PlayStation 4 - Page 115 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3421 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I don't think I've worn out any controllers since my Atari 400 and Atari ST. The Atari 400 ones were just bad quality and the ST ones where because of mega competition sessions of Speedball with my friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

lool, he said "Died" so I thought he means really died lol.

Yeah it sucks to use the cable and for some reason it happens at the absolute worst times i.e when you're about to fight a boss lol, my real complaint though is that the PS3 doesn't charge the DS3 when it's in standby mode, since PS4 already fixed that issue it'll be a great improvement, a charged controller should be more than enough for one session, even a Very long one.

I guess I used the wrong words. I didn't mean died just low. When the battery gets to low to play, it's nice to be able to throw a new battery in. Otherwise you have to be tethered to a cable. With the PS3 I could not use the controller very much because of the design, but whenever I picked it up I needed to charge the battery since it sat for so long. With the new controller design with the PS4 I'm hoping to not have issues with my hands so I hope to be able to use it normally. I guess my only solution will be to have a secondary controller and have that charged up to switch out when the other controller battery gets low.

With the 360, I had multiple systems and multiple controllers. So I also had multiple rechargeable batteries. So when one got low I just took a battery off the charger and quickly replaced it. I also don't want to have to hang the controller off of the console to charge it. My controllers are typically not near the consoles. I guess as long as I can charge the PS4 controller in another location it will work fine for me with a secondary controller. Then I will be able to just switch to it when the battery in the primary controller is low.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3423 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
That's exactly what I do. Have a secondary charging while I'm playing with the other. Comes in handy with long BF3 sessions.
post #3424 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Off-topic posts have been removed. One member temporarily lost access to this thread. Wonder why? Go back and read my previous post. Pay close attention to the "RIGHT" and "WRONG" examples. And try not post one of the "WRONG" examples a page after my warning. biggrin.gif

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3425 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Anyone notice that the USB ports are located a little inside? Won't that create a problem for sticking in most USB drives, which come in various sizes and shapes. An extender might be required, but won't that make the whole setup ugly?
post #3426 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
Excellent DS3 vs DS4 Comparison:

Got me hyped even more now, even though I had no real issues with the DS3 because I'm just used to PS controllers for so long, the DS4 really feels like they truly perfected it. I don't have very long fingers, but I do have large palms so I feel the extra size/more ergonomic improvement will result in an Excellent grip!!

The tighter analog was definitely a must though and I can't wait to use the thing.

BTW, does the touch pad register taps as well instead of actually clicking the button? Like how we do it on regular laptop pads? I can't see why it wouldn't be able to do that but it'd suck if for whatever reason it didn't

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #3427 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 10:31 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So is there no removable battery again for the PS4 controller? That was one of the things I disliked about the PS3 controller, that if your battery died, you had to be tethered to a cable to charge it, instead of being able to pop in a fresh battery.

Totally disagree

I think it's way more convenient to simply plug in the USB cable and charge up the controller than it is to have to stock up on AA batteries.

Saves a damn good amount of money in the long run as well.
post #3428 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff View Post

I don't think I've worn out any controllers since my Atari 400 and Atari ST. The Atari 400 ones were just bad quality and the ST ones where because of mega competition sessions of Speedball with my friend

Yeah, I remember going through more than one with my Atari 800. I had better luck with the ones with my C64 and Amiga 500. As far as consoles, I've worn out a PS1 controller from marathon Tekken play. Hopefully the PS4 controller is as well built as it appears to be.
post #3429 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard757 View Post

Totally disagree

I think it's way more convenient to simply plug in the USB cable and charge up the controller than it is to have to stock up on AA batteries.

Agree.
post #3430 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Will the PS4 have a option in gamer profiles to remember that I would like to have the y axis inverted in my action games? No more Walking Dead lack of an option.
post #3431 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:

Totally disagree

Rechargeable batteries. They work wonders. I've never run into an issue with the DS because I always let them sit on the official charging base but it's an issue for some and the 360 route of allowing rechargeable batteries to be swapped out does have some merit.
post #3432 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

Excellent DS3 vs DS4 Comparison:

Got me hyped even more now, even though I had no real issues with the DS3 because I'm just used to PS controllers for so long, the DS4 really feels like they truly perfected it. I don't have very long fingers, but I do have large palms so I feel the extra size/more ergonomic improvement will result in an Excellent grip!!

The tighter analog was definitely a must though and I can't wait to use the thing.

BTW, does the touch pad register taps as well instead of actually clicking the button? Like how we do it on regular laptop pads? I can't see why it wouldn't be able to do that but it'd suck if for whatever reason it didn't

I swear if that dude could have had sex with the controller he would have. I'm still trying to figure out how the new light flashing is better than the old leds when syncing the controller lol.
post #3433 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Quote:

Totally disagree

Agree.

From my experience, a good set of four AA rechargables is $10 plus $10 charger. The ones I use with my 360 have lasted well over a year maybe two now. So a $20 investment plus another $10 for a set of AAAs for my headset is a pretty good investment. Learned that lesson the hard way after several Microsoft battery packs, controllers and chargers. I'm not enthused by the PS4 sticking with a built in design and I should probably have ordered a second controller...
post #3434 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I've hard more battery issues with my 360s than my PS3s, and I appreciated the lightness of Li-on over Ni-MH. A cool idea is to have a power USB hub under your coffee table or couch, and that way you can plug in any portable devices that need charging and still use it close to where you are sitting?

Has anyone heard how many controllers each system supports now? I was hoping they had increased both to 8 controllers, the PS3 defaulted as the party machine for some sports games since it had support for 7, but darn that odd number.
post #3435 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 459
I flipped back a few tens of pages and don't see mention. Do we know if any headsets for the PS3 are PS4 compatible? Got some cash leftover from trading and would like to get one now if possible. Gamestop has an Astro begging me to buy it! If not ill just hold out. Next question is what if anything a next gen headset will bring to the table?
post #3436 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

I swear if that dude could have had sex with the controller he would have. I'm still trying to figure out how the new light flashing is better than the old leds when syncing the controller lol.
I'm sure it wasn't for a lack of trying wink.gif
post #3437 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:

Totally disagree

The removable battery would be rechargeable, like they have for the 360. Or if you put AA batteries in, you could still use rechargeable AA batteries. With teh 360 controller I know it can take AA batteries but I have battery packs that take the place of AA batteries. So they can quickly be changed. This method has worked out well for me over the years. But otherwise I would use rechargeable AA batteries now since that is what I use in all my remotes and flashlights. Instead of using Alkaline batteries.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3438 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

I flipped back a few tens of pages and don't see mention. Do we know if any headsets for the PS3 are PS4 compatible? Got some cash leftover from trading and would like to get one now if possible. Gamestop has an Astro begging me to buy it! If not ill just hold out. Next question is what if anything a next gen headset will bring to the table?

I don't think we don't know for certain yet, I'd say there is a better chance on the PS4, than with the Xbox one(they've changed the plug).

I'm pretty sure the PS4 will retain bluetooth headset and microphone support.

As to whether or not to get it now? The price of the Astro should drop since it'll no longer work with the Xbox One.

The next new thing is 11.1 systems with height cues, so newer headsets could support them( though I don't think for a while as their tech seems to lag quite a bit behind receivers), DTS-X for headphone encoding should be out in hardware shortly.
post #3439 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
I wonder how long Sony will continue to offer unlimited preorders for every retailer? I am probably going to cancel one of my preorders since they will probably have several million available at launch and all of my friends who want one already have preorders thanks to the lack of a limit...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #3440 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff View Post

I don't think we don't know for certain yet, I'd say there is a better chance on the PS4, than with the Xbox one(they've changed the plug).

I'm pretty sure the PS4 will retain bluetooth headset and microphone support.

As to whether or not to get it now? The price of the Astro should drop since it'll no longer work with the Xbox One.

The next new thing is 11.1 systems with height cues, so newer headsets could support them( though I don't think for a while as their tech seems to lag quite a bit behind receivers), DTS-X for headphone encoding should be out in hardware shortly.
Think there's any chance in games being optimized for 11.1 like The Expendables 2?
post #3441 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I wonder how long Sony will continue to offer unlimited preorders for every retailer? I am probably going to cancel one of my preorders since they will probably have several million available at launch and all of my friends who want one already have preorders thanks to the lack of a limit...

I have to wonder about this. Have Sony really got there manufacture and supply logistics that well organized? Or is there a possibility that some of the preorders will not be able to fulfilled launch day?

The PS4 is definitely less complex than the PS3 to manufacture and we have not heard of any rumoured manufacturer problems for the PS4.

Is it better for them to completely saturate the market or to artificially restrict supply so they can say they are sold out? Mind you I guess it possible to do both. Have a cutoff date for preorders, to determine allocations, fulfill all preorders and have only a limited number of additional floor stock.
post #3442 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Think there's any chance in games being optimized for 11.1 like The Expendables 2?

I think there is a good chance for it, games benefit far more from 3d positional sound than movies IMO. I can't see a reason why the PS4 hardware wouldn't be physically capable of it, they only thing that would be required would be licensing.
post #3443 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

From the sound of it Gamestop will be given enough to meet all preorders and none will be available for walk ins. Sony has been making units since before E3 and production is already ramping up, with production exceeding one million a month sometime in August. They could have 4-5 million ready by the end of October if everything goes smoothly.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #3444 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 08:05 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

From the sound of it Gamestop will be given enough to meet all preorders and none will be available for walk ins. Sony has been making units since before E3 and production is already ramping up, with production exceeding one million a month sometime in August. They could have 4-5 million ready by the end of October if everything goes smoothly.

I read they were not in mass production at least that was the case 3 weeks ago, any links?
post #3445 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift1 View Post

I read they were not in mass production at least that was the case 3 weeks ago, any links?

They began limited production of the final chipset last year, and began test runs of the final hardware prior to E3 (they had final hardware with games running on them at E3) Here is a link (it will be by September that they hit one million a month, so I could be spot on or a few weeks off on this one.) PS4 production should be up and running in smaller batches on most of the lines until they are all tested and full production is approved.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130611PD207.html

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #3446 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 PM

Liked: 832
CD Projekt RED has said that there will be no differences between the PC and PS4 (and XBone) versions of Witcher 3. They'll all run at top quality:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/05/interview-the-witcher-3s-game-director-discusses-story-battle-next-gen-and-lack-of-multiplayer/
Quote:
G: Will the game look any different on different platforms or you’re aiming to make it look the same? Can gamers with high-end PCs expect better visual fidelity at maximum settings like for The Witcher 2?

K: We’re aiming to deliver the same experience on all the platforms – we’re developing The Witcher 3 on next gen platforms so visual cutbacks will not be the case here. Eyecandy for everyone!

Also, apparently Respawn chose the Source engine for Titanfall because they were impressed how well it played with PS3:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-titanfall-tech-analysis
Quote:
Curiously, the biggest deciding factor in going with Valve's tech now has little bearing on its development. During an interview with Polygon, Respawn software engineer Richard Baker says the original reason the team went with the Source engine had much to do with wanting "an engine that would work with PS3, because that's the riskiest platform in current-gen". The call came following the high quality delivery of Portal 2 on PS3 back in 2011, but with next-gen platforms looming large, the project quickly jumped ship to Xbox One.

Digital foundry did a rundown, and it's not too impressive IMO. Never been a big fan of slow moving, twitch hit-scan shooters. From the sounds of it, Titanfall is going to be a very basic shooter technology wise. No physics, no ragdolls, pre-canned animations and everything has been simplified to streamline the netcode it seems.
post #3447 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

CD Projekt left room in that statement for there to be framerate, resolution, and AA differences. Sounds like the core graphics will be the same but they were vague enough that there could be some big gaps between versions and still be truthful.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #3448 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Funny how the xbone is not for sale in Poland and CD Projekt Red is a Polish dev.
post #3449 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Funny how the xbone is not for sale in Poland and CD Projekt Red is a Polish dev.
Except for the fact that the game is slated for a 2014 release, and I'm guessing the Xbox will be in Poland by then.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #3450 of 18221 Old 07-06-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

Except for the fact that the game is slated for a 2014 release, and I'm guessing the Xbox will be in Poland by then.

I'm getting it on the lead platform and I'm sure the devs will also.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page