a quantum physicist would love.
Very true. I am looking forward to next gen. I know this sounds dumb to some people on here, but I really wish more of my real friends where looking at Sony. As is, they are still jumping in on Xbox only. For some of you guys, it may seem like it shouldn't be a big deal, but me and my wife are moving next summer, so it would be nice to have a console that I can play and keep up with all my friends. If they were at least looking at Sony, I would probably be head over heels with the PS4 right now.

post #3359 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Being a new convert to Sony, I never really paid much attention to the PS commercials in the past. With my PS4 preorder locked in, I've been paying closer attention to their adds...

If you missed them, go to Youtube and watch all the Kevin Butler videos. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't.

post #3360 of 18100 Old 07-05-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

You could always keep up with your friends using the 360 or windows 8 now that your gamer tag can be transferred there, Ive never had any PS before so this is my first , some of my friends are moving but others are not . Just got to do whats right for you.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page