Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 17078 Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

The funny thing is, people make such a big deal out of BC before a console's launch or in the early stages, then after a while they just no longer care about it and focus on the next gen games, just like what happened with the PS3.

If Microsoft won't offer BC, IMO this won't be an issue for Sony at all. If BC means more cost = higher price tag = less PS4 sales or cutting back on the next gen techs, then I for one would gladly accept the fact that it won't be included.

This is coming from someone who owns a none-BC PS3 and went all the way and bought another launch 60GB PS3 purely for playing PS2 games upscaled, so it's not like I'm the type who doesn't care about such stuff lol (I sold my 60GB later though when I started using PCSX2, it's just too awesome).

Very, VERY true. Once PS4 software has been released and there is a bevy of fantastic games to play, the BC thing will die off. I think the one MAJOR difference between this upcoming generation's BC as opposed to the current one is that in the current generation, there was no digital carryover from the PS2. It was all disc based software and that is it. With the PS3 => PS4 transition, there is all the stuff downloaded from the PSN that will never be able to be played on the PS4. That is what I think makes it slightly different and more angst driven from consumers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 17078 Old 03-11-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurg View Post

Very, VERY true. Once PS4 software has been released and there is a bevy of fantastic games to play, the BC thing will die off. I think the one MAJOR difference between this upcoming generation's BC as opposed to the current one is that in the current generation, there was no digital carryover from the PS2. It was all disc based software and that is it. With the PS3 => PS4 transition, there is all the stuff downloaded from the PSN that will never be able to be played on the PS4. That is what I think makes it slightly different and more angst driven from consumers.

Yeah, and I think its far more unlikely that PSN stuff will see HD remakes.

Just last night I threw f-zero GX in my Wii. It was the first time I used any sort of BC in years, and even though I didnt play for very long.....I was glad I could. I don't have a GameCube anymore, and the Wii U not have GC compatibility makes it a tougher sell. It's like sending the 30ish GC games on my shelf off to die.

OTOH, Id much rather play a HD remake of Fzero GX, but Nintendo will never make that. At least I have some hope that Sony will start to port games ASAP, which softens the blow.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #363 of 17078 Old 03-11-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I'm not saying that Sony is making a huge mistake with the lack of BC. They have to do, what they have to do. Adding another $100 to the price for BC wouldn't make much sense.

However, Sony will have hell to pay for this, for the next couple of years. Same thing with Microsoft. Both companies are going to have hell to pay for this for a couple of years.

Again, does the fact that customers want BC so much make sense ? No. Is it logical ? Not really. But none of that matters. For whatever psychological reason it is, none of that really matters. What matters is that both companies are going to loose customers because of this. Those same customers might "eventually" buy the new console, but when Sony and MS needs them in the early years of these consoles, they aren't going to be there.
post #364 of 17078 Old 03-11-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Don't count it out for the nextbox yet. The PS3 is a dual chip solution, with two different types of ram - which differs from the type in the PS4. Its a lot to include just for BC.

The 360 slim had its two chips integrated into a single SoC/APU just like the PS4, and the nextbox is still rumored to continue to use DDR3. Including that single chip may not be so cost prohibitive, and the leaked docs from a few months ago indicated it would be included.

post #365 of 17078 Old 03-11-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
OK, personally I want the PS4 to be as cheap as possible and if that means no backwords capability than so beat it. Still, by the time the PS4 is out, it probably cost not more than $30 to implement. They can always put it in a higher priced model but as I said, it's true that Sony will still want to sell a ton of PS3's. For people who still have PS3 games to play when the PS4 comes out and it all of a sudden dies, they might decide to buy another PS3 and perhaps some of them might have decided to get a PS4 instead which would have increased it's install base. Putting down money on another PS3 will probably cause them to delay getting a PS4. Still, only Sony knows how difficult it would be to add PS3 backwords compatible and at what price. It's definitely a gamble since if it's too complicated, it isn't worth it. But if it's not too complicated and can be done cheaply or in a more expensive model, they'll gain extra PS4 sales initially.

I'm sure Sony is internally arguing over this very matter on what the best approach is. In one of the articles talking about Sony lowering the price of the PS Vita in Japan, it was said that their were a ton of arguments over rather they should do it or not. I think their were talks back then of Activision threatening to stop making games for the PS3 if the sales didn't pick up so it's definitely a lot for Sony to think about. One possible solution would be to allow people to use Gaikai on PSN games that they own for free rather than needing to buy a subscription. It's not the best solution but it's better than nothing.
post #366 of 17078 Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Don't count it out for the nextbox yet. The PS3 is a dual chip solution, with two different types of ram - which differs from the type in the PS4. Its a lot to include just for BC.

The 360 slim had its two chips integrated into a single SoC/APU just like the PS4, and the nextbox is still rumored to continue to use DDR3. Including that single chip may not be so cost prohibitive, and the leaked docs from a few months ago indicated it would be included.

Wow...

If Infinity were to have legit hardware based BC, that could be a potential death blow to the PS4 in terms of being the overall winner in North America. I'm not sure how it would play out worldwide, but in the USA, the game would pretty much be over. As long as Microsoft's hardware specs are "within range" of the PS4. Developers are going to code to the lower common denominator anyways, which means they already were probably going to lead with Infinity and port up to PS4. (Obviously I'm talking about 3rd parties that have had their North American bread buttered more on the 360 side of the coin this gen)

A huge differential such as legit BC and sketchy streaming BC is pretty freaking significant, all things considered. Sony might have to keep online free after all.

I was reading somewhere that the PS4 had zero chance of having BC, and that Infinity had like a 10 percent chance.... The thinking being that neither one would have any compatibility.
post #367 of 17078 Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The importance of BC is being greatly overestimated. Most people who care about BC already have the older console, and new owners would rather buy new games that look better. There is little chance IMO that it will be included, and it doesn't really affect sales that much.
post #368 of 17078 Old 03-11-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Sony will still be selling a ton of PS3's though. If they were to stop the production by say September of 2015 and have backwords comparability in the PS4, the sales would pick up. Why wouldn't it? Once people's PS3's start breaking, they'd eighter have to buy used and have a risk of another PS3 breaking or pay a bit more for the PS4. Again, it still seams like Sony will be strongly supporting the PS3 and in that case, they wont care if it eats into the PS4 sales especially if they might be loosing a little money per unit. All I was doing was just giving a scenario since I know Sony have officially stated it wont have hardware backwards compatibility built in.

Funny but it's also true that you get a lot of value buying the PS3 as your Blu-Ray player over a stand alone player so I guess that's one extra reason to keep the PS3 around for a while.
post #369 of 17078 Old 03-11-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

The importance of BC is being greatly overestimated. Most people who care about BC already have the older console, and new owners would rather buy new games that look better. There is little chance IMO that it will be included, and it doesn't really affect sales that much.

Do you realize how long it's been for a home game console to NOT have backwards compatibility ?

Wii U - BC with wii games
Wii - BC with gamecube games
PS3 - BC with PS2 games (initially)
360 - BC with certain Xbox 1 games
Xbox - first system by Microsoft, so exempt
GameCube - no BC with N64 games

The GameCube, in November 2001, was the last gaming console to not have backwards compatibility with it's previous incarnation. Now, remember that the N64 uses cartridges, so it's hard to expect the GameCube to somehow be backwards compatible with cartridges. Nobody was pissed off back then that the Cube wasn't BC, because nobody was expecting it.

We live in a different world now. All these other consoles have come since the GameCube, and they have had BC with their previous incarnation. Sony took it out of the PS3, but during the early years of the PS3, when it really mattered, it was fully backwards compatible. The 360 had spotty BC via the emulation, but it was just enough to allow for people to not complain about it too much. Sure, certain games wouldn't work, but for the most part, it seemed to work "ok". If there is zero backwards compatibility this time, that would be a huge blow to the industry overall. It's going to affect people to a MUCH greater degree, because we coming off the first generation where people EXPECT to transfer their digital library to the next system. There are many gamers that have huge libraries of digital games on the PS3 or 360. They have an investment both financially and emotionally to all those games. They have a natural expectation to see their library move along with them.

Now, I'm not saying it's going to be a complete disaster or anything like that, but there will be a large segment of the gaming population that is going to be instantly turned off by next-gen, if and when they find out that the huge digital library that they have been building on their current system, is stuck on that system and can't move forward. I know the first rebuttal is going to be " but it's not like your Xbox 360 or PS3 is going to magically vanish the second you bring home a next-gen console!" "You can still enjoy that huge library just like normal"

"So you have to switch it to HDMI 3, instead of HDMI 2. So you have to go into the drawer and get the 360 controller, or the dualshock 3. So you have to turn the "old" system on. So you have to have another huge console in your TV rack, bumping up against the soundbar. Also, remember that you have the kinect 2, stacked on the first kinect, and you have the PS3 eye, stacked on the PS4 eyebar. Yeah, good luck with that...
post #370 of 17078 Old 03-11-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Changing the topic a bit, I think Sony should try to sell higher tier apps for the PS4. One example is a full featured editing software. Basically you'd be able to put your camcorder's HD footage inside and edit your HD home movies with effects and everything. This may seam a bit too far fetched to some but I see it as a brilliant idea. It could be say $100 for an affordable version and a far more advanced version for say $400.
post #371 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Now, I'm not saying it's going to be a complete disaster or anything like that, but there will be a large segment of the gaming population that is going to be instantly turned off by next-gen, if and when they find out that the huge digital library that they have been building on their current system, is stuck on that system and can't move forward.
As much as it sucks, this will only be an issue if one console does it and the other doesn't. If neither console supports BC (especially digital), then it won't make a difference.

And I know I've said this a bunch in this thread already, but this has very little to do with "playing old games." It has everything to do with the perceived value of a purchase. The value of a digital purchase depends entirely on the perceived longevity of the product. Times have changed. Consumers expect digital products to be supported indefinitely. I don't keep my old 2nd Generation iPod to listen to old music, nor should I have to keep my PS3 connected to my TV in order to play digital purchases.

And it will absolutely affect how consumers make purchasing decisions in the future. Why would they buy a digital game from PSN when Sony has a track record of discontinuing support? It's an incredibly short-sighted decision on Sony's part. Is it disastrous? No. But it does show that Sony continues to act like it's still 1998.

Slightly off topic: I just was reading up on the format wars and battle over BC during the conversion to color television broadcast in the 1950s. The solution that won out ended up finding a workable BC solution for black and white sets (basing grey-scale on green values). The competitor was trying to force consumers to all upgrade to color sets by not allowing for BC. Slightly different situation, but it amounts to the same thing. Squeezing consumers always ends up in a spiral of diminishing returns for the sake of short-term gains. One would hope that media companies would be able to learn from the past rather than senselessly repeat it.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #372 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 12:30 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Now, I'm not saying it's going to be a complete disaster or anything like that, but there will be a large segment of the gaming population that is going to be instantly turned off by next-gen, if and when they find out that the huge digital library that they have been building on their current system, is stuck on that system and can't move forward. I know the first rebuttal is going to be " but it's not like your Xbox 360 or PS3 is going to magically vanish the second you bring home a next-gen console!" "You can still enjoy that huge library just like normal"

I disagree with this. "a large segment of the gaming population that is going to be instantly turned off by next-gen"?

When I read things like this on forums dedicated to gaming and gamers, i feel that they are not posted by true 'gamers'. You may be asking in your head 'well...what is a gamer then, sir?'

Well let me try to give insight into this. At the mere mention of 'next-gen' to a gamer the statement will immediatly send them into an excited frenzy, drooling over the future and what it holds. We, the gamer, are looking forward to the future, and not looking in the rearview mirror. AND... gamers will be VERY, VERY onurned on by next-gen. And nothing will stop us from making a day one purchase. Old generations are dead and buried. This isn't a weekend at Bernie's. Let them rest in peace. And...why would I be conerned with playing Battlefield 3, when I'll be playing Battlefield 4!!!!!!!

'The industry' is making BILLIONS and BILLIONS of dollars, and it ain't comin from anything last gen! if someone wants to play ps2 games (where are you?) they gotta buy a ps2!

'A huge blow to the industry'? Why do people even care about 'the industry' these days? It's all media hype. What a soap opera.

Give me consoles! Give me new games! Give me graphics! Give me the best!!
post #373 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
My favorite part about a new console generation? The hordes of insane fanboys, e-peen competitions over who is a "tru gamR," and the use of lots and lots of exclamation marks.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #374 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
I agree digital games should continue to function for "ever" because we paid for it, but IMHO it's unreasonable to want it to work on every new device out there, that could possibly hold back future techs because God knows how they'll be designed to function.

When I buy a PS3 video game disc, I expect it to run on a PS3 console and not on future PS devices, why would people expect something else or more from a digital version on the same console? PS4 will still use PSN, which means the network will be there for PS3 users to access and use as well to re-download and update PS3/PSN games, if they won't cut any PSN support for the PS3 (which would be ridiculous if such thing happened btw unless Sony goes bankrupt and ALL of their servers get shut down), I honestly don't see this being a big issue at all.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #375 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 03:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Wow...

If Infinity were to have legit hardware based BC, that could be a potential death blow to the PS4 in terms of being the overall winner in North America. I'm not sure how it would play out worldwide, but in the USA, the game would pretty much be over. As long as Microsoft's hardware specs are "within range" of the PS4. Developers are going to code to the lower common denominator anyways, which means they already were probably going to lead with Infinity and port up to PS4. (Obviously I'm talking about 3rd parties that have had their North American bread buttered more on the 360 side of the coin this gen)

A huge differential such as legit BC and sketchy streaming BC is pretty freaking significant, all things considered. Sony might have to keep online free after all.

I was reading somewhere that the PS4 had zero chance of having BC, and that Infinity had like a 10 percent chance.... The thinking being that neither one would have any compatibility.

I hardly think it'll be a death blow, but it'll be a huge differentiator. OTOH, MS could look at Sony cutting out BC and say "phew, now we don't need to either". The decision and design has probably been made long ago though. It's going to be a pretty big deal for the first year or so. People aren't going to want to hear Sony's excuses.

post #376 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 03:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

I agree digital games should continue to function for "ever" because we paid for it, but IMHO it's unreasonable to want it to work on every new device out there, that could possibly hold back future techs because God knows how they'll be designed to function.

When I buy a PS3 video game disc, I expect it to run on a PS3 console and not on future PS devices, why would people expect something else or more from a digital version on the same console? PS4 will still use PSN, which means the network will be there for PS3 users to access and use as well to re-download and update PS3/PSN games, if they won't cut any PSN support for the PS3 (which would be ridiculous if such thing happened btw unless Sony goes bankrupt and ALL of their servers get shut down), I honestly don't see this being a big issue at all.

Im pretty sure when MS cut XBL support for the original Xbox, that was the last chance for anyone to download XBLA games for the Xbox 1. It can happen sooner than you think, Sony doesnt have to go bankrupt.

post #377 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
That's what sony wants you to do.

Instead of buying $70 games, they want you breaking out Poy Poy and Irritating Stick.
post #378 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

Do you realize how long it's been for a home game console to NOT have backwards compatibility ?

The GameCube, in November 2001, was the last gaming console to not have backwards compatibility with it's previous incarnation. Now, remember that the N64 uses cartridges, so it's hard to expect the GameCube to somehow be backwards compatible with cartridges. Nobody was pissed off back then that the Cube wasn't BC, because nobody was expecting it.

We live in a different world now. All these other consoles have come since the GameCube, and they have had BC with their previous incarnation. Sony took it out of the PS3, but during the early years of the PS3, when it really mattered, it was fully backwards compatible. The 360 had spotty BC via the emulation, but it was just enough to allow for people to not complain about it too much. Sure, certain games wouldn't work, but for the most part, it seemed to work "ok". If there is zero backwards compatibility this time, that would be a huge blow to the industry overall. It's going to affect people to a MUCH greater degree, because we coming off the first generation where people EXPECT to transfer their digital library to the next system. There are many gamers that have huge libraries of digital games on the PS3 or 360. They have an investment both financially and emotionally to all those games. They have a natural expectation to see their library move along with them.

"So you have to switch it to HDMI 3, instead of HDMI 2. So you have to go into the drawer and get the 360 controller, or the dualshock 3. So you have to turn the "old" system on. So you have to have another huge console in your TV rack, bumping up against the soundbar. Also, remember that you have the kinect 2, stacked on the first kinect, and you have the PS3 eye, stacked on the PS4 eyebar. Yeah, good luck with that...

Over reaction contuinues. Let's look at your list, which itself points to how insignifcant BC is for a system's potential for success:
Quote:
The BC is possible in these recent machines because each next gen release (counting the last three) were built off of the tech of the generation before it, tech which wasn't all that complicated to emulate to begin with.

But put aside what was possible tech-wise for a second - does anyone seriously believe that a "large segment of the gaming population" (your words for a non-BC PS4)) would have ignored the Wii if it didn't have GameCube BC? I mean, really? That's completely absurd.

Add to that the fact that BC for the Wii U has done absolutely jack to help it in its initial launch period. How it fares in the future will have zero to do with BC or not.

Quote:
As explained several times earlier, dropping BC from the PS3 had zero negative impact on sales, which happend to go up. In regions around the world that never had BC in their PS3s to begin with, the console has enjoyed more relative success than some of the regions who initially had it.

BC is a nice feature to have, but is not a significant deal maker/breaker at all.

Quote:
Half of all XB1 games are not supported by BC on the 360. A lot less games were supported at launch, which is during the crucial early transition period some here have crowed is so important of a reason for offering BC.

Having limited BC support at launch didn't help/hurt its success in any measurable way. BC is a nice feature to have, but is not a significant deal maker/breaker at all.

Lastly, the PS4 will indeed have PS3 support through Gaikai streaming, which also allows us to play PS3 games on the Vita. We'll of course have to see how that works out.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #379 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm excited by the PS4. I've been a one console guy since buying the original Playstation. I've never been a day 1 guy though. I got the 40GB model PS3 soon after it came out. I just put in a 750GB hard drive because my 320GB upgrade was full. Being a member of PS+ and a big fan of a lot of the small PSN titles I have a huge library of favorite games and unplayed freebies and discounted purchases. Being a family man my gaming time is limited. I don't play FPS because I don't have 4 hours a day to dedicate to the newest CoD or the like. I still play Super Start Dust at least least once a week, I play Dead Nation and Pain. My 4 year old is learning to play Pixel Junk Monsters with me. I haven't touched inFamous or Journey or many of the other instant game collection titles I've gotten with PS+. Backward compatibility has become kind of important for me. I've got hundreds of dollars of software stored on my PS3. If it dies a year from now and I have a choice between upgrading to PS4 fro $400 and losing out on all the investment I had in PS3 or buying a PS3 for $150-$200 I would think I would go with a PS3.

If I could hand down the PS3 to my kids and get a PS4 for myself day one and be able to use all my PSN stuff on both, I'd do it.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #380 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Over reaction contuinues. Let's look at your list, which itself points to how insignifcant BC is for a system's potential for success:
The BC is possible in these recent machines because each next gen release (counting the last three) were built off of the tech of the generation before it, tech which wasn't all that complicated to emulate to begin with.

But put aside what was possible tech-wise for a second - does anyone seriously believe that a "large segment of the gaming population" (your words for a non-BC PS4)) would have ignored the Wii if it didn't have GameCube BC? I mean, really? That's completely absurd.

Add to that the fact that BC for the Wii U has done absolutely jack to help it in its initial launch period. How it fares in the future will have zero to do with BC or not.
As explained several times earlier, dropping BC from the PS3 had zero negative impact on sales, which happend to go up. In regions around the world that never had BC in their PS3s to begin with, the console has enjoyed more relative success than some of the regions who initially had it.

BC is a nice feature to have, but is not a significant deal maker/breaker at all.
Half of all XB1 games are not supported by BC on the 360. A lot less games were supported at launch, which is during the crucial early transition period some here have crowed is so important of a reason for offering BC.

Having limited BC support at launch didn't help/hurt its success in any measurable way. BC is a nice feature to have, but is not a significant deal maker/breaker at all.

Lastly, the PS4 will indeed have PS3 support through Gaikai streaming, which also allows us to play PS3 games on the Vita. We'll of course have to see how that works out.

It's easy for you to say all that, but you can in no way quantify the effect BC or lack thereof has on sales. The overall negative sentiment is certain to translate into some initial drag on sales, but impossible to truly say how much.

post #381 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I can't believe guys are still arguing about BC, who cares. You want BC keep your PS3 simple answer.
post #382 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

I can't believe guys are still arguing about BC, who cares. You want BC keep your PS3 simple answer.

The PS3 won't play the new PS4 games. biggrin.gif

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #383 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

My Harmony One does all that switching with one button press, and I have no soundbar. I don't leave my PS Eye out, I put it away when not in use. And since I will not buy any Wii product and do not own any XBOX products, my stacking isn't out of control.

You know, based on some of your issues, none of us should care what the new PS4 is going to look like. It should come in a 1U or 2U 19" wide form factor so it'll easily stack with the rest of our equipment. No PS3 has ever been stackable.
post #384 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 12:01 PM

Liked: 16
I´m a person that buys a couple of games each year, this year I´m getting The Last of Us and may be Beyond Two souls, I will be entertained for at leats 6 months, so, the PS4 will be "on my radar" in more than one year from now, and may be until 2015, then I´ll get bored of my "old" PS3 games and jump to the new generation, but from time to time I´ll go back to play Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 2 or even Battlefield 3.

As you can see, I am not in a hurry to get the PS4, the BC does not matter to me since I will keep my PS3, still, I will wait until full specs and prices are released.cool.gif
post #385 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

To joeblow and others:

Let me reiterate that what I'm talking about, in regards to BC, is not my personal beliefs. I'm not a guy on a soapbox that is saying that all consoles should have BC, and any console that doesn't is doomed. I honestly don't care too much about BC at all.

When I'm talking about BC, I'm talking about the general consumers out there, not myself personally.

The main point that I'm trying to get across is that this lack of BC thing, is going to be a MUCH bigger deal than most people realize. bd2003 said that this is only going to be a big deal if one of them has BC and the other doesn't. If both have zero BC, this will be a non-issue. I disagree with this. Sure, it won't be the shizstorm that it could potentially be, but you're still going to have this huge segment of the gaming population that gets a bad taste in their mouth, when they come to terms with the fact that all that digital content that they've been buying the last few years is locked in a previous console.

joeblow said above that he thought it would be absurd to think that if the Wii wasn't BC with GameCube, that it wouldn't have been the phenomenom that it was. Here is my answer to that:

1. First off, the Wii sold because of it's gimmick. So anything relating to how the Wii sold can be thrown out the window, because it wasn't selling on it's true merits as a normal gaming console. It was sold on Wii Sports and motion gaming being a big thing.

2. Tons of the early Wii owners didn't own a GameCube. Yeah, we all know that Grandma and Grampa upgraded from their GameCube and Rogue Squadron to a Wii and Wii Sports. I would say that more than half the owners from the first two years of the Wii never owned a GameCube

3. Those that did upgrade from a GameCube to a Wii, didn't have years and years of digitial content downloaded to their GameCube that was suddenly made obsolete. (yeah, I know, I know, just keep the GameCube around, you know what I mean)

So, the Wii comparison makes no sense in this regard. In fact, there really is no comparison that we can go on with this stuff. This is going to be the first time that this has ever happened. We've never gone from a partially digital console, to another console where all your digital stuff from the previous console is stuck like chuck. We are entering uncharted waters with this.

Also, one last thing that I must make clear.... When I'm talking about MS and Sony having hell to pay over the lack of BC, I'm really only talking about the first 18 months of this new lifecycle. In late 2015, and in 2016, nobody is going to care about this anymore. It's just going to be a shizstorm for the first 18 months. After that, it will pretty much blow over. However, I think the first 18 months is absolutely critical for the health of these two platforms going forward, especially with the Wii U selling so poorly right now, and with the coming of the Steam Box and Ouya and Apple TV, etc, etc. MS and Sony are going to be competing in a totally different space from 2005, 2006. This is a whole new ballgame. The industry isn't going to wait forever for the PS4 and Infinity to be successful.
post #386 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 285
On the argument about BC, people have to realize that times are changing. Sure, most older systems didn't have it, but in this day and age, almost all of our electronics have a form of BC. You don't lose out on stuff on your phone just because you update to the newer version. I think most hardcore gamers won't have issue with the lack of BC, but a lot of mainstream people will.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #387 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
It they are removing CD support...

there's still a teensy shot that a model will not have an optical drive on it.

That would also quiet everyone in regards to BC ;-)
post #388 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
That's what I don't get, it's the hardcore and not the mainstream that truly cares about such stuff. It only becomes a big factor for casuals if One of the next gen consoles will have BC, so they'll see it as an added bonus to get that console over the other without thinking too hard about their decision.

Casual people care about new games and what's "hot" right now to have some fun with their friends, they'll take a new CoD game over playing an older gen game any day of the week.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #389 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 01:43 PM

Liked: 16
You guys are making a HUGE fuzz for BC, it´s easy, don´t get rid of your PS3.
post #390 of 17078 Old 03-12-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlalotoani View Post

You guys are making a HUGE fuzz for BC, it´s easy, don´t get rid of your PS3.

You're thinking logically. The great unwashed isn't going to think like that. Reality is meaningless, perception is everything.

A lot of this is actually a subconcious thing, that we don't event think about conciously. It's a psychological thing.

We get it, most of the peeps on this forum don't care that much about BC, but we are in the minority on this one. Again, this is only going to be a huge issue for the first 18 months of the new lifecycle. In 2016 nobody is going to care about this. Of course, having said that, by 2016, we will probably have a good idea of who is going to win the generation and who isn't, so the first 18 months really is a crucial time frame, and during this time frame, there is going to be a BC shizstorm breweing behind the scenes.

Trust me.... If you're already sick of hearing about BC, just wait... You'll really be sick of it later this year.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page